Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: California Planning - Escape route  (Read 2028 times)

The Stacker

• Members
  • Trusted Member
California Planning - Escape route
« on: March 26, 2012, 04:12:11 PM »
At this point I’ve made the following decisions:
•   I can retain a certain amount of normalcy for my family and avoid the innumerable false warnings by staying put but having a plan.
•   The most likely event I will have to plan for is an earthquake and/or flood (this assumes an earthquake, tsunami, pole shift, etc)
•   I have food, water, clothes, fire/heat, navigation, protection, etc for 14 days that are accessible and loadable into my van within 30 minutes.
•   I will explain a portion of this to my family, treating it like a exaggerated fire drill exercise so they will not be caught completely off guard when the real thing happens.
•   The Sacramento Valley is very low on the seismic activity but I am assuming this would change and/or still be prone to mass ocean flooding.
•   This then leads me to my topic:  What route to take to safety??
•   I’m assuming water would rush in through the Bay Area at a constant speed over land of 60 MPH with some delays going over the coastal range and through certain passes.  I figure this gives my about 1.5 to 2 hours before the water reaches the Sierra Nevada Foothills. 
•   If I find out about the water within the first 30 minutes of its approach through the Bay Area I have 30 minutes to load the van and family and be on the road for an hour.
•   One of them problems then is whether to go up Highway 80 and over the mountains if they are starting to crumble or go straight to Kings Canyon area (again possible crumbling) or head south towards Arizona.

Thoughts??

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
Re: California Planning - Escape route
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 04:57:22 PM »
Hi Stacker, looks like we're on the same boat. 
I live on the Peninsula and if I only had a few hours to bug out, I'd try to take Highway 35 down to Los Gatos, then head Eastbound.  I picked this route for two reasons, 1. It's high in elevation (highest point 3,000 feet), therefore may be the safer way to go in case of flooding, and 2. Highway 35 is remote/rural.  Would sure beat sitting on the 80 with everyone else using that same route to bug out.  This is the only route I can see myself using while trying to bug out of the Peninsula.
Would like to hear your thoughts, too.

errrv

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 05:23:30 PM »
Hi guys! Definitely plan on heading east to the Sierra Nv or to 4 corners. The key is to get out before the big kahuna even thinks about hitting. That's the hard part! Try to start doing everything based off intuition (your little voice). The stronger this gets, the easier to sense coming danger & bolt. Watch for animal migrations such as birds etc.

If TSHTF and you are still there... All bets are pretty much off. Not saying you will perish, but chances of survival drop greatly. If you start feeling nervous, take that much needed vacation!
Erv

Mark Harbolt

• stringers
  • Prolific Member
  • Those that can, do.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 06:29:23 PM »
Hey Stacker!

Welcome
I'm in Vacaville and have rehearsed this several times.  A year ago, October, I had a project in Cedar City Utah.  Before it was done I had driven from Vacaville to Cedar City up and over I-80 five times.  My last return  trip was I-15 to the 40 to the 5 and north.

I believe, as Erv has stated, it's important to be in touch with the voices in your head.  I chose I-80 up and over because there will be little if any "exodus" arterial traffic merging from the Sacramento area.  It's not the same as ALL the valley joining on I-5 and 99.
Three hours to Reno when I have "left in time".

Mark

BuddhaKitty

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 07:01:11 PM »
Mark, it seems like you're in a good spot to catch the 80.  You'll be far ahead of others, especially if you listen to that little voice that tells you when it's time to go.  I'd imagine the odds would be in your favor as soon as you've passed the Sierras.
Erv, that is the hardest part indeed, knowing when to leave.  I've been alert especially with all the earthquakes that have been happening around the Pacific Rim since Spring equinox, including that 7+ that struck Chile yesterday.
Sorry to say, but I don't think we'll get much of a warning here in California.... Wish I was psychic and *knew* when to go.  As long as we have supplies at the very least, We could be 10 steps ahead of others (i.e., while people are in a panic and stampeding to the stores, we'll be on our merry way out of here... if there's still a way out!)
I don't have many options on where to go, I'm now searching for land with a well, lake, or year-round river... no bells and whistles, just an acre or less of wooded area with potable water.
Stacker, where in CA are you?

Mark Harbolt

• stringers
  • Prolific Member
  • Those that can, do.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 07:57:50 PM »
Thumbs up Buddhakitty.

Mark Harbolt

• stringers
  • Prolific Member
  • Those that can, do.
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 06:00:49 PM »
Welcome Stacker.

The Life we don't have rings soooo true.  My intent, that of being a "rescuer", is to restart a simple life based on family unity and shared interest.  Hence the desire to join up with others and start sooner than later.
I can't replace my income once I start over.  I will have to break from my current "reality" and bring forth a new life.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 08:48:13 AM »
Hi guys! Definitely plan on heading east to the Sierra Nv or to 4 corners. The key is to get out before the big kahuna even thinks about hitting. That's the hard part! Try to start doing everything based off intuition (your little voice). The stronger this gets, the easier to sense coming danger & bolt. Watch for animal migrations such as birds etc.

If TSHTF and you are still there... All bets are pretty much off. Not saying you will perish, but chances of survival drop greatly. If you start feeling nervous, take that much needed vacation!
Erv

Erv just wanted to acknowledge your post and say keep on keepin' on here, as long as you can...
We need your good ideas and info,
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 05:40:01 PM »
Hi All. Maybe this will help someone living in the greater Los Angeles area, or
anywhere there on the coast, south coast, etc. A (possible) survival location to evacuate to.
L.A. CA northeast to Lucerne Valley less than 3 hrs in good conditions.

Data: Lucerne Valley is considered a
"semi-arid climate or steppe climate," which "is the climate of a region that receives precipitation below potential evapotranspiration, but not extremely." So there is water there. Elevation is 2,953 ft (900 m)

I just saw an ad on eBay. Just to give an example. No reserve land sale of two acres in Lucerne Valley.
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-ACRE-LOT-NEAR-DOWNTOWN-SOUTHERN-CALIFORNIA-CASH-SALE-NO-RESERVE-/301476204585?pt=Land&hash=item463161d029
2 ACRE LOT NEAR DOWNTOWN. SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. CASH SALE - NO RESERVE !   
ELECTRIC ON LOT, PAVED RD ACCESS, MINUTES FROM SCHOOLS

You might wonder - well what good would 2 acres do me? It is big enough for a steel container shelter and or a buried bunker and some underground storage of water and food. With fencing on the road side and discretion it is possible no one need know what you are building. Or storing. Just a thought.
- Yowbarb   Image: L.A. CA northeast to Lucerne Valley less than 3 hrs in good conditions.
                  Image: Two acre lot

Time left: 1 day 20 hours        Sunday, 4:37PM   
Current bid: US $755.00

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 05:55:54 AM »
Yowbarb Note: For escapees from Los Angeles, Littlerock might be a better area. Definitely more water than Lucerne Valley in previous post.  Just don't pick a spot downhill from that dam...
Photo at bottom of this post, a 2012 Photo by Hank Myers - Littlerock Dam overflowing

http://www.lacountyland.com/images/land/la3040031030/map.gif

http://digital-desert.com/a/antelopevalley/lr01.jpg

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 07:03:40 AM »
There is another way to get out of L.A. although it can be treacherous. From around Glendale, CA in the northern part of L.A. county catch the 2 or it might be marked Angeles Crest HWY.
Around Big Rock Road, the Angeles Crest Hwy continues on as CA-2 E which continues across the Angeles National Forest. There is no guarantee of success going this way due to the possibility of forest fires - or landslides in the winter. It is shorter than the previous route posted, might get you away from hordes of people on freeways quicker. Since it is a little farther north - possibly less highway damage from earthquakes, etc. in the event all h____ breaks loose. In the event of tsunamis or other events best to live in the northern part of L.A. anyway near the access to this highway.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angeles_Crest_Highway
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angeles_Crest_Highway#Access_and_closures

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angeles_Crest_Highway#mediaviewer/File:Angeles_Crest_Highway_map.png
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 07:23:49 AM by Yowbarb »

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!