Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Monthly cycles  (Read 5487 times)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Monthly cycles
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 05:55:02 AM »
Though black cohosh is a common ingredient in women's supplements and teas, it needs to be used with caution on a limited basis.  I may already have mentioned in another post that it can lead to a dangerous condition called Cholestasis, causing bile not to flow.  This can result in intense GB cramping due to stones precipitating out of the inadequate amount of bile.  And if the common bile duct is plugged, the liver can become damaged.

However, using the herb once a month during menstruation might be harmless for those women who don't experience GB cramping.  I also suspect that if black cohosh were to be accompanied by a taurine supplement, the bile might not be affected, as taurine promotes bile flow.  Digestive bitters or a sour food source might also be taken, as well as lecithin, which emulsifies fat and water.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 08:34:15 AM »
Good points.  I had read somewhere that no woman should take black cohosh for more than two consecutive weeks, but I wonder if that warning is on any of the available black cohosh pill bottles.

And, yes it is unlikely the use of it for a day or two during monthly cramps would be harmful. 

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 03:58:45 PM »
I normally don't recommend OTC drugs, but in the case of menstrual cramps, which can be debilitating, Ibuprofen was a Godsend years ago when aspirin and Tylenol failed to relieve pain, especially as aspirin caused further bleeding.

Two big advantages:

1. Menstrual cramps are caused by a surge in prostaglandins, which in some amount are necessary for the uterus to contract normally, as pitocin / oxytocin do for inducing labor and clearing out the uterus afterward.  But some women naturally produce more prostaglandins than necessary.  Ibuprofen was the first OTC medication that cheaply and directly addressed prostaglandin over-production.  Prior to this, severe cramps were treated by overkill with such prescription drugs as codeine, leaving patients feeling drugged but no less in pain, as codeine doesn't really dampen prostaglandin production.

2. Ibuprofen largely exits the body unchanged, leaving only harmless metabolites such as water, propionic acid, and a carbohydrate.

The main safety concern is getting it past the stomach lining so as not to cause gastric bleeding.  I recommend taking it seldom, only in gel-cap form, and only in conjunction with a Mastic Gum capsule which is capable of protecting the stomach lining and even patching any ulcer that might form.  Mastic Gum is difficult to find.  Some health food stores carry it, and it can be found on-line.  In our home, it is always kept as one of the main items in our medicine cabinet, and we try never to run out of it. 

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 05:29:55 PM »
That's an interesting product--never heard of it!

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!