Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Acceptance and rejection  (Read 14404 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Acceptance and rejection
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 11:09:32 PM »
I like that remark. Was the "Doomer" a "Boomer" ?
- Yowbarb

I think he was Barb ;D

Linda

Linda,
He sounds like a dear man and a survivor hopefully there are plenty like him out there...
 :)

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 12:51:48 PM »
Linda I think we should store as much as possible, I think we will need two gallons per person per day for up to five years for three people that is 10,950 gallons that takes up a lot of space.
buy a charcoal based water purifier as then all you need to do is find water, and burn wood to char... or learn how to collect dew from sheets of plastic, they can be rolled up and brough with you if your nomadic and near every night we get a dew point
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 04:56:10 PM »
Deathanyl thanks for that information, good to know. It is not feasible to store that many gallons of water, but having a way to filter is much better.

Linda
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 07:53:52 PM »
During my time in the Marines, we were taught to improvise and make due with nothing. This became essential for survival in the jungles of Vietnam and Thailand. It is kinda funny, what you will consider a luxury, when you have very little. Once we had tent constructed, we showered when it rained, by being under the sides of the tent. However, if you weren't in a place you could do it, you had no way to wash. I traded an AK47 to a helicopter crewman that made supply runs for us. He brought me a hand pumped pressure fire extinguisher. We built a trough to catch the rain from the tent and could fill the fire extinguisher with water from the ytrough and shower any time of day or nite. Say what you may about the Marines, but we like to stay clean.(our bodies)

Road Warrior

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 06:56:03 PM »
I grew up on a trapline in the bush in the Yukon without running water or electricity , went to the nearest town some 250 miles from camp to buy groceries etc .. we did that 4 times a year :)

my wife grew up on a farm in Saskatchewan ..so now we have been married for 13 years and have 4 kids ..ages 3,7, 10 and 13 ..we home school and do everything our selves ..

we are both on the same page ..I do the research she goes yup uh huh ..and away we go 

Lori

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 04:22:19 AM »
Its the opposite for me.  My husband does Hunh, Yup. and Oh.  And sometimes he just ignores me.   :P

Linda

• Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 05:10:40 AM »
Same for me Lori! ::) I do a lot of research and share the info with him.  Road Warrior your in a good place, you are already prepared and living off the main grid or at least have the means to and have a partner that's on the same page as you. When you have total cooperation between spouses it does make for a much smoother road to get prepared. I liked the picture of your wood burner with the delicious loaves of bread cooling on the rack in one of the other posts.

Linda
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 05:15:58 AM by Linda »
Linda :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 03:56:17 PM »
Road warrior nice background hope that far north fairs well, i am in northern Ont and have friends in Northren Albt, which ever is closest if I'm on foot i guess  ;D
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 06:58:54 PM »
Road Warrior, I would pit your survival skills against anybody's. You have my admiration. You should fare well. Your family is very fortunate, to be in that situation, with you.  ed

kayelless

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 08:10:43 AM »
I'm new here, and one of the reasons I'm here is because I am working my way through bringing my husband into an awareness of what's going on in the world. He is a good man, and has a good work ethic, which, unfortunately, means he looks at his job and our current way of life, including health benefits, as "safe" and predictable. He thinks we need to save for retirement -- I think we could use the cash to prepare. He really can't imagine my concerns having any truth, because that means he has to give up that safety. And I can't expect that to be easy for him. It took me years to really take all this seriously, although I started feeling, intuitively, that something was coming more than twenty years ago.

So I have started recently just moving forward, knowing that he will come along when the time is right. And little by little, its working. I don't frame it in terms of OHMYGODWE'REGOINGTODIE with him, I frame it in terms of actually moving to the house we bought four years ago (I picked it out) and "fixing it up" (which to me means making it self-sufficient and safe) so we can live comfortably and inexpensively. I work the land we'll need to grow food, I maintain the road in and the surrounding areas (which is incredible exercise!) and I plan on spending a specific sum of money every month to buy and store what we'll need.

I am moving to the new house half-time in late October. He will stay on at his job for another six months at our current location, 500 miles from the house, and I'll bounce back and forth to encourage him and do what needs to be done while keeping everything low-key. He is planning on taking that six months to grow a consultancy in his field on the net so he can "safely" leave his Fortune 100 company. Note -- one of the ways I'm encouraging him is to tell him what I cook while I'm up there -- I don't cook here and a home cooked meal is a good thing ;)

Its interesting, now that I'm committed to the plan, I've found out most of my neighbors on the mountain are doing the same thing and feeling the way I do. I believe we will become a community, and we'll need each other.

Its all falling into place, not as fast as I'd like.. my husband's complacency makes me truly sad sometimes.. but at the pace that is possible.

I watched Marshall's YouTube video on the 5 stages of catastrophism, and really felt like someone out there "got me".. and here I am. Thanks for being here.

Kyle

noproblemo2

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2010, 09:14:13 AM »
Kyle, welcome. Everyone has to come to terms in their own way, we cannot force them to see this until they are ready. You are doing the right thing in having your escape house and becoming self-sufficient and in time DH will understand why you have done so.

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2010, 04:25:24 PM »
Many spouses and loved ones will not make it due to there refusal to see it, don't let that slow you I always say, part of the cull will be those who were not independent enough, and aware to listen!!!!

I just hope for all who tried and tried to be that voice of warning they do not hold too much grief in there hearts after for those who didn't make it. You CAN"T force someone to wake up, but neither should you deny what is in your heart and prepare.

And in some cases there will be other survivors to rebuild with, and depression will be fatal in the time after, if your not on your game.... :'(

kayelless

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2010, 09:00:42 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, and for the reminder that I need to temper my expectations that my most loved ones will come along on this adventure at anything other than their own pace. I know I can only move forward and let them see me doing so.. and they'll make their own decisions in their own way. I'm comfortable with that now -- it used to really make me depressed that I was so powerless in light of all these things I've learned. But now.. there's a spirituality and an ease I have with it all. Fighting it uses energy I don't want to give away.

Thanks again,
Kyle

noproblemo2

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2010, 09:21:11 AM »
Kyle, just bear in mind that you are now their tower and in planning for them you are doing your best to ensure their survivl also. Stay strong as we know this will not be easy for any of us. Our advantage is that we are preparing.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 11:36:46 AM »
Many spouses and loved ones will not make it due to there refusal to see it, don't let that slow you I always say, part of the cull will be those who were not independent enough, and aware to listen!!!!

I just hope for all who tried and tried to be that voice of warning they do not hold too much grief in there hearts after for those who didn't make it. You CAN"T force someone to wake up, but neither should you deny what is in your heart and prepare.

And in some cases there will be other survivors to rebuild with, and depression will be fatal in the time after, if your not on your game.... :'(

Hello there Deathanyl it's funny you should post this... I agree. Funny not exactly the right word. Just last night I was briefly thinking about the end of the 2012 movie - and how hopeful and exhilarated the survivors were as they looked out over the beautiful new African landscape, and prepared to disembark... I wasn't dwelling on the movie but I had a sudden flash:  The fact of having survived all that - and looking forward to a future - that in many cases will outweigh the feelings of loss and  depression... That said, I mean I know it would be extremely tough to lose a spouse or worse yet, offspring. The thought did occur to me. Personally if I lost offspring I would probably carry that around the rest of my life ... like a knife stuck in my head - I would try to be busy and be useful...
Thanks for your thoughts,
All The Best,
Yowbarb
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 11:39:20 AM by Yowbarb »

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!