Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Northern US Meetings  (Read 3572 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Northern US Meetings
« on: November 17, 2009, 09:30:37 AM »
Hello everyone in the north country of the US. You have a lot of wonderful areas up there,
which I am hoping may be some of the best survival zones in the future. I hope I'm right on that.
This is a place for you Northern US Members - your Meeting Place.
Please post to one another your ideas on safe zones,
future bugouts, away from the seacoast, etc.
survival communities forming up,
meetings,
and any other information and thoughts you want to share.
We will be looking over your shoulder, wondering if maybe that is the place to be and partaking of
that survival knowledge, already being developed over hundreds of years.

All The Best,

Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Northern US Meetings
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 01:30:09 PM »
Hi ha-loooo out thar.
Any Northern Town Hall Members care to post here?
This is your Meeting Place...
- Yowbarb

asoldierstory

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 07:05:19 AM »
Hello Yowbarb, I'm new to the board and just wanted to tell you I am living in northern minnesota, just south and west of Duluth.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 12:15:51 AM »
Hello Yowbarb, I'm new to the board and just wanted to tell you I am living in northern minnesota, just south and west of Duluth.

Hello there! Asoldierstory, it's good to see you post in the Northern US Meetings place.
All The Best,
Yowbarb
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 12:17:23 AM by Yowbarb »

alaskanwinter

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 11:55:25 PM »
Minnesota...EH?  You guys are in the banana belt!

If anyone else is in Southcentral Alaska and wants to meet up let me know.

Steve_T

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 11:44:18 AM »
Hello from northern-Illinois. I'm actually wanting to move farther north. I have a feeling it's gonna be alot warmer there soon. I would like to meet some other folks who are like-minded. I have a friend who is on-board with me. He has a farm about 1/2 south of the Wisconsin boarder. But we're hoping to find something farther north and west. We have alot to offer we think.

alaskanwinter

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 03:13:09 PM »
I found hundreds of acres of vacant land up here in Alaska.  Most of it in what they call 'The Valley'.  Matanuska/Palmer area.  No coincidence that most of the world record sized vegetables come out of Alaska every year.  And there is still a little bit of work left unlike on the outside.

PM me if you are interested and I can give you some ideas.

noproblemo2

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 03:24:39 PM »
For those of us unfamiliar with Alaska, can you post a picture of the locale and appr. price per acre ? Few more details such as water nearby, mountains etc....

alaskanwinter

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 08:40:04 PM »
Basically the deal I had worked out with landowners was to rent their land for a share of harvest.  I think many would be willing to rent land for cheap just to have someone on it.  It is nothing here to see a hundred acres that is just vacant.  A lot of people just want to have the land worked so it doesn't go fallow.  The precise terms would be worked out with individual owners.  But I found a lot of interested landowners.  Obviously being people they was a wide range of interest.

One of my biggest source for contacts was www.alaskaslist.com.  Farm and garden section.

Montanabarb

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 10:44:57 AM »
I found hundreds of acres of vacant land up here in Alaska.  Most of it in what they call 'The Valley'.  Matanuska/Palmer area.  No coincidence that most of the world record sized vegetables come out of Alaska every year.  And there is still a little bit of work left unlike on the outside.

PM me if you are interested and I can give you some ideas.

It's true about the record-sized vegetables, etc.  I was shocked to find cow parsley (basically a weed) growing up to six feet high (our Montana version is about two feet.)  It's the result of about 20 to 22 hours of daylight during the growing season and warming by the Japanese Current.

Palmer/Matanuska, etc. might sound desirable on the surface, but there are a few considerations.  First is the fact that balancing that 22 hours of daylight in summer, there are up to 22 hours of DARKNESS in the winter.  VERY depressing.  Also, the west coast of Alaska (south nearly to Oregon) is warmed by the Japanese current, the Pacific equivalent of the Gulf Stream in the Atlantic.  We are being told, with fairly sound documentation,  that the Gulf Stream has for all intents and purposes completely halted (think BP oil spill), causing terrible weather consequences in northern Europe and Russia.  If the same thing happened to the Japanese current, Alaska's climate would also change dramatically.  (However, there's no indication of anything similar happening to the the JC, YET.)

alaskanwinter

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 11:21:23 AM »
Well I never said it was paradise but at least it ain't Detroit.  The jet stream does seem to be changing.  Yesterday it was forty degrees (t shirt and shorts weather for us).  The dark does stink but is realitive to how far North you go.  The twenty hours of dark is more like Fairbanks and not Anchorage/valley.  The shortest day of the year it got dark at four and sun came up at ten.  Bad yes but I have just learned to hibernate for a couple of months which maybe our bodies are programmed to do.

Steve_T

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 04:33:19 AM »
Well I never said it was paradise but at least it ain't Detroit.  The jet stream does seem to be changing.  Yesterday it was forty degrees (t shirt and shorts weather for us).  The dark does stink but is realitive to how far North you go.  The twenty hours of dark is more like Fairbanks and not Anchorage/valley.  The shortest day of the year it got dark at four and sun came up at ten.  Bad yes but I have just learned to hibernate for a couple of months which maybe our bodies are programmed to do.

And keep in mind, when the pole shifts this will change. Hopefully for the better, which I believe it will.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 06:26:25 AM »
Basically the deal I had worked out with landowners was to rent their land for a share of harvest.  I think many would be willing to rent land for cheap just to have someone on it.  It is nothing here to see a hundred acres that is just vacant.  A lot of people just want to have the land worked so it doesn't go fallow.  The precise terms would be worked out with individual owners.  But I found a lot of interested landowners.  Obviously being people they was a wide range of interest.

One of my biggest source for contacts was www.alaskaslist.com.  Farm and garden section.

Alaskanwinter thanks for sharing this info. This is a valuable contribution
 that you have been speaking with landowners.
I had been wondering if some of the big landowners would let people rent off a parcel or two.
Going to post some questions over in the Survival Land Topic.
http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php/topic,1102.0.html
- Yowbarb
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 06:33:23 AM by Yowbarb »

alaskanwinter

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 07:57:52 AM »
Just keep in mind that people are people.  Always have been always will be (at least in this reality).  I found a lot of interest from landowners for my project.  The exact locations and parcels are not important.  What I found most of all is that there was interest.  Enormous interest.  Mostly from the landowners.  A lot of these people that got 'shares' (300 acres) back before or after statehood are in there sixties or older.  Their land just sits and does nothing.  Deep down inside they want the land to do something. 

Myself I was raised in farm country where a man's handshake was as good as gold.  That is probably the only naive mistake I made that set my project back.  I learned the hard way that a man's word doesn't mean much these days.  So yes the land is there for the taking but I would encourage any one to make a legal contract for any project they take on. 

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 09:07:58 AM »
Just keep in mind that people are people.  Always have been always will be (at least in this reality).  I found a lot of interest from landowners for my project.  The exact locations and parcels are not important.  What I found most of all is that there was interest.  Enormous interest.  Mostly from the landowners.  A lot of these people that got 'shares' (300 acres) back before or after statehood are in there sixties or older.  Their land just sits and does nothing.  Deep down inside they want the land to do something. 

Myself I was raised in farm country where a man's handshake was as good as gold.  That is probably the only naive mistake I made that set my project back.  I learned the hard way that a man's word doesn't mean much these days.  So yes the land is there for the taking but I would encourage any one to make a legal contract for any project they take on.

Alaskanwinter, thanks for your follow up post.
I totally agree - there are all kinds of people. Mankind is basically good but you always have to watch
your own back - with a signed legal contract... Also (and Lord I hope not) but there will probably be too
many rules on land use and/or construction....
All we can do is try to create a positive thought and go into action.... and try to pull in people who are cooperative...
people (like you mentioned, who deep down want their land to do something and mean something...
Good Luck, All,
Yowbarb

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!