ilinda, Jimfarmer - THE PLANET X SYSTEM > PLANET X ASTRONOMY

Spacefaring Human Race, NASA, SpaceX, ESA, etc.

(1/6) > >>

Yowbarb:
The US and Russia are partners in space exploration. The plan is for a Russian station to overlap and replace the ISS.
Perhaps this is where the remaining ISS crew will go. Remaining crew: American Dan Burbank, Russians Anatoly Ivanishin and Anton Shkaplerov.
[Note: If they left already I have no data on it.]
My opinion is the three remaining crew members on the ISS ) will be up there until the Russian OPSEK station is functional. Then -
I assume they will go aboard the Russian station.
"Multipurpose Laboratory Module...to be launched to the ISS in 2012 ...
[used as] the basis for a new space station." - wikipedia
A portion of the wikipedia article on OPSEK is below, then an image of the ISS Expedition 29 Crew members with their names, who left in November and who is apparently still at the ISS.
- Yowbarb
OPSEK
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_Piloted_Assembly_and_Experiment_Complex

The Orbital Piloted Assembly and Experiment Complex (Orbitalniy Pilotiruemyi Eksperimentalniy Kompleks[1]) (OPSEK) is the planned Russian successor to the International Space Station, with the main goal of supporting deep space exploration.
Overview

Before the predicted decommissioning of the International Space Station in the late 2010's to 2020's, the Russian Federal Space Agency (Roskosmos) plans to detach some of its modules, such as the Multipurpose Laboratory Module (to be launched to the ISS in 2012), and use them as the basis for a new space station.[3] The main purpose of OPSEK would be to support eventual manned Mars missions. All the main components of such a Mars expedition would first dock at the station, before leaving for Mars. As a secondary role, the station would also support lunar expeditions.

On 17 June 2009, Roskosmos officially informed its ISS partner, the United States, about its intention to "build and prepare for operation the first elements of the orbital assembly and experimental piloted space complex by the end of the ISS life cycle."

According to the Russian manned spaceflight contractor RKK Energia, the new station must be able to perform the following tasks:  Large spacecraft assembly,  Flight tests and launches,     Creating, servicing and completing inter-orbital tugs; Providing medical and biological conditions required for the rehabilitation of inter-planetary expedition crews after their return to Earth orbit.
[end of wikipedia article excerpt]
==============================================================
NASA
Expedition 29 Says Farewell and Undocks

"Expedition 29 Commander Mike Fossum and Flight Engineers Satoshi Furukawa and Sergei Volkov say farewell to their crewmates and undock in the Soyuz TMA-02M spacecraft for the return home Nov. 21, 2011."

{YB Note: Highlighted in blue crew members who left the ISS in November 2011.}
To my knowledge these are the Remaining crew members:
American Dan Burbank,
Russians Anatoly Ivanishin and Anton Shkaplerov.
NASA Image: Expedition 29 crew members pictured from the left on the front row are Commander Mike Fossum and Flight Engineer Dan Burbank. Pictured from the left on the back row are Flight Engineers Satoshi Furukawa, Sergei Volkov, Anatoly Ivanishin and Anton Shkaplerov.

_cj_:
hi barb - i may have mis-read what you wrote but ISS isnt due to be decommissioned until 2016-2020

in 2009 russia announced that it would continue with its own low orbit station as a transfer point for manned missions to the moon and mars

some of the modules due to be attahced in the next few years to ISS but Russia will be detached befire the ISS is decomissioned and will form the core of the OPSEK station.

there sill be many crew rotations beofre the ISS is decomissioned - i think that it likely it will outlast the 2020 deadline

Regards,

alex

Yowbarb:

--- Quote from: _cj_ on December 09, 2011, 05:43:16 AM ---hi barb - i may have mis-read what you wrote but ISS isnt due to be decommissioned until 2016-2020

in 2009 russia announced that it would continue with its own low orbit station as a transfer point for manned missions to the moon and mars

some of the modules due to be attahced in the next few years to ISS but Russia will be detached befire the ISS is decomissioned and will form the core of the OPSEK station.

there sill be many crew rotations beofre the ISS is decomissioned - i think that it likely it will outlast the 2020 deadline

Regards,

alex

--- End quote ---

Alex, I am not going to say you are wrong... this OPSEK and the team effort of Americans and Russians in space is a new subject to me and still learning.

The wikipedia article says: ....Before the predicted decommissioning of the International Space Station in the late 2010's to 2020's.

Also I read a NASA article that posted the photo of the crew Expedition 29. Half of the (6) crew members were shuttled off there in November leaving only three, one American and two Russians.
The reason this came up is discussion on TH about how it was possible some crew members stranded up there... I don't know but I read somewhere it looked like 2012 the ISS will be de - manned.
That's when I stumbled on the info about the Russian OPSEK Mission. The Russians sending a lab up there to the ISS in 2012. The basis of a new space station and the base for sending people farther out into space.
Was saying (it appears) that any remaining crew not stranded, rather, it is possible they will be going to the OPSEK and/or working on it even if the ISS is totally de - manned .
Well I don;t remember now the exact reference on the ISS being over in 2012. Will look for it.
I may have posted it, covered it already in an earlier post.
Discussion on it (the remaining ISS crew members) in one of the Russian Phobos-Grunt Topics in PX astronomy.
At any rate there has got to be way more to this story than what is being released.
All The best,  :)
Yowbarb

_cj_:
ISS crew 30 lis due to be launched on dec 29th i think - crew memebres are NASA astronaut Don Pettit, Russian cosmonaut Oleg Kononenko and European Space Agency astronaut Andre Kuipers

Regards,
alex

Yowbarb:

--- Quote from: _cj_ on December 09, 2011, 10:22:17 PM ---ISS crew 30 lis due to be launched on dec 29th i think - crew memebres are NASA astronaut Don Pettit, Russian cosmonaut Oleg Kononenko and European Space Agency astronaut Andre Kuipers

Regards,
alex

--- End quote ---

Thanks, it's good to get an update and the correct info...
I just viewed the video on this page, regarding ISS Crew 30. It's true, no one is going anywhere for awhile yet.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery
/index.html?collection_id=23381

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version