Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: what is 'survival food' / what to think of  (Read 36445 times)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: what is 'survival food' / what to think of
« Reply #225 on: March 14, 2019, 04:26:02 PM »
Very much looking forward to that as well!  :)

Solani

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #226 on: March 19, 2019, 08:06:04 AM »
Very much looking forward to that as well!  :)

In regard to my liver pate'

When doing my monthly shopping yesterday, I did buy pork liver so, I'm getting the ingredients together to make my liver pate'. Will do the picture show and tell version.  8) I just need to clear off my counter space and scrub it down from my last hrmm... failed liquid soap experiment...  :o LOL Happy it was a cheap oil. When I bought what I thought was Olive oil last time, I didn't see that it was a blended oil and not a pure Olive oil, it didn't say how much was Olive oil but the other oil that was in it was Canola oil and I know that nearly all Canola oil here in Canada is GMO so, I thought I'd try my hand at making liquid soap to use as a all purpose cleaning soap. I've been fighting that thing for nearly 3 days and now it's going to the DUMP!  ;D I know what I did wrong so, I won't be doing that again. I had prepared everything, the oil and the KOH lye with water but, something came up and I didn't have time to put it all together and get it cooking so, it sat for 2 days before I had the time to get at it. I think during that time, the lye and water mixture must have lost most of its potency cause it didn't want to work at all when I put them together in the pot. Knew the soap was a failure but decided to keep on and try a few things. Added more KOH lye and water but, even if it did come together, it was very lye heavy so, I added some more oil to see if I could get the right proportions.... Tested it and it was no longer lye heavy, it was now to oil heavy... Oh well, now we know that, it wasn't a good idea to leave the lye/water for 2 days. I've left it before just over night to have both the oils and lye/water at room temperature and that works fine but, 2 days seems to be at least 1 day to much...

Anyhow, will be making my liver pate' some time this week!  ;D

//Solani
~In order to determine what is possible, one only needs to step out into what is considered impossible and look around...~
~I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change... I am changing the things I cannot accept~

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #227 on: March 19, 2019, 08:11:42 AM »
failed liquid soap experiment

But at least you're attempting something useful  :)

When you get around to the pate', will be especially interested in learning if it must be eaten immediately or if it is possible to store it longer term...

Solani

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #228 on: March 19, 2019, 08:21:35 AM »
failed liquid soap experiment

But at least you're attempting something useful  :)

When you get around to the pate', will be especially interested in learning if it must be eaten immediately or if it is possible to store it longer term...

Yes, you can store it long term as long as you store it in the freezer... You can store it raw in the form you will be baking it in, covered with tin foil and then in a zip lock bag. When you are going to bake it, you need to take it out of the freezer the day before and let it thaw on its own before popping it in the oven.

Or, you can bake it and then freeze it. I usually make quite a few small forms and bake them and then freeze them individually. They'll be quite OK in the freezer for at least 3 to 4 months. I wouldn't trust them for longer time than that since they do have cream and such in them. And there are no preservatives.

I love eating the finished baked pate' (cold) on a sandwich, topped with sweet bread pickles or, eat it hot as a main dish served with cooked potatoes, green beans and a thick brown gravy... YUMMY!!  ;D

//Solani
~In order to determine what is possible, one only needs to step out into what is considered impossible and look around...~
~I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change... I am changing the things I cannot accept~

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #229 on: March 19, 2019, 08:26:40 AM »
That sounds delicious!

It's good to know that it can be frozen, either pre-cooked or afterward.

Before all of my younger brothers were born and we had to watch our pennies carefully, my mother used to make me pate' sandwiches to take to school for lunch.  In retrospect, I'm not sure if it was such a good idea to let the sandwiches sit out of refrigeration in a lunch box that long, but I seem to have survived!  :)

Solani

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #230 on: March 19, 2019, 12:24:45 PM »
That sounds delicious!

It's good to know that it can be frozen, either pre-cooked or afterward.

Before all of my younger brothers were born and we had to watch our pennies carefully, my mother used to make me pate' sandwiches to take to school for lunch.  In retrospect, I'm not sure if it was such a good idea to let the sandwiches sit out of refrigeration in a lunch box that long, but I seem to have survived!  :)

LOL!!! Yep, I seriously think that 90% of the stuff that we were used to doing daily, "way back then"; would most likely kill most kids today... We had a totally different immune system. Which most, in my perhaps not so humble opinion has been killed off due to all the "vaccines", super cleaning agents, pesticides etc. etc. ad nausium(sp?)... and that kids today, at least most city kids anyway, aren't allowed to go play in the muck, get dirty from head to toe and eat mud-pies!  :o

//Solani

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #231 on: March 19, 2019, 01:24:56 PM »
Absolutely.  Our pediatrician advised us to let the boys eat dirt sometimes, which is a good thing because they did it anyway without being told... :P

Solani

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Dehydrating Dogfood // Liver, Kidney and other "innards" of Beef etc.
« Reply #232 on: March 24, 2019, 02:59:46 PM »
I'm sorry that I didn't take many pictures while I was dehydrating my last batch of Liver, Kidney and Spleen. I did however take a few pictures which I will include in this post. Next time I dehydrate "innards" I will take a whole picture series and show everything from cleaning the raw materials, to cutting, drying and packaging for long term storage.

I dehydrate some of the inner organs from Beef, Pigs. Sheep, Goats as well as from the wild game animals our friends and neighbors harvest for their food or to sell. For some reason, no one now days seem interested in taking care of these organs, not even those that are older farmers or cattle ranchers.

Since I am also thinking of our dogs and that they will need to have a good/high source of meat/protein with at least some of the necessary vitamins, (I have also stored up on dog specific vitamins and minerals which they would need if I don't have a good source of food for them) I decided to start dealing with those inner organs and dehydrate them both as dog treats as well as long term storage for the making of future SHTF dogfood. But, I also believe that these dehydrated organs most likely could be re-hydrated and used by us as a food source as well. Not really looking forward to it, but, will most likely be preferable to bugs…  ::)

When it comes to using the dehydrated organ meat as dogfood, I’m not worried about it going rancid, at least not when I consider my dog as as she is a Wolf/German Shepard Hybrid and so far, seems to have the stomach and system of the Wolf and able to more or less eat anything she finds out in the wild, regardless "condition", without it affecting her in any negative way. With us humans, it most likely would be a different story… We’ll cross that bridge when we reach it…

Anyhow, when I’ve brought home fresh Livers, Kidneys, Spleen and Tongue, as well as the cleanest/best fats, such as the fat that surrounds the kidney’s on all of the animals, which I render down and store for both food, soap making, making candles as well as saving some of the lower quality fats to  be able to use for keeping leather boots from cracking, making them more water resistant, oiling squeaky hinges, taking care of and protecting everything leather such as horses tackle and more. Always good to have a stash of even the not so clean and food grade fats that are able to store for long term.

Anyhow, I trim away all the parts on the organ meat that aren’t part of the actual organ, remove all the fats, sinews and what I call the “roots” where they have been attached to the rest of the innards inside the animal, until I have totally clean and pure pieces of liver, kidney etc. etc. I then slice them into as thin slices as I possibly can. Not that easy since the organs are quite soft but, I’ve gotten better and better at it. I have tried half freezing them first to make them more manageable but, find that the ice crystals that form in them can cause problems when dehydrating so, you do the best you can with the fresh organ meat.

I try to cut them in no larger strips than a half inch thick and then place the strips of organ meat on a couple of layers of paper towels and a couple of layers on top and try to press out as much moisture as I can, without squishing them to much…

From there, I place them on the racks/trays of my dehydrator, until I’ve filled up every tray/layer and turn the dehydrator on a bit over medium high and leave them that way. They need to dry much slower than when I’m making my pemmican, as the pemmican meat is much thinner since I use ground meat/beef that I’ve rolled out with a rolling pin. The organ meat slices are much thicker, and I want them to dry all the way through, and not just dry on the outside, to the point where it will be preventing the inside to dry.

Check every now and then and do a “bend/break test” but, count on it at least taking a good 10+ hours before you can start testing how dry they are. I usually let mine stay in the dehydrator on medium high over night, even if I know that they might be ready within a few hours, as I’d rather have them as dry as possible, preventing them from becoming rancid or go bad in some other way.

Once I am satisfied that they are dry all the way through by doing the break test and the strips breaking apart with a snap and not bending at all before they break. Test the biggest/thickest piece, if that one is done, so are the others. If that one is not done, don’t remove the others, just let them all dehydrate for another hour or whatever it takes.

Once I deem them all to be dehydrated (they will shrink a lot and become quite thin) I break them into smaller “dog treat” size. About a half inch in length. I put them into mason jars with an oxy absorber, store them in a dark place and forget about them for a few weeks. Just as a secondary precaution to make sure they are totally dry before I put them into mylar bags with a new oxy absorber and seal them.

I write what type of organ meat is in each mylar bag. It is sometimes difficult to see exactly what they were before being dehydrated and I want to know what is in each bag.

I store the dehydrated organ meat/dogfood/dog treats in a separate rubber tote from the rest of my foods. Mostly, just because I want to be able to just open a tote and see how much dogfood/treats I have.

Many that prep forget to prep for their pets too and even if I have 4 big bags of dried dogfood on rotation. When I open a bag, I buy a new one and place in the back of the other three, so that I know what age they are and can use them before the best before date has expired to much. I do follow the best before dates on dried dogfood, since it does have fat in it and will go rancid and not just loose its nutritional value, even if I know that commercial dogfood will last at least a year after the best before date. Our dogs do get dry commercial dogfood that they each have in one of their bowls, but they mostly get raw meat of various types along with bones. Nova, my wolf dog has grown up eating raw meats and that is what she prefers to eat if given the choice but, I still have good quality dry kibble that she can go and snack on whenever she wants. Dan’s dog was not used to eating raw when I came out here but, she’s used to it now and prefers that type of food as well. Over the years, I’ve always fed all my dogs raw as I’ve seen that they have functioned much better on a well assorted blend of raw meats and bone. But, each to their own.

When it comes to dehydrating the tongue of an animal, it is a bit different from dehydrating any of the internal organs. The tongue has much more fat in it and I strongly recommend cooking it for a few hours, letting it cool overnight and then slicing it to put in the dehydrator. If you dehydrate it raw, it will be very fatty dry slices and will not store well long term.

//Solani

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #233 on: March 24, 2019, 05:55:13 PM »
Solani, thanks so much for the details and photos!  It's good to be thinking of our pets' special needs, rather than waiting til the last minute to consider them.

Dehydrating is something I'd be interested in learning more about.  I have dried herbs just by hanging them up in bouquets til they're needed, and once I dehydrated a batch of berries in a warm oven, and they lasted a few minutes until I discovered that they were a scrumptious snack...

Will need some self-discipline to have any for storage  ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 06:36:00 PM by R.R. Book »

Solani

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #234 on: March 24, 2019, 07:09:12 PM »
Solani, thanks so much for the details and photos!  It's good to be thinking of our pets' special needs, rather than waiting til the last minute to consider them.

Dehydrating is something I'd be interested in learning more about.  I have dried herbs just by hanging them up in bouquets til they're needed, and once I dehydrated a batch of berries in a warm oven, and they lasted a few minutes until I discovered that they were a scrumptious snack...

Will need some self-discipline to have any for storage  ;)

LOL!!!  :D Yeah, I know aaaaalll about self-discipline... (Can you tell I'm lying through my teeth?)  :P Thankfully, most of what I dehydrate, isn't something that I particularly enjoy snacking on...  ;D But, this summer I will be doing a lot of dehydrating fruits and berries so... I guess we'll find out.  ;)

I have another "how to" with pictures of when I was dehydrating the GIANT puffball mushroom I found this past summer. Can say that when I'd found that "monster", I called it a day and brought it home. Had found two smaller ones before I found the mother of all puffballs but they were both full of spores and got junked. I was very surprised to find that the big one was pure white all the way through.

I can post that one if you want??  :D

Dehydrating is quite easy. It's the preparations that take some time. Other than that, the dehydrator does all the work. Have realized that I need to buy a few more, or a larger one. However, the one I have is one of the cheapest ones and it does the job so, I'll most likely buy 2 more of those. Some people buy more trays and stack them higher but, I guess I could do that too but I'd rather have a few more so that I can dry more than one type of food stuffs at the same time, without mixing them in the same dryer.

I've done the oven method too and it works quite well. I just feel that it's safer to leave the dehydrator on if I have to go out than leave the oven door cracked open being that the dogs might still be in the house and the stove/oven is propane. Can see many things going wrong that I'd rather not they did... :o

I'm not a pro in any way when it comes to dehydrating. I'm learning as I go but, if there is anything you want to know, that I might be able to answer, ask away.

//Solani

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #235 on: March 25, 2019, 04:29:28 AM »
Wow to the giant mushroom!

Please do share more as you get around to it - we all love your posts and learn so much from them!  :)

Solani

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Dehydrating Puffball Mushrooms
« Reply #236 on: March 25, 2019, 12:38:29 PM »
Dehydrating Puffball Mushrooms

I was out last summer on one of my regular Fall foraging hunts for everything berries, herbs, nuts and mushrooms. I love searching for mushrooms, even if I steer clear from those that I’m not 100% sure of what they are. I used to have an app when I had my cellphone that I would use when I was out foraging in the forest while I was living in Sweden but, no cell service out here and can’t connect to the database so…

I have several mushroom books that I have found in Dan’s extensive library of mostly old books, how to books and many other books that will be very useful when things “go south”. But, I really don’t feel like lugging a big book along with me when I’m out and about around here. I do pick some of the ones that I “think” might be eatable and store them in a separate container, and not mix them with the ones that I KNOW are good to eat, so that I can look them up when I get back home. Most of the time, when I’ve found in one of the mushroom books what I think to be a match to those mushrooms, they are eatable but, there is no lack of the ones that I know are good so, I haven’t bothered picking those. I’ve just made a mental note of where they can be found and in what conditions they grow, for future reference if I would need them.

When I’ve dug out/built my underground root cellar/bunker, I will be buying some of the different types of “spores” you can purchase online and seeing if I can get them to grow and thrive in our “bunker”. I can’t see any reason why I wouldn’t be able to get at least some of the easier variations to grow in a mostly dark environment so, that will be a future science project.

On my last foraging run this past summer I had first found 2 nice size puffball mushrooms, that I felt were of a decent size. In Sweden, you never find any that are bigger than perhaps a tennis ball. What you do find is mostly the golf ball size and then they go to “seed/spore” and you can’t eat them. Well, you probably could but, I really don’t think you’d do it again… :o

I know that once you’ve found one mushroom of a specific type, there usually are more to be found in the area so, I kept looking. I was walking along the line where one of our hay fields buts up against the forest and saw something “whitish” in the distance but, thought that it was most likely some type of white rock. Didn’t even suspect it could be a puffball as from that distance, it looked way to big. Was walking in that direction anyway so as I got closer to “it”, I could start to see the specific features of it and the closer I got I remember thinking WOW… That thing must be full of spores and ready to pop… Got up to it and “thumped” on it and it sounded like a ripe watermelon so, I cut the stem on the bottom side off it and boy was that “thing” heavy. Carried it in my arms all the way home and remember thinking, if you’re not eatable, I’m going to be very “ticked off”. Weighed it when I got back home and it weighed in at just shy of 15 pounds. (6.8 kilos)

That was the last puffball I found last season, and, in all honesty, I didn’t feel like I needed more, at least not that year…  ;D

I plopped all 3 of the puffballs in the wheelbarrow when I walked past it while heading towards the house and of course Nova, that hadn’t been out in the woods with me had to investigate what the heck I’d brought home. Wish I could train her like I trained one of my previous dogs to help me find both berries and mushrooms. Made finding them much easier… LOL

Took a few pictures out on the front lawn of these puffballs, just to have future reference of what they looked like and to be able to compare size from a “normal” size puffball to an “extreme” size PUFFBALL…

Was disappointed when I got in the kitchen and cut open the two smaller puffballs, only to find that they were already full of spores. I did slice them down and the day after brought them back to where I had found them and put them on the ground to be able to spread their spores and hopefully I’ll be able to harvest more puffballs from that location. If it works, it works, if it doesn’t, I at least tried…

I didn’t have much hope that the big puffball was going to be eatable, since the smaller ones weren’t but, much to my surprise, when I cut the big one in half, it was pure white all the way through. Proves that it doesn’t matter what size they are when they decide to go to spore. Don’t think this one would have gotten much bigger though, before starting its spore cycle.

I cut it up in one-inch thick slices for the most part. Had to quarter it to make it more manageable. I did leave one BIG STEAK for me to barbeque, slathered with garlic oil and some salt and ooooh was that tasty. I am very grateful that Dan does not like any type of mushroom so, they're all MINE… LOL I also gave two big slices/steaks to our butcher friends wife as she also loves puffballs but lives in town and rarely if ever finds them.

Anyhow… I sliced them first and then took my paring knife and just removed the outer skin of the mushroom and then cut the slices into fairly even cubes.

Loaded them onto the racks/trays of my dehydrator and turned it on between medium and high and let them sit for about 8 hours. Did a test and decided to let them sit for one more hour and then took one of the bigger cubes that now were more “hourglass shaped” and they were dry all the way through.

Filled one-quart Mason jars, added an oxy absorber and have stored them in my bottom corner cabinet and left them there. I haven’t put them in mylar bags yet, as I am using them when I cook, and I want some mushrooms in whatever portion of what we’ll be having for dinner. Once in liquid such as broth, stew or pasta Sause, it doesn’t take long for them to turn back into cubes and the taste and consistency is nearly the same as if they were fresh. So, this is something I’ll be making more of when I find. I will also be on the watch for other types of mushrooms at the store when they are on sale. Not really the kind that I can find out here but more the “exotic” ones, or some of those that I know are out here but haven’t dared to try yet. Also want to try some of the mushrooms that I’m thinking about buying the spores for and growing, so I know if I like them before growing large amounts of them.

//Solani

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #237 on: March 25, 2019, 03:57:18 PM »
Excellent visuals Solani!  Have never in my life seen a 'shroom that size!  :)

Am feeling inspired to try dehydrating my own mushrooms now, as they are expensive to purchase already dried, and about half of my recipes call for them...

Solani

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #238 on: March 25, 2019, 04:54:15 PM »
Excellent visuals Solani!  Have never in my life seen a 'shroom that size!  :)

Am feeling inspired to try dehydrating my own mushrooms now, as they are expensive to purchase already dried, and about half of my recipes call for them...

I'd never seen a mushroom that big either, that's why when I saw it off in the distance, I thought it was a whitish rock or something... Even though Dan has told me that you can find ones that are even bigger than that one, you really don't believe it until you're actually holding one in your hand and feel the weight of it.

Yes, go for it! Shroom's are easy to dehydrate, just don't wash them first, just use a soft brush or the likes and brush off any dirt, leaves or other plant materials. I was very pleasantly surprised that once reconstituted, it didn't taste like something that had been dehydrated and was almost the exact same texture as if I'd cooked/prepared a fresh one.

//Solani

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #239 on: March 25, 2019, 06:06:17 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up not to wash them first, and also for the reassurance that they reconstitute well!

Am getting all psyched up to get started now!  :)

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY NOW

In a post-global disaster world, predators and tyrants will have the best two-way radios, and they'll use them to surveil you at a comfortable distance.

What will you have? Signal flares and red bandannas?

If so, when you least expect it, the predators and tyrants will come to take a spoil and they will torture, rape, and kill without mercy.

This is why Radio Free Earth authors Marshall Masters and Duane W. Brayton have an urgent message for everyone with a serious interest in preparedness. That being, analog RF (radio frequency) is the heartbeat of freedom. Accept no substitutes.

Watch our free videos to learn how to stay safe and free with an affordable strategy for two way communication, both near and far.

Welcome to Radio
Free Earth

Why Radio
Free Earth

Post-Disaster
Communications

Citizens Band Radios
for Survival

BUY NOW