Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: Keeping your pets and domestic animals safe during cataclysms  (Read 26201 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Keeping your pets and domestic animals safe during cataclysms
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2018, 05:42:09 PM »
I had one little thought...these things are so complex, but I was thinking of a scenario of a family bugging out in bad conditions, with a few pets, and there was a chance of flooding.
It might help to have life vests on the adults, kids and pets too.
It gets complicated and possibly dangerous, trying to figure out how to tether the little ones, to keep from losing them, kids and pets, if anyone has an idea please post.

Cats would need to be secured in carriers, maybe those could have a flotation underneath. Dogs could have life vests...

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2018, 06:49:17 AM »
I had to use a wrist leash on my younger son when he was a toddler, as he liked to wander off.  However, walking with ones that young is a very slow process, so it might be best to carry them if in a real hurry to get away from somewhere:

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: carrying animals
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2018, 03:16:31 PM »
- dogs, herbivores... lead them on a leash, no problem
- rabbits, ducks, chickens, etc.:

But one should really consider hard which animals are worth the hassle. I mean... cats?
Really; you have bigger issues [and they're not even really edible].
Pigeons, bees, quail, hell, even a donkey i could get, but cats?
There is such a thing as triage... Instead of a cat, take a few guinea pigs and you could be surviving off of cuy for generations to come!
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2018, 03:59:30 PM »
That is so neat, but beware, ducks don't just poop, they squirt due to drinking volumes of water.  :P

Maybe an open plastic bag of hay could be placed on the bottom of your pack though, and the duck placed on that?

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
caves
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2018, 09:24:39 PM »
I'm not planning on moving any animals in an emergency, except maybe a dog [and he/she can walk]. I'm just thinking aloud along the lines of bad luck and emergency [i.e. emergency within the emergency that would be TEOTWAWKI].

I believe the only way to keep animals safe is to have them inside a cave already or just outside of a (good) cave, ready to be shooed inside WTSHTF.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2018, 04:31:35 AM »
Am aware that there is a large survival group in the States that is planning to do that too, and it does sound like a good plan.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: good caves
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2018, 05:25:46 AM »
It has to be a good cave, though. If the Alps popped up just some 12,000 years ago, chances are they will move violently next time around, too. That means all caves in the Alps are death traps.
Similarly, great chunks of earth all over the world will not be safe.
Caves that have been around for millions of years are a different story. One must do one's research. The Alps, for instance, look solid but looks can be deceiving. And 12,000 years is like a snap of the fingers geologically speaking.
survival database

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2018, 05:28:59 AM »
How does one check ahead of time for Sasquatch?  And if a clan of them is found, does one befriend them with gifts and attempt to move "next door?"

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY SMART AND DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME

This book needs to be on your survival checklist because it offers a simple path for visioning, leading, and supervising the creation of an effective survival communications strategy.

Learn more...