Win-Win Survival Communities The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Radio Free Earth

Author Topic: Teaching your children an emergency plan  (Read 4917 times)

Linda

Teaching your children an emergency plan
« on: April 19, 2010, 01:02:40 PM »

This link helps with teaching your children emergency plans.  I don't have small children, but it still is a way to present to your adult children as well that they need to be prepared.

http://www.survival-goods.com/Teaching_Kids_about_Emergencies_s/177.htm

Linda

Dania22

Re: Teaching your children an emergency plan
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 04:14:18 PM »
We have a plan....(the twins are now 8 and the oldest 13) and we go through it periodically. But we all know it's said: Wanna hear God laugh, tell Him "your" plans!   Come what may, we're going HOME either which way, amen?  :)

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 12:48:04 PM »
Also making a sort of game out of it, practicing the plan over several times, and having them draw or color pictures about the plan and even making a cute poster for the refrigerator are all good ways to help them remember what to do.  Remember all the drills in school where we lined up and marched outside?  And the practice of crawling under our desks?  I can remember when we had the Cuban crisis, I was a young adult and I was pretty frightened about possibly being bombed by Castro. (I lived in California at the time)  So it is important to educate, but to do it in a manner that does not overly frighten youngsters.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 07:08:19 AM »
Also making a sort of game out of it, practicing the plan over several times, and having them draw or color pictures about the plan and even making a cute poster for the refrigerator are all good ways to help them remember what to do.  Remember all the drills in school where we lined up and marched outside?  And the practice of crawling under our desks?  I can remember when we had the Cuban crisis, I was a young adult and I was pretty frightened about possibly being bombed by Castro. (I lived in California at the time)  So it is important to educate, but to do it in a manner that does not overly frighten youngsters.

Really good ideas, Endtimesgal!
I remember the Cuban missile crisis vividly. I was going to a community college at the time, also in California...
- Yowbarb

Inaruti

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 06:57:30 PM »
I would like to bump this as I feel that it is essential to revisit!!

Some additional suggestions:

Talk with your little ones about meeting places (even within the home) in the event of an emergency. If you live in a multilevel home, think of access to the nearest exit (ie. does the basement have a cellar door?)

Keep tabs on your bugout bags- don't forget an activity book w/pencil, a duplicate of their favorite stuffy, pack of playing cards! 

This is not a bad time to include a whistle to their wardrobe, either pinned to their clothing or wear as a necklace. In fact, this may not be a bad idea for all family members.

**This is important** start weening them from the electronics- NOW! Start slowly with a "no screen time Saturday" and work your way up, make it as if it were a fun challenge and reward them (with something like a movie of their choice night, or a dinner of their choice night.)

Hope this helps!

Let's keep the list going- what would you add?

Inaruti
'Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye.' -Miyamoto Musashi

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 07:03:18 PM »
Great ideas even for teens and young adult children!

Inaruti

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 08:00:11 PM »
Great ideas even for teens and young adult children!

Thank you and yes!

Inaruti

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 10:20:23 AM »
Inaruti, thanks so much for bringing this Topic to life again. :)
Great ideas,
Barb T.

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 06:17:21 PM »

**This is important** start weening them from the electronics- NOW! Start slowly with a "no screen time Saturday" and work your way up, make it as if it were a fun challenge and reward them (with something like a movie of their choice night, or a dinner of their choice night.)

Let's keep the list going- what would you add?

Inaruti
Excellent idea, Inaruti, and it might be good for all ages to try the challenge. 

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 06:48:27 PM »
When we get past the busy planting season, I'd like to spend some time exploring the many amazing low-tech board games that have come out since the old days of just Monopoly, Battleship, Clue, etc.  They might make good Christmas or birthday gifts.  Somewhere Soc had begun a list of games worth collecting, and perhaps we should dig that thread back up too!  :)

Inaruti

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 07:25:21 PM »
Inaruti, thanks so much for bringing this Topic to life again. :)
Great ideas,
Barb T.

Thank you Barb! I feel it is so important especially now...

Inaruti

Inaruti

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 07:30:10 PM »
When we get past the busy planting season, I'd like to spend some time exploring the many amazing low-tech board games that have come out since the old days of just Monopoly, Battleship, Clue, etc.  They might make good Christmas or birthday gifts.  Somewhere Soc had begun a list of games worth collecting, and perhaps we should dig that thread back up too!  :)

Absolutely! I think that is a great idea, I think there are some old fashioned game shops still left around where I live that I may check out :D

Inaruti

Home Study System

Home Study System
Save 30%

BUY NOW

The ideal win-win survival community library reference system offers a broad range of valuable survival skills and knowledge. Ideal those in preparedness, it provides in-depth knowledge about how to form communities and operate two-way communications.

For human needs, it also includes a low-impact energy self-healing art and an essential role for seniors in survival communities.

A special note for those of you living outside the United States, we optimized this system for the lowest possible Priority Mail costs.

4 Paperbacks and 6 DVDs

Win-Win Survival Communities Signed

Radio Free Earth Color (Color Editon) Signed

Complete Danjeon Breathing System w/6 DVDs

Survival Wellness Advocacy and the BIG WIN

BUY NOW