Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: Bug out gear a few thoughts  (Read 19584 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Bug out gear a few thoughts
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2018, 09:27:51 PM »
MadMax, thanks for reviving this much-needed Topic.
Good ideas!
:)

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2019, 04:43:14 PM »
And here's yet another head's up.

Yesterday I checked my backpack that I've intended to restock and start carrying in the car for long trips, like 100 miles from home.  To my dismay, I discovered mice had eaten holes in the bottom of the bag (not visible as I walked past it for several years!), and not only that but they gnawed into one ziplok bag, and I made the trip w/o backpack.

So now the project is to restock it ASAP.  It really does pay to have this.  What would you do if you were 100 miles from home and it's starting to get dark and the EMP that just struck Earth has disabled your car and everyone else's, plus there are no nearby motels, and none of them have electricity anyway.  What would you do?

I figure if no predators, especially two-legged, I could walk 20 or so miles a day and be home in 5 days.  The idea of being stranded far from home is unnerving, if unprepared.

MadMax

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2019, 05:11:06 PM »
Be sure to add one of these to your new (restocked) bug-out-bag!

Baofeng x Radioddity UV-5R EX 5W Dual Band Two Way Radio

https://www.radioddity.com/collections/best-selling/products/baofeng-uv-5r-ex-5w-dual-band-two-way-radio

Regular price $26.99 USD

No tax and free shipping as well!
"Ignorance is Bliss" - (Agent Smith the first Matrix Movie)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: Baofeng
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2019, 01:38:03 AM »
Okay, i know i must sound like a heretic now...
but i know nothing of "radios" [i.e. ham, 2-way, other]

Is this like a high-grade walky-talky?
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2019, 12:41:25 PM »
I still call some of these "walkie-talkie"'s because of their short range.  The literature on the site says "up to 7 miles" range.  So if you were walking 100 miles home, @ 20 miles/day, you could call home on the last day when you're close enough to jog the rest of the way.

However, all joking aside, something like this, since it's receive only, would give a person a pretty good handle on what others in the vicinity are talking about, and possibly even where they are.  This might be very helpful, whether the talkers are good or bad.

MadMax

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2019, 03:48:11 PM »
Is this like a high-grade walky-talky?

Yes it’s reasonably inexpensive, I use that same model in my “get home bag” that I keep in the car. It is reasonably robust but if it gets dropped / lost , etc… no big deal..

If you want something more “robust” :

YAESU FT-60R
144-148 / 430-450 MHz Dual Band Hand Held FM Transceiver - 5 Watts - 1000 Memories - Wideband RX

But notice the price difference ..

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-007323

Keep in mind with a small hand-held Ham radio it is able to talk through VHF/UHF repeaters in your area, with a reasonably good antenna communications over a 40-50 mile wide area from your location would not be uncommon (much more capable / useful) than a “walky-talky” ..

https://www.amazon.com/ARRL-Repeater-Directory-Inc/dp/1625951043/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?crid=28ZRGIKQTG80J&keywords=arrl+repeater+directory+2019&qid=1552088472&s=gateway&sprefix=ARRL+Repeater+%2Caps%2C-1&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

Max
"Ignorance is Bliss" - (Agent Smith the first Matrix Movie)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2019, 10:23:25 AM »
MadMax thanks for your expert advice on all this!
 :)

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY NOW

In a post-global disaster world, predators and tyrants will have the best two-way radios, and they'll use them to surveil you at a comfortable distance.

What will you have? Signal flares and red bandannas?

If so, when you least expect it, the predators and tyrants will come to take a spoil and they will torture, rape, and kill without mercy.

This is why Radio Free Earth authors Marshall Masters and Duane W. Brayton have an urgent message for everyone with a serious interest in preparedness. That being, analog RF (radio frequency) is the heartbeat of freedom. Accept no substitutes.

Watch our free videos to learn how to stay safe and free with an affordable strategy for two way communication, both near and far.

Welcome to Radio
Free Earth

Why Radio
Free Earth

Post-Disaster
Communications

Citizens Band Radios
for Survival

BUY NOW