Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: Healing plants, herbs and foods  (Read 66243 times)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Healing plants, herbs and foods
« Reply #225 on: August 12, 2018, 04:24:56 PM »
I use wild yam cream topically on a regular basis, per doctor's orders.  Can't imagine that being deadly, as it is a food and contains weak amounts of phyto-progesterone that are beneficial to post-menopausal women.  But maybe I underestimate the strength of homeopathics?

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #226 on: August 13, 2018, 07:41:33 PM »
I use wild yam cream topically on a regular basis, per doctor's orders.  Can't imagine that being deadly, as it is a food and contains weak amounts of phyto-progesterone that are beneficial to post-menopausal women.  But maybe I underestimate the strength of homeopathics?
I don't believe the material wild yam is deadly, as I also use it daily.  But the homeopathic wild yam is an energy version, and homeopathic remedies are usually for a specific ailment or condition, usually with a course of treatment, but not meant to take every day for the rest of one's life.

What I had been doing was gradually increasing the potency, beginning at 1C, and by 20C, I got the message to stop.  I realized later that the reason I was taking it was not a disease or medical condition, but more of a quasi-cosmetic reason.  Not necessary, but desired.  I just had not realized how powerful homeopathics can be.

But if a person has found that a particular potency of wild yam works for them, that would probably be fine.  Problem is, I hadn't found that perfect potency, and had probably accidentally gotten into potencies too powerful for my own good.

Is the wild yam you take homeopathic?  If so, which potency?

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #227 on: August 14, 2018, 06:59:01 AM »
Mine is a purely topical cream. 

Well, I have a fresh respect for the potency of homeopathics now!   :)

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #228 on: September 19, 2018, 10:09:23 AM »
In reviewing my decades-old HerbalGram magazines before donating them to an herbalist and her herb shop, I am discovering things I had long since forgotten, and some of these are incredible.  I could not find copyright infringement notices of any kind, so am reposting an article from HerbalGram No. 26, (1992).  Also, note that this article may be relevant to a new rash of "food doctoring" in which strawberries have apparently been spiked with needles, as posted elsewhere on PXTH. 

The following is posted, not because I am suggesting those so affected should avoid the allopathic medical community and instead try the following procedure.  But in a crisis situation where no physician or medical help is available, the following information could save a life.

Traditional Chinese Medicine — (chives for swallowed pins & needles)
By Albert Leung, Ph.D.
Here are two simple but interesting remedies from a single issue of the Sichuan Zhongyi  (Sichuan Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine), …the second remedy may be new to most Westerners.

….Jiucai (Chinese chives, allium tuberous) for removing swelled needles in children.  Sichuan Zhongyi, 8(11): 2-3 (1990).
These two cases are reported by Zhou Laifa of the PLA Hangzhou Sanatorium.

Case 1 was a five-year-old girl who had accidentally swallowed a 4-cm-long needle.  On presentation, X-ray examination revealed that the needle was lodged crosswise at the lesser curvature of the stomach.  Following a folk remedy, 250 g of fresh Chinese chives were cut into 3-inch lengths, cooked to half-done, and fed to the child all at once.  The next morning, no needle was found in the child’s feces.  X-ray examination revealed that the needle had moved down to the ileocecal region.  Another 250 g of Chinese chives were used in the same manner as before.  The next morning, the needle was found excreted in the feces wrapped in the chives.  The patient suffered no deleterious effects.

Case 2 was a six-year-old boy who had accidentally swallowed a pin.  X-ray examination revealed the pin lodged crosswise at the gastropyloric region.  Immediately, 400 g of Chinese chives were cooked as in the Case 1 example and fed to the child all at once.  The next morning, the pin was found excreted in the feces, wrapped in the chives.  The patient suffered no ill effects,

Chinese chives are sold in Chinatowns in major cities.  They are called “gao choi” in Cantonese and “jiu Cai” in Mandarin.  Flowers and leaves are sold separately as vegetables; the seeds are used as a male tonic.  There are two kinds of leaves:  the blanched (yellow) and unbalanced (green).  Blanches chives are produced by depriving the plant of sunlight during part of its growth; these leaves are normally used in wonton soups and have different flavor than that of unbalanced chives.  The leaves used in the remedy are unbalanced.

This is not the first report  of using Chinese chives to remove swallowed pins and needles that I have seen.  The difference is that this report traced the location of the swallowed needle/pin.  I am not familiar with what modern physicians normally do in this kind of situation, but the Chinese chives method seems so easy and effective.

(HerbalGram offers the material in this article for informational purposes only, not to be used as a basis for self-medication.)
(This article was originally published on page 34 of HerbalGram No. 26  — 1992.)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #229 on: September 19, 2018, 10:44:47 AM »
Found this handsome bunch of them:

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #230 on: September 20, 2018, 01:40:41 PM »
Makes one wonder if all chives have the same qualities. 

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #231 on: September 20, 2018, 01:47:57 PM »
In that same article containing the Chinese chives research, entitled "Traditional Chinese Medicine", HerbalGram No. 26 -- 1992, is a discussion of peanut leaves for insomnia.

"Use of fresh peanut shoots in treating insomnia."    Sichuan Zhongyi 8,(11)29-30 (2990).  This is a report by Yang Ceming of the Nuclear Industry No. 416 Hospital in Chengdu.  Yang tried peanut shoots on his patients suffering from insomnia and found the treatment to be fast, effective, simple, and economical with no adverse side effects.

Method:  Place 30 g fresh young shoots in a teacup and pour in 150 ml boiling water.  Drink this tea one hour before retiring every night.  It normally takes only two to three days to take effect.

The author did not give the number of patients treated by this method.   

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Healing plants, herbs and foods: Disinfo Campaign Against Superfoods
« Reply #232 on: October 07, 2018, 11:27:37 AM »
For at least a decade now, many of us have been learning about Superfoods and trying to include more of them in our diets.  They tend to be from plants which naturally happen to be highly colored and flavored:

Here's an article, however, which says that Big-Agra and Big-Pharma are withdrawing their funding from periodicals which mention Superfoods, and furthermore may even be actively persuading editors to include disinformation debunking their benefits.  Never mind that scientific journals have published countless clinical trial results unequivocally concluding their importance to human health.

https://www.thesleuthjournal.com/the-fake-news-war-on-superfoods/

Among the superfoods attacked...are quinoa, goji and acai berries, chia seeds, maca tea, coconut oil, spirulina, kale, all of which have a solid record of aiding people’s nutrition.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 12:05:23 PM by R.R. Book »

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #233 on: October 07, 2018, 03:50:36 PM »
Any time anyone tries to discredit organic, brightly colored fruits and veggies, many people nowadays know to run in the other direction (towards those brightly colored fruits and veggies)!

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #234 on: October 07, 2018, 04:49:54 PM »
Absolutely!  :)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #235 on: November 28, 2018, 09:44:09 AM »
Ranking of antioxidant levels in northern berry species:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3751288/figure/F0001/

One of the most remarkable conclusions of this study was that the antioxidant levels were so high that heat-processing didn't significantly reduce their value.  Good to know for those who put up preserves and dehydrate.

Another study demonstrated that liquid preparations of the berries at the higher antioxidant (left-side) end of the spectrum remained shelf-stable and did not deteriorate over time:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23868799
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:54:44 AM by R.R. Book »

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #236 on: November 28, 2018, 11:52:05 AM »

Another study demonstrated that liquid preparations of the berries at the higher antioxidant (left-side) end of the spectrum remained shelf-stable and did not deteriorate over time:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23868799
Fascinating about the liquid preps.  Maybe liquefying the berries makes the nutrients more readily accessible to our digestive tracts.  Makes sense, as "they" often say we don't chew our food properly, which means nutrients go down the drain, literally.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #237 on: November 30, 2018, 04:40:21 AM »
Adding another ORAC score profile which includes a few other berries not previously mentioned:

http://www.traditional-foods.com/antioxidants/elderberries/

If I understand the antioxidant measurement scale correctly, the values in the chart in the previous post are stated in micromols of *Trolox Equivalents/100g fresh weight, while the values in this chart may just be stated in µmTE (not divided by 100).  Please feel welcome to correct me, if anyone can find a better definition.

So Black Raspberries as measured on this chart at 192 µmTE ORAC would fit between the highest two berries scored on the above chart, Lingonberries and High-Bush Cranberries, if dividing by 100.

*Trolox Equivalents are total antioxidant strength of all antioxidants present in a food, unsorted by type.

Also noteworthy in the above ORAC study in Post #235: Dehydrated berries are 10x higher in antioxidants than fresh, and wild berries are at least twice as potent as cultivated, so by all means we should plan to stash fruit leather/dried fruits, and go foraging

Discrepancies between same berry-type on the two charts can be attributed to the soil composition in which each berry sample was grown, so values do vary widely by geographical location, but berries that tend to have high ORAC scores will consistently be at the higher end of the scale.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 05:42:58 AM by R.R. Book »

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY SMART AND DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME

This book needs to be on your survival checklist because it offers a simple path for visioning, leading, and supervising the creation of an effective survival communications strategy.

Learn more...