Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Solar Cooking & Growing Food after the storm(s)  (Read 4798 times)

jsorensens2

• Trusted Member
Solar Cooking & Growing Food after the storm(s)
« on: May 05, 2012, 11:52:28 AM »
I am new to this forum and fairly new to the CME news and what will happen.  I heard Marshall on Coast to CoastAM on 4-30-12 and what he said resonated with me.  I'm not psychic, but I have learned to listen to my body and the signals I get are telling me to pay attention.  I watched the Two Suns video on YouTube too.  Thank you for that well-done piece!  I live 45 miles north of the city of San Diego, 6 miles from the Pacific ocean.  Supposing that I survive, I have two questions.

** Will it be possible to use my solar cooker after or will the storms be so strong and continuous that it won't be possible for some time?  (I have one, but have not yet trained myself to use it.)  Figuring I can find a supply of water, I can use it to boil water when needed, as well as cook, if that will even be an option.

** Will it be possible to grow food?  I am thinking of getting stocked up on heirloom seeds.

I appreciate your time and attention to my questions!! 

Blessings to everyone!
Jane

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
Re: Solar Cooking & Growing Food after the storm(s)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 05:29:09 PM »
I am new to this forum and fairly new to the CME news and what will happen.  I heard Marshall on Coast to CoastAM on 4-30-12 and what he said resonated with me.  I'm not psychic, but I have learned to listen to my body and the signals I get are telling me to pay attention.  I watched the Two Suns video on YouTube too.  Thank you for that well-done piece!  I live 45 miles north of the city of San Diego, 6 miles from the Pacific ocean.  Supposing that I survive, I have two questions.

** Will it be possible to use my solar cooker after or will the storms be so strong and continuous that it won't be possible for some time?  (I have one, but have not yet trained myself to use it.)  Figuring I can find a supply of water, I can use it to boil water when needed, as well as cook, if that will even be an option.

** Will it be possible to grow food?  I am thinking of getting stocked up on heirloom seeds.

Blessings to everyone!
Jane

Hi Jane..and Welcome to the Town Hall!  First, I guess the best I (or probably anyone) can do, would be give you my opinion on what the possible scenarios might be, and how best to proceed.  But don't try to digest it all at once, because that would truly be entirely overwhelming!  I'm glad to hear you have a solar oven, I've still got that particular item on my "wish list".  Definitely an excellent item to have and to learn how to use.  Maybe someone else here would have a better answer to your questions on the when and how of that.  I would definitely get some seeds.  There are several posts in here regarding some excellent options on different ones, pricing and websites.  I'm making sure to have an abundant supply of seeds that are easy to grow, since conditions will probably be not very good, such as beans and zuchini for instance.  How soon we will actually be able to plant them, and how it will all turn out, is really something that can only be speculated on, which is why it's so important to also have a fairly good stockpile of canned goods, water, MRE's, etc.  There is alot of good information in the various topics here, so enjoy your quest through the information!

P.S.  Do you have a bugout plan, an escape route from where you are, to get further inland if needed?  I would think that should also be a top priority considering your location.  And again, so glad you found your way here, welcome to the Town Hall!

Mary

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 11:21:25 PM »

Blessings to everyone!
Jane

Welcome to the Town Hall, Jane.  I approved your Application last night.   :)
As far as your location, if possible you might want to get an acre or two inland and in the mountains...
About whether there will be enough sunshine to grow food, good question.
Just based upon what I have read and my belief, there could be some volcanic ash, or smoke from fires or other conditions that make it difficult to get enough sunshine...but you have a good idea getting the heirloom seeds. At some point in time, no matter what happens there will be people left to carry on and grow some food.
We have a lot of topics about food here. Linda posted about drying fruits and veges and perhaps jerky, in one of her Boards.
I have posted suggestions on indoor, underground food cultivation which could be carried on continuously.
Board: Survival Tools to Better Your Odds
Topic:  Indoor food cultivation, a good survival tool
Link:    http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=382.0 

Some ideas are sprouting, yogurt cultivation, keeping a starter of yogurt and a starter for bread, continuously going; mushroom cultivation. LED lights fruits and veges. Some people will try to have a protected little fish pond in their shelter for food.
In the same Board I started a Topic, SEEDS.
What I recommend (and I know it's not the easiest thing to do) is get at least an acre set up some kind of underground shelter, the top of which is not going to burn, with a ventilation pipe at least. 
A separate shelter which is set at least half buried and secured down, would be where you can put some domestic animals for example a few chickens or a couple of goats. Whatever a person can accomplish is better than doing nothing... that's my motto.
Well don't let it get to you or overwhelm you. We all will do what we can. We don't know for sure how bad it will be but one thing is certain, it is always a good idea to set aside provisions for the future, and start planning to live off without the normal grid and infrastructure...Members can post to one another in the Meetings Topics, located within USA Survival Boards such as USA West Coast. People can PM one another, private message then it is up to each person to create a line of communication or not.... Members can phone, skype, meet and begin networking with other people and who knows there could be some groups forming. We don't post our emails or phones, generally but this is done in PMs.
Just some ideas. It's not the easiest thing to do these things alone more safety in numbers... Have a way to hide and to protect what you have...
All The Best,
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 11:37:51 PM »
PS if for some reason there is not enough sunlight for solar for awhile it would be good to have a propane tank on the survival land, hidden so it won't get ripped off...
Campground cook stoves with a small tank attached, this would work. In the "Aftertimes" people can build outdoor ovens with stones. It would be good to have the supplies necessary for mortar and some stones or bricks ... and a stash of wood. This below looks like it would be easy...
- Yowbarb

http://fireplaceandstonecenter.com/Uploads/OutdoorOven.jpg

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/Texsport_Propane_Stoves.htm

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 06:27:12 AM »
I never thought about building my own stone oven although it's a brilliant idea.  I was thinking of getting a solar oven too, but now, I think I'll also consider a stone oven as well.

jsorensens2

• Trusted Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 03:44:38 PM »
Thanks to everyone who responded so quickly and in full!  Lots to think about here, that's for sure.  THANKS! What a great board.   :D

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!