Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: SEEDS, started by Yowbarb 2010  (Read 48004 times)

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: SEEDS, started by Yowbarb 2010
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2017, 05:41:08 PM »
This is more of a caveat than anything.  Finally this year I was able to grow a modest batch of pumpkins (Baby Pam), and also bought a bunch from farmer friend (New England Pie Pumpkin).  The main reason is that pumpkin flesh and seeds are useful in repelling and defeating worms/parasites in many types of livestock, and here that would be goats.

So, after using a couple of pumpkins for goat feed, I had carefully laid out seeds in a monolayer, and when I thought they were dry, carefully put them in jar with loose-fitting lid.  Well, they apparently weren't dry enough, as when I glanced at them today, they were covered with black flecks forming, and were mostly stuck together.  Yikes!  Had to toss it all in trash and what a sad lesson in not hurrying along the drying process.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2017, 08:27:11 PM »
This is more of a caveat than anything.  Finally this year I was able to grow a modest batch of pumpkins (Baby Pam), and also bought a bunch from farmer friend (New England Pie Pumpkin).  The main reason is that pumpkin flesh and seeds are useful in repelling and defeating worms/parasites in many types of livestock, and here that would be goats.

So, after using a couple of pumpkins for goat feed, I had carefully laid out seeds in a monolayer, and when I thought they were dry, carefully put them in jar with loose-fitting lid.  Well, they apparently weren't dry enough, as when I glanced at them today, they were covered with black flecks forming, and were mostly stuck together.  Yikes!  Had to toss it all in trash and what a sad lesson in not hurrying along the drying process.

ilinda, something to watch out for...Good to know...
Thkx

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2018, 07:30:42 PM »
Somewhere here on the TH, I have mentioned the Bradford watermelon, an heirloom that has fallen out of favor with commercial production due to its thinner skin and shorter shelf life--it does not ship well.  All of that piqued my curiosity so I grew some this year.

Attached is a pic of a 48 pound Bradford watermelon, which was heavy enough that as I was moving (dragging) it from the garden, it slipped out of my grasp, bumped the ground, and a tiny split developed, thus I had to immediatley begin processing it.  By that I mean, drying a lot of it, and feeding a lot more to the goats.

It is sweet, crisp, and easy to grow--much easier than the Blacktail Mountain which had been developed to grow in temperatures as low as the upper 30's.  I'll take this Bradford any day.

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2018, 04:48:03 AM »
That's a monster Ilinda!  Thanks for sharing about it  :)

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2018, 06:09:06 PM »
Today for dinner one dish was cornbread from corn I grew right here on the farm.  The corn seed  is Tohono O'odham, a white, 60-day flour corn.  It took less than 10 minutes to grind 1 cup of corn seed in the Corona hand grinder,  and then all I had to do was make the cornbread:
1 c. corn flour
1 large egg
blob of blackstrap molasses
1 cup milk or yogurt
1 scant tsp. baking soda
Bake 350-375 deg. F for about 35 min.

Probably I won't grow this variety again, mainly because of a preference for corn with colors, but it does grind so easily, as flour corns should do.

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #125 on: December 10, 2018, 06:37:53 PM »
What a beautiful skillet loaf!  I like the yogurt option, too.  :)

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY NOW

In a post-global disaster world, predators and tyrants will have the best two-way radios, and they'll use them to surveil you at a comfortable distance.

What will you have? Signal flares and red bandannas?

If so, when you least expect it, the predators and tyrants will come to take a spoil and they will torture, rape, and kill without mercy.

This is why Radio Free Earth authors Marshall Masters and Duane W. Brayton have an urgent message for everyone with a serious interest in preparedness. That being, analog RF (radio frequency) is the heartbeat of freedom. Accept no substitutes.

Watch our free videos to learn how to stay safe and free with an affordable strategy for two way communication, both near and far.

Welcome to Radio
Free Earth

Why Radio
Free Earth

Post-Disaster
Communications

Citizens Band Radios
for Survival

BUY NOW