Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: SEEDS, started by Yowbarb 2010  (Read 40258 times)

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: SEEDS, started by Yowbarb 2010
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2017, 05:41:08 PM »
This is more of a caveat than anything.  Finally this year I was able to grow a modest batch of pumpkins (Baby Pam), and also bought a bunch from farmer friend (New England Pie Pumpkin).  The main reason is that pumpkin flesh and seeds are useful in repelling and defeating worms/parasites in many types of livestock, and here that would be goats.

So, after using a couple of pumpkins for goat feed, I had carefully laid out seeds in a monolayer, and when I thought they were dry, carefully put them in jar with loose-fitting lid.  Well, they apparently weren't dry enough, as when I glanced at them today, they were covered with black flecks forming, and were mostly stuck together.  Yikes!  Had to toss it all in trash and what a sad lesson in not hurrying along the drying process.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2017, 08:27:11 PM »
This is more of a caveat than anything.  Finally this year I was able to grow a modest batch of pumpkins (Baby Pam), and also bought a bunch from farmer friend (New England Pie Pumpkin).  The main reason is that pumpkin flesh and seeds are useful in repelling and defeating worms/parasites in many types of livestock, and here that would be goats.

So, after using a couple of pumpkins for goat feed, I had carefully laid out seeds in a monolayer, and when I thought they were dry, carefully put them in jar with loose-fitting lid.  Well, they apparently weren't dry enough, as when I glanced at them today, they were covered with black flecks forming, and were mostly stuck together.  Yikes!  Had to toss it all in trash and what a sad lesson in not hurrying along the drying process.

ilinda, something to watch out for...Good to know...
Thkx

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2018, 07:30:42 PM »
Somewhere here on the TH, I have mentioned the Bradford watermelon, an heirloom that has fallen out of favor with commercial production due to its thinner skin and shorter shelf life--it does not ship well.  All of that piqued my curiosity so I grew some this year.

Attached is a pic of a 48 pound Bradford watermelon, which was heavy enough that as I was moving (dragging) it from the garden, it slipped out of my grasp, bumped the ground, and a tiny split developed, thus I had to immediatley begin processing it.  By that I mean, drying a lot of it, and feeding a lot more to the goats.

It is sweet, crisp, and easy to grow--much easier than the Blacktail Mountain which had been developed to grow in temperatures as low as the upper 30's.  I'll take this Bradford any day.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2018, 04:48:03 AM »
That's a monster Ilinda!  Thanks for sharing about it  :)

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2018, 06:09:06 PM »
Today for dinner one dish was cornbread from corn I grew right here on the farm.  The corn seed  is Tohono O'odham, a white, 60-day flour corn.  It took less than 10 minutes to grind 1 cup of corn seed in the Corona hand grinder,  and then all I had to do was make the cornbread:
1 c. corn flour
1 large egg
blob of blackstrap molasses
1 cup milk or yogurt
1 scant tsp. baking soda
Bake 350-375 deg. F for about 35 min.

Probably I won't grow this variety again, mainly because of a preference for corn with colors, but it does grind so easily, as flour corns should do.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #125 on: December 10, 2018, 06:37:53 PM »
What a beautiful skillet loaf!  I like the yogurt option, too.  :)

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY SMART AND DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME

This book needs to be on your survival checklist because it offers a simple path for visioning, leading, and supervising the creation of an effective survival communications strategy.

Learn more...