Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: Bless The Beasts - Two By Two  (Read 33798 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Bless The Beasts - Two By Two
« Reply #225 on: February 23, 2019, 10:23:20 PM »
Very touching.  Makes one realize to be observant.

I love it that the calf got rescued and the mother cow was so trusting and full of love.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #226 on: March 07, 2019, 10:51:18 AM »
Something which would possibly be good to purchase before things get too crazy: Books on natural pet care.
There will need to be ways to cook pet food and stock up and/or make pet medicines.
- Yowbarb
One thing that everyone might want to keep in their arsenal for animals is CBD oil.  Of course people use it for their own ailments, but we it can be very valuable for animal problems as well, and is probably as versatile in animals, as it is with human ailments and issues.

I would consider organic CBD oil an essential medicine.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #227 on: March 07, 2019, 12:18:54 PM »

One thing that everyone might want to keep in their arsenal for animals is CBD oil.  Of course people use it for their own ailments, but we it can be very valuable for animal problems as well, and is probably as versatile in animals, as it is with human ailments and issues.

I would consider organic CBD oil an essential medicine.

Excellent ideas, ilinda! I found a link to share.
Readers:  I am just posting this for a reference, could be cheaper deals, don't know yet:

All The Best Pet Care  website: CBD DOSES FOR DOGS OR CATS

https://www.allthebestpetcare.com/information-library/what-hemp-cbd-can-do-for-your-dog-or-cat/cbd-dose-dog-cat/

https://www.innovetpet.com/blogs/news/cbd-oil-for-cats  See link for charts

WISELY SIMPLY CBD FLAVORLESS DROPS
Available in 225 mg CBD (1/2 oz) or 450 mg CBD (1 oz) bottles
We recommend a range of 1-5 mg CBD for every 10 pounds of body weight
1 drop = 1/2 mg CBD; 15 mg CBD per dropper
There are about 30 drops in a full dropper
Especially good for finicky cats and picky dogs. Drop on food or a treat or directly into the mouth. Because this product is an isolate, your dog or cat may require a 10–20% higher dose.

Also: 
https://www.allthebestpetcare.com/information-library/what-hemp-cbd-can-do-for-your-dog-or-cat/cbd-dose-dog-cat/
WISELY HIGH POTENCY HEMP CBD OIL
Available in 225 mg CBD (1/2 oz), 450 mg CBD (1 oz), and 900 mg CBD (2 oz) bottles
We recommend a range of 1-5 mg CBD for every 10 pounds of body weight
1 drop = 1/2 mg CBD; 15 mg CBD per dropper
There are about 30 drops in a full dropper
Drop on food or a treat or directly into the mouth.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Bless The Beasts - which?
« Reply #228 on: March 08, 2019, 12:42:21 AM »
I've never read this thread; are what animals to choose discussed to take along in whatever kind of 'ark' we assemble?
My 2 cents' worth:

- 1 or 2 good breeds of dog [Rhodesian Ridgeback/viszla/malinois/chihuahua
- a beehive
- any of a number of breeds of rabbit [for fur, size or otherwise]
- ouessant (miniture) sheep
- mini zebu [cattle]
- muscovy ducks ['Scobies']
- quail
- a hardy breed of chicken like the Red Ranger
- a good goat breed
- silkworms
- crickets [also grasshoppers]
- ants [the eggs but also the ants themselves]

To be clear, in many circumstances the grasshoppers/crickets/silk worms can be fed to poultry or dogs, in some ocassions they may be the difference of life-and-death for you...
We simply do not know what may occur/befall us. Methinks this is what it means to be a 'prepper'...

It would be better if there were neighbors who tended to species we ourselves cannot manage. I mean, the above list appears more like a petting zoo than a homestead...
So engaging others might also be considered a priority. [As long as you see eye-to-eye on the big issues...]

I should add, in conventional and mainstrean agriculture and animal husbandry large breeds of cattle, pig, goat and sheep are common. However, these breeds support popular culture, corporate interests and 'economics' [i.e. politics], not independency and self-sufficiency. If and when the 'modern' era ends, one is best supported by breeds that are not overly specialized.
For instance, the Mangalica pig breed was once almost driven to extinction by European politics that demanded pigs to develop at certain rates. Though the Mangalica are hardy and provide superior-tasting meat, they were outcast by European politics. Similarly, many superior breeds have been relegated to the fringe by economics and politics.
We 'preppers' are one force to counter such short-sightedness.

As permaculture shows, agriculture has been political for millennia but gardening, horticulture [concerning orchards] and animal husbandry have options that are not only liberating and healthy but also efficient, productive and economically promising [i.e. even in these times].
As preppers we (obviously) need to go (far) beyond the limitations set upon us by mainstrean thinking and conditioning. This is also about breeds and priorities. In the end, it's mainly about information [i.e. including genetic information].
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 01:14:26 AM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #229 on: March 08, 2019, 05:26:50 AM »
Just noticing how similar your linked Red Ranger hen appears to a common hybrid here called various names such as Red Sex Link, Cinnamon Queen, etc.  They are usually bred from a Rhode Island Red father and a Delaware mother.  There are also Black Sex Links as well, from a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red father and a Plymouth Barred Rock mother:

About hybrids:
They are bred to lay more eggs than any other type of hen except pure Rhode Island Reds, and then it's a tie with them for highest lay rate.  They typically live shorter lives than other hens, maybe because they just burn themselves out with laying so heavily.  Our sex links typically have lived 5 years at most, but 3 is more common.

Though it's not pleasant to find a hen dead and have to bury it, it's part of farming / microfarming and easier than culling, and it does help to refresh your flock's egg production when you lose an older hen and need to add some new pullets to the flock.

The Red Sex Link hens have one of the gentlest temperaments, and probably would do better not mixed into a flock with other feistier breeds that might bully them.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 09:12:53 AM by R.R. Book »

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #230 on: March 08, 2019, 01:17:00 PM »
Good chicken info, RR, as lifespan isn't something people usually think about when first getting into chickens.

And, Soc, regarding mainstream agriculture, yes, it's best to study about the various breeds of animals, especially herbivores that have nearly become extinct, or are less popular.

While the Highland or Scottish Highland cattle, they, among some other breeds, are known to be much better foragers than many of the mainstream cattle breeds, as the Highland cattle will eat brush and lots of other things most cattle won't touch, plus can withstand harsh climate, harsh winds, rains, etc., due in part to their thick (double?) hair.

Plus their milk has one of the highest amounts of butterfat, and their meat is low in cholesterol.

Think of how little hay would need to cut and store for a breed such as this.  I'd get a couple of them in a heartbeat of hubby would not stand in the way.  (I got goats he did not want and now he's overworked and I feel like I've ruined his life, but that's another whole story.   LOL)

And regarding a good goat, here is something to ponder.  Llamas and alpacas usually have only one baby per gestation, whereas goats have been bred to have many, sometimes 4 or 5.  Sounds good if life is normal, but those babies when very young sound a lot like a newborn human and that cry can attract coyotes, bobcats, wolves, mountain lions, dogs, large domestic cats, and probably even an occasional bear. 

If the goat barn is totally secure, and paddock likewise, it might be an easy thing, but I'm looking at it like this:  one gestation brings one baby, plus extra milk for the human.  We found out from the sad experience that unless you are "graining" the doe goat, she will not have enough milk to feed 3 or 4 or 5 babies, and will stop feeding one or more babies.  She will choose which one to stop feeding.  Our goats are totally grassfed, like deer, and grazing and browsing will offer enough nutrition for one baby, but not easily more.  You know what they say about hindsight.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #231 on: March 08, 2019, 01:24:19 PM »
now he's overworked and I feel like I've ruined his life, but that's another whole story.   LOL

:) :)

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY NOW

In a post-global disaster world, predators and tyrants will have the best two-way radios, and they'll use them to surveil you at a comfortable distance.

What will you have? Signal flares and red bandannas?

If so, when you least expect it, the predators and tyrants will come to take a spoil and they will torture, rape, and kill without mercy.

This is why Radio Free Earth authors Marshall Masters and Duane W. Brayton have an urgent message for everyone with a serious interest in preparedness. That being, analog RF (radio frequency) is the heartbeat of freedom. Accept no substitutes.

Watch our free videos to learn how to stay safe and free with an affordable strategy for two way communication, both near and far.

Welcome to Radio
Free Earth

Why Radio
Free Earth

Post-Disaster
Communications

Citizens Band Radios
for Survival

BUY NOW