Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Fracking. Leaking and exploding pipeline disasters in the US  (Read 29518 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Fracking. Leaking and exploding pipeline disasters in the US
« on: August 05, 2013, 11:15:11 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_fracturing

Hydraulic fracturing
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Fracking" redirects here. For other uses, see Fracking (disambiguation).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 01:22:04 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Fracking. Leaking and exploding pipeline disasters in the US
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 01:55:03 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_fracturing

Hydraulic fracturingFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/frances-beinecke/the-fracking-boom-do-we-w_b_3671672.html

The Fracking Boom: Do We Want to Leave Our Children an Industrialized Landscape?

Posted: 07/29/2013 2:04 pm

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
The amount of fracking that is going on here in PA is just unconscionable!  Wrecking our landscape, causing earthquakes, pollution, GGRRRR, don't even get me going on this one... ;) >:(

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 08:40:14 AM »
http://thewatchers.adorraeli.com/2013/08/07/fracking-began-in-china-s-most-dangerous-earthquake-zone/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

'Fracking' began in China’s most dangerous earthquake zone

Posted by Adonai on August 07, 2013 in category Energy

Willsorr75

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 11:45:13 AM »
The amount of fracking that is going on here in PA is just unconscionable!  Wrecking our landscape, causing earthquakes, pollution, GGRRRR, don't even get me going on this one... ;) >:(

I've been traveling for business to Scranton PA for months now and I've noticed an extreme amount of construction and demolition that I'm not use to seeing here in Tennessee. Is this normal?
Stay informed, information is our first line of defense!
-Will

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 03:41:04 PM »

I've been traveling for business to Scranton PA for months now and I've noticed an extreme amount of construction and demolition that I'm not use to seeing here in Tennessee. Is this normal?

Will, thanks for your post.
Send me a message if you might be interested in doing a story on what you see happening there.
It doesn't have to be fancy just a simple observation. It would have details such as the location, date time. Any photos you can get from an I phone or camera. If you are interested at all, I can explain how this works and I will add you to the Stringers Group here. (Stringers a journalistic term for independent reporter.)
- Yowbarb
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 07:45:14 PM by Yowbarb »

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 04:36:24 PM »

I haven't been to up north to Scranton in sometime (it's about an hour from here), but sure seems as if they are constantly working on construction on the roads (PA is known for constant construction in that regard due to the snow/ice), the Northeast extension of the turnpike is going through a major overhaul including bridgework) and since '08 they've been trying to fix a lot of bridges that were deemed to be unsafe.  So I can't say for sure if what you were seeing is normal or not, but it could be.  There has been quite an influx of people from the NY and NJ areas though too, which has made for additional construction, and what they sometimes call knockdowns (when a person decides to buy a run-down place real cheap, then knock it down and build to suit).  And then also the fracking.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 10:16:49 AM »
Maybe you could snap some photos and glean a little info. I wonder what's happening...
Someone I know in PA (he has a cabin) said suddenly all the fracking in the area of his cabin stopped. Cold. Suddenly.
He is trying to find out more...I do know there are some legal battles going on about fracking...Federal level. Some of it is on a state - by - state basis. Here is something I randomly found in CA.
I put bold or red on a few lines...   - Yowbarb

http://www.latimes.com/local/political/la-me-pc-fracking-foe-blasts-legislative-aides-for-energy-company-holdings-20130807,0,1869853.story
PolitiCal
ON POLITICS IN THE GOLDEN STATE

Fracking foe blasts legislative aides for energy company holdings

By Patrick McGreevy  August 8, 2013, 8:19 a.m.

As a showdown nears on legislation that would regulate hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, in California, one prominent activist is criticizing four aides to Assembly Speaker John Perez (D-Los Angeles) for their holdings in energy company stocks.

Fracking is a controversial process that involves injecting water and chemicals into the ground to break up rock and increase production of oil and natural gas. Opponents say fracking fouls groundwater, pollutes the air and may raise the risk of earthquakes.

Jamie Court, president of the nonprofit group Consumer Watchdog, noted that most of the several bills that would regulate fracking have been sidelined in the Assembly and said he fears for the survival of a remaining measure by Sen. Fran Pavley (D-Agoura Hills).
“The hands of the speaker’s office are all over the death of these bills and there needs to be an investigation,” Court said. He has filed a complaint with the state Fair Political Practices Commission, which is reviewing the facts. Representatives of the Assembly deny any conflicts of interest.
Court noted that Steve Maviglio, who serves as a spokesman for Perez on contract, disclosed in a required report in March that he owned stock worth between $100,000 and $1 million in Linn Energy, which uses fracking in its operation of oil and natural gas wells.
Maviglio said he sold his shares in Linn for less than $100,000 shortly after going to work for Perez in March and he said he has had no part in discussions about fracking bills. He also said he has done work “against oil companies” for the Better World Group and as chief campaign spokesman against two oil companies that put Proposition 23 on the ballot.
Among other Perez aides, one has disclosed owning stock in Chevron Corp., though that top staffer has been on medical leave. Two others who own shares of Exxon Mobile Corp. and Alliant Energy Corp. have had “no policy involvement” in the fracking issue, according to Jon Waldie, the chief administrative officer of the Assembly.
Court said an FPPC investigation is needed to reassure the public that the fracking bills are being considered on their merits.
ALSO:
California Assembly returns from summer recess
Lawmaker, others say state oversight of oil field fracking is lacking
patrick.mcgreevy@latimes.com  2013, Los Angeles Times

PHOTO: A fracking operation among potato fields in Kern County. (Jose Luis Villegas / Sacramento Bee / June 10, 2013)

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Gas Explosions Nationwide
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 06:33:55 PM »
Sad to report, there was a major gas explosion in NYC today.  Well, not yet confirmed officially that is.

March 12, 2014

2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 1 dead

Associated Press   

NEW YORK — An explosion on Wednesday leveled two New York City apartment buildings, killing two people, injuring 17 others and sending smoke billowing above the skyline.

The blast happened after a neighbor reported smelling natural gas.

The New York Police Department said two females died in the explosion, but no further information was available.

Con Edison spokesman Bob McGee said a resident from a building adjacent to the two that collapsed reported that he smelled gas inside his apartment, but thought the odor could be coming from outside. McGee said the utility dispatched two crews just after 9:15 a.m. but they arrived just after the explosion.

He would not speculate on whether a gas leak caused the explosion.

The street is served by an eight-inch low pressure gas main, McGee said.

“We’re working with the FDNY and checking gas lines,” he said. “We’re working to isolate any leaks and make the area safe.”

The East Harlem neighborhood stood at a standstill as police set up barricades to keep residents away from the building that was still spewing thick, acrid smoke into the air, watering people’s eyes. Some wore surgical masks while others held their hands or scarves over their faces.

Sidewalks for blocks around were littered with broken glass from shattered storefront and apartment windows. Witnesses say the blast neat Park Avenue and 116th Street was so powerful it knocked groceries off the shelves of nearby stores.

“It felt like an earthquake had rattled my whole building,” said Waldemar Infante, 24, a porter from a nearby residential building who was working in the basement when the explosion occurred. “There were glass shards everywhere on the ground and all the stores had their windows blown out.”

The two destroyed buildings, 1644 and 1646 Park Ave., were both five-story brick apartment buildings. One held a piano store on the first floor, the other a storefront church.

Building Department records don’t show any work in progress at either location, but the building that holds the church obtained permits to install new gas piping in June.

One resident of 1646 Park Ave., Eusebio Perez, heard news of the explosion and hurried back from his job as a piano technician.

“There’s nothing left,” he said by cellphone from a police barricade two blocks away. “Just a bunch of bricks and wood.”

Perez, 48, said he shared an apartment in the building with a roommate and was unsure what his next steps would be.

“I only have what I’m wearing,” he said. “I have to find a place to stay for tonight and organize what’s going to be my next steps.”

Eoin Hayes, 26, said the explosion shook his entire apartment building at about 9:30 a.m. He ran to the window and saw flames consuming one building and smoke rising into the air.

“I was in my bedroom and the explosion went off, it kind of shook the whole building,” Hayes said. “You could feel the vibrations going through the building.”

The explosion occurred very close to elevated Metro-North commuter railroad tracks. Metro-North service was suspended to and from Grand Central on all three train lines while employees remove debris from the tracks.

The fire department said it sent nearly 200 members to the scene.
http://www.bdtonline.com/latest/x787212690/2-NYC-buildings-collapse-in-explosion-1-dead
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 06:42:17 PM by enlightenme »

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 07:04:25 AM »
I just signed this petition, anyone else interested in doing so, it would be greatly appreciated.  I know it is rather a local fracking issue, but in the long run it does affect us all.  Thanks!

http://www.credomobilize.com/petitions/ban-new-natural-gas-pipelines-in-lancaster-county-pa?akid=10465.5799390.BT7EUq&rd=1&suppress_one_click=true&t=4

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 10:49:44 AM »
A few years ago, when the economy was really bad, people in this area touted the fracking thing as a good thing, it meant jobs!  I was all for jobs and was all for not having millions of drills put up all over the place, so I thought it was a good idea too.  Then unusual earthquakes started happening in Eastern Ohio.  I think it made the national news.  The locals immediately blamed it on fracking.  Well, the government, and oil/gas companies immediately said there is no way fracking can cause earthquakes.

Fast forward a year or two.  Now, there is evidence of dangerous chemicals being pumped into the ground with the water they use.  And again, government and oil/gas companies deny that there are chemicals at all, or at least they are in dangerous levels. 

How many more years are we going to be subjected to this crappy way to extract natural gas before the government and oil/gas companies figure out that fracking is dangerous and detrimental to the Earth?  I absolutely hate seeing all the water trucks and dirt roads going up hills in my area.  They are ruining my beautiful state!  Just when strip mining has died down, they have come up with another way to scar my state.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 01:12:06 PM »
A few years ago, when the economy was really bad, people in this area touted the fracking thing as a good thing, it meant jobs!  I was all for jobs and was all for not having millions of drills put up all over the place, so I thought it was a good idea too.  Then unusual earthquakes started happening in Eastern Ohio.  I think it made the national news.  The locals immediately blamed it on fracking.  Well, the government, and oil/gas companies immediately said there is no way fracking can cause earthquakes.

Fast forward a year or two.  Now, there is evidence of dangerous chemicals being pumped into the ground with the water they use.  And again, government and oil/gas companies deny that there are chemicals at all, or at least they are in dangerous levels. 

How many more years are we going to be subjected to this crappy way to extract natural gas before the government and oil/gas companies figure out that fracking is dangerous and detrimental to the Earth?  I absolutely hate seeing all the water trucks and dirt roads going up hills in my area.  They are ruining my beautiful state!  Just when strip mining has died down, they have come up with another way to scar my state.

I know steedy, right!  I feel the same way

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 06:02:39 PM »

How many more years will we be subjected to this?  Probably till the resource is depleted.  I agree with what both of you have said and often feel we are helpless when up against the big corporados.  Back in 1987 I was sued for $1 million in a libel suit by a medical waste company who claimed I libeled them by what I had said about their facility/operations, but in reality they were just trying to shut up all of those who were protesting their facility.  So they sued me and another person in separate lawsuits.  In the end they lost, but it took four long years from my life.  Would I do it again?  Yes.    I think we do what we know to be right.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 08:07:53 PM »

How many more years will we be subjected to this?  Probably till the resource is depleted.  I agree with what both of you have said and often feel we are helpless when up against the big corporados.  Back in 1987 I was sued for $1 million in a libel suit by a medical waste company who claimed I libeled them by what I had said about their facility/operations, but in reality they were just trying to shut up all of those who were protesting their facility.  So they sued me and another person in separate lawsuits.  In the end they lost, but it took four long years from my life.  Would I do it again?  Yes.    I think we do what we know to be right.

Good for you for standing up for what is right, what you believed in!  Thankfully justice prevailed!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 06:56:02 AM »

ilinda -wow that is amazing. That is so well done that you fought that good fight and won.
There are some areas now where fracking has been abandoned...
Several years ago I signed some petitions I came across an Appalachian mountain grass roots organization as part of my Melungeon ancestry research...

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!