Win-Win Survival Communities The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Radio Free Earth

Author Topic: Photography 101 Question  (Read 3439 times)

GenericUser

• Members
  • Prolific Member
Photography 101 Question
« on: October 15, 2014, 02:56:03 PM »
Should a person attempting to photograph something near the sun be worried about anything like the sunlight burning out the CCD or anything else that would damage the camera? I'm thinking of a digital still camera to begin with? Any photographers out there? Any suggestions regarding time-lapse (1 second, etc.), f-stop/aperture, etc. I saw the Gamma mods Marshall demonstrated but don't know if that is only applicable after the photo is taken and not before?

Also, if  I do capture any images, they will include what I believe should be included...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 I would like to suggest that included in those new requirements would be:

1) coordinates: lat/long/elev and/or the physical location
2) the local time of day
3) estimate of direction; estimate of degrees the sun (objects) is above horizon

Any legitimate submission should easily be able to provide the above information and when an observation is made during daylight when there are no other astronomical objects visible, these should be mandatory.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But my first and foremost concern right now is to do no damage to the camera.

Thanks  :)

ilinda

Re: Photography 101 Question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 07:07:12 PM »
I'm no expert in any of this, but have photographed the sun a number of times.  Most of the earlier times it was with a Red Filter (innards from old floppy diskette).  Later photos have been with either Red Filter or with welder's glass #14.  Also, I never aim the camera at the sun unless very near sunset or just after sunrise, when the sun's rays are longer and less damaging.

Even when I use the InfraRed setting on the older camera, I still use either Red Filter or welder's glass.  Further, "just in case", I don't look too long at the sun prior to taking the shot because even with filtering, I do not know what it takes to damage the retina, not to mention one's camera.

Last but not least, I leave in place the "UV Filter" that I have on the newer camera, which means the newer Canon will have Red Filter or welder's glass, plus UV filter in place for those moments around sunrise or sunset for pictures.

Also another thing I was ignorant about:  telephoto lenses.  My 13-year old camera has a decent telephoto capability and produces a fairly good sized sun when zoomed in, whereas the newer camera has a so-so telephoto capability, meaning when zoomed all the way in, the sun isn't nearly as large as that seen in the old camera.  So, if possible, try out the camera you are thinking about, before plunking down good money.  Also, I had wanted the new camera for photographing the iris of the eye.  Problem is I didn't try it out on an iris before buying and only after getting it home did I discover that the macro lens I bought separately was only 1X.  Gee, 1X is the same as useless as far as I am concerned!  Sorry for the rant, but thought you'd be interested in hearing experiences of others when buying a camera.
Good luck.

GenericUser

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 01:41:13 PM »
I'm no expert in any of this, but have photographed the sun a number of times.  Most of the earlier times it was with a Red Filter (innards from old floppy diskette).  Later photos have been with either Red Filter or with welder's glass #14.  Also, I never aim the camera at the sun unless very near sunset or just after sunrise, when the sun's rays are longer and less damaging.

Even when I use the InfraRed setting on the older camera, I still use either Red Filter or welder's glass.  Further, "just in case", I don't look too long at the sun prior to taking the shot because even with filtering, I do not know what it takes to damage the retina, not to mention one's camera.

Last but not least, I leave in place the "UV Filter" that I have on the newer camera, which means the newer Canon will have Red Filter or welder's glass, plus UV filter in place for those moments around sunrise or sunset for pictures.

Also another thing I was ignorant about:  telephoto lenses.  My 13-year old camera has a decent telephoto capability and produces a fairly good sized sun when zoomed in, whereas the newer camera has a so-so telephoto capability, meaning when zoomed all the way in, the sun isn't nearly as large as that seen in the old camera.  So, if possible, try out the camera you are thinking about, before plunking down good money.  Also, I had wanted the new camera for photographing the iris of the eye.  Problem is I didn't try it out on an iris before buying and only after getting it home did I discover that the macro lens I bought separately was only 1X.  Gee, 1X is the same as useless as far as I am concerned!  Sorry for the rant, but thought you'd be interested in hearing experiences of others when buying a camera.
Good luck.

Thank you iLinda; I am just so far behind there's no catching up anymore. Now I've found out that my question us mute as what I had in mind is no longer visible ... but I have learned somethings new by reading your reply so I thank you!

GU

GenericUser

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 06:57:01 PM »

Good luck.

Thank you iLinda; I am just so far behind there's no catching up anymore. Now I've found out that my question us mute as what I had in mind is no longer visible ... but I have learned somethings new by reading your reply so I thank you!

GU

That should read "...is moot...." and not "...us mute...." Sorry about that.

ilinda

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 07:06:44 AM »

Thank you iLinda; I am just so far behind there's no catching up anymore. Now I've found out that my question us moot as what I had in mind is no longer visible ... but I have learned somethings new by reading your reply so I thank you!

GU

OK, maybe your photo target is no longer visible, but that only means it's somewhere else and might not be too far from its original site.  Plus, who knows how many objects are "behind" the sun that will emerge eventually and you'll get that chance.  That's how I'm looking at it.  Good luck!

GenericUser

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 07:52:35 PM »

Thank you iLinda; I am just so far behind there's no catching up anymore. Now I've found out that my question us moot as what I had in mind is no longer visible ... but I have learned somethings new by reading your reply so I thank you!

GU

OK, maybe your photo target is no longer visible, but that only means it's somewhere else and might not be too far from its original site.  Plus, who knows how many objects are "behind" the sun that will emerge eventually and you'll get that chance.  That's how I'm looking at it.  Good luck!

Dear iLinda,
I do indeed agree with what you've said, which gave me a smile because after viewing the Marshall Master's "PX Update #1" video I do not believe any of us will be playing around with cameras, telescopes, etc. but thank you for your optimism!
I am headed over to a topic I began months ago (hope I can find it)  to write a little bit about Intention Vortex and Prayer. You're welcome to come along  ;)
GenericUser

Home Study System

Home Study System
Save 30%

BUY NOW

The ideal win-win survival community library reference system offers a broad range of valuable survival skills and knowledge. Ideal those in preparedness, it provides in-depth knowledge about how to form communities and operate two-way communications.

For human needs, it also includes a low-impact energy self-healing art and an essential role for seniors in survival communities.

A special note for those of you living outside the United States, we optimized this system for the lowest possible Priority Mail costs.

4 Paperbacks and 6 DVDs

Win-Win Survival Communities Signed

Radio Free Earth Color (Color Editon) Signed

Complete Danjeon Breathing System w/6 DVDs

Survival Wellness Advocacy and the BIG WIN

BUY NOW