Win-Win Survival Communities The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Radio Free Earth

Author Topic: Foods and herbs which help protect against radiation of various types  (Read 6889 times)

Yowbarb

Hello All, this article has info on herbal and food supplementation which protects against radiation. I notice this does not include Miso, which is documented, so be sure to get some of that too.
- Yowbarb

http://technorati.com/lifestyle/article/nutritional-protection-against-radiation/

Nutritional Protection Against Radiation
Author: Hector Corsi
Published: March 22, 2011 at 9:33 pm

High levels of ionizing radiation, such as those released from nuclear reactors in Japan, can lead to cancer and immune suppression.  This article will discuss nutritional strategies to prevent or mitigate the DNA damage, cancer development, and decreases in immunity that radiation can cause.

The recent release of radiation from nuclear reactors in Japan has prompted many to purchase iodine supplements to try to prevent thyroid cancer.  But that isn’t the only cancer that can be caused by radiation.  Iodine supplements, as potassium iodide, can only prevent thyroid cancers, as it blocks specific receptors on this gland.  The radioactive iodine isotopes released from the nuclear reactors are thus prevented from binding to the thyroid gland’s iodine receptors because they are filled with iodine obtained from the supplements.  You should only use these iodine supplements if medical authorities direct you to do so.  To protect the rest of the body, other supplements, nutrients and compounds are required to stop the oxidative damage caused by radiation that leads to DNA damage and eventually to cancer.

MELATONIN

Melatonin has recently been described as a strong radioprotective agent by researchers at The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio in the journal TAF Preventive Medicine Bulletin.  The authors describe this inexpensive neuroendocrine hormone’s protective effects on DNA against ionizing radiation.

Melatonin is also more efficient at protecting DNA than amifostine, an anti-radiation drug used in a clinical setting.   Long term low-dose supplementation is effective but the authors of the paper also cite research that showed that a one-time dose of 300 mg of melatonin before radiation is effective, although the optimum dosage hasn't been definitely determined. It quickly passes into the blood after ingestion, as well as to other bodily fluids.  The supplement is also reported as being safe during pregnancy and also protects against preeclampsia, a condition that is partially cause by reactive oxygen species (ROS). Although it shows beneficial effects on pregnancy, please consult your doctor if you intend to use it when pregnant. Radiation also induces ROS and melatonin is an effective antioxidant against this toxic effect.

Melatonin also protects human lymphocytes, important immune system cells, from genetic damage caused by radiation.  Don’t use it before tasks requiring concentration, as it’s usually used to induce sleep, and will cause drowsiness.

Read more:
http://technorati.com/lifestyle/article/nutritional-protection-against-radiation/#ixzz1uZVIFrJU

Pg. 2
http://technorati.com/lifestyle/article/nutritional-protection-against-radiation/page-2/

GINSENG

Research on animals has shown radioprotective effects of various ginseng formulations.   A recent study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicineusing lymphocytes extracted from humans and treated with North American Ginseng extract 90 minutes after irradiation of the lymphocytes, showed that the extract protected the immune cells from irradiation with Cesium-137. Cesium-137 is the radioactive isotope that’s being spewed out from the Japanese nuclear reactors. The extract used in the above study contained a total ginsenoside (the bioactive component) content of 11.7 percent, with Rb1 as the major ginsenoside.  Asian ginseng has also shown protective effects by the same researchers when human lymphocytes were treated with the compound before radiation.  Furthermore, ginseng extracts enhance immune function in healthy and immune-compromised humans.

CURCUMIN

Curcumin has been shown to protect normal tissues from radiation by enhancing antioxidant enzymes and quenching free radicals.  Recent research published in Radiation Research also shows that curcumin dose-dependently decreases radiation-induced lung fibrosis, and improves survival after irradiation.  Doses from 3.6 grams to 8 grams per day have been used.  This spice is hard to absorb, so use some black pepper to enhance absorption or supplements with highly bio-available curcumin. Don’t use this spice if you’re pregnant.

VITAMINS

A study published in the International Journal of Radiation Biology shows that Vitamin E, as alpha-tocopherol succinate, has been shown to protect against total-body irradiation.  Furthermore, a diet of high combined amounts of specific vitamins from food sources has been shown to protect pilots’ DNA from ionizing radiation.  Pilots are exposed to radiation every time they fly.  The best combination was vitamin E and C, beta-carotene, beta-cryptoxanthin, and lutein-zeaxanthin, (good sources are green leafy veggies, carrots, and pumpkins) as reported in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.<

This year, the British Journal of Nutrition also reported that high niacin intake from food, or lots of whole grains but low levels of red and processed meats, might confer protection from ionizing radiation.

There are several other compounds that can be used to protect against radiation, but the above nutrients are the main ones.  Always consult your doctor before you use supplements, especially if you’re pregnant.   Although no supplement can completely protect you from radiation, you can mitigate its toxic effects with judicious use of specific nutrients and hormones.

Read more: http://technorati.com/lifestyle/article/nutritional-protection-against-radiation/page-2/#ixzz1uZVfhwZl

Yowbarb

Kelp is not enough in an emergency but it is a really good idea right now AND CONTINUING FAR INTO THE FUTURE.
Kelp: This is to help the body fend off radiation at a later time.  This doesn't have the lifesaving high concentration needed for a radiation emergency...Kelp as a food is rich in iodine. That, plus the kelp capsules would help the thyroid to be stronger, and help to survive the emergency - but a person should take the 130 mg dose potassium iodide pills in a radiation emergency. INFO BELOW.
We should not discount the benefits of kelp taken now...and all potassium-rich and anti - oxidant foods (see bottom of this post)  The last article mentions miso as being powerful against radiation. Article mentions: Avocadoes, green leafy vegetables, spirulina, algae, dulse, etc. as well as miso. The Zen Monks of Hiroshima and Nagasaki consumed miso and green vegetables and other antioxidant foods daily... many of these men and their close contacts survived.
Below is one link and some quotes, about kelp.
Yowbarb Note: This person gives what she considers safe guidelines on the amt of iodine when there is NOT a nuclear emergency. PLS Note: She IS recommending kelp as a prophalaxtic measure so our thyroids are healthy already, before the emergency.
Please DO take potassium iodide in an emergency. Note from the Living Intentionally site:
http://www.living-intentionally.com/?p=459
Kelp: A Prophylactic Protocol for Radiation Emergencies
March 13, 2011 by Trane Francks

"If our thyroid’s iodine receptors are not fully bound with healthful iodine, any radioactive iodine isotopes we ingest or inhale can bind in our thyroid and cause long-term DNA damage. The result of that can be radiation sickness, cancer and death.
...I encourage you to eat kelp and plenty of it. Be creative in how you prepare it. And until you know otherwise – without doubt – keep your iodine levels sufficient to protect from long-term radiation poisoning."
"I recommend 50 g of kelp so as to cap daily iodine ingestion to  just under 1100 mcg/day.
I am well aware that this is far below the amount of KI recommended in emergency use, but if people are going to self-medicate, they need to do so at levels that are unlikely to cause harm. It’s a gamble: harm from excess iodine or excess radiation … either one is a losing proposition.
Please work with qualified medical professionals in creating a protocol. Radiation is serious business, but so is stable iodine. Don’t trade one problem for another. Be safe!"
ALSO:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hyla-cass-md/radiation-risks-and-prote_b_836363.html
Hyla Cass, M.D..

Hyla Cass M.D. is a physician practicing integrative medicine, and author.
How to Protect Yourself From Radiation

Posted: 03/16/11 01:30 PM ET
Note: Dosages may be crushed and taken mixed with milk or water. For kids, chocolate milk or raspberry syrup disguise the unpleasant taste.
Precautions
 While potassium iodide can be taken by a majority of people without any problems, it should only be used in case of a nuclear emergency. Doses in excess of the single (one time only) daily dose listed above should be taken only upon recommendation by a physician or public health authority. Patients should ask their doctor if taking quinidine, captopril, or enalopril, amiodarone, or if they are sensitive to iodine, or suffer from dermatitis herpetiformis, thyrotoxicosis or kidney problems before taking potassium iodate (or any thyroid blocker).

[ CONTINUES http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hyla-cass-md/radiation-risks-and-prote_b_836363.html ]

Nigel Beardsley

Good topic considering the state of Fukushima.

Thanks for starting this.   :)

willsorr75

Fantastic Topic, thanks for starting this....

Yowbarb

http://muza-chan.net/japan/index.php/blog/miso-radiation-treatment

Did you know...

Miso, a Radiation Treatment?

Mar 16, 2011 
Because of the recent unfortunate events, the radiation becomes more and more a concern for everybody. In the wake of these events, Anne, a friend from Canada, sent me a very, very interesting piece of advice, in the hope that it might help some people if the situation in Japan becomes more grave.
Since I grew up in a country affected by the radioactive cloud provoked by the Chernobyl disaster and I have relatives who subsequently suffered, I find this piece of information important to be known…

It is about a study published many years ago in the Japanese press, study made by the Japanese doctor Shinichiro Akizuki, who was the director of the Saint Francis Hospital from Nagasaki during World War II.
The study indicates that miso, the traditional Japanese seasoning, helps protect against radiation sickness, removing the radioactive elements from the human body and controlling the inflammations caused by radioactivity!

Doctor Akizuki experimented on rats with two radioactive isotopes, the iodine-131 and the caesium-134, elements produced in nuclear reactor accidents. When the human body is exposed to radiation, the iodine-131 is absorbed in the thyroid gland, and the caesium-134 accumulates in intestines and muscles.

The researchers from the Hiroshima University Medical Center discovered that several hours after being exposed to radiation, compared to the control group, the group of rats fed with miso were having in the blood a level of iodine-131 diminished by 50%.

In another experiment, which involved a lethal dose of radiation, over 80% of the rats from both groups died after a week, but the organs’ inflammation (typical symptom after exposure to radiation) was diminished on rats fed on miso.

After the atomic bombing of Nagasaki (August 9 1945), doctor Akizuki fed his patients and hospital workers with brown rice, miso, vegetables and seaweed and seemingly there are records attesting that the results were very encouraging…

Miso is produced by fermenting rice, barley and soybeans with salt and a fungus called kōjikin. The most frequent use of miso is the miso soup, misoshiru 「味噌汁」, which comes in many flavors (and all of them are delicious).

You can find more information about miso on this subject at www.macrobiotic.org/Miso.htm 

Sunnybug

This is very useful info - Thanks Barb!  :D

Survival101

Also, Thanks for the good article, Barb...

I think, I've also heard that Cilantro (Coriander herb) is helpful against radiation and which we all can have available easily. In addition to eating a lot of Cilantro, I try to keep all my 'people' on an appropriate dose of Nascent Iodine which is a very consumable Iodine. Nascent means that it's in it's atomic form, rather than it's molecular. The value to you is that the 'charge' of the Iodine is held by the atom until it is diluted with water, which activates it and releases it over a 2-3 hour period, thereby making it very assimilable. Just another way to keep our energy optimum and be easier to protect with Potassium Iodide, if necessary...

An easy way to check to see if you are a little deplete in Iodine, is to 'paint' a small circle about the size of a half-dollar or milk jug cap on your body (a fatty area) with the applicator of some Tincture of Iodine (First-Aid for cuts, etc.). Now, watch the area and see how much time passes before it disappears, hopefully you have it visible close to 24 hours. If you don't, you need to feed your thyroid and protect yourself now! What has happened is your thyroid is so hungry and deplete you just 'inhaled' the sample of Iodine. I've had some clients that have had it 'dissolve/absorb' in an hour or less, so it's good info to know, especially in these days.

willsorr75

Survival101, awesome idea. I'll definitely try that this weekend. I'm amaze every time I'm on the TH with the vast knowledge some of you have about stuff like this... I have my strong points, but this isn't one of them and I depend on you all to help me... Thanks again everyone for helping me understand this better....

Will

willsorr75

http://muza-chan.net/japan/index.php/blog/miso-radiation-treatment

Did you know...

Miso, a Radiation Treatment?

Mar 16, 2011 
Because of the recent unfortunate events, the radiation becomes more and more a concern for everybody. In the wake of these events, Anne, a friend from Canada, sent me a very, very interesting piece of advice, in the hope that it might help some people if the situation in Japan becomes more grave.
Since I grew up in a country affected by the radioactive cloud provoked by the Chernobyl disaster and I have relatives who subsequently suffered, I find this piece of information important to be known…

It is about a study published many years ago in the Japanese press, study made by the Japanese doctor Shinichiro Akizuki, who was the director of the Saint Francis Hospital from Nagasaki during World War II.
The study indicates that miso, the traditional Japanese seasoning, helps protect against radiation sickness, removing the radioactive elements from the human body and controlling the inflammations caused by radioactivity!

Doctor Akizuki experimented on rats with two radioactive isotopes, the iodine-131 and the caesium-134, elements produced in nuclear reactor accidents. When the human body is exposed to radiation, the iodine-131 is absorbed in the thyroid gland, and the caesium-134 accumulates in intestines and muscles.

The researchers from the Hiroshima University Medical Center discovered that several hours after being exposed to radiation, compared to the control group, the group of rats fed with miso were having in the blood a level of iodine-131 diminished by 50%.

In another experiment, which involved a lethal dose of radiation, over 80% of the rats from both groups died after a week, but the organs’ inflammation (typical symptom after exposure to radiation) was diminished on rats fed on miso.

After the atomic bombing of Nagasaki (August 9 1945), doctor Akizuki fed his patients and hospital workers with brown rice, miso, vegetables and seaweed and seemingly there are records attesting that the results were very encouraging…

Miso is produced by fermenting rice, barley and soybeans with salt and a fungus called kōjikin. The most frequent use of miso is the miso soup, misoshiru 「味噌汁」, which comes in many flavors (and all of them are delicious).

You can find more information about miso on this subject at www.macrobiotic.org/Miso.htm

That soup looks really good!!!!

Nigel Beardsley

That soup does look good. I am deffo gonna be trying to make that.   :)

Yowbarb

That soup does look good. I am deffo gonna be trying to make that.   :)

Nigel maybe you can purchase that in your area.
Maybe a big supermarket?
I would imagine a lot of the local foods there are very healing, too.
I feel there is probably a whole wealth of info there...
Thanks,
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

Also, Thanks for the good article, Barb...

I think, I've also heard that Cilantro (Coriander herb) is helpful against radiation and which we all can have available easily. In addition to eating a lot of Cilantro, I try to keep all my 'people' on an appropriate dose of Nascent Iodine which is a very consumable Iodine. Nascent means that it's in it's atomic form, rather than it's molecular. The value to you is that the 'charge' of the Iodine is held by the atom until it is diluted with water, which activates it and releases it over a 2-3 hour period, thereby making it very assimilable. Just another way to keep our energy optimum and be easier to protect with Potassium Iodide, if necessary...

An easy way to check to see if you are a little deplete in Iodine, is to 'paint' a small circle about the size of a half-dollar or milk jug cap on your body (a fatty area) with the applicator of some Tincture of Iodine (First-Aid for cuts, etc.). Now, watch the area and see how much time passes before it disappears, hopefully you have it visible close to 24 hours. If you don't, you need to feed your thyroid and protect yourself now! What has happened is your thyroid is so hungry and deplete you just 'inhaled' the sample of Iodine. I've had some clients that have had it 'dissolve/absorb' in an hour or less, so it's good info to know, especially in these days.

:) Survival101, and also Nigel, Will and Sunnybug, I hope the article helps...
Survival101 thanks for info on cilantro. I've got some in my fridge, in danger of wilting... maybe I can add it to the morning salad...
Thanks, All,
Yowbarb

Yowbarb

An easy way to check to see if you are a little deplete in Iodine, is to 'paint' a small circle about the size of a half-dollar or milk jug cap on your body (a fatty area) with the applicator of some Tincture of Iodine (First-Aid for cuts, etc.). Now, watch the area and see how much time passes before it disappears, hopefully you have it visible close to 24 hours. If you don't, you need to feed your thyroid and protect yourself now! What has happened is your thyroid is so hungry and deplete you just 'inhaled' the sample of Iodine. I've had some clients that have had it 'dissolve/absorb' in an hour or less, so it's good info to know, especially in these days.[/color]

Survival101, PS this is really good info to have!
Thanks,
Yowbarb

ilinda

Re: Foods and herbs which help protect against radiation of various types
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 07:51:30 AM »

http://www.naturalblaze.com/2015/03/this-salad-vegetable-has-5-times.html

This article ties in with the initial post here by Yowbarb, May 11, 2012, which touches on vitamins E & C in combination.  I have also read that some doctors recommend dosing with vitamin C just prior to receiving x-rays, so my own 2 cents says instead of eating oranges, eat a few peppers for a LOT of natural vitamin C, the best kind. )

This Salad Vegetable Has 5 Times the Vitamin C as Oranges

By Jeffrey Green
 Vitamin C is crucial to our health on multiple levels. It has even shown to have strong anti-cancer properties. Yet most Americans don't get enough from their diet or supplements, according to a recent study. These days it's difficult to trust off-the-self supplements. Almost all chewable vitamins now have sucralose (artificial sweetener) in them. So it's best to get as much of your essential vitamins as possible through your food. Quick: name five foods that are high in Vitamin C. Don't cheat by Googling it. Your mental list probably starts and ends with citrus fruits or dark leafy greens. Well, there's one common salad item that you may be overlooking that blows them all away. - See more at: http://www.naturalblaze.com/2015/03/this-salad-vegetable-has-5-times.html#sthash.dYbQfN2p.dpuf

I called it a vegetable in the title but it's technically a fruit. I'm talking about sweet or bell peppers. Bell peppers are super rich in Vitamin C with yellow varieties packing nearly five times the amount contained in oranges. - See more at: http://www.naturalblaze.com/2015/03/this-salad-vegetable-has-5-times.html#sthash.8cwjp3Jv.dpuf

One yellow sweet pepper contains 341 milligrams of Vitamin C, or about 569% of recommended daily intake. In contrast one orange has 69.7 milligrams, or around 116% of daily recommendations. Even green and red sweet peppers outperform oranges coming in at 220% and 349% in daily value, respectively. Peppers also have significantly less sugar than citrus fruits making them a healthier option for getting your Vitamin C. So what are you waiting for. Get some seeds and plant them this Spring. Use them in salads, salsa, fajitas, over your steaks, in your omelets and in anything else that tastes awesome. - See more at: http://www.naturalblaze.com/2015/03/this-salad-vegetable-has-5-times.html#sthash.8cwjp3Jv.dpuf

Stats source: Healthaliciousness
Salad image: National Cancer Institute
- See more at: http://www.naturalblaze.com/2015/03/this-salad-vegetable-has-5-times.html#sthash.8cwjp3Jv.dpuf

Home Study System

Home Study System
Save 30%

BUY NOW

The ideal win-win survival community library reference system offers a broad range of valuable survival skills and knowledge. Ideal those in preparedness, it provides in-depth knowledge about how to form communities and operate two-way communications.

For human needs, it also includes a low-impact energy self-healing art and an essential role for seniors in survival communities.

A special note for those of you living outside the United States, we optimized this system for the lowest possible Priority Mail costs.

4 Paperbacks and 6 DVDs

Win-Win Survival Communities Signed

Radio Free Earth Color (Color Editon) Signed

Complete Danjeon Breathing System w/6 DVDs

Survival Wellness Advocacy and the BIG WIN

BUY NOW