Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: Prepping Topic Poll (What topic/s would you like me to start posting about)  (Read 520 times)

Solani

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Prepping Topic Poll

Hello Everyone! :)
I have decided to post a poll in regard to prepping, for whatever the future may bring us. Not just thinking about Planet X, but any long-term disaster scenario or SHTF, (Sh*t Hits The Fan) that may leave us to fend for ourselves during a prolonged time.

I know there are many prepper-members here on Town Hall but, I also know there are those that are new, may perhaps not know where to begin and feel that the whole prepping lifestyle is just way to overwhelming.  :o

You don't have to embrace the whole prepping lifestyle just to create a pantry and supply of everyday necessities, that can help you through at least the first 6 months or more.

Having actively been living the prepper lifestyle since my early teen years when I left home to be on my own, I’ve had a life time of ups and downs when it comes to prepping, what to store and what not to store, as well as how to store items properly for the longest shelf-life.

I will honestly admit that this has caused me to become sort of “blind” to the needs of those that are new at this, which want to start prepping.

I also want to be able to create a list/strategy for prepping on a budget, as I know how expensive many think prepping is. Not saying it can’t be expensive, cause yes, it can. But, that fully depends on what you buy, what brand and where you buy. You do NOT need to buy the most expensive equipment or, the already prepared meals for months or years. It’s fully possible to buy most of what you need to survive long term from your local Walmart/Big Box stores or Dollar stores. Granted, it may take some creativity in some cases but, it is highly possible.

Therefor, I am creating this poll, so that those of you out there reading this, have the possibility to chime in and let me know what subjects/topics you need to start out with, and we’ll take it from there.

I’m not going to get into guns and ammo, as I’m not qualified enough to give advise on that subject, plus the laws are different depending on where you live.

I can in no way claim to be the “expert” of all things prepping, I can only write about what I do and how I have lived for the past 43 years. I can however search for information and post what I find if there is a topic that I feel I can’t cover. That will also help me in learning things I also most likely will need in the future.

Thank you for reading and I do hope you will all participate, as it will help me get started on posting what you guys feel you need. Input in the various threads is also greatly appreciated.

Let’s all come together and help each other here. I know there are those of you out there, that have vast knowledge on this subject. ;)

//Solani
~In order to determine what is possible, one only needs to step out into what is considered impossible and look around...~
~I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change... I am changing the things I cannot accept~

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Hi Solani, I answered your poll, great idea!
I put other as well.
For now, I'd say a couple topics on how a person could hide and safeguard the survival supplies.
Caching, underground walk down hidden storage, anything which you think of.
Some ideas have been posted over the years but a good new fresh Topic from you is just what is needed.
All The Best,
and Thank You  ;D
- Barb T.

Solani

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Hi Solani, I answered your poll, great idea!
I put other as well.
For now, I'd say a couple topics on how a person could hide and safeguard the survival supplies.
Caching, underground walk down hidden storage, anything which you think of.
Some ideas have been posted over the years but a good new fresh Topic from you is just what is needed.
All The Best,
and Thank You  ;D
- Barb T.

Yes! Great suggestion for a topic is where and  how to stash your supplies, so they are less likely to be looted/stolen. I added it to the poll but will start getting some of the tips and tricks written down. This is a major issue, since not everyone lives in the country and living in an apartment or even in your own house, surrounded by nosy neighbors, can really limit where you can safely "hide" your preps. One needs to get real creative and work out ideas of how to best camouflage your supplies. I've read over the years several ingenious ways of being able to hide things in plain sight. Will both dig through my "memory bank" (brain) as well as search on the Internet for ideas.
Thank you  :)

//Solani
~In order to determine what is possible, one only needs to step out into what is considered impossible and look around...~
~I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change... I am changing the things I cannot accept~

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Adding my own requests for details on how you spent your time on your own in the Everglades (?), etc.  Was it all labor to survive or were there any amusements, such as books?

How did your survival experiences in the Southern U.S. differ in detail from other places that you've lived, such as Scandinavia?

Your own personal survival vignettes might really help to move the topic of prepping out of the abstract and into something concrete that we can all picture ourselves doing, because "Solani did it and lived to tell about it!"  That may be our new mantra in the Aftertime -  ;)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
P.S. Adding request for lots of "Solani around farm and garden" discussions and pics!  :)

Solani

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Adding my own requests for details on how you spent your time on your own in the Everglades (?), etc.  Was it all labor to survive or were there any amusements, such as books?

How did your survival experiences in the Southern U.S. differ in detail from other places that you've lived, such as Scandinavia?

Your own personal survival vignettes might really help to move the topic of prepping out of the abstract and into something concrete that we can all picture ourselves doing, because "Solani did it and lived to tell about it!"  That may be our new mantra in the Aftertime -  ;)

Hi R.R. and Everyone of course,

I really can’t say how I managed to survive my first 4 years in the swamps of Florida, as I was only a little more than 4 years old when I got dropped off back in California, curbside in front of my biological mother’s house…

During the first 4 years of my life, living in the swamps with my paternal grandmother, I’m fairly sure she at least took care of my physical needs, such as giving me food. There’s no way I’d be alive today if she hadn’t. I can’t remember eating food as in prepared meals, even if I do remember granny’s kitchen table in her trailer. Don’t remember it ever having food on it. I do however remember eating onions as one would eat an apple. I still love all types of raw onions, garlic etc. (raw and cooked) I remember going with her into the swamp and scavenging for eatable plants, roots and such, plus whatever else lived in the waters so, if we didn’t eat whatever was living in the water raw, she must have cooked. My most vivid memory of her is that she ate snails… Yes, regular snails, unless there is some special variety that lives in the swamp?? I will NEVER get to the point of where I’d eat a snail!! Bugs, grubs, whatever but snails? H*LL NO!! I don’t care if escargot is supposed to be a delicacy. A snail is a snail, period! They’re slimy and disgusting… Probably why I hate the slimy feeling of the Water-glass we use to preserve eggs, it most likely triggers memories of the slimy snails she used to eat… I do remember picking them for her, putting them in a little bucket and bringing them to her. I'd carefully with my index finger and thumb pick them up by their shells and drop them as fast as I could into the bucket. I remember wishing I had a lid for that darn bucket as those slimy creatures would slime thier way up the sides of the bucket, trying to escape. shudders I also remember picking and eating various plants when I’d be out on my own but, don’t remember what they were or, exactly what they looked like. I do gather herbs, berries, mushrooms etc. when I’m foraging out here in our forests, same as I did in Sweden but, I did have to read up on some of the native fauna over here, even though most is the same that grows in Sweden.

I remember the first time I was in a grocery store, which was after I’d been returned to my biological mother. I can’t remember who was pushing the cart though. Selective memory or, perhaps I didn’t feel it was relevant? Sitting in the seat of the cart, holding a can of some type of Campbell’s soup, (I remember what the label on the can looked like) turning it over and over in my hands, wondering what the heck it was. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was cream of mushroom soup as I still to this day when I buy one of those soup cans, I’ll just open it and eat it with a spoon straight out of the can… Why?? I have no idea. But, I’m guessing it made a lasting impression on me.

My grandmother died in 1985, 3 years before I had managed to track down my biological father, which was the one that had kidnapped me when I was an infant and flown me to Florida to live with his mother. So, I was never able to talk to her and ask all the questions I had and still have. Perhaps it was for the best that she was dead… I’ve never really gotten a response from her when I can feel her spirit presence.

Anywho… Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, I have no idea how I managed to survive, especially since I do remember spending most/a lot of my time on my own out in the swamp. I remember my “friends” both animal (my snakes) and my “unseen” friends. My “unseen” friends/playmates were as real as any of the kids I’d play with after I’d been taken back to civilization.

I do have an idea, lots of thinking about a post I will be writing and posting here on TH, which will address the whole, how we as adults will NEED to deal with and take care of those children that will be left all alone, if for whatever reason their parents don’t make it. But, that will be in its own post as I truly believe it will be a serious issue that we will need to be prepared to deal with as soon as possible when things “go south”. But yes, it needs a thread of its own so, I’ll leave it for now…

I have no memory of ever being afraid when out alone in the swamp. Never been afraid of snakes so, I’m guessing I never got bit, even though I’d play with “my” 2 snakes. One pure black snake and one that I think must have been a boa/constrictor of some sort because I remember the pattern and color it had. (like I’ve written before, I have them both tattooed on my arms as a tribute to them for being there when I needed them) They couldn’t have been huge snakes since I could hold both in my arms way back then. Have a pretty good idea what type of snake the black one was, since it was black and swam in the water. Don’t know why it never bit me. They obviously weren’t afraid of me either as they would both slither up onto my lap/legs when I was hiding in my “cave” (root system) of a few of the large Mangrove trees, when my grandmother’s husband was home and she wasn’t… I don’t know if the snakes were free to go wherever they wanted, or if they were caged but, considering that I would use them as a shield to keep granny’s husband away from me when I could, he most likely would have killed them if they’d been caged. He was scared of snakes and I knew it…

I do believe that much of what I naturally do now and don’t even think about when it comes to living off-grid and when I’m out and about in the forest, both here and when I was living in Sweden, has been largely imprinted on me due to my first childhood years in the swamps, in more ways than most people ever will be able to understand. I’m never afraid when I’m out in the wild. I am constantly aware of what’s around me, but never afraid. I’m MANY times more aware of what and who is around me when I’m in town or, around people, especially if I don’t know them. When I was younger I would be terrified of the dark, when I’d be inside of a house. I’d feel trapped, no where to run, walls everywhere. Many times, even as a young adult, I’ve ran outside in the pitch black of night, just to get away from whatever brain spook was “haunting” me inside the walls of the house/apartment. No logic in it, just memories that my unconscious mind remembers but my conscious mind doesn’t. Doesn’t change the fact that even if you don’t remember, your fight or flight response does… I’m more uncomfortable in a city full of people, than when I am alone out in the wild.

On an interesting side note perhaps. My hearing has always been way above average. Perhaps due to having to be able to hear if something was moving in the swamps? Example… We have wall to wall carpet in the bedroom and living room (I literally HATE carpets, not sure why, could be due to that I’m lazy and it’s easier to sweep and mop a bare floor. More work having to clean a carpet… lol) When I’ve gone to bed at night, I can hear the mice when they run across the carpet in the bedroom. Dan didn’t believe me as he can’t hear them and told me that mice were way to small for anyone to be able to hear their tiny feet on a carpet… I didn’t argue with him, I just got up, set a mouse trap in the middle of the room and in less than 5 minutes after I had got back in bed and turned the lights off, SNAP!! that was the first mouse. I caught 6 more that night… He hasn’t argued with me being able to hear the little rodents and their big stomping boots after that.

This proves to me that depending on what we are exposed to from a young age, we have the ability to develop or acquire heightened perceptions, if we need them for our survival…

It’s not that I’m afraid of mice, rats or whatever else that has 4 legs/feet, Being the way I am, constantly on “high alert”, I just can’t sleep when I hear their stomping feet running across the room… LOL My kids have had tame mice as well as tame rats when they were growing up and they’re quite lovable little critters (the rodents I mean… lol) but, stay the heck out of my preps you little chewie monsters! Anything else that has more than 4 feet, I hate with a passion… Spiders, cockroaches etc.…

We haven’t had a mice problem so far this winter. We have a new “housemate”. We’ve named him “Bebop”, he’s a tiny weasel (we call all the tiny weasels out here Bebop, cause they’re always bopping around like a maniac) and has taken up residency in the walls of our old farm house. He’s apparently dealing with the mice and hey, no problem! You’re welcome to live in my walls any day or night little buddy! I also give him treats out on our enclosed back porch and he’ll come to a whistle. Cute little squeaky white furball with a black tip on the end of his tail. He’ll take treats/meat from my fingertips and scurry off to stash in his/her pantry and then come back for more… The tiny weasels are quite the characters/clowns. We have larger weasels, as well as Pine Martin’s out here too but, even if they do come and eat the meat and fat we put out for both them and the various breeds of woodpeckers at the back window, they never get anywhere near as tame as the tiny weasels.   

Anyhow… As always when I write something, this post went in every direction possible… LOL

Prepping in Sweden is/was same as here, even if the prepper lifestyle isn’t very common over there. I bought my house (which is now my kids house, along with all my preps over there) in the country/forest and moved out from town when the kids were in their early teens and could get themselves around without me having to drive them everywhere. Plus, I’d made a point of staying in town as long as I possibly could while they were growing up, since I wanted them to be able to have a “normal” childhood, whatever normal is??

Prior to meeting and getting married to their dad and having the kids, (now in their mid 30ies) I lived out in an old hunters cabin. No electricity, water or indoor plumbing… Yep, damn cold in the winter when you needed to go to the outhouse… But, I didn’t have a problem with it since that was the first place I lived after I’d moved out when I was 14 from my adopted parents house. It’s what you get used to and I’d only lived with my adopted parents for about 9 years. I still had the memories/imprint from back when I lived with my grandmother and not having any modern technology. We (me and the boyfriend I had back then) did eventually about 4 years into living there get electricity in the cabin and WOW, that was an amazing feeling, not having to mess with kerosene lamps/lanterns in the pitch black of night, especially during the cold and dark winter months. Coming home to a dark and ice-cold cabin after work and having to light the fire both in the main room and in the kitchen cook stove. But, I lived that way for nearly 5 years and loved it. Even after we’d got electricity, we still used wood for our heating and cooking source, as electric heating was way out of our budget. Did get a fridge though, that we'd scavanged from the dump YAY!! LOL Never got indoor plumbing. Was quite satisfied with being able to flick a switch and have light… I think that is what everyone is going to miss most when SHTF, even more than their cellphones and computers… just being able to flick a switch and presto, it’s light… Makes everything else you must do, much easier…

Our cabin was located on my boyfriends parents property, a couple of miles from their house, with surrounding forest and lake. Weekends we’d spend hunting small game and fishing. I have never been fond of winter fishing on ice. I have huge respect for water and I don’t trust ice but, I’d still do it even if it creeped me out big time. We had a tiny fishing shack we’d built on the shore of the lake, where we could go in and warm ourselves before we’d get frostbite. We needed both the fish and the meat we could find. Most of the fish we’d keep and preserve both canning, smoking and drying along with whatever meat we had managed to get. If we’d had a really good catch, we’d take some of the fish to town and sell to the local fish store, so we could make some extra money. Back then, no one worried about anyone poisoning stuff… I miss those days!

People would ask me how we could live the way we did. I never understood how they could live the way they did. Our lifestyle was free. Wild and crazy at times, especially when he’d decided that he was going to learn how to make moonshine… LOL Having his dirt bike in the middle of the kitchen during the winter, him tinkering with it, motor oil, grease and spare parts everywhere, same time as I’d be dealing with whatever meat needed to be taken care of. Life was easier and less complicated but, everything is easier when you’re young…

On the up side, I know some of what I’ll be dealing with when things go sideways… And nope, I’m not looking forward to it, even though I have lived it and I can do it again. You get used to the modern comforts REAL fast, especially when you’re older… It’s like having a job where you make good money and then for whatever reason, you get less pay… It’s easy to get used to making good money but a pain in the but to learn over again to cope with less income. It’s doable but, you really don’t want to if you don’t have to… However, living off-grid and far away from civilization will always be where I feel most at home and at ease.

I’m actually more surprised that I managed to survive AFTER I left the swamp. Learning how to deal/cope/behave around people, a species that I’d never met any other than my grandmother, her husband and their disabled daughter, until I was 4 yrs. old and thrown into a for me new environment, which I knew absolutely nothing about… I know from years of research that most children that survive that type of beginning, unfortunately don’t do very well. And those of us that do, often have deep lifelong scars and even though we learn how to hide them and “act” like everyone else, it is not our inner nature…

//Solani

Solani

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
P.S. Adding request for lots of "Solani around farm and garden" discussions and pics!  :)

LOL  ;D I will, just let's get the snow out of the picture first...  :P :-*

I will be taking pictures of when I'm dehydrating various food stuffs. Have pictures of a few of the foods taken during the different steps when I was dehydrating this past summer, which I've been thinking about posting along with a written description how to go about doing it.

Same with canning and making soap and whatever else I do/make, although, I haven't taken any pictures of those yet. Will be making moisturizing lotion bars tomorrow since I'm running low and the cold out here -32 these past few weeks really chaps your lips and skin. I'll take pictures during the different stages of how I make them and also include the recipe if anyone wants to make their own.

//Solani

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Looking forward to it!  :)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Solani, Thank you so much for another chapter of your amazing story.  Much inspiration there for those of us who may not think we can survive what's coming.

Question about the weasels.  Do you ever have a problem with them going after your poultry?  I had a weasel attack one of my hens once.  They leave a pair of bite marks on the neck of the hen and drain the blood out.

Totally agree with you about the snails, which I have an abundance of in the garden every year.  Lots of nasty little parasites in them.  Even my hens, who love to chase and eat bugs, are disgusted by them - LOL!

Looking forward to more chapters... :)

Solani

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Solani, Thank you so much for another chapter of your amazing story.  Much inspiration there for those of us who may not think we can survive what's coming.

It's quite survivable but, there will be a huge learning curve which many will not be able to handle, regardless of how prepped they are right now, in my opinion, mostly due to psychological reasons. Add into the scenario, hoards of unprepared starving people/families and surviving, learning how to grow what we/our families need, as well as constantly being vigilant and prepared to defend what we have at all cost, will be both a major stress factor as well as a real pain in the rear, especially if we don't belong to a strong and reliable group/community...

It's easy to be a prepper now, when life around us is at least still survivable without any major issues/problems and we're somewhat able to distance ourselves from the craziness in the world, and we're not constantly faced with having to deal with many subjects that most won't even let their minds think about... It will be survival of the strongest/fittest, be it physically or mentally. However, I do believe the mental/psychological (those that will be able to adapt on a psychological level) will be those that will cope best and even learn to thrive, when what will be the "new norm" has become everyone's reality. 2nd generation will have it much easier and 3rd generation will not know of any other way to live. I'm just hoping that those of us that do initially survive, are able to pass down the LASTING knowledge of what humankind shouldn't do... But, knowing from the past, humans do have the unfortunate knack of repeating history over and over again, regardless of what those that have gone before have passed down. But also, much of what was has been, is being suppressed by TPTB...

Question about the weasels.  Do you ever have a problem with them going after your poultry?  I had a weasel attack one of my hens once.  They leave a pair of bite marks on the neck of the hen and drain the blood out.

We don't currently have chickens. I know that Dan when he was both married to his first wife as well as his second they had chickens, ducks, turkeys etc. and also rabbits and other farm animals. I asked him about the weasels bothering the chickens and he said that every now and then they'd have a problem with the occasional larger Weasel's or Pine Martin's  but most of the time, they'd see that which ever of them had been in with the chickens, stolen an egg and eaten it but left the chickens alone.

//Solani

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Prepping Topic Poll (What topic/s would you like me to start posting about)
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 07:01:19 PM »
Solani, what an amazing journey you've been on, as summarized a bit in your Reply #5.  Lots of things to comment on, but for now I just want to congratulate you for surviving your "interesting" childhood!

I certainly do resonate with you regarding feeling so much more comfortable "in the wild" and away from civilization.  There's nothing cooler than going deep into the forest and just observing, and hoping to glimpse something uncommon such as mountain lion or black bear.  They are both increasing in numbers around here, but still not common like crows, rabbits and ticks!  I saw a young, perhaps half-grown, mountain lion (still mostly black except for "banded" tail), and never realized how fluid their movements are.  I had never seen one walk in the wild, and when there are no zoo fences, they "walk" with such quiet grace and "fluid" is the best way I can describe.

Your early experiences certainly helped you form your ideas of surviving from the wilds, and thanks for posting.

I did, BTW, answer your poll and am interested in preparing for an epidemic, or for that matter any medical ailment, emergency, or issue, for which most of us are unprepared.  I did have a dream a year or two ago where I saw a huge amount of first aid that someone else had, and in the dream, I commented on how very much first aid stuff they had.  I think the dream was telling/reminding me I have very little.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 06:41:18 PM »
Solani, was your Grandmother of French Cajun ancestry?
That might explain eating snails. The common garden snail was brought here by French immigrants.
Most everything has parasites, cooked, probably fine. :)
Please continue to share any memories that pop up. Fascinating!!
:)

Solani

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 05:42:33 PM »
That might explain eating snails. The common garden snail was brought here by French immigrants.

Hi,
No, my great grandmother was Native American. (have no idea what tribe) She married my great grandfather who was an immigrant from Sweden. My heritage on my mothers side is Irish Native American. My grandfather on my fathers linage is Irish. So, I joke about being a red headed Irish Native American Aries... Which makes for one very explosive personality...  8)
 ;D
//Solani

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 01:01:02 AM »

Hi,
No, my great grandmother was Native American. (have no idea what tribe) She married my great grandfather who was an immigrant from Sweden. My heritage on my mothers side is Irish Native American. My grandfather on my fathers linage is Irish. So, I joke about being a red headed Irish Native American Aries... Which makes for one very explosive personality...  8)
 ;D
//Solani
Solani, thanks for sharing that, what a wonderful story!
And it is true a person can have quite a bit of NA heritage without actually showing it. :)
I got a look at some really old photos a few years ago and some of my NC relatives, mainly great grandmother looked olive skinned and dark haired and she could have been part NA. No way to tell now, I guess. My grandfather on my Dad's side has sort of NA looking dark eyes and sort of African type hair. Then in later pics it is shorter and all slicked down and can't tell. Then another lady on another branch of the tree on Mom's side looked like she could have been part African, a pretty lady.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 01:02:05 AM »

Hi,
 ;D
//Solani

Red-headed Aries, yep. Could be a bit of a temper now and then, haha.

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY NOW

In a post-global disaster world, predators and tyrants will have the best two-way radios, and they'll use them to surveil you at a comfortable distance.

What will you have? Signal flares and red bandannas?

If so, when you least expect it, the predators and tyrants will come to take a spoil and they will torture, rape, and kill without mercy.

This is why Radio Free Earth authors Marshall Masters and Duane W. Brayton have an urgent message for everyone with a serious interest in preparedness. That being, analog RF (radio frequency) is the heartbeat of freedom. Accept no substitutes.

Watch our free videos to learn how to stay safe and free with an affordable strategy for two way communication, both near and far.

Welcome to Radio
Free Earth

Why Radio
Free Earth

Post-Disaster
Communications

Citizens Band Radios
for Survival

BUY NOW