Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: Good Fats Bad Fats  (Read 4057 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Good Fats Bad Fats
« on: October 25, 2011, 06:15:14 AM »
Sharing some ideas here on good fats, bad fats. If it's a situation of stark survival with kids to feed, eat whatever you do have. -  Yowbarb
http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_fats.htm

Monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats are known as the “good fats” because they are good for your heart, your cholesterol, and your overall health.

Myths and facts about fats
Myth: All fats are equal—and equally bad for you.
Fact: Saturated fats and trans fats are bad for you because they raise your cholesterol and increase your risk for heart disease. But monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats are good for you, lowering cholesterol and reducing your risk of heart disease.
Myth: Lowering the amount of fat you eat is what matters the most.
Fact: The mix of fats that you eat, rather than the total amount in your diet, is what matters most when it comes to your cholesterol and health. The key is to eat more good fats and less bad fats.
Myth: Fat-free means healthy.
Fact: A “fat-free” label doesn’t mean you can eat all you want without consequences to your waistline. Many fat-free foods are high in sugar, refined carbohydrates, and calories.
Myth: Eating a low-fat diet is the key to weight loss.
Fact: The obesity rates for Americans have doubled in the last 20 years, coinciding with the low-fat revolution. Cutting calories is the key to weight loss, and since fats are filling, they can help curb overeating.
Types of dietary fat: Good fats vs. bad fats
To understand good and bad fats, you need to know the names of the players and some information about them. There are four major types of fats:
•   monounsaturated fats
•   polyunsaturated fats
•   saturated fats
•   trans fats
Monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats are known as the “good fats” because they are good for your heart, your cholesterol, and your overall health.

GOOD FATS
Monounsaturated fat   Polyunsaturated fat
•   Olive oil
•   Canola oil
•   Sunflower oil
•   Peanut oil
•   Sesame oil
•   Avocados
•   Olives
•   Nuts (almonds, peanuts, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, pecans, cashews)
•   Peanut butter   •   Soybean oil
•   Corn oil
•   Safflower oil
•   Walnuts
•   Sunflower, sesame, and pumpkin seeds
Flaxseed
•   Fatty fish (salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring, trout, sardines)
•   Soymilk
•   Tofu
Saturated fats and trans fats are known as the “bad fats” because they increase your risk of disease and elevate cholesterol.
Appearance-wise, saturated fats and trans fats tend to be solid at room temperature (think of butter or traditional stick margarine), while monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats tend to be liquid (think of olive or corn oil).

Images: Some good fats such as avocados and almond butter, olive oil.

Bad fats such as beef fat.
- Yowbarb

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/06/beef-fat-spill-houston-ship-channel_n_805349.html

Massive Beef Fat Spill Clogs Houston Ship Channel (PHOTOS)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Good Fats Bad Fats
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 07:00:41 AM »
The fat in chicken meat is mostly MONOUNSATURATED.

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/culinaryreference/a/fattable.htm
Chicken Fat
Fat (1 Tbsp)

Saturated-...................................................3.8

(grams) Mono.unsaturated .........................5.7

(grams) Poly-
unsaturated (grams) ..................................2.6

Trans-fat (grams).........................................0.0

This ancient Jewish food, potato knish, contains chicken fat.
Schmaltz is chicken fat which will last a couple of weeks in the refrigerator used in cooking.I  am not saying this couldn't be fattening if too much is eaten, but at least this is mainly a "good fat" food. Schmaltz can substitute for butter.
If you don't have a butcher in the Aftertime, who can sell you chicken fat ...cook a couple of chickens in a big pot. Let it all cool, and you will see the fat has risen to the top. You should be able to skim that off and use it in a schmaltz recipe. 
-   Yowbarb

============================================================
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Schmaltz 
Schmaltz
Schmaltz, or rendered chicken fat, can be used to fry potatoes, sauté vegetables,
make a roux, or flavor pâtés and savory mousses.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 07:30:13 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 08:06:26 AM »
Olive oil - prodution, use since ancient times, nutritional value, etc. - Yowbarb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_oil   
.........................................................................................
Yowbarb Note: This is a fascinating article all about uses for olive oil.
PLS Note: The one for children's ears. The olive oil should be warmed and tested on the inside of your elbow like you do with milk from a baby bottle before you give it to the baby. Test the temp. Also use small amount. It does work! I personally have not tried all these uses, so just try it and see.
=============================================================
http://www.curbly.com/chrisjob/posts/1799-25-alternative-uses-for-olive-oil#jump
 (As a tip, Consumer Reports has rated Goya brand extra virgin olive oil [from Spain] as the best general purpose olive oil, and as their best buy. I whole-healthy-heartedly concur.)
 - Chrisjob 

25 Alternative Uses for Olive Oil
By: Chrisjob

"Nutritionists will continue to tout olive oil for its high content of healthful, monounsaturated fats, like oleic acid, and polyphenols. The fruit oil practically propelled the entire Western world in antiquity, and is mentioned in nearly every sacred text this side of the Tigris and Euphrates. As a cooking fat, it’s high up on the heart-smart  list…which works out, ‘cause it tastes darn good."

http://www.curbly.com/chrisjob/posts/1799-25-alternative-uses-for-olive-oil#jump
Olive oil also has plenty of uses around your home, outside of the sauté pan. There’s no need to waste your expensive Greek or Spanish Extra Virgin for these tasks, just grab a bottle of inexpensive, domestic olive oil for around-the-house use. You can cut down on excess oil by investing in a refillable spray can, such as the Misto.

1. Shave. Olive oil can provide a safe and natural lubricant for a close shave. Rub in an extra teaspoon after washing your body or face once finished.
2. Wood Furniture Polish. Wipe with a teaspoon of olive oil and a soft rag. Add a bit of vinegar of citrus juice to bulk up the cleaning power, and add a fresh scent.

3. Fingernails. Use a bit of olive oil to moisturize cuticles, or mix oil and water and soak your hands before a manicure.

4. Lubricate Measuring Cups and Spoons. Rub or spray olive oil on your measuring tools for easy clean-up of sticky substances like honey, grain mustards, and sugar syrups,

5. Control hair frizz. Comb a bit of olive oil through dry hair to tame the frizz and flyaways on humid days or in the winter.

6. Free a stuck zipper. Use a cotton swab to apply olive oil to the teeth of a zipper, then gently ease the tab down.

7. Care for your kitty. Add a teaspoon of olive oil to your cat’s food to help prevent hairballs, and provide a shiny coat.

8.  DIY Lip balm. Mix olive oil and melted beeswax in a 1:1 ratio, with an essential oil for fragrance, and say goodbye to dry and chapped lips.

9. Stop Snoring. Take a sip of olive oil before heading to bed. It might lubricate your throat muscles, and stop yourself, or your partner, from snoring.

10. Shine stainless steel and brass. Rub a bit of olive oil on a clean rag to prevent streaks, corrosion, and tarnish.

11. Exfoliate your face and hands. Rub your skin with olive oil, then scrub with sugar or coarse salt, and rinse.

12. As you bathe. Add a few tablespoons of olive oil to your running bath water. You’ll be amazed when you towel off.

13. Remove makeup. Dab a bit under your eyes, on your cheeks and forehead, then wipe with a damp cloth.

14. Cure an earache. Very carefully, use a cotton swab to apply olive oil to the outside ear cavity to help with earaches and excess wax.

15. Remove paint from your skin. Rub on olive oil onto messy hand and arms (or faces) and allow the oil to soak into the skin for five minutes, then rinse with soap and water.

16. Treat lice. Apply olive oil to your youngster’s hair, and leave on for at least 40 minutes. Shampoo twice, then apply a preventative.

17. Stop a throat tickle. Take a sip of olive oil to stop the itchy flicker that is making you cough.

18. Fix a squeaky door. Use a rag or cotton swab to apply olive oil to the top of a problematic hinge in your home or automobile.

19. Shoe polish. Rub down your shoes with just a spray of olive oil to maintain their shine.

20. Personal Lubricant. It works…

21. Soften your skin. Rub olive oil daily on notoriously dry areas, such as your feet or elbows, especially after a shower, shaving, or waxing.

22. Easy clean up of garden tools. Spritz some olive oil on your tools to cut down on dirt buildup. Read more here!

23. Condition leather. Rub olive oil into worn leather, such as a baseball glove, and let set for 30 minutes, then wipe away any excess.

24. As a hair tonic. Comb some olive oil through your hair for the vintage look of pomade without the build-up, or add a bit to wet hair for grungy, but clean, look.

25. Cure diaper rash. Gently wipe on olive oil to your baby’s bottom to help with the irritation of diaper rash.

[Images from howstuffworks.com; patternsolutions.net; allclad.com; mn12performance.com]

Yowbarb Note:  BULK OLIVE OIL - Will add it to the survival list begun by Susan.
Just one source randomly chosen:
==============================================================
Olive Oil - Pure 18KG (Pail)   [Note: 39.69 pounds]
Item Number: S1360-P
$103.32
Bulk Olive Oil-Pure, characterized by a high level of oleic acid, is a popular oil derived from the fruit of the olive tree. Uses are universal ranging from culinary to cosmetics. The appearance of Olive Oil-Pure is a golden yellow color with a bland odor and taste.

http://www.bulknaturaloils.com/    Jedwards International bulk natural oils

http://www.bulknaturaloils.com/Products/15828-bulk-pure-olive-oil.aspx
1 kg in...    is equal to approximately  2.205 pounds
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 06:18:29 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 06:10:38 AM »
Thank you for clarifying this topic.

"Clarifying," as in clarified butter, he he. Clarified butter, also known in India as Ghee, some call it ghi. Wonderful stuff. You can put it on your skin as well as your vegetables. Very nourishing.
When it is heated on the stove and you skim off the bubbling top layer, that is the clarified butter. The part that has turned black suddenly and is smoking in the pot - that is the part of the fat no one needs.
Pioneer women used to make clarified butter. I imagine it kept a lot longer in the days when there were no electric refrigerators.
Anyway clarified butter, ghi are fairly good fats...

Anna Maria's Open Kitchen site 
How to make clarified butter
http://annamariavolpi.blogspot.com/2011/05/how-to-make-clarified-butter.html 

Man making ghee, which is anhydrous butter often prepared in large quantities; it is commonly mixed with the milk fat of the water-buffalo. The full name is usli ghee, and the spelling ghi is sometimes used, or in sanskrit ghrta.
Jaipur,Rajasthan,India
Source:     http://www.photostocksource.com/index.php
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 06:15:59 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 06:18:04 AM »
BTW ghi tastes really delicious.
I met a lady in a health food store who told me I look too pale. She told me to get the ghi and eat it and also to put it on my skin to help attract nutrients  to my skin and protect it. She said I can even put it on my little girl. I had never heard of ghi but I bought some and I tried it and let daughter run around in the sun; she had the most beautiful tan...
That was 1972 so we spent a whole lot more time in the sun than we do now...
I looked a bit healthier after starting to eat ghi and put it on my skin.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 06:19:44 AM by Yowbarb »

Sunnybug

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 07:36:45 AM »
Haven't had ghee in years - should get some! (or make it).
Something our family has been doing for years is a mix of one part olive oil and one part butter - we call it "smart butter" but I don't think we came up with the name. We just put it in a dish with a lid in the frig, it is even pretty good as a spread on bread or toast and great for cooking.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 07:51:07 AM »
Haven't had ghee in years - should get some! (or make it).
Something our family has been doing for years is a mix of one part olive oil and one part butter - we call it "smart butter" but I don't think we came up with the name. We just put it in a dish with a lid in the frig, it is even pretty good as a spread on bread or toast and great for cooking.

That is really delicious! My parents used to do that. I stayed with them quite a bit helping out and I used to mix it up for them. Some olive oils taste better than others... what they had was always good.
As far as the ghee - I need to get some more now too. Been a long time since I bought some..
It is so good on warm essene bread (we used to get frozen loaves in big health food stores.) We would thaw it, slice it and gently heat it in the oven and have it with ghee or cream cheese. The ghee is really good on vegetables and grains.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 10:11:38 AM »
Who here has tried drizzling olive oil on bread or vegetables or grains? Yumm.
Also Yumm: Ghee.
I have been told it is good to have some of the good fat every meal.
Of course not necessary if it is a dairy meal or a separate fruit meal...
Also been told a combination of fats is good.
Used to be standard for Michael and I to use both olive oil and ghee in moderation
with our vegetables and grains...
At the time I found that my stomach was flattening down...the change is fats and also the
yoga were working really fast on me...
I didn't even have to try so hard...he was there with me helping me be
consistent which really helped...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 10:13:19 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 03:01:28 PM »
Since that last post in 2011, I have added olive oil as a daily part of my diet. Either olive oil on grains or salad - OR - sesame oil to sautee vegetables in (for miso soup.)
Also been buying the ghee (ghi) at a health food store. I also like to use that to sautee the veges...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:23:12 PM by Yowbarb »

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY NOW

In a post-global disaster world, predators and tyrants will have the best two-way radios, and they'll use them to surveil you at a comfortable distance.

What will you have? Signal flares and red bandannas?

If so, when you least expect it, the predators and tyrants will come to take a spoil and they will torture, rape, and kill without mercy.

This is why Radio Free Earth authors Marshall Masters and Duane W. Brayton have an urgent message for everyone with a serious interest in preparedness. That being, analog RF (radio frequency) is the heartbeat of freedom. Accept no substitutes.

Watch our free videos to learn how to stay safe and free with an affordable strategy for two way communication, both near and far.

Welcome to Radio
Free Earth

Why Radio
Free Earth

Post-Disaster
Communications

Citizens Band Radios
for Survival

BUY NOW