Win-Win Survival Communities The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Radio Free Earth

Author Topic: Healing plants, herbs and foods  (Read 100328 times)

Yowbarb

Re: Healing plants, herbs and foods
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2014, 11:42:00 PM »
Yowbarb Note: This was in my Facebook news feed... Worth reading!

http://www.lahealthyliving.com/1/post/2013/04/eggshells-calcium-rich-food.html

How Eggshells Can Naturally Heal Your Cavities and More

Posted on 28 April, 2013 by Anya Vien

The shell of an egg is such a common product that is readily discarded as useless. We don’t view it as anything beneficial to our household. Unfortunately, this is a common misconception because it is not only beneficial as a nutritionally dense food, but It can be used for several purposes. Hungarian physician Krompeher, with a group of medics and biologists, became interested in the healthy properties of eggshells. More than 10 years of research have shown that eggshells are the ideal source of bio-available calcium (dense and well absorbed).

Eggshells contain the perfect amount of the ideal substances for healing cavities – massive amounts of calcium and 27 other minerals. The composition of eggshells resembles our teeth. Eggshells provide the necessary amount of calcium to remineralize teeth. Just boil shells from one organic free range egg  for about 5 minutes. You can add them daily into your smoothies or grind them into a fine powder and add it to your food.

Eggshells have unique beneficial medicinal properties
•Bone tissue is composed of calcium.  Actually, human bones and teeth are very similar to an eggshell’s composition. One of the benefits of eggshells is the calcium contained in the shell (93 %), the bone marrow is fulfilling its hematopoietic function better.
•Additionally, eggshells also contain mineral elements: magnesium, phosphorus, silicon,  sodium, potassium, iron, sulfur, aluminum, etc.

Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox: How a Little-Known Vitamin Could Save Your Life
•  There are 27 elements found in the eggshells.  Also the protein of a shell is composed of such essential amino acids as methionine, cysteine, lysine, isoleucine. Thus, properly prepared eggshells are the most balanced natural means to obtain calcium.
•Eggshells are especially beneficial for small children because their bodies experience more intensively involved in the formation of bone tissue, which requires an uninterrupted flow of calcium. Shell’s included in baby food can be beneficial to prevent  rickets and anemia, which usually develops in parallel with rickets. Shell’s promote activation of blood in the bone tissue.
•Studies also showed accelerated healing when using the shell for treating such orthopedic diseases as congenital dislocation of a hip or osteoporosis (softening of the bones).

To use  eggshells for medicinal purposes, you need to use organic eggs in order to avoid any chemicals or antibiotics.

How to prepare:
 Take eggshells and put them in boiling water for about 5 minutes. The boiling will kill any pathogens. Then, air dry the shells and grind the shells in a coffee grinder. Take a 1/2 teaspoon a day. It is important to note that Vitamin D greatly aids calcium absorption.  So make sure to get enough sunlight or eat organ meats such as liver.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23607686

Jimfarmer

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2014, 08:03:13 AM »

The membrane on the interior of the shell contains an anti-aging molecule.  I put the shell of my morning egg in the tea water as it heats.

pbutter72

« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2014, 08:48:43 PM »

The membrane on the interior of the shell contains an anti-aging molecule.  I put the shell of my morning egg in the tea water as it heats.

Thank you for this tidbit Jimfamer! My children eat eggs often, so I am going to try this the next time they do!

~pB

Kyirrie

« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2014, 01:57:45 AM »
Great info guys :) I can definitely testify to the value of eggshells as I let my chooks eat them along with shell grit to make their eggs shells stronger. I always know when they are not getting enough calcium in their diet because their eggshells become very thin and brittle.
(I have about 30 something chickens, and have just had 2 chicks hatch 3 weeks ago and another 7 hatched overnight!  :D )

Cheers,
Kyirrie

pbutter72

« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2014, 12:31:38 PM »
Great info guys :) I can definitely testify to the value of eggshells as I let my chooks eat them along with shell grit to make their eggs shells stronger. I always know when they are not getting enough calcium in their diet because their eggshells become very thin and brittle.
(I have about 30 something chickens, and have just had 2 chicks hatch 3 weeks ago and another 7 hatched overnight!  :D )

Cheers,
Kyirrie

Awesome Kyrrie! I plan to keep a few chickens once I move to a larger space with at least a backyard-- I would like to contact you for some advice when I do :)

~pB

Yowbarb

« Reply #125 on: February 01, 2014, 07:57:02 AM »
pbutter I love those old Government - War time posters.  :)

Wouldn't it be nice if the government totally expected everyone to have chickens and gardens? No matter where they lived? There could be a small free range one - but enclosed - and partly covered...
and a garden too - on top of every high rise, in every apartment back yard.  ;D  :o  8) Little pathways in and around...

Well, it is starting to happen ? I couldn't tell by looking at this image, but that is  ALL food growing on that NY rooftop.  ;D I'd like to see more dirt and more chickens but I suppose it's all happening somewhere...

Rooftop Farm in New York City Grows 50,000 Pounds of Organic Produce Per ... http://prn.fm/tag/chicken-coop/ 

Kyirrie

« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2014, 04:08:13 AM »

Cheers,
Kyirrie

Awesome Kyrrie! I plan to keep a few chickens once I move to a larger space with at least a backyard-- I would like to contact you for some advice when I do :)

~pB

Hi pB :)
It's been a while since we talked on MySpace :) If you get a chance to have some chooks of your own, you won't regret it. They are great pets as well as food providers, and excellent recyclers of organic waste, you can't go wrong :)
BTW, love that old poster :) It's a classic!  :D
Contact me anytime you like, I'd be happy to help :)
Cheers,
Kyirrie

Yowbarb

« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2014, 11:57:53 AM »
http://ezinearticles.com/?10-Benefits-of-Chickweed---Using-Chickweed-to-Boost-Your-Health-and-Cleanse-Your-Body&id=5913721

10 Benefits of Chickweed - Using Chickweed to Boost Your Health and Cleanse Your Body
by Sean N. Burrows

Yowbarb

« Reply #128 on: August 29, 2014, 12:18:19 PM »
I'm back on the D.E. - diatomaceous earth. One of my daughters is now stirring it into our Nutribullet drinks. I sitll have the diatomaceous in cranberry juice regular (sweetened but no corn syrup) along with honey, Lousiana Hot Sauce with cayenne...
Liking it,
Yowbarb

ilinda

« Reply #129 on: February 09, 2015, 05:21:52 PM »
An article from Dr. Mercola's e-newsletter today showcases how a food can be a medicine, and a medicine can be a food:

(from www.mercola.com)

Subscribe to The World's #1 Natural Health Website†

Collard Greens
Recipe
Story at-a-glance

Collard greens bring a number of cancer-fighting nutrients to the table: vitamin K to resist inflammation, glucosinolates to rid your body of toxins and enzyme-releasing myrosinase.
    Cruciferous vegetables like collard greens, broccoli, cabbage, kale, and turnips have more vitamin A carotenoids, folic acid, and dietary fiber than any other food group.
    Steamed for just five minutes, simple collard greens blended with a homemade Mediterranean dressing and tasty options make this dish versatile as well as delicious.

5-Minute Collard Greens
February 09, 2015 | 16,701 views

By Dr. Mercola

A cool-temperature crop, collard greens may be one of the more obscure leafy veggies in some parts of the world, but in others – the American South in particular – it’s been a staple for generations. Broad and relatively smooth with deep green coloring, collard green leaves can grow as high as three to four feet , so harvesting enough for dinner shouldn’t take long!

From the cruciferous family of vegetables (sometimes referred to as a “brassica”), collard greens, as well as its cousin kale and mustard greens, come in a leafy variety. Also crucifers, broccoli, and cauliflower produce florets and stems, while rutabagas, radishes, and turnips are root veggies with similar nutritive advantages.

When buying collard greens at the grocery store, they’re best between November and April. You want to find them with firm, crisp leaves with no yellowing. Choose organic whenever possible. When growing them yourself, cut the leaves about four inches from the ground. Note that after cutting, they’ll continue to grow for later harvest.

Store leaf vegetables in a plastic bag with as much of the air released as possible, and place them in the crisper section of your refrigerator to keep for up to five days. If you wash them, blot them dry– and even wrap them – with paper or cotton towels to prevent mildew.

Best of the Best Benefits of Collard Greens

These leafy greens rank in the top four vegetables providing vitamin K1 – a whopping 1,045 percent of the daily value – which aids your body in two ways: First, it provides a healthy level of blood clotting activity that involves a delicate balance of proteins only this vitamin can give.

Second, it offers bone support. Bone cells called osteoclasts rely on a two-part mechanism to help prevent mineral loss. One part of the mechanism extracts minerals from your bones to use in other parts of your body when necessary, while the other part keeps them from taking too much. Vitamin K works to keep the two in balance.

Another aspect of vitamin K is that it works with omega-3 fatty acids, specifically alpha-linolenic acid, or ALA, to battle inflammation. While the vitamin K regulates the inflammatory response, the omega-3s form the cornerstone for some of the most important anti-inflammatory messaging molecules in your body.

As a further three-pronged approach, collard greens contain glucosinolates called glucobrassicin that can convert into an isothiocyanate molecule called indole-3-carbinol, or I3C, a compound with the ability to activate and prevent an inflammatory response at its earliest stage.2

Individuals of every age might appreciate the fact that another benefit of Vitamin K is its ability to limit neuronal damage in the brains of Alzheimer's patients.3

Collard greens also contain four specific phytonutrients – caffeic acid, ferulic acid, quercetin, and kaempferol – that lower oxidative stress in your cells.  . Factors like air pollution, second-hand smoke and even poor eating habits can be harmful to your body; eating fresh vegetables like collard greens not only helps negate those factors, it helps fight cancer even further.

Other phytonutrients in collard greens, specifically diindolylmethane and sulforaphane, have been clinically proven to combat breast, prostate, ovarian, cervical, and colon cancer cells, help prevent their growth and even help prevent them from forming in the first place.4

‘And That’s Not All…’

Collard greens are an excellent source of dietary fiber, once known by our great grandparents as “ruffage.” Ingesting naturally high-fiber foods like these can not only help control your LDL (bad) cholesterol levels and prevent constipation, but may inhibit colon cancer.

A Medical News Today article5 noted:

“Collard greens and other green vegetables that contain high amounts of chlorophyll have been shown to be effective at blocking the carcinogenic effects of heterocyclic amines, which are generated when grilling foods at a high temperature. If you tend to like your grilled foods charred, make sure to pair them with green vegetables to help negate these effects.”

Many different foods contain the nutrients to make you healthier by eating just one serving, and collard greens fit this bill. Here’s another way: When the sulfur-containing leaves are broken down by chopping or chewing, glucosinolates release the enzyme myrosinase which break down cancer-fighting isothiocyanates. Research notes this compound to be particularly effective against lung and esophageal cancers, as well as cancers of the gastrointestinal and respiratory tracts.6

Besides providing necessary folates to augment DNA synthesis and help prevent neural tube defects in babies, these greens are also an excellent source of vitamin A and carotenoids like lutein, carotenes, zeaxanthin and crypto-xanthin, which also contain antioxidants. Vitamin A in collard greens also aids in maintaining healthy skin, mucous membranes, and healthy vision.

More Reasons to Eat Collard Greens

Experts recommend that you not only eat cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, kale, and mustard greens “often,” but that collard greens specifically should have a regular place in your lunch and dinner repertoire on a fairly regular basis.

Why collard greens?
To quote the George Mateljan Foundation:

“In a recent study, steamed collard greens outshined steamed kale, mustard greens, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and cabbage in terms of its ability to bind bile acids in the digestive tract. When this bile acid binding takes place, it is easier for the bile acids to be excreted from the body. Since bile acids are made from cholesterol, the net impact of this bile acid binding is a lowering of the body's cholesterol level. It's worth noting that steamed collards show much greater bile acid binding ability than raw collards.”

At the same time, because of the odiferous break-down of these sulfur compounds, you want to make sure you don’t steam your collard greens too long.

For the best collard greens flavor and texture, choose slightly smaller leaves than the toughest outer layer. For the optimum nutritional benefits from the aforementioned enzyme-releasing myrosinase, allow these leafy greens to sit for at least five minutes after chopping.

It’s the versatility in serving options that make fresh foods – like lettuce, for instance – so popular. By adding flavor-enhancing ingredients, you can work your collard greens repertoire in much the same way. The George Mateljan Foundation7 recommends a delicious, nutritious serving technique that’s also quick and convenient:

5-Minute Collard Greens

Ingredients:

1 pound collard greens, chopped

Mediterranean Dressing

1 tsp. lemon juice
        1 medium garlic clove, pressed or chopped
        1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
        Sea salt and black pepper to taste
        1-½ TBS sunflower seeds

Optional:

½ red onion, sliced (add to steamer with collard greens)
        6 kalamata olives, sliced
        3 Tbsp. pumpkin seeds
        5 drops organic soy sauce
        Dash of cayenne pepper

Instructions

Rinse the greens in cold water.
        Place two inches of water into a steamer pot and bring to a rapid boil.
        Cut the leaves into half-inch slices, turn to cut crosswise, and chop the stems into quarter-inch pieces. Sprinkle on the lemon juice (another way to activate the enzymes) and allow to sit for a minimum of five minutes.
        Press or finely chop the garlic and allow it to sit for 5 minutes, as well.
        Add your greens and garlic to the steamer and steam for no more than five minutes.
        Transfer to a large bowl and, while they’re hot, toss with the remaining ingredients.

ilinda

« Reply #130 on: February 15, 2015, 07:12:56 PM »
Last week I received results of my laboratory/medical tests and one of them is very encouraging, not only for me, but hopefully for those reading this who are concerned about bone health, bone loss, and even osteoporosis.  '

Osteoporosis, the medical name for thinning bones, often affects women as they approach and pass menopause, but it can also affect men.  There are many factors that can aggravate it, including intake of coffee, dark carbonated soft drinks, cigarette smoking, alcoholic beverages, lack of physical activity, certain pharmaceuticals, and more.  In general it could be thought of as a disease of civilization.

I have done as much as possible to avoid it, wishing to erase the effects of a former smoking habit and former intake of Pepsi, and began getting tested for osteoporosis in 2011.  There are several ways to test for it, and I choose the non-radiological method, ultrasound of the heel bone.  This "BMD" or Bone Mineral Density Ultra Sound Screening gives results in one of three categories:

Low Risk-- levels of  >=  -1.2
Moderate Risk--levels between  -1.3  and  -2.5
High Risk -- levels of <=  -2.6

My 2011 level was -1.9 which was exactly halfway into the Moderate Risk category.  The second testing, February, 2015, results were also in the Moderate Risk, but level was  -1.4  which is very close to the Low Risk category.

In my opinion the reason my bone mineral density actually increased during that time period from 2011 till 2015 was due to one or both of the only changes in my lifestyle during that time:
1)  began daily intake of RAW, organic goat milk in 2012; and
2) began ingesting organic eggshells in 2014.

Since there is an approximate 25% increase in my "score" from the 2011 level of  -1.9  to the 2015 level of  -1.4, I take this as meaning I have regained 25% of the bone mass that I had presumably lost in years past.  With continuing use of eggshells and raw milk, I hope to someday have a level of "zero" which would mean zero bone loss.

Both eggshells and raw milk are noted for their positive influence on bones (as well as other benefits).  ( Eggshells are discussed in Reply #122 above.) 
Weston Price has information that talks about how the pasteurization process denatures some of the milk proteins, one important one being a phosphatase enzyme that is critical for helping in bone-building.  With that phosphatase enzyme denatured and useless from pasteurization, bone-building is severely impaired.  This may be one reason many people are flocking to raw milk, although it has many other benefits as well.

I should mention that when I get raw milk, I immediately make it into yogurt which has a very long shelf life, in addition to being a fermented product which is helthful in its own right.  The easiest way for me to take a bit of eggshell every morning and evening is to take it with a little whey, which is plentiful when you have yogurt around.

If I can find some of the relevant links I've seen in the past, will post them as well.  Hope this helps others.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:16:47 AM by ilinda »

ilinda

« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2015, 08:26:36 AM »
More on eggshells and how they help build healthy bones.  It should be noted that organic eggshells are always preferable, as convenional eggshells often contain heavy metals.  It has been discussed in Mother Earth News and other publications, that arsenic is often fed to chickens to "help them fatten", but then of course that arsenic ends up in the meat as well as the eggs, including their shells.  So, go organic.

Below are one link and two articles (each with links) relevant to the eggshell issue related to bone health.  Some of this might be repetitious since Yowbarb had already posted a rather dynamite article on eggshells for health.  You can never have too many good articles to read!

http://www.curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=114358
Article-Egg Shells as a Calcium Supplement
Forum: Ask Moreless: pH Balance

Article-Egg Shells as a Calcium Supplement    R joylovepeace   9y  5,572 

joylovepeace
Date: 6/21/2006 11:48:44 PM   ( 9y ago )   Hits:   5572
Just like Moreless teaches-minerals are absorbed better when they are combined with other trace minerals!

http://www.regardingme.com/shells-calcium-supplement-a-4.html?sPath...

"Egg Shells as a Calcium Supplement

By Hal Ewing, B.Sc. in Nutrition
Abstract

Egg Shell Calcium presents healthy, balanced calcium support—and is great for women, due to trace amounts of concomitant minerals. Egg Shell Calcium is probably the best natural source of calcium, and is easier for your body to digest and absorb.

The use of egg shells as an ideal calcium supplement is backed by "hard science." Studies show that egg shell minerals can exert beneficial effects on bone density, largely as a consequence of their well absorbed content of calcium.

An added advantage of egg shells is their content of other trace amounts of elements that are useful in building bone e.g. magnesium, sulphur, silicon and boron. Dutch researchers have described recently a highly positive effect of egg shell calcium, (with added magnesium and vitamin D) on bone mineral density.

Egg Shell Calcium Post-Menopause

These researchers treated 85 post-menopausal women between the age of 50 and 70 years in a well controlled scientific study (double blind, placebo-controlled). Laboratory test and measures of bone density were carefully made in these studies and the subjects were divided into three groups.

One group received egg shell powder enriched supplements, the second group received calcium carbonate enriched supplements and the third group received placebo-("sugar" pills, "dummy" medicine). The striking outcome of the study was that only the egg-shell-supplemented group had measurable increases in bone density in their hip bones, after one year of supplements.

The calcium carbonate treated group and placebo treated group showed no significant increase in hip bone density. These findings suggested that egg shell calcium enriched with other nutrients were superior to calcium carbonate (a popular supplement).

Proven...by the chickens!

This documented benefits of dietary supplementation with eggshell powder comes from an unlikely source. This research source is from experiments in chickens themselves! Turkish researchers have studied the effects of various sources of calcium fed to hens on egg production and egg shell quality.

In these studies, hens fed egg shell calcium in their diet produced eggs with thicker shells than hens fed "regular" calcium carbonate. Experiments in young pigs demonstrate that egg shell powder is a better source of calcium than calcium carbonate. In this important study, the ability of calcium to be absorbed from egg shell powder and digestibility and tolerance of egg shell powder was measured and compared with regular calcium carbonate additions to diet.

The results showed that calcium from egg shells was more digestible, compared with regular calcium carbonate. This study also showed that benefits of egg shells as an ideal way of adding of calcium to protein in the diet.

Egg Shell Calcium and Vitamin D

The ideal bone-building combination of egg shell calcium and vitamin D3 is well documented in Japanese studies. Researchers at the Japan Women's University, Tokyo studied a combination of vitamin D3 and egg shell powder in animals with osteoporosis. Not only was the egg shell powder with added vitamin D3 able to improve bone mineral density, it did it without significantly increasing blood calcium levels. It did not cause hypercalcemia like regular calcium carbonate.

http://thehealthyadvocate.com/2010/06/01/eggshells-a-bioavailable-source-of-calcium/

Eggshells – A Bioavailable Source of Calcium

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1-mxRQOqBo]

The Calcium “Myth”

Each and everyone of us have been told that we need calcium to build stronger bones, and this nutrient has been blasted on the airwaves, promoting the mass consumption of milk and dairy products. I do believe that raw dairy products are beneficial, but the conventional pasteurized dairy is what is being touted as the healthy source of our daily calcium, and this just isn’t true.
If you are only focusing on calcium for building strong bones, you are going to increase your risks for developing fractures and osteoporosis later on in your life. This is because many minerals work together synergistically to combine a strong support system for bone health and growth. Calcium is an important nutrient; however, there are minerals that are essential that you may be missing out on while only focusing on drinking your milk.

Get your bones in shape! Photo courtesy of TeamSugar.com
Bone Building Nutrients and Their Sources

Let’s look at the most important minerals and nutrients you need to grow stronger bones. Listen to that last part of the sentence–stronger bones, not just denser bones. Density and size of bone doesn’t always equal strength.
Incorporating these nutrients are quite easy to do, and do not provide much effort or money to place into your healthy lifestyle.
Vitamin D. I’ve written about Vitamin D before (specifically Vitamin D3), and you are probably already aware of the importance that Vitamin D has in our body. This vitamin is usually added to milk to fortify it, as it helps increase the absorption of calcium into our bodies. However, sometimes this is in the form of Vitamin D2, not D3 which is what you need, or even worse, it isn’t absorbable by the majority of your body.
I have a few plants growing outside, and they require sunlight at all times. Humans require sunlight as well; not as much as the plant kingdom, but it still provides this incredible vitamin for us when we expose our bare skin to it a few minutes a day. When sunlight hits our naked skin (meaning arms and legs and face uncovered–not necessarily your entire body, unless you have a private place to yourself…), it converts the cholesterol in our skin to Vitamin D and regulates over 3,000 genes in our body. It also helps facilitate and transport the calcium in our diet to the bones and muscles that need it.
Vitamin D can be found in food sources in small quantities, and also in supplement form. However, the best source is from the sunlight, and is completely free. Dr. Joseph Mercola, from Mercola.com, advises to go outside in the sun just until your skin turns a light shad of pink. This is when all the Vitamin D that your body can produce has been produced, and any more exposure to the sun can lead to free radical production and damage to your body. One food source of Vitamin D comes from egg yolk, which also provides a high quality protein.
Vitamin K. This vitamin is almost like Vitamin D, except it acts a “binder”, in a way, to help ‘insert’ the calcium that you take in from food sources into your bones. It is essential that you receive this vitamin in the forms of K1 and K2. Vitamin K1 is found in most green, leafy vegetables, and K2 is found in fermented foods raw, fermented dairy products (natto, kefir, yogurt, aged cheese). K2 is probably the most significant, whereas K3 (synthetic version) can have adverse health effects due to the likelihood of toxicity.
Protein. Most people believe that those who consume more protein will actually secrete it in their urine, and lead to the leeching of calcium from your bones. This is true, but increasing your levels of calcium intake, along with your protein intake, will compensate for the loss and help you build stronger bones. In the Journal of Clinical Nutrition, it was reported that those who consumed the most protein had a 7.5-8% higher bone mineral density and strength than those who consumed less. Today’s conventional animal protein (those that are NOT organic, do not have access to grass or free range) can challenge your body’s pH levels, leading to an acidic reaction in your body. This will steal important minerals from your bones. Therefore, when choosing an animal protein, be sure to try and get local, free range and preferably organic (if dairy, perhaps raw).
Folic Acid and B Vitamins. In The Journal of New England Medicine, they showed that increased intake of B vitamins in the diet led to lower homocysteine levels in the body. This hormone raises the risks of bone fractures. Good dietary sources include green vegetables, carrots, avocados, cantaloupe, apricots and almonds.
Omega 3 Fats. This fat, found primarily in fish, flax and chia seeds, has been shown to provide stronger bone density in a study recorded in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
Exercise. Believe it or not, but this is an essential nutrient. We must all try to aim for as much physical exercise during our day unless we want our bodies to slowly rust. Numerous studies have shown that weight bearing exercises and resistance training can help build strong bones and protect bones from becoming thin and weak. Squats and weight training are very powerful sources of this nutrient.

Egg Shells as a Bioavailable Calcium Source

Even though calcium isn’t the only mineral we need for strong bones, it is an important nutrient to consume to ensure adequate protection of them. Eggshells are about 90-95% calcium carbonate, and is easily absorbable by our bodies, unlike most dairy products and fortified foods today. This is a completely safe and health source of calcium that anyone can incorporate into their diets.
Find a source of locally grown, free range and organic eggs. The likeliness that you contract salmonella from raw eggs and egg shells are actually quite low, and in fact decrease when choosing local, free range organic eggs. In fact, nutrient quality (such as omega-3 fatty acids) are much more available in these eggs, compared to ones you find at the store.
Use the eggs as you normally would, and instead of discarding the egg shells, run them under clean, cool water. Make sure to get all the egg white out of the egg shell. You can then boil the egg shell in hot water, if you feel as though you need to kill any bacteria, and then place it in a place to air dry. Then, using a blender or coffee grinder, pulverize the egg shell into a powder.
1/2 tsp. of dry, powered egg shell contains around 400 mg of calcium. The average person should consume around 1000 mg of calcium, which is easily done if you are eating a proper diet. A good source of calcium that is bioavailable, besides egg shells, include any green leafy vegetable, as well as sardines (which contain mercury, but not as much as other fish–consume with knowledge 1-2 times per week, unless you can find a source that tests mercury free).
Use 1/2 tsp. in drinks, smoothies, cereals, recipes, etc. Excessive intake of calcium can lead to muscle cramps, so be sure to eat a banana or a magnesium source food to negate these effects.
Next post, I will discuss what you want to avoid at all costs if you are trying to protect or build your bones. Some fascinating bits of information you do not want to miss, so stay tuned for Thursday’s post.
For now, this is The Healthy Advocate.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks
   1.   Cat Care – The Best, The Easiest, The Most Natural | Cat Lovers - June 20, 2010 [...] Eggshells – A Bioavailable Source of Calcium « [...]
   2.   Healthy Bone Week, Day Two: Osteoporosis Drugs and Healthier Options « - August 6, 2010 [...] P.S. Be sure to check out this video that I did on eggshells and how you can use them in your diet for a bioavailble source of calcium. If you don’t consume dairy products, local, free range and organic egg shells may be a good option. You can also read the blog post about eggshells I did here. [...]

You are currently reading "Eggshells – A Bioavailable Source of Calcium"
Published: 01.06.2010 / 01:30 PM
Category: egg shells calcium,strong bones
Related Articles

Receive Recipes and Naturall Health News by Email

http://www.pjbs.org/ijps/fin2058.pdf
A Review of the Uses of Poultry Eggshells and Shell Membranes

ilinda

« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2015, 08:46:41 AM »
Beets Have Hemoglobin!
That was new information to me, found in this very interesting article below, about beets:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/02/16/sugar-beets-benefits.aspx?e_cid=20150216Z1_DNL_NB_art_2&utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art2&utm_campaign=20150216Z1_DNL_NB&et_cid=DM67802&et_rid=843907353

Search Mercola.com

Subscribe to The World's #1 Natural Health Website†

Story at-a-glance
   •   Hemoglobin, a protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen throughout your body, is found in plants, too, including sugar beets
   •   Beet hemoglobin is nearly identical to human hemoglobin and might one day become a blood substitute
   •   About 2.5 acres of sugar beets could produce 1-2 tons of hemoglobin, which could potentially save thousands of lives

Sugar Beets Make Hemoglobin

February 16, 2015 | 45,967 views

By Dr. Mercola
Hemoglobin is a protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen throughout your body. While you might assume this is a uniquely human protein, it’s actually found in plants, too, including sugar beets.
Researchers from Lund University in Sweden, who note that hemoglobin from blood donations falls far short of demands, hope that this plant hemoglobin, known as leghemoglobin, may one day become a blood substitute capable of saving lives.
2.5 Acres of Beets Could Save Thousands of Lives?
Sugar beets (unfortunately often genetically modified) are a common raw material used for the production of sugar, but extracting sugar from the beets is far easier than extracting hemoglobin.
According to researchers, the challenge is extracting enough from each mature beet, although they estimate that one hectare of beets (about 2.5 acres) could produce 1-2 tons of hemoglobin, which they say “could save thousands of lives.”1
While complete blood is ultimately needed for blood transfusions, hemoglobin can be given in the first five hours following an accident to help oxygen circulate throughout the body.2
The beet hemoglobin is, surprisingly, nearly identical to human hemoglobin, except for a small “surface detail” that Nélida Leiva, a doctoral student of applied biochemistry at Lund University, said extends the lifespan of the beet hemoglobin.
There are multiple types of hemoglobin in your body, including that in your blood as well as in your brain and testicles in men. The beet hemoglobin shares the most similarities with the brain hemoglobin. If you’re wondering why hemoglobin, which transports oxygen, is needed in plants, Leiva explained:3
“We have found that the hemoglobin in the plant binds nitric oxide. It is probably needed to keep certain processes in check, for example so that the nitric oxide doesn’t become toxic, and to ward off bacteria.”
More research is planned to determine if the sugar beet hemoglobin could one day be used as a blood substitute, but at least one expert is skeptical. Raúl Arredondo-Peter, who has studied the evolution of plant hemoglobins, believes the idea “is conceivable but far off because they do not carry and release oxygen at the same rates as human hemoglobins.”4
6 Reasons to Add Beets to Your Diet
Beet roots have the highest sugar content of all vegetables, but they also contain a wealth of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Adding beets to your diet a few times a week is a good way to benefit from their nutrition without overdosing on their high amounts of sugar.
Keep in mind that the red beets most people add to salads and side dishes in the US are known as table beets, and they are not the same variety as the sugar beets mentioned above (which are actually white). What are beets good for?
1. Lower Your Blood Pressure
Drinking beet juice may help to lower blood pressure in a matter of hours. One study found that drinking one glass of beet juice lowered systolic blood pressure by an average of 4-5 points.5
The benefit likely comes from the naturally occurring nitrates in beets, which are converted into nitric oxide in your body. Nitric oxide, in turn, helps to relax and dilate your blood vessels, improving blood flow and lowering blood pressure.
2. Boost Your Stamina
Those who drank beet juice prior to exercise were able to exercise for up to 16 percent longer.6 The benefit is thought to also be related to nitrates turning into nitric oxide, which may reduce the oxygen cost of low-intensity exercise as well as enhance tolerance to high-intensity exercise.
3. Fight Inflammation
Beets are a unique source of betaine, a nutrient that helps protects cells, proteins, and enzymes from environmental stress. It’s also known to help fight inflammation, protect internal organs, improve vascular risk factors, enhance performance and likely help prevent numerous chronic diseases.7 As reported by the World’s Healthiest Foods:8
“[Betaine’s]… presence in our diet has been associated with lower levels of several inflammatory markers, including C reactive protein, interleukin-6, and tumor necrosis factor alpha.
As a group, the anti-inflammatory molecules found in beets may eventually be shown to provide cardiovascular benefits in large-scale human studies, as well as anti-inflammatory benefits for other body systems.”
4. Anti-Cancer Properties
The powerful phytonutrients that give beets their deep crimson color may help to ward off cancer. Research has shown that beetroot extract reduced multi-organ tumor formations in various animal models when administered in drinking water, for instance, while beetroot extract is also being studied for use in treating human pancreatic, breast, and prostate cancers.9
5. Rich in Valuable Nutrients and Fiber
Beets are high in immune-boosting vitamin C, fiber, and essential minerals like potassium (essential for healthy nerve and muscle function) and manganese (which is good for your bones, liver, kidneys, and pancreas). Beets also contain the B vitamin folate, which helps reduce the risk of birth defects.
6. Detoxification Support
The betalin pigments in beets support your body’s Phase 2 detoxification process, which is when broken down toxins are bound to other molecules so they can be excreted from your body. Traditionally, beets are valued for their support in detoxification and helping to purify your blood and your liver.
Most US Sugar Beets Are Genetically Modified
It is important to know that about 95 percent of sugar beets grown in the US are genetically modified (GM). A number of organizations challenged the USDA approval of Roundup Ready sugar beets in 2008, arguing that the beets would contaminate related organic and non-GM crops such as table beets and chard.
Further, they said that the pesticide-resistant beets would increase pesticide impacts on the environment and worsen the current epidemic of pesticide-resistant superweeds. Roundup Ready crops are designed to withstand otherwise lethal topical doses of glyphosate—a broad spectrum herbicide, and the active ingredient in Monsanto's herbicide Roundup as well as hundreds of other products.
With genetic engineering, the crop survives the toxic herbicide while weeds are theoretically eliminated from the field. I say “theoretically” because the overuse of the herbicide has led to the rapid development of glyphosate-resistant superweeds. It's estimated that more than 130 types of weeds spanning 40 U.S. states are now herbicide-resistant, and the superweeds are showing no signs of stopping.
Roundup Ready crops have also been linked to serious health problems—particularly relating to fertility and birth defects—as has glyphosate itself. A lawsuit was filed against the USDA in 2009 for failure to complete an Environmental Impact Study. A federal judge agreed, temporarily suspending all planting of GM sugar beets. The suspension was later overridden by the USDA, ostensibly to prevent a sugar shortage – and the rest is history.
While the table beets most people eat are not currently genetically modified, they’re often grown in close proximity to sugar beets, and cross-pollination is known to occur. So when choosing beets to eat, opt for organic varieties whenever possible. It’s unclear whether the sugar beets being considered to make hemoglobin for humans are also the genetically modified variety… but let’s hope not, since the consequences of such an experiment are completely unknown.
Beet Greens Are Good for You, Too

No discussion of beets would be complete without beet greens, which are among the healthiest part of the plant. Besides containing important nutrients like protein, phosphorus, zinc, fiber, vitamin B6, magnesium, potassium, copper, and manganese, beet greens also supply significant

Yowbarb

« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2015, 12:20:53 PM »
Wow Linda! What a great article. I knew beets were good for the blood and had iron -
but this is really inspirational!
Thank You,
Barb Townsend

ilinda

« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2015, 07:47:16 AM »

http://www.naturalblaze.com/2015/03/this-salad-vegetable-has-5-times.html

(By visiting the link, you will see the beautiful pics as well.)

This Salad Vegetable Has 5 Times the Vitamin C as Oranges

By Jeffrey Green
Vitamin C is crucial to our health on multiple levels. It has even shown to have strong anti-cancer properties. Yet most Americans don't get enough from their diet or supplements, according to a recent study. These days it's difficult to trust off-the-self supplements. Almost all chewable vitamins now have sucralose (artificial sweetener) in them. So it's best to get as much of your essential vitamins as possible through your food. Quick: name five foods that are high in Vitamin C. Don't cheat by Googling it. Your mental list probably starts and ends with citrus fruits or dark leafy greens. Well, there's one common salad item that you may be overlooking that blows them all away. - See more at: http://www.naturalblaze.com/2015/03/this-salad-vegetable-has-5-times.html#sthash.dYbQfN2p.dpuf

I called it a vegetable in the title but it's technically a fruit. I'm talking about sweet or bell peppers. Bell peppers are super rich in Vitamin C with yellow varieties packing nearly five times the amount contained in oranges. - See more at: http://www.naturalblaze.com/2015/03/this-salad-vegetable-has-5-times.html#sthash.8cwjp3Jv.dpuf

One yellow sweet pepper contains 341 milligrams of Vitamin C, or about 569% of recommended daily intake. In contrast one orange has 69.7 milligrams, or around 116% of daily recommendations. Even green and red sweet peppers outperform oranges coming in at 220% and 349% in daily value, respectively. Peppers also have significantly less sugar than citrus fruits making them a healthier option for getting your Vitamin C. So what are you waiting for. Get some seeds and plant them this Spring. Use them in salads, salsa, fajitas, over your steaks, in your omelets and in anything else that tastes awesome. - See more at: http://www.naturalblaze.com/2015/03/this-salad-vegetable-has-5-times.html#sthash.8cwjp3Jv.dpuf

Stats source: Healthaliciousness
Salad image: National Cancer Institute
- See more at: http://www.naturalblaze.com/2015/03/this-salad-vegetable-has-5-times.html#sthash.8cwjp3Jv.dpuf

Home Study System

Home Study System
Save 30%

BUY NOW

The ideal win-win survival community library reference system offers a broad range of valuable survival skills and knowledge. Ideal those in preparedness, it provides in-depth knowledge about how to form communities and operate two-way communications.

For human needs, it also includes a low-impact energy self-healing art and an essential role for seniors in survival communities.

A special note for those of you living outside the United States, we optimized this system for the lowest possible Priority Mail costs.

4 Paperbacks and 6 DVDs

Win-Win Survival Communities Signed

Radio Free Earth Color (Color Editon) Signed

Complete Danjeon Breathing System w/6 DVDs

Survival Wellness Advocacy and the BIG WIN

BUY NOW