Win-Win Survival Communities The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Radio Free Earth

Author Topic: Goats, cows and other domestic animals  (Read 18287 times)

ilinda

Re: Goats, cows and other domestic animals
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2018, 05:45:57 PM »
Then there's a "pick-like thing" for prying out compacted poop in the hoof crevices.

Do goats have frogs like equine?
I must be losing it, as I don't understand the question.....? "frogs like equine"?

R.R. Book

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2018, 06:46:55 PM »
frogs = hollow areas on the bottoms of hooves, cleaned with "frog picks"

ilinda

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2018, 05:41:56 PM »
frogs = hollow areas on the bottoms of hooves, cleaned with "frog picks"
Yes, they do have them and they can become clogged with mud, droppings, etc., leading to foot/hoof rot if not kept somewhat cleaned.  Thanks for educating me!

R.R. Book

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2019, 06:13:11 AM »
Here's a brief film from A Plane Truth of a Scandinavian woman singing an ancient Viking song to call her cows.  The audio is haunting:

ilinda

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2019, 11:15:22 AM »
Pleasant on the ears and mind.

Yowbarb

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2019, 12:39:34 AM »
Here's a brief film from A Plane Truth of a Scandinavian woman singing an ancient Viking song to call her cows.  The audio is haunting:

Beautiful!

Socrates

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
kunekune pigs
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2019, 12:04:19 PM »
Wikipedia on kunekune pigs:
Kunekune are very easy to manage, as they have the ability to live on little more than grass. They are the only true grazing pig, and can be maintained with grass alone without supplementary feeding. One acre of grass can sustain as many as six kunekune

I've been eyeing kunekune for a while, especially since the local petting zoo has 2 of them and they've stayed small for a long time.
I've researched 'so-called' miniature pig breeds before and it seems that what actually happens is that piglets stay relatively small for a long time... until they don't. Having said that, there's much to be said for a breed that can stay small for a long time, especially if conditions are unfortunate, like say during a nuclear winter. So then if you have a breed of omnivore that "have the ability to live on little more than grass", you're safe. I'm thinking... Perhaps more research required.

P.S. So then i run across this youtube tidbit that states the kunekune get too big because the owners feed them too much; so that could be why the local petty zoo manages to keep them small!
P.P.S. Kunekune get fat very easily. They are experts at convincing you they are starving and must have more feed even if they were only fed 5 minutes beforehand. [from the British Kunekune Society].
I'm thinking that especially if one applies the Fordhall Farm philosophy of using as many grass strains as possible to encourage year-round growth and resilience; imagine a life-giving pasture of grasses allowing cows, sheep and pigs to survive until better times arrive.

I know, i know, i've said that scobies are a legitimate substitute for pigs on a small-scale farm, but still, a pig, especially one that can grow to be 400 pounds [!] is an interesting option.
[and so much cuddlier than a 'duck'].
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 12:50:35 PM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

R.R. Book

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2019, 10:50:24 AM »
Aren't they adorable?

Socrates

• Members
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
kunekune
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2019, 11:46:07 AM »
they are
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

R.R. Book

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2019, 12:02:30 PM »
Awwww!  :)

ilinda

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2019, 06:32:51 PM »
Doesn't that black and white one look a bit cross-eyed?   

Socrates

• Members
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
small(ish) creatures for your 'ark'
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2020, 09:11:30 AM »
In nature there exist no ecological systems without 'animals' (creatures), like
Ouessant:

'Scobies':

Mini zebu:

Silkworms:

Crickets:

Honeybees

Cuy (guinea pig):

Diamond dove:

Rabbits (like, perhaps, the Flemish Giant):

Kunekune:

Icelandic Chickens:

... as compared to mainstream / modern / popular notions about animal husbandry concerning HUGE animals that don't service homesteads but instead mankind's billions. Animals like the biggest cows, birds and pigs one can imagine. But what if one were to imagine less...?
Smallest great dog? I'd say the Australian Cattle Dog. And in a SHTF scenario it's 'anti-social' characteristics would be an asset:

Okay, if we're condering all options, perhaps we'd like to throw in:
Donkeys: , geese or goats:
But that's about all she wrote.

From an 'Anunnaki' point of view 'Noah's ark' was NOT about gathering all kinds of animals together. I mean, really, with our modern knowledge of how many species there are, that's just crazy. Instead, the original story seems to have been that our 'Anunnaki landlords' collected the DNA of Earth's [or otherworldly...?] species and headed out into space intending to reseed after Earth had been devastaded. Now 'Noah' [Ziusudra] was told by ENKI to take all of his household and animals into an 'ark' and head out to sea.
Personally i have this idea that 'Noah's sons' were actually caucasians, negroids and mongaloids [non-scientific jargon: "whites, blacks and asians"]. But anyway...
Almost all domesticated animals originate from the 'Middle East', i.e. the region where the Anunnaki were most active.
Do your own math.  ;D

We have one petting zoo in the area that has 2 kunekune, that stayed small for the longest time; another petting zoo had Ouessant and Scobies. I think such things are wonderful.
But i wish they'd expand and show children (and their parents) the wonders of all kinds of animal husbandry that are accessible to homesteads and families living in homes with gardens or even in appartments.
I myself have three quail and though their small eggs may seem insignificant, with what i've learned of veganism and the like, having some animal proteins infrequently [a chimp's diet naturally consists of 2% animal proteins] may make all the difference; so maybe you can 'sneak in' a quail though a chicken is too much to handle... At least you'd have some eggs.

I think it'd be a good idea to collect a 'petting zoo' of sorts, with the intention to save said creatures / DNA no matter what.
Grass eaters, foragers, omnivores and even a few carnivores [i.e. dogs] to guard the lot.
Just thinkin', jus' spitballin'.

To be clear, with the above animals you would have at your disposal...:
- herbivores
- omnivores
- herb eaters [rabbits]
- carnivores [your dogs]
- guardian animals [dogs, geese, donkeys]
- fertility of soil
- wool
- meat
- sausage
- cheese
- manure
- colostrum
- milk (products)
- fat
- leather
- companianship
- diggers [chickens, scobies, pigs]
- eggs
- feed for your omnivores

In other words you'd have access to all the genetics you need to take advantage of all that your environment has to offer. You'd have a whole lot of creatures that don't take up much space but provide everything anyone could ever need in a survival situation.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 10:41:54 AM by Socrates »
survival database

R.R. Book

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2020, 11:06:59 AM »
Excellent menagerie suggestions Soc!

The little burro reminds me that smaller beasts of burden can really "pull their weight" so to speak.  Around here, historically and in present time, farm children are actually permitted on the back roads with a little burro or Shetland pulling a pony cart, enabling them to visit relatives on nearby farms or do an errand nearby.  I doubt they could do the 10 mile trip without resting that their larger counterparts can do, but think of how practical if they did even half or less of that distance, given that they're pulling a cart that can carry objects in it.

I don't know if it's technically legal in the 21st Century, but legalities have not stood in the way of the tradition.

Home Study System

Home Study System
Save 30%

BUY NOW

The ideal win-win survival community library reference system offers a broad range of valuable survival skills and knowledge. Ideal those in preparedness, it provides in-depth knowledge about how to form communities and operate two-way communications.

For human needs, it also includes a low-impact energy self-healing art and an essential role for seniors in survival communities.

A special note for those of you living outside the United States, we optimized this system for the lowest possible Priority Mail costs.

4 Paperbacks and 6 DVDs

Win-Win Survival Communities Signed

Radio Free Earth Color (Color Editon) Signed

Complete Danjeon Breathing System w/6 DVDs

Survival Wellness Advocacy and the BIG WIN

BUY NOW