Win-Win Survival Communities The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Radio Free Earth

Author Topic: post-cataclysmic soil  (Read 11779 times)

ilinda

Re: post-cataclysmic soil
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2020, 07:13:20 PM »
It's embarrassing to admit, but in spite of growing food for decades, I am quite uneducated to the intricate details of soils, compost, and things related.  Yes, I read the articles and watch the videos, but for some strange reason, that area is always "on the back burner" for now, as there are so many other topics vying for attention.

So, I do appreciate your posts, Soc, along with RR.  A little side note:  I saw Dr. Elaine Ingham give a presentation at a conference on genetic engineering back in the late 1990's and she is just as you said--quite knowledgeable on soil, soil microorganisms, etc.  She also told the audience about her invovlement with a genetically engineered bacterium, called at that time Klebsiella planticola, and how it had been mutated so that it could break down spent crop residue at end of season.  Problem is the genetic changes made this common soil bacterium a sort of plant killer.  It produced ethanol, or possibly some other alcohol, and in the process was really good at killing plants, any and all plants.  When they discovered this, they retrieved all of the cultures and burned them to make certain it never "got out", where it would have literally had a "field day" eating its way across the planet.

She said, "we think we got it all.

R.R. Book

• Members
  • Prolific Member
Re: post-cataclysmic soil
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2020, 03:10:21 PM »
It's embarrassing to admit, but in spite of growing food for decades, I am quite uneducated to the intricate details of soils, compost, and things related.  Yes, I read the articles and watch the videos, but for some strange reason, that area is always "on the back burner" for now, as there are so many other topics vying for attention.

So, I do appreciate your posts, Soc, along with RR.  A little side note:  I saw Dr. Elaine Ingham give a presentation at a conference on genetic engineering back in the late 1990's and she is just as you said--quite knowledgeable on soil, soil microorganisms, etc.  She also told the audience about her invovlement with a genetically engineered bacterium, called at that time Klebsiella planticola, and how it had been mutated so that it could break down spent crop residue at end of season.  Problem is the genetic changes made this common soil bacterium a sort of plant killer.  It produced ethanol, or possibly some other alcohol, and in the process was really good at killing plants, any and all plants.  When they discovered this, they retrieved all of the cultures and burned them to make certain it never "got out", where it would have literally had a "field day" eating its way across the planet.

She said, "we think we got it all.

That reminds me of a troubling trend in "natural" farming methods: using Bt in soil and on plants.  It's not permitted under organic certification, but yet the health food store sells it as a "natural" garden resource.  Very concerning.  Sometimes another "natural" version of this is also done: lacing soil with GMO cornmeal, due to the Bt content of the corn used...

Socrates

• Members
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Elaine Ingham podcasts on Spotify
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2020, 08:15:42 AM »
Since there are so many talks to choose from, i offer you here one that i feel gives a great all-round feel and content, this one on Spotify with host Probiotic Life. A great primer.
A collegue at work studied biology at university. Also teaching now. I was sharing my excitement about Elaine Ingham and that she needs to look into it, especially since her next steps in schooling happen to involve the very subject matter Dr. Ingham covers. I gave her a great shortcut, the 3 podcasts i saved on my Spotify account.
To find these podcasts, get on Spotify, search "Elaine Ingham" and you'll see the playlist i made. (Obviously) it's the only playlist by that name.

There are SO many interviews and podcasts concerning Elaine Ingham and her work and after listening to maybe 20 of them, I found that 3 of them were especially to-the-point and bursting with information. I've listened to these many times.
If you're interested in how soil really works and how to get good soil going, it would be wise to listen to all three of these interviews. Each one really covers a different aspect of her work. Each has it's own vibe and is part of the whole which is Dr. Ingham's body of work going back 45 years.

Just to stress one more time since i just listened to these interviews again and was again struck by how counterintuitive it all actually is, Dr. Ingham explains in detail how production can easily, quickly and cheaply be increased up to 10-fold. In the end, if you know what you're doing, you'll...
- have fields that don't need to be watered
- have soil that deters all pests and disease because aerobic life won't let them propagate
- have large, healthy plants that produce huge quantities of best quality fruits
- not have to add anything to your fields other than (proper) compost one single time

Maybe it sounds too good to be true and i have to admit that i have apparently been focused on a few trivial matters as well, such as adding diluted seawater as a way of adding minerals to land; the distinction Dr. Ingham explains is that it's always about soluble minerals that plants can absorb, but just about all fields have vast amounts of inorganic minerals waiting to be turned into soluble minerals by the lifeforms in good soil. Minerals, therefore, are not at issue; subterranean life is.
For this reason as well Dr. Ingham explains that the insane productivity she is accomplishing, such as fields of maize with 10 ears of corn per plant, is not only possible but that, year after year. As long as one does not make one's field barren or compacted or kill subterranean life by adding (many) inorganic supplements [like salts], the productivity should remain.
In one of these interviews she refers to herself as the world's laziest gardener. Only, her way not only means a fraction of the effort conventional farmers put in, but an end to annual preparations, as superior harvests ensue, in quality as well as quantity.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 08:26:22 AM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Home Study System

Home Study System
Save 30%

BUY NOW

The ideal win-win survival community library reference system offers a broad range of valuable survival skills and knowledge. Ideal those in preparedness, it provides in-depth knowledge about how to form communities and operate two-way communications.

For human needs, it also includes a low-impact energy self-healing art and an essential role for seniors in survival communities.

A special note for those of you living outside the United States, we optimized this system for the lowest possible Priority Mail costs.

4 Paperbacks and 6 DVDs

Win-Win Survival Communities Signed

Radio Free Earth Color (Color Editon) Signed

Complete Danjeon Breathing System w/6 DVDs

Survival Wellness Advocacy and the BIG WIN

BUY NOW