Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: Safety and security - some miscellaneous tips  (Read 31807 times)

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Safety and security - some miscellaneous tips
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2019, 12:45:49 PM »
Wikipedia keeps an updated list of fatal snake bites in the U.S., which the boys and I read aloud together this morning. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_snake_bites_in_the_United_States

We learned some surprising tidbits from it:

* A sizeable number of fatal snakebites in the Southeastern U.S. happen to parishioners of all ages who participate in an Appalachian religious denomination which advocates snake-handling as an act of faith.  Unfortunately, they simultaneously shun medical care, as another act of faith.  Also unfortunately, some of those who received fatal wounds were young people, and one hopes they were not coerced into handling snakes due to familial or congregational pressure. 

No offense intended to anyone belonging to that mountain sect.

*One fatal snakebite apparently occurred when someone simply got in his car to drive it - perhaps a door or window had been left open in a rural area and the snake had climbed in and hidden itself until it struck the driver of the vehicle.  Ironically, the actual bite in that instance didn't occur until the car was parked in the paved parking lot at a Lowe's building supply store.

*Some of the fatal snakebites occurred when someone was either wading or swimming in streams or wetlands.

*One deadly incident occurred when someone stepped down from a ladder, not knowing that a snake was waiting at the bottom because he was facing forward toward the structure that the ladder was leaning upon, as would be the normal way of mounting and dismounting a ladder.

*One preschooler died planting watermelon seeds in the family garden.  Not sure how well-kempt the land around the garden was.  The snake that killed the child was as thin as a pencil.

*Several other toddlers were killed while just playing in their own yards.

*One woman was fatally bitten while harvesting beans in her garden.

*One person was fatally wounded while stopping beside the road to relieve himself behind a bush.

*Fishers and campers have been bitten beside or at close range to lakes and ponds.

*One fatal attack occurred when someone used a camera with built-in flash to photograph a snake, and the flash caused the snake to feel under attack.

*One woman was bitten last month when sitting down on lawn furniture.

*One man was fatally bitten while searching for a golf ball on a golf course.

*One person was bitten trying to rescue a snake from traffic.

*Another person thought it would be safe to handle a dead snake, and learned the hard way that dead snakes can bite reflexively.

*Several people were bitten while hiking, but we don't know if they had gotten off of the main trails or not.

*Some kept venomous snakes as pets, to their own demise. 

*One was bitten just pulling his pants on.

*Some were bitten reaching their hands into unlit places, mostly outdoors.

*One stepped on a snake that he thought was a log

*One fellow was killed during a long-standing rattlesnake round-up competition in a Texas community

*A few were bitten while cutting trees and brush

*One was killed when berry-picking (how many times have we seen Little Bear and friends go off of the main path to pick berries in the cartoons, with the only snake in the show being one of their best friends?)

*One was bitten in the hayloft of his barn

*Some were bitten and died sleeping out in the open without a tent or camper

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 05:40:38 PM by R.R. Book »

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2019, 08:37:46 PM »
VERY interesting!  The only thing I can add is that I've read that young snakes are unable yet to regulate or judge how much venom they inject, thus smaller venomous snakes may be more dangerous than the adults of that species.

A few years ago here in MO, a man was bitten three consecutive times while interacting with a copperhead, and the result was fatal.  It seems he had picked up the snake to show his 12 year old son, but maybe he picked it up three times!  Anyway, he lived long enough for the ambulance to pick him up, but not much longer: https://www.kfvs12.com/story/25987215/missouri-man-dies-from-snake-bite-at-sam-a-baker-park/

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2019, 07:24:11 AM »
That's so tragic Ilinda. 

We've tried to run our homestead using only hand tools and manual labor (including a push-style reel mower), with the exception of a chainsaw and log splitter, but are looking for a weed whacker today.  Our place quickly crosses that fine line between "enough plant life" and "too much plant life," under and behind which snakes could be hiding.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 01:52:22 PM by R.R. Book »

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2019, 06:49:45 PM »
That's so tragic Ilinda. 

We've tried to run our homestead using only hand tools and manual labor (including a push-style reel mower), with the exception of a chainsaw and log splitter, but are looking for a weed whacker today.  Our place quickly crosses that fine line between "enough plant life" and "too much plant life," under and behind which snakes could be hiding.
A week whacker will come in really handy for preventing snakes to have a place to lurk.  We use as little high-tech stuff as possible, but in this day it's fairly difficult.  We did get rid of our tiller years ago and now the gardens are only dug with hand tools.  They never look as neat and perfect as a tilled or plowed garden, but this method is good preparation for the day when gasoline may only be available for the military, or at least not for the common folk.  Digging the garden by hand could truly be a security issue some day.

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2019, 05:10:40 AM »
Absolutely.

On the other hand, I was like a kid in a toy shop yesterday using my new weed-whacker... :)

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2019, 09:31:43 PM »
Yikes Ilinda!

That does look rather threatening, or perhaps he was feeling threatened?

Could you post a photo of your special snake equipment?
The gloves are thick leather, the kind used for working with a fireplace or wood stove.  The drywall bucket can be any bucket, preferably a large white one, as the snake will be easier to see.  The tool does work, and it comes from Forestry Suppliers:  https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/Search.php?stext=Professional%20Snake%20Hook

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2019, 11:46:27 PM »
ilinda and RR good posts about snakes... I am also very concerned about them.
Our family used to travel across the southwestern states a lot from southern CA up to about 8,000 feet to our land in Colo, and we had a few rules and were aware where we were stepping and so on.
We made some noise when  we stepped out of the car or travel trailer so as to cause the snakes to go away from noise. Well it must have worked we never stepped right on one.
Whenever we walked we always had a sturdy walking stick and shoes and made a clumping noise which reverberates in the desert floor and the snakes tend to go away from the noise.
The only close encounter with a snake was when it was already dead.
I think I managed to kill it accidentally. Hope so. I was about eleven and we set up our tent up on the  land, tarp, then tent, put up the stakes then put down our air mattress and went to sleep. When we struck the tent and pulled up the tarp there was a squashed young snake looked like a rattler. That made an impression on me, like I managed to get it before it got me.
Can't claim for sure that is what happened  ;) but it was right under where my air mattress was.
It may take more than that to squash a rattler.
I once killed one in Topanga Canyon it was in the road not far from the driveway and i had little kids, so I ran over it  and then went forward and quickly drove in reverse over it, got it. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 11:56:43 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2019, 11:47:25 PM »
ilinda and RR snakes getting into the house and barn - wow that is a concern.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2019, 11:54:04 PM »
Just a short video, will be posting more and also some more of my own ideas on home defense.
Members, please share your ideas and expertise, please in this Topic.

Preppers Home Invasion Security Defense: Hardening the House for SHTF  7:05 377,043 views

https://youtu.be/l2FAD4bYMuY

Jul 11, 2013
HealthyPrepper
31.7K subscribers

You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/healthyprepper

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2019, 12:37:41 AM »
30 Tips For Improving Home Security Right Now!  23:48   22,448 views

https://youtu.be/6ChAp25S6-I

Jan 16, 2017
Reality Survival & Prepping

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2019, 01:14:37 AM »
Bug Out Location Security  22:19   219 views

https://youtu.be/nehl4BtyCg8

Asymmetrical Preparedness
Aug 10, 2019
656 subscribers
We all have to think about security after an event. You can have all the preps in the world, but if you do not have a way to secure them, then you will not have them for long.

I just found out Amazon sells BARB WIRE! and RAZOR WIRE!

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2019, 06:10:14 PM »
There is a really low-tech thing which depends on terrain, proximity of living quarters to driveway, road, path, or some thoroughfare that could or would be traversed by others, and this might work better at night.

A lightweight string, or even fishing wire, can be strung across the driveway, etc., and concealed on its way to the living quarters, and inside the string is connected to a bell or another low-tech "receiver".  For example, someone walking along the driveway at night who might run into such a lightweight thing, might not give it a second look, but that string could have just sent a signal to someone indoors.

Another thing is an electric eye, with "receiver", which if blocked by the passage of someone, would/could send a signal indoors that something/someone has just passed in between the "eye" and reflector.  Low-tech isn't perfect, but is easy to tinker with at home.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2019, 06:22:00 PM »
There is a really low-tech thing which depends on terrain, proximity of living quarters to driveway, road, path, or some thoroughfare that could or would be traversed by others, and this might work better at night.

A lightweight string, or even fishing wire, can be strung across the driveway, etc., and concealed on its way to the living quarters, and inside the string is connected to a bell or another low-tech "receiver".  For example, someone walking along the driveway at night who might run into such a lightweight thing, might not give it a second look, but that string could have just sent a signal to someone indoors.

Another thing is an electric eye, with "receiver", which if blocked by the passage of someone, would/could send a signal indoors that something/someone has just passed in between the "eye" and reflector.  Low-tech isn't perfect, but is easy to tinker with at home.

I like that, ingenious but very cheap methods can help keep people safe..

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2019, 06:26:52 PM »
Note from Barb, Rudimentary checklist, a review.
Some of these things I have done for years, some will do asap:

Outdoor signs such as Say Hello To My Little friend, I'm packing, "NRA Member" etc.
LOADED SHOTGUN On PREMISES, 4 DAYS A WEEK, YOU GUESS WHICH DAYS.

Fake or real "This Home Protected By A Security System" signs

Door jams

Sticks to block patio doors

Small bell at entrance door of home on the inside

The hurricane shutters on inside of window such as in the video posted in Reply #68

If it really hits the fan, put actual boards screwed in and barred, on the inside surface, covering windows.

A discreet peephole, gun hole or two

Peephole on doors

Keep bushy plants away from exit doors so no one can hide behind them if lurking nearby.

Do plant small "mean plants" below windows and on perimeter fences to discourage climbing in and over.

Some kind of warning system to alert you if someone is entering your driveway, such as what ilinda posted in Reply #71.

Having a property which is not all flat, and having some winding turns in, some hills, trees so it is not visible from the highway.

If there is a way to completely hide your survival retreat homes, do it.

Image number one, flat lot, pretty exposed and vulnerable location for a survival retreat

Image two - the property has twists, turns hills, woods, so buildings are not so visible from the hwy
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 06:56:18 PM by Yowbarb »

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2019, 05:07:03 AM »
That was a good idea Barb, to run over the snake with the car.  Ours are mostly off the beaten path, where a car wouldn't be able to go, but fortunately we seldom come across a poisonous snake here - just a few in 20 years so far.

Am getting the boys rifles for Christmas though... :-X

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY NOW

In a post-global disaster world, predators and tyrants will have the best two-way radios, and they'll use them to surveil you at a comfortable distance.

What will you have? Signal flares and red bandannas?

If so, when you least expect it, the predators and tyrants will come to take a spoil and they will torture, rape, and kill without mercy.

This is why Radio Free Earth authors Marshall Masters and Duane W. Brayton have an urgent message for everyone with a serious interest in preparedness. That being, analog RF (radio frequency) is the heartbeat of freedom. Accept no substitutes.

Watch our free videos to learn how to stay safe and free with an affordable strategy for two way communication, both near and far.

Welcome to Radio
Free Earth

Why Radio
Free Earth

Post-Disaster
Communications

Citizens Band Radios
for Survival

BUY NOW