Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: North Korea nuclear tests 'could cause catastrophic volcanic eruption' ?  (Read 1136 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Yowbarb Note: The volcano image is from the Daily Star
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/north-korea-nuclear-tests-could-cause-catastrophic-volcanic-eruption/ar-BBpFgLA?ocid=spartanntp

North Korea nuclear tests 'could cause catastrophic volcanic eruption'

The Independent
7 hrs ago

Activists in South Korea have condemned the news of nuclear testing from Pyongang.
South Korean scientists have warned that nuclear tests allegedly being carried out by North Korea could cause a ‘catastrophic’ volcanic eruption near its test site.

In an academic paper, experts from Yonsei University, in Seoul, have said that the pressure of the force of a nuclear bomb being detonated underground could affect the magma of the Mount Paektu volcano, which is situated a mere 70 miles away.

The paper, published in the Nature journal, said: “An underground nuclear explosion test near an active volcano constitutes a direct threat to the volcano.

“North Korean nuclear explosions are expected to produce pressure changes of tens to hundreds of kilopascals, causing concern over the possible triggering of volcanic eruption.

“A nuclear test will probably exert a direct or indirect impact on volcanic activity at the mountain and this is worrisome.”

The scientists also warned that a previous eruption of the volcano was “one of the largest explosive events in human history”.

The 9,000 ft-high active volcano is on the border between North Korea and China and last erupted in 1903.

Last month, Pyongyang claimed to have carried out a successful hydrogen bomb test, with its state-run news agency Rodong Simnun claiming that the test was conducted using “indigenous wisdom, technology and efforts” and that it had been carried out in a “safe and perfect manner”.

South Korea reacted to the news by announcing it would restart propaganda broadcasts on loudspeakers across the border - something Kim Jong-un’s government has previously described as an act of war.

steedy

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: North Korea nuclear tests 'could cause catastrophic volcanic eruption' ?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 09:13:37 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if an underground nuclear test could disrupt a volcano.  I think the whole nuclear thing is way too dangerous and nobody should be playing with nuclear bombs.  What good can come out of dropping a nuclear bomb?  We all know they are devastating beyond what any government will say.  The area around Chernobyl is still radioactive, and that was just a nuclear power plant.  I think humanity got a hold of this technology long before we should have.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: North Korea nuclear tests 'could cause catastrophic volcanic eruption' ?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 09:16:29 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if an underground nuclear test could disrupt a volcano.  I think the whole nuclear thing is way too dangerous and nobody should be playing with nuclear bombs.  What good can come out of dropping a nuclear bomb?  We all know they are devastating beyond what any government will say.  The area around Chernobyl is still radioactive, and that was just a nuclear power plant.  I think humanity got a hold of this technology long before we should have.

steedy, no argument here. The first time I heard about nuclear testing, as a child, I thought, "that can't be good."
Later when I heard about underground testing I said, "what?!!"  "They do what?"

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!