Win-Win Survival Communities The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Radio Free Earth

Author Topic: Spacefaring Human Race, NASA, SpaceX, ESA, etc.  (Read 22984 times)

Yowbarb

Spacefaring Human Race, NASA, SpaceX, ESA, etc.
« on: December 09, 2011, 03:28:36 AM »
The US and Russia are partners in space exploration. The plan is for a Russian station to overlap and replace the ISS.
Perhaps this is where the remaining ISS crew will go. Remaining crew: American Dan Burbank, Russians Anatoly Ivanishin and Anton Shkaplerov.
[Note: If they left already I have no data on it.]
My opinion is the three remaining crew members on the ISS ) will be up there until the Russian OPSEK station is functional. Then -
I assume they will go aboard the Russian station.

"Multipurpose Laboratory Module...to be launched to the ISS in 2012 ...
[used as] the basis for a new space station.
" - wikipedia
A portion of the wikipedia article on OPSEK is below, then an image of the ISS Expedition 29 Crew members with their names, who left in November and who is apparently still at the ISS.
- Yowbarb

OPSEK
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_Piloted_Assembly_and_Experiment_Complex

The Orbital Piloted Assembly and Experiment Complex (Orbitalniy Pilotiruemyi Eksperimentalniy Kompleks[1]) (OPSEK) is the planned Russian successor to the International Space Station, with the main goal of supporting deep space exploration.
Overview

Before the predicted decommissioning of the International Space Station in the late 2010's to 2020's, the Russian Federal Space Agency (Roskosmos) plans to detach some of its modules, such as the Multipurpose Laboratory Module (to be launched to the ISS in 2012), and use them as the basis for a new space station.[3] The main purpose of OPSEK would be to support eventual manned Mars missions. All the main components of such a Mars expedition would first dock at the station, before leaving for Mars. As a secondary role, the station would also support lunar expeditions.

On 17 June 2009, Roskosmos officially informed its ISS partner, the United States, about its intention to "build and prepare for operation the first elements of the orbital assembly and experimental piloted space complex by the end of the ISS life cycle."

According to the Russian manned spaceflight contractor RKK Energia, the new station must be able to perform the following tasks:  Large spacecraft assembly,  Flight tests and launches,     Creating, servicing and completing inter-orbital tugs; Providing medical and biological conditions required for the rehabilitation of inter-planetary expedition crews after their return to Earth orbit.
[end of wikipedia article excerpt]
==============================================================
NASA
Expedition 29 Says Farewell and Undocks

"Expedition 29 Commander Mike Fossum and Flight Engineers Satoshi Furukawa and Sergei Volkov say farewell to their crewmates and undock in the Soyuz TMA-02M spacecraft for the return home Nov. 21, 2011."

{YB Note: Highlighted in blue crew members who left the ISS in November 2011.}
To my knowledge these are the Remaining crew members:
American Dan Burbank,
Russians Anatoly Ivanishin and Anton Shkaplerov.
NASA Image: Expedition 29 crew members pictured from the left on the front row are Commander Mike Fossum and Flight Engineer Dan Burbank. Pictured from the left on the back row are Flight Engineers Satoshi Furukawa, Sergei Volkov, Anatoly Ivanishin and Anton Shkaplerov.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 03:34:48 AM by Yowbarb »

_cj_

Re: ISS Sucessor: OPSEK built by US space partner, Russia
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 05:43:16 AM »
hi barb - i may have mis-read what you wrote but ISS isnt due to be decommissioned until 2016-2020

in 2009 russia announced that it would continue with its own low orbit station as a transfer point for manned missions to the moon and mars

some of the modules due to be attahced in the next few years to ISS but Russia will be detached befire the ISS is decomissioned and will form the core of the OPSEK station.

there sill be many crew rotations beofre the ISS is decomissioned - i think that it likely it will outlast the 2020 deadline

Regards,

alex

Yowbarb

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 06:58:38 AM »
hi barb - i may have mis-read what you wrote but ISS isnt due to be decommissioned until 2016-2020

in 2009 russia announced that it would continue with its own low orbit station as a transfer point for manned missions to the moon and mars

some of the modules due to be attahced in the next few years to ISS but Russia will be detached befire the ISS is decomissioned and will form the core of the OPSEK station.

there sill be many crew rotations beofre the ISS is decomissioned - i think that it likely it will outlast the 2020 deadline

Regards,

alex

Alex, I am not going to say you are wrong... this OPSEK and the team effort of Americans and Russians in space is a new subject to me and still learning.

The wikipedia article says: ....Before the predicted decommissioning of the International Space Station in the late 2010's to 2020's.

Also I read a NASA article that posted the photo of the crew Expedition 29. Half of the (6) crew members were shuttled off there in November leaving only three, one American and two Russians.
The reason this came up is discussion on TH about how it was possible some crew members stranded up there... I don't know but I read somewhere it looked like 2012 the ISS will be de - manned.
That's when I stumbled on the info about the Russian OPSEK Mission. The Russians sending a lab up there to the ISS in 2012. The basis of a new space station and the base for sending people farther out into space.
Was saying (it appears) that any remaining crew not stranded, rather, it is possible they will be going to the OPSEK and/or working on it even if the ISS is totally de - manned .
Well I don;t remember now the exact reference on the ISS being over in 2012. Will look for it.
I may have posted it, covered it already in an earlier post.
Discussion on it (the remaining ISS crew members) in one of the Russian Phobos-Grunt Topics in PX astronomy.
At any rate there has got to be way more to this story than what is being released.
All The best,  :)
Yowbarb

_cj_

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 10:22:17 PM »
ISS crew 30 lis due to be launched on dec 29th i think - crew memebres are NASA astronaut Don Pettit, Russian cosmonaut Oleg Kononenko and European Space Agency astronaut Andre Kuipers

Regards,
alex

Yowbarb

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 01:15:06 AM »
ISS crew 30 lis due to be launched on dec 29th i think - crew memebres are NASA astronaut Don Pettit, Russian cosmonaut Oleg Kononenko and European Space Agency astronaut Andre Kuipers

Regards,
alex

Thanks, it's good to get an update and the correct info...
I just viewed the video on this page, regarding ISS Crew 30. It's true, no one is going anywhere for awhile yet.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery
/index.html?collection_id=23381

_cj_

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 08:16:04 AM »
hi Barb,

damn i just wrote you a huge reply and managed to delete it so ill summarise it quickly

NASA's listed crew rotation out of Baikonur is mission 39 due in 2013-14 i think

Yes the ISS is due to be decommissioned 2016-2020 but because of Russia’s  stated intention to maintain a permanent space station in the form of OPSEK i cant see the US not being there.  Either with a combined effort or stand alone platform.  My view is that ISS will carry on past 2020

Now NASA's orion crew module is almost up and ready ( maybe 2013 ) which launched on the delta IV heavy would be a good lift platform for the ISS.  However i posed in a different thread that it would be too small for a mars expedition ...maybe lunar when combined with a service module

More exiting is NASA flying the falcon IX heavy next year.  This would be the launch vehicle for the Dragon crew module.  This crew module could be a 7 man transit to the ISS or as a lunar exploration mission or could form the core of a mars exploration mission.   The Falcon IX  has  already flown and the IX Heavy due next year so fingers crossed for a new space race

and of couse keep an eye out for the Space Launch System - that really will be the future but dont hold your hoped out until 2020 - the second stage J2X engine is still in testing

Regards,
alex
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:56:55 PM by _cj_ »

_cj_

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 01:24:19 PM »
hi barb

just a quick update,NASA has just agreed for the ESA to build the Service module for Orion
that puts it in a lunar landing territory for for the falcon heavy or a mars mission for the SLS launch platform

Regards,

alex

Yowbarb

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 11:39:29 AM »
I found out about this news from Chandra, a Town Hall Member.
Yowbarb Note: See more photos and the rest of the article at this page:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2263983/Rivers-red-planet-Astonishing-new-pictures-reveal-1500km-river-ran-Mars.html

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/rivers-on-the-red-planet 

Rivers on the Red PlanetJanuary 19, 2013

The European Space Agency's Mars Express spacecraft has captured astonishing new images of a 4-mile wide, 900-mile long river that that once flowed across the Red Planet. This impressive structure located in the Reull Vallis region of Mars is almost 1,000 feet deep and flanked by numerous tributaries. According to experts, the river-like channel shows a remarkable resemblance to areas on Earth affected by glacial flow. More at Mail Online.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2263983/Rivers-red-planet-Astonishing-new-pictures-reveal-1500km-river-ran-Mars.html

Rivers on the red planet: Astonishing new pictures reveal a 4mile wide, 900mile long river that once ran across the Martian surface
Huge 'river-like structure' caputured by Mars Express spacecraft and is almost 1,000 feet (300m) deep
Experts say the images show a 'striking resemblance' to areas of Earth affected by glaciation
PUBLISHED:10:43 EST, 17 January 2013| UPDATED: 11:00 EST, 17 January 2013

They are yet more proof of the red planet's wet past.

The European Space Agency today released an astonishing series of pictures showing the remnants of a huge river than once ran across Mars.

Taken by the ESA’s Mars Express, they show Reull Vallis, the 'river-like structure' is believed to have formed when running water flowed in the distant martian past.

Yowbarb Note: See more photos and the rest of the article at this page:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2263983/Rivers-red-planet-Astonishing-new-pictures-reveal-1500km-river-ran-Mars.html#ixzz2Idkco98v

enlightenme

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
Re: European Space Agency's discoveries/news 2013
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 02:52:09 PM »
Interesting info!  Thanks Barb and Chandra.

Yowbarb

Re: European Space Agency's discoveries/news 2013
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 05:22:39 AM »
Here is our newer Topic for European Space Agency News:

https://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=5684.msg85198#msg85198

Yowbarb

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 12:18:22 AM »
Yowbarb Note: I happened to be watching some late night TV (about 2 AM EST) and saw video of the Spacex company employees viewing their triumphant launch and historic vertical landing.
Space X - a private company - and their Falcon 9 historic launch and landing see video posted just below:
video: Historic Landing of Falcon 9 First Stage at Landing Zone 1

https://youtu.be/1B6oiLNyKKI

Published on Dec 21, 2015
The very first Falcon 9 first stage has successfully landed at Landing Zone 1, formally Launch Complex 13, of Cape Canaveral after launching as part of the OG-2 return to flight mission from Space Launch Complex 40 just 10 minutes before landing.
VIDEO CREDITS: SpaceX
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/12/spacex-orbital-rocket-lands-florida-elon-musk/421584/

Musk's Triumph: A Falcon 9 Rocket Lands Upright in Florida

At long last, SpaceX has vertically launched and landed an orbital rocket.

Yowbarb

Re: Spacefaring Human Race, NASA, SpaceX, ESA, etc.
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 12:27:29 AM »
Excerpt: Musk's Triumph: A Falcon 9 Rocket Lands Upright in Florida

At long last, SpaceX has vertically launched and landed an orbital rocket

Robinson Meyer Dec 21, 2015 Technology

On Monday evening, for the first time in aerospace history, a rocket took off vertically from its launchpad, pierced the boundary of space and deposited its second stage into orbit, and returned intact to Earth, landing upright not far from where its journey began.

The private American company SpaceX—and its self-avowedly supervillain-esque CEO, Elon Musk— have at last seized the quarry that their company has pursued for years: VTOL, or the Vertical Take Off and Landing of an orbital rocket.

The task was completed by a Falcon 9 rocket, which launched from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida at 8:29 p.m. Eastern time. Even if the take-off had not gone successfully, the launch signified a return to flight for SpaceX: The company had not successfully launched a rocket since a different Falcon 9 exploded immediately after take-off in June.

Yowbarb

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 11:59:06 AM »
It looks like you can watch whole episodes from this site:

video: https://youtu.be/PWkdQ_nMWTY

http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/nasa-astronaut-scott-kelly-looks-back-on-his-year-in-space-630704707866?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=referral

NASA Astronaut Scott Kelly Looks Back on His Year in Space

Wed, Feb 24

From space, Scott Kelly talks to Lester Holt about what he's looking most forward to back here on Earth after nearly a year on the International Space Station.

Yowbarb

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 04:44:00 AM »
Yowbarb Note: NASA's asteroid deflection program enters next phase, June 30th article...

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-s-first-asteroid-deflection-mission-enters-next-design-phase

June 30, 2017
NASA’S First Asteroid Deflection Mission Enters Next Design Phase
The first-ever mission to demonstrate an asteroid deflection technique for planetary defense -- the Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) -- is moving from concept development to preliminary design phase, following NASA’s approval on June 23.

[Continues  https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-s-first-asteroid-deflection-mission-enters-next-design-phase ]

MadMax

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 01:48:02 PM »
This could be VERY interesting !! 

What has Nasa found on Mars? Space agency to make a major announcement on Thursday about life on the red planet  ;D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5807177/Nasa-confirms-make-major-announcement-Mars-week.html

Nasa will reveal ‘new results from Mars Curiosity rover’ at the press conference
The announcement could provide new evidence of life on the red planet
Curiosity has started drilling into the Martian surface after an 18-month hiatus

Nasa will hold a press conference to reveal its latest findings from Mars this week.

Few details have leaked about the mysterious new announcement, which will be streamed online from 7pm BST (2pm EDT) on Thursday 7 June.

Nasa is staying tight-lipped about what it has discovered on the red planet, but it has confirmed the announcement will feature ‘new science results from Nasa's Mars Curiosity rover’.

Curiosity was sent to Mars in August 2012 to to study its climate and geology as well as investigate whether the planet could sustain life or has liquid water.

It is possible the new 'science results' from the rover could relate to Martian life.

Max.

Home Study System

Home Study System
Save 30%

BUY NOW

The ideal win-win survival community library reference system offers a broad range of valuable survival skills and knowledge. Ideal those in preparedness, it provides in-depth knowledge about how to form communities and operate two-way communications.

For human needs, it also includes a low-impact energy self-healing art and an essential role for seniors in survival communities.

A special note for those of you living outside the United States, we optimized this system for the lowest possible Priority Mail costs.

4 Paperbacks and 6 DVDs

Win-Win Survival Communities Signed

Radio Free Earth Color (Color Editon) Signed

Complete Danjeon Breathing System w/6 DVDs

Survival Wellness Advocacy and the BIG WIN

BUY NOW