Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Building Homes and Shelters After Planet X  (Read 9467 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Building Homes and Shelters After Planet X
« on: April 06, 2010, 07:18:19 AM »
Members: You can post here your lists of inexpensive but potentially very important and even lifesaving items for building in "The Aftertime."
(Are you a pack rat) that may be a good thing as long as you can haul your horde to your survival site
and get it secured on time. Somewhere where it will not blow away, burn up etc.

The idea is, a person who does manage to build or buy an underground shelter may have quite a few family and friends and contacts crammed into that shelter. When things calm down a bit, it will be possible to go outside and construct buildings.
They don't need to be fancy buildings at first, just a start:  Structures. What is quickly put up will depend upon the climate, etc. and immediate needs.

It would be a good idea to have some building materials tucked away,  a steel container or other structure buried in the ground. As fireproof as possible but may not have to be too expensive.

Some ideas to start out with.
A person could start collecting these things - and although some will be bulky these will probably not be so heavy. Many items will be low cost or free for the horder and the scavenger. All that will be needed is a space to put them.
Let's say a person got some land and put up a shed, he could start stashing some things there every time he went. Later these things could be safely buried for use in the Aftertime.

Cheapo universal starter list:

Duct tape
scissors
superglue
knives
twine
ropes
tarps, cloths even shower curtains
miscellaneous scrap board and wood
newspapers
scrap metal
tin cans
bottles
bags concrete
something to mix it in and instructions
cardboard boxes
scrap paper
schicken wire
a ton of work gloves various sizes for your helpers
water buckets
hatchets
saws
hammers
nails
Any ideas?

Why newspapers? To seal up spaces. I have chinked a log cabin before.
Even if there are no logs, wet newspaper could possibly help seal up spaces in anything.

-Yowbarb
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 08:47:35 AM by Yowbarb »

fox

• Members
Re: Building Homes and Shelters After Planet X
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 12:37:32 PM »
If you are familiar with stock panels, available at farm and ranch supply stores, these can be used in several
different ways to build a quick shelter. These stock panels, with a few good tarps (you will be a lot happier
if they are heavy duty silver tarps ,some are brown on one side) ropes and fasteners will make a fairly good
shelter.

Cable ties (like electricians use) will make the job really quick. Again as with the tarps get the best cable ties
available. The cheap ones will come undone over time (and so will your house).

Follow this link for one construction option. Bolt cutters are needed to cut these panels. This link
shows metal fence posts to secure the edges, but big rocks or logs will also work.

http://www.mtn-nichefarm.com/hogpanelshelter.htm

fox

fox

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 04:32:16 PM »
The stock panels are about $20. Price will depend on wire thickness (gauge) and quality. Some places
sell imported stock panels which are cheaper but they are usually too light and will start rusting more
quickly.

Cable ties are used to tie electric wires into bundles, they are not electric cable. They are strips of strong
plastic which can be looped in a circle back through an aperture. The plastic has grooves which allow the
strip to be pushed in but NOT be pulled out. They come in all sizes and colors - once you start using them
it almost becomes an addiction, they are so easy and fast to use. See the link below for a picture. They are
grooved their whole length so they can be pulled very tight or left somewhat loose.

Stock panels and cable ties can be used to throw up a quick fence for dogs or livestock in a pinch.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?keyword=cable+ties&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 09:32:05 AM by fox »

1969quartz0

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 09:27:03 PM »
We call them by brand name ty-rap's also another thing used before these were available lacing wax string it is thin strong and sticks once snugged tight it does not slip they still sell wax string and if you have ever seen a old electrical wiring job were it was used it looks like a work of art. a few of the buildings I cover were built in the teens we still have DC outlets in the walls from when Thomas Edison and Henry Ford were friends. we just took out the last coal powered DC generator from our main power house a couple years back though it had not been used for a while. one last thing for more then twenty years I have wanted the old power house inside lights they are wood and cast iron and glass DC lights that look like they weigh a hundred pounds each.

Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 09:13:42 PM »
Some people may think that there will be tons of building material, with destroyed homes and other buildings scattered about, which will be true. But travel may be very restricted due to various reasons, and having material on hand, will be worth a fortune to yourself.
At least stock up on nails and other such items to put the material together with.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 09:03:18 AM »
Some people may think that there will be tons of building material, with destroyed homes and other buildings scattered about, which will be true. But travel may be very restricted due to various reasons, and having material on hand, will be worth a fortune to yourself.
At least stock up on nails and other such items to put the material together with.

ICON you made a very important point - the condition of the roads in the Aftertime will restrict what people can do.
True it will probably not be easy to go grab building materials from the cities etc.
I had a thought just now.  If I were out in a rural area and pieces of my neighbor's barn or
house were all over his ground, I personally would hesitate to take those. The person or someone
in his family or surviving heirs could arrive and be glad to find something at all to salvage and build with.
Just a stray thought... In other words I wouldn't take it...
Now if it is in the city it will all be up for grabs for awhile.  Who would want to be anywhere near there anyway.
- Yowbarb

Prairiesage07

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 02:21:01 PM »
So far my personal stashing stockpile is 55 gallon plastic barrels and lots of plastic sheeting. 

For temporary housing needs I have the frames for teepees built using(4) 2x4s lag bolted to a 6 inch long 4x4.  Takes up little space now.  When needed... unfold the legs, stake them in place anc cover with whatever material is handy.  This coming winter we will be testing one of these in greenhouse mode...  Will let you all know how it works out.

AG

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 02:20:16 PM »
Members: You can post here your lists of inexpensive but potentially very important and even lifesaving items for building in "The Aftertime."
(Are you a pack rat) that may be a good thing as long as you can haul your horde to your survival site
and get it secured on time. Somewhere where it will not blow away, burn up etc.

The idea is, a person who does manage to build or buy an underground shelter may have quite a few family and friends and contacts crammed into that shelter. When things calm down a bit, it will be possible to go outside and construct buildings.
They don't need to be fancy buildings at first, just a start:  Structures. What is quickly put up will depend upon the climate, etc. and immediate needs.

It would be a good idea to have some building materials tucked away,  a steel container or other structure buried in the ground. As fireproof as possible but may not have to be too expensive.

Some ideas to start out with.
A person could start collecting these things - and although some will be bulky these will probably not be so heavy. Many items will be low cost or free for the horder and the scavenger. All that will be needed is a space to put them.
Let's say a person got some land and put up a shed, he could start stashing some things there every time he went. Later these things could be safely buried for use in the Aftertime.

Cheapo universal starter list:

Duct tape
scissors
superglue
knives
twine
ropes
tarps, cloths even shower curtains
miscellaneous scrap board and wood
newspapers
scrap metal
tin cans
bottles
bags concrete
something to mix it in and instructions
cardboard boxes
scrap paper
schicken wire
a ton of work gloves various sizes for your helpers
water buckets
hatchets
saws
hammers
nails
Any ideas?

Why newspapers? To seal up spaces. I have chinked a log cabin before.
Even if there are no logs, wet newspaper could possibly help seal up spaces in anything.

-Yowbarb

This is a good list and I will try to copy it. If you can continue to add on it is good.

I will add : lot's of wood and wood stoves.
electrical generation devices : like free energy type ( I have link on this too under shelters-look over the idea on trailers for keeping them into)
medical supply: homeopathy is a good one, as stay good for a long time, and herbal remedies.
Few tents, just in case you need to move out in this or that direction.
A flying car is a good one, if you can make it.
An electrical car ( with some good power is a very good one).
Electrical tractors ( not on diesel). or if you have it on diesel , keep some diesel at a distance. Just to be there for some hard short time.
I think is more, but let's see what else other people will come up with.

A

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 12:14:53 PM »
AG had suggested electrical generation devices, wood stoves etc.
Cheapo universal starter building list:

Bags – all kinds
Barbed wire in bundles
Bottles
Boxes, cardboard
Bricks, whole or broken - haul away for free type
Buckets, metal
Buckets, plastic painting and construction type
Boxes, cardboard
Cardboard, scrap
Chicken wire
Cloths
Concrete in bags, placed inside waterproof boxes.
Concrete mixer machine whatever size you can get
Concrete hand mixing kit and supplies and instructions
Containers, used, various sizes
Duct tape
Electrical generation devices: Free energy type – AG
G.F.R.C.  materials  Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete
G.F.R.C . Sprayer and face safety equipment (for nose and mouth)
Gloves – work gloves of all sizes
Glue, cheap bulk jug
Goggles  (ICON reminded us about the goggles, thank you!)
Hammers
Hatchets
Knives
Lumber – throwaway, scrap, pick up for free, etc.
Metal scrap - secured into buckets or put in bundles
Mortar Mix
Nails – all sizes
Nail guns
Needles for stitching cloth and plastic materials together
Newspapers
Nose masks
Paper scrap
Rags
Rocks, haul away for free, etc.
Ropes
Sawdust
Saws
Scissors
Shower curtains, old
Superglue
Tarps
Thread, large (and large needles)
Tin cans
Tires – used, haul away for free, etc.
Twine
Water buckets
Water container with spigot for the builders to drink
Wire
Wire cutters
Wood, scrap from lumber yards
Wood, from your land. This includes trees, sticks, branches, leaves, pine needles, pine cones and tinder.

More ideas?

- Yowbarb
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 04:56:07 PM by Yowbarb »

fox

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 01:03:47 PM »
BTW: Why newspapers? To seal up spaces.

Newspapers can also be used as toilet paper in a pinch. ;D ;D Not very soft but it is better than nothing.

fox

noproblemo2

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 01:05:58 PM »

Newspapers can also be used as toilet paper in a pinch. ;D ;D Not very soft but it is better than nothing.

fox
And newspapers help start fires for warmth or cooking

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 01:10:27 PM »

fox
And newspapers help start fires for warmth or cooking

I used to make newspaper logs when I was living on my land in WA state. For awhile all we had was the
fire I built... even through spring time needed a fire a lot... When we got the wood burning iron stove in the trailer I had plenty of wood but newspaper logs would do in a pinch... used them in a couple houses I lived in too.
I will also post a couple of these in the instructional survival topic ... 
- Yowbarb
.........................................................................................

How to make newspaper logs for your fire   http://www.instructables.com/id/Intro_1/

noproblemo2

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 01:19:05 PM »
Another trick I do is since I always shred important papers no longer needed, is to roll the shreds into the newspaper for quick starts.

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 11:24:09 PM »
I saw a post about foraging after the shtf for food supplies at stores that survived but are no longer open.

Lets apply that to this how many of your live in areas that have old country store restaurants?

Have you ever paid attention to the antiques on the wall or hanging from the ceiling?

Oil Lamps
Cider Presses
Meat Grinders
Two Man Hand Saws
Hoes
Cast Iron Cook Wear

I don't know if this belonged in this post but just trying to get the info out.

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!