Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: Losing weight: A place to share successful actions, tips and ideas  (Read 68726 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Losing weight: intermittent fasting
« Reply #300 on: November 22, 2018, 09:27:26 PM »
I am a "grazer" food addict, so I allow little meals throughout the day.
There have been numerous posts in other threads on intermittent fasting (which allows one to consume any amount of calories but only within a certain time restraint).
According to so many 'youtube experts' today, this is a time-tested real and easy way to assist and stimulate the body to digest (excess) fats and therefore lose weight.

Have you tried this?

I'll be honest; though i've known about this option for a while, there are social conflicts even with not eating certain hours of the day. Still, if this allows one to lose weight while all other options fail, it's worth looking into.

Socrates, that sounds worthwhile, intermittent fasting. Because of lifestyle changes and the need to keep up strength and energy, not fasting... but may try that at some point,
so thank you,
Barb T.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Losing weight: The importance of potassium
« Reply #301 on: January 04, 2019, 07:03:11 AM »
Here's a film on the physiology of sugar (including fruit sugars) metabolism, and why potassium is essential to proper usage of it without creating fat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7fHYSyvxU0

Two key points that he makes are that adequate potassium is essential for conversion of sugars for storage in the liver, and he unintentionally admits that it is nearly impossible to get enough potassium from the diet.  We need around 5 grams per day, or 5,000 mg.  We are told to eat 7 cups of vegetables daily to achieve this, but that is a very large quantity of low-protein food for some people, especially those those who fast or eat only during limited hours of the day.

Here's how much (little) potassium is in foods:

Coconut sugar is very high in potassium, and superior in K content even to a supplement:

Bottom line, in order to prevent or manage Type 2 diabetes and accompanying weight gain, supplementing with a potassium pill may be necessary to achieve optimal K levels.  For preppers planning to live on a shelf-food diet, this might be an important supplement to stock, as well as dehydrated fruits and vegetables, beans and evaporated milk.  Exception: Those who have kidney disease may need to follow a diet low in potassium.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:48:41 AM by R.R. Book »

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Losing weight: A place to share successful actions, tips and ideas
« Reply #302 on: January 04, 2019, 11:59:33 AM »
Here's a film on the physiology of sugar (including fruit sugars) metabolism, and why potassium is essential to proper usage of it without creating fat:

Buy "No Salt" potassium chloride in a shaker.  Sprinkle over food like salt.  Tastes almost same as NaCl.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #303 on: January 04, 2019, 02:59:44 PM »
For the past three or four months, hubby has been keeping count of his potassium intake, and yes, it's not that easy unless you gain awareness of the potassium-laden foods, and start counting.

One thing not on the list if avocados.  We try to eat one a day as that bumps up the count a lot.  Depending on which list you use, an avocado may have nearly 1,000 mg of potassium.

It is good to see the list as it's a good reminder that most of us don't come close to getting our share.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #304 on: January 04, 2019, 04:26:49 PM »
Excellent comments Ilinda and Jim!  :)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #305 on: June 07, 2019, 09:16:45 AM »
After years of dieting off and on, it seems I may finally have found something that works, both physically and psychologically:

The Sandwich Diet.

Dieticians and lay persons who propose this weight management method reason thus:

The war against bread of the past decade has been unjustified.  Bread is composed of good carbs, if carefully selected.  And I don't mean the nasty Keto bread that has to be mail ordered.  European dieticians are promoting lovely French baguettes on this plan, for example.  At 4 calories per gram of carbs, high-quality breads are a caloric bargain not to be eliminated, they say. 

The suggested bread types have some whole grains if tolerated by the GI tract of the dieter, and of course are made with unbromated flour.

The bread can be covered with either a light cheese or very thinly sliced cheese for the calcium content and broiled until it melts.  Am personally very fond of Muenster  :)

I also like to use a tablespoon of olive-oil mayo to make it go down more easily, as I have traditionally not been a big bread eater.  This contains about 5 grams of fat, so about 45 calories.  No skimping on full flavor on this diet!

Then we are permitted to have 3 ounces of any lean meat, meaning mostly chicken or turkey, though the meat could just as easily be eliminated for a vegetarian sandwich.  This is topped off with all the veggies that we want, such as shredded greens, sliced tomatoes, pickles, avocadoes, etc. for more fiber, which lowers the blood-sugar impact of the bread carbs.

This can be washed down with all the unsweetened iced tea, coffee, water or skim milk that we might want.

Yogurt is suggested for a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack, but other choices exist.

The obvious trade-offs are that we omit sweets, fried foods, etc.

I can attest to a feeling of fullness and well-being with this diet plan that I've never achieved with any other method.   :)

https://beauty.onehowto.com/article/how-to-do-the-sandwich-diet-2671.html

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 12:15:43 PM by R.R. Book »

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #306 on: June 08, 2019, 08:25:49 PM »
WOW, and congratulations!!!!!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #307 on: June 08, 2019, 10:56:02 PM »
R.R. - yes, congratulations and this is great!
Funny I have added sandwiches back to my life... Usually thinly sliced chicken or turkey
lunch meat - but I know I should use a better quality such as cooking it myself...
which i sometimes do...
One of my favorite things in the world is home cooked chicken and turkey, sandwiches.
I have also found mayo to work for me, doesn't seem to be fattening. i sometimes use olive oil mayo... I also use butter, mustard...

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #308 on: June 09, 2019, 03:52:45 AM »
Isn't mustard a digestive bitter as well?

Anyway, it all sounds good!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 04:02:48 AM by R.R. Book »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #309 on: June 09, 2019, 07:49:56 PM »
Isn't mustard a digestive bitter as well?

Anyway, it all sounds good!

Yes mustard is, although not seeing it listed. :) (?)
I remember as a teen using liberal amounts of mustard and catsup and other things... especially with bread. Finally figured out my digestive acids were not so strong so i craved those things.  Have often craved a bit of acidic foods along with my meal... Also have always loved deviled eggs with mustard and paprika and I put a half of a pimento-stuffed green olive on the top.

Article:

Digestive bitters are herbs that support digestive function by stimulating bitter receptors on the tongue, stomach, gallbladder and pancreas. Their primary effect is to promote digestive juices such as stomach acid, bile and enzymes to breakdown food and assist in the absorption of nutrients.Feb 23, 2017
10 Benefits of Digestive Bitters - Lifestyle Markets
https://lifestylemarkets.com/blog/10-benefits-of-digestive-bitters/

Oct. 5. 2016
10 Bitter Foods To Try Today to Improve Digestion
Learn simple ways to incorporate bitters to help improve digestion.

https://nutritionstripped.com/bitter-foods-improve-digestion/
Is bitter the forgotten taste? We all know in the standard American diet we’re bombarded with sweet and salty, but what about sour and bitter – where did these go? Why are our bodies able to detect these tastes in food, yet we’re not consuming foods that actually contain these tastes?

Digestion has always fascinated me, from the time I was studying nutrition in undergrad through grad school to when I started to really figure out what was going on with my own digestive system. It’s a fascinating world – gut research is ever changing with ongoing studies and new practices, yet we can also revisit ancient remedies and functional foods that may help improve our digestion.

Enter in: bitters. I’ve become really intrigued by bitters as of late. My love is in the cocktail industry, and he’s opened my eyes to that world from the flavor, texture, aroma, balance, and also…bitters! Of course, the flavor is beautifully balanced when made well in a cocktail, but there are many health and digestive benefits to bitters (with or without alcohol) and digestifs that we can all take note on.

There are, of course, the bitters that are commonly found in tinctures, but there are also whole foods that are naturally bitter or act as a pungent/bitter/aromatic compound to help stimulate or relax digestion such as citrus, cinnamon, ginger, coffee, dandelion or other bitter greens.

Think of bitters as “toning” our digestive system. They engage our digestion to do more work and to do the work it should be doing. Beyond digestion, bitters have actually been shown to help stabilize blood sugars and reduce hunger. First things first, let’s dive into some of my favorite bitters you can try today, ways to use them, and where to get em’:

1. Coffee
Coffee contains theobromine, theophylline, and caffeine that increase bile flow for better digestion. Note that coffee should be consumed in moderation, and for more on how much you should be drinking read this post.

2. Dark Chocolate
Just be sure that it’s high-quality dark chocolate. I recommend 80% cacao dark chocolate or cacao nibs to help keep your digestive juices flowing.

3. Dill
Dill contains oils called carvone that can help keep digestion moving and relieve gas build up. Try it in my Crunchy Cucumber Tomato Salad or Fingerling Potato and Dill Toss.

4. Ginger
Ginger has been known to ease digestion for quite some time. Try it in a smoothie like the Creamy Ginger Green Smoothie or a tea like the Zinger Tea.

5. Kale
Is there anything kale can’t do? It’s packed with vitamins but also a soluble fiber that supports digestion. Try it in the Massaged Kale Salad.

6. Arugula
Start your meal with an arugula salad like the Simple Greens Salad in the #NScookbook to kickstart your digestive system

7. Radicchio
Like arugula, add it to a salad before a meal to support digestion.

8. Dandelion
Try it in an herbal dandelion tea like this one. You can also add dandelion greens to a salad before a meal.

9. Peppermint
Try it in peppermint tea or add a few drops of peppermint oil to a beverage to help digestion. Some people even chew on peppermint leaves to aid in digestion, but you can still get its benefits from teas or oils.

10. Citrus
Think of more bitter tasting citruses like lemons or grapefruit to boost digestion. Try it in the Citrus-4 Juice or add some lemon juice to warm water in the morning to kickstart your digestion.
end of article

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #310 on: June 09, 2019, 07:55:14 PM »
That same night they are to eat the meat roasted over the fire, along with bitter herbs, and bread made without yeast…Eat it in haste, it is the LORD’s Passover.
Exodus 12:8, 11 NIV

https://www.gardenindelight.com/bitter-herbs-blitz/

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #311 on: June 10, 2019, 06:32:52 AM »
Wonderful list - I never realized coffee and dark chocolate were digestive bitters, but that does make sense when you think about it.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: intermittent fasting; an update
« Reply #312 on: June 11, 2019, 08:36:23 AM »
I have experimented with and been doing research on intermittent fasting. I learned that i've been making some basic mistakes that were undermining my efforts. Here's what i've been learning...

- things like bulletproof coffee and lemon juice will end your fast; stick to black coffee, green tea and apple cider vinegar [and obviously water] when you drink outside of eating hours
- the bulletproof diet is about 60% fats [avocado, macadamia nuts, butter, etc.], 20% proteins and 20% carbs
- knowing how to break a fast properly is essential!
   - start with MCT oil [like with Bulletproof coffee]
   - have fructose [fresh fruit] + starch [let's say, a few berries and a rice waffle]
   - lean protein; avoid more fats at this point
- a 'fruit day' once in a while supports detox and recarbing; since your body's (also) running on ketos, you will not be hungry. Fructose works very differently than starches, i.e. just stick to fruits.
- exercise before breaking your fast [cardio or weight training]
- dry fasting burns 3 x more fat than water fasting
- fiber feeds good gut flora; you should be eating loads of greens, also for this reason
- dry fasting and fasted excercise accelerate fat burning and autophagy [burning up toxins and bad cells]

So these are mistakes folks make, including myself before i learned the above:
- no carbs (i.e. following 'keto' ideas); some cells and processes require carbs; you'll be back burning ketos after a few hours of reasonable carb intake (like having some berries)
- ingesting hidden carb sources (like lemon juice in water)
- too much protein; your gotos are butter, MCT oil [or Brain Octain Oil, even better], avocado, etc.
- it should go without saying that contaminated sources of macro nutrients and veggies undermine all biological processes

There's a lot of science nowadays to back all of this up. My main sources of late have been biohacking guru Dave Asprey and youtuber Thomas DeLauer.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #313 on: June 18, 2019, 04:26:30 AM »
Socrates, interesting post.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #314 on: June 18, 2019, 01:25:48 PM »
Am also into intermittent fasting here, but probably not as highly technical or well educated on it as Soc, but it feels right.

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY NOW

In a post-global disaster world, predators and tyrants will have the best two-way radios, and they'll use them to surveil you at a comfortable distance.

What will you have? Signal flares and red bandannas?

If so, when you least expect it, the predators and tyrants will come to take a spoil and they will torture, rape, and kill without mercy.

This is why Radio Free Earth authors Marshall Masters and Duane W. Brayton have an urgent message for everyone with a serious interest in preparedness. That being, analog RF (radio frequency) is the heartbeat of freedom. Accept no substitutes.

Watch our free videos to learn how to stay safe and free with an affordable strategy for two way communication, both near and far.

Welcome to Radio
Free Earth

Why Radio
Free Earth

Post-Disaster
Communications

Citizens Band Radios
for Survival

BUY NOW