Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: FLOODING (US)  (Read 31829 times)

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: FLOODING (US)
« Reply #165 on: August 09, 2018, 06:30:52 PM »
Never again will I watch a flood video and proclaim, "how could that person be so stupid?!".

Last night while driving home from a meeting 100+ miles away, I encountered a sudden, heavy rainstorm.  I thought I knew Highway 21 very well, when suddenly, while driving about 40 mph, I drove into deep water, in which water was flowing up over the edges of my hood.  The car suddenly slowed, and although I was giving it all the gas I could, it moved more like a canoe trying to ferry a large boat across a large river.

No matter how much gas I gave it, it seemed like it was slowing and I think I could see steam rising from the engine compartment.  Finally  I cleared the deep water and then for the next approximately 10 minutes, I drove through several smaller "puddles".

After "recovering", it was after about 30 minutes of additional travel time that the rains stopped.  After getting home, hubby inspected the car and discovered all the flood debris stuck in the grill and even some in the engine compartment.  License plate was bent upward at 90 degrees.

Because it was so dark and rain so intense, I still don't know the exact stretch of highway where this happened.  Hubby said that while I was en route home, he looked at weather radar and saw one very intense storm that was unusually small and it appeared to be where I would have been driving.

This was a serious lesson that no matter how well you know a road, if it is raining and it is already dark--remember that a road full of water, whether 1 foot deep or 4 feet deep, will look pretty much like a "wet road", and will not look like the pool that it may be.

Lucky to be here.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #166 on: August 10, 2018, 04:27:53 AM »
Ilinda, I'm so sorry that you had such a harrowing experience - and very thankful that you made it back home safely.

I also wonder, from  your description of steam rising from the hood, if the cool water against a hot engine might possibly crack the engine block, which would essentially total the car it seems?

Anyway, we can all learn from your experience!  I once found myself trapped by a flooded out road, and luckily put my car in reverse before going too far, but I had to go backwards up a steep hill to get out of it.  The difference in my case though was that it was in daylight, and I could see what was ahead.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #167 on: August 24, 2018, 07:34:07 AM »
https://youtu.be/gyvqIXmELcw

Flooding in Hawaii:

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #168 on: September 04, 2018, 05:17:21 PM »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #169 on: September 04, 2018, 07:40:29 PM »
 :o

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #170 on: September 04, 2018, 07:41:15 PM »
https://youtu.be/gyvqIXmELcw

Flooding in Hawaii:

Sadly, Hawaii is in for more flooding, as Hurricane NORMAN approaches...

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #171 on: September 09, 2018, 11:36:10 AM »
https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/insurance-coverage-scaled-back-following-local-floods

Homeowner's insurance policies typically include exclusions prohibiting coverage of flood damage, leaving insurance shoppers to decide whether or not to take out separate flood insurance coverage above and beyond their regular policies.  However, as many who have experienced reductions in claim payouts have discovered the hard way, according to this Canadian news outlet, recent policy renewals have come with changes in the wording that need to be carefully read and understood by policy holders.

...We all are at the mercy of insurance companies.

Flood claims from 2016-2017, not even counting those from 2018, have "inundated" (pun intended) insurers to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars in Canada alone.  If a company is hit hard enough with claims in one location, it may simply choose to pull out of the area entirely and no longer write policies.

It no doubt takes more work and effort for homeowners to shop around, but there are still companies to buy insurance from.

In some cases, a homeowner just finished restoring their basement and got hit again.

Companies will be evaluating whether homeowners have taken sufficient measures, on their own, to flood-proof their dwellings, by methods such as:

*installing a backwater valve at a cost of around $200 for new construction or $2000 for a retrofit.
https://www.squareoneinsurance.com/backwater-valve

*installing a sump pump

*disconnecting downspouts

Referred by:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfanDmcGj3E

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #172 on: September 14, 2018, 06:12:31 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNwRvLJWTrc

Mary Greeley quotes a meteorologist from Weathermodels.com as saying that it's too soon to breathe a sigh of relief that Hurricane Florence was downgraded to a Cat 1 storm at the time of landfall.  It's not the wind that will be the problem, but the rain, as 10 trillion gallons of water are expected to fall just on North Carolina alone.

"In a matter of seconds, my house was flooded up to the waist, and now it is to the chest," said Peggy Perry, who along with three relatives, was trapped early Friday in her New Bern home. "We are stuck in the attic."
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/14/us/hurricane-florence-south-east-coast-wxc/index.html

Many prayers for those in Florence's path.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 06:23:51 AM by R.R. Book »

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #173 on: September 18, 2018, 07:34:16 AM »

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #175 on: September 29, 2018, 08:37:56 AM »
South Carolina continues to be the recipient of downstream flooding from North Carolina.  In Georgetown, S.C., the National Guard has placed long tubular black flood bags along both sides of a road predicted to be under water soon, and are in the process of extracting water from one of several rivers at the confluence with Winyah Bay, an inlet from the Atlantic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwhowzZ089o

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #176 on: September 29, 2018, 10:51:34 PM »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #177 on: September 29, 2018, 10:59:00 PM »
Sept 30, 2018

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dennismersereau/2018/09/30/flash-flood-watches-up-for-the-american-southwest-as-hurricane-rosa-approaches-mexico/#194623733742

Flash Flood Watches Up For The American Southwest As Hurricane Rosa Approaches Mexico

Dennis Mersereau
Science Contributor

Tropical storm warnings are in effect for parts of Mexico’s Baja Peninsula ahead of Hurricane Rosa. The storm, which is accelerating toward the northeast, is expected to come ashore on Monday and race inland toward the United States early next week. The storm will bring heavy rain to the southwestern states, potentially leading to flash flooding in desert and mountains areas.i

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #179 on: September 29, 2018, 11:06:14 PM »
Hazardous marine condition(s):
Tropical Storm Warning

PZZ899-301630-
 824 PM PDT Sat Sep 29 2018

SYNOPSIS FOR CALIFORNIA WATERS...A low pressure trough will
 continue to shift NW of the waters tonight. An area of low
 pressure will move towards the waters Sun and Sun night, drift SE
 over the waters Mon into Tue night pulling a weakening cold front
 over the area, and dissipate over the central waters Wed, leaving
 a weak trough. The trough will move S through the southern waters
 Thu and dissipate Thu night. Hurricane Rosa will approach the
 southern waters from the S Sun and Sun night while becoming a
 tropical storm, then pass S and SE of the waters Mon into Tue.
 Southerly swell from Rosa will spread N tonight into Mon night.
 Please refer to the latest advisory from the National Hurricane
 Center for more information on Rosa.

$$

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY SMART AND DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME

This book needs to be on your survival checklist because it offers a simple path for visioning, leading, and supervising the creation of an effective survival communications strategy.

Learn more...