Win-Win Survival Communities The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Radio Free Earth

Author Topic: Survival survey: where do you store your stuff?  (Read 16291 times)

Alfred Williams

• Members
  • Prolific Member
Re: Survival survey: where do you store your stuff?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 11:51:32 AM »
Until the tsunami I felt comfortable with a safe room mentality but now I know The land will be scoured beyond recognition so I will secure stuff and take flight. Question is when to move and where to. I am too low to be safe. Good Luck to all{{:>)
It is not what you know.
It is what you do with what you know!!

Deathanyl

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 02:46:12 PM »
Use high ground to make stashes and you can anchor items in water tight barrels under the water, they should weather any common natural disaster. and can be scooba'd for later old smugglers trick!

Linda

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 03:47:45 PM »
Lots of great ideas from everyone, and yes if we have tsunamis that could cause a big problem for our stashes. That is why we have to try and locate  ourselves on higher elevations. Thanks for everyone's imput.

Linda

reborn69leo

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 04:10:46 PM »
I know this thread is about storing supplies and necessities, currently I am storing food and camping supplies in big plastic totes that have everything in them that can easily be moved from home to vehicle or even buried underground if necessary.  The totes are taped up and sealed with silicone.  They can easily be moved across water by floating them.  I suppose my biggest issue is how far up to be and which locations are better.  (We currently live in a city in central CA, two hours from the Sierra Nevada's or two hours from the coastline.)  My family thinks I am crazy and are not on board with all of this, because we live in California it is easy to store food and supplies "in the case of an earthquake or other disaster".  However, I really feel the urge to move out of California.   :)

Deathanyl

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 10:34:17 AM »
you do 4 sure!!! best of luck with the move. Personally i tell folks the majority of the west will be ruined either from shore based water attacks, or from the massive volcano in yellowstone, and it's 4 state big caldera which will collapse once the lava is expelled sinking theses 4 states and all the folks foolish enough to be there. And the gulf states will also be washed clean, maybe sooner if the shelf collapses (thanks BP) So if your talking staying in america you reall have to go into the heart land or the Eastern Mountains.

It's hard to tell family and others of why your moving, so don't as it just opens you up to ridicule, I'd find a place you want to relocate to and do the internet job hunting thing there, get a gig, then move, outwardly it's to move to a less crowded area and you have a new job, this will allow you to build in secret, and without nay-sayers giving you doubt! Then once it's visible in the sky contact those back home you care about and see if they want to come visit, if they do, then tell them and save them at the same time, if they don't then you did what you can and as long as you have a few pics and your memories it's not your fault that is all that remains of them in the time after.

Icon

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 02:20:49 PM »
Will add my 2 cents here. If things unfold as the experts describe, from PX, and or a planetary alignment, 95 percent of homes will not exist anymore.
And storing enough food and supplies for a couple years will not be nearly enough. In my opinion,  you need a minimum of five years, and the ability to renew your food with gardening and raising animals after the disaster is past.
It could be several years before any agriculture could started, and then only in limited production.
Do not look for the government to help any, as their priorities will be themselves, and those they have chosen to start civilization over with.
Hunting will be out, as animal life will be severely depleted. If you have room and can keep a few rabbits, chickens and other food sources to raise, that would be a big plus.
I suggest if you don't have a bunker, and one large enough to store all of your supplies, filling water/air tight containers and burying or stashing them in remote areas will be a good idea.
If this area is not one you will be at during the flyby/alignment, it needs to be one you will be able to reach afterwards, probably traveling by foot. It needs to have a water source, place to grow crops and easily defended.
Storing supplies is not an easy task, and the expense of doing so is sometimes as costly as the supplies themselves. Picking the right spot is even harder.

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 06:14:25 PM »
I'll jump in on this also, Icon. If you survive this mess, and want to garden, it might be best to have small gardens for a while, in the middle of high fields, so they aren't easily sighted. To maintain defense, you don't want anything visible that says "humans are alive and well, here".  Everything you do, will have to be done with great discretion. It shouldn't take too long, and the "vultures" will have either left the area, as there are no resources they could locate, or they died off. The longer time goes on without problems, the more you can expand what you're doing.  You might even try some gardening amongst the field weeds, as if the plants are growing wild.  Our gardens usually looked that way, by the mid season, as my lazy brothers wouldn't help much.haha

noproblemo2

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 06:23:49 PM »
We have 2 large inside planters with live trees going into the earth so have started potatoes in them, so far so good. DH thought I was nuts when I did that, but likes the green stems now.... LOL

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 06:33:31 PM »
Susan, you seem to have a good grasp of things.  ed

noproblemo2

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 06:55:51 PM »
I'm sure trying that's for sure... Love reading all ideas here, as many know due to Dh's health re-locating is out of the question so my reality is to be as prepared as I can in place and hope for the best scenario.

Deathanyl

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 06:56:54 PM »
Also learning how to grow with little to no sun light knowing which fungus is edible and how to grow with artificial light if you plan on having some source of power, a 600 watt metal halide light with one ballast won't cost much more then a 100 now but after will be invaluable, buy a few spare bulbs say 10 per socket, and 1 spare ballast, this little set up could keep you and up to five others well fed year round with greens. :o

noproblemo2

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 07:33:37 PM »
We are solar elec. and solar hot water, anyone know how they may hold up during the solar storm that is expected?

Ed Douglas

• Senior
  • Prolific Member
  • Resistance is Futile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 08:22:12 AM »
One thing on our side, is that the sun is 93 million miles away, and it takes most solar CME's and such, at least 48 hours to reach us here. That is enough warning to unhook and protect any electric or electronic components we can. There are no rules 'written in stone', on this.  A CME as big as they say, might get here much quicker.  ed

_cj_

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2010, 10:33:32 AM »
hi susan - as far as i am aware when a 1 in 100 year event happens we get massive charge which can be conducted though cabling - the longer the cable the more likely to pick up this charge - you will pobably be ok 99.9% of the time - if we do get a power grid spike, the power companies will probably have taken everything offline beforehand.

in the event of a power spike your circuit breakers should take the hit rather than your equipment

on the flip side - if you do get notification of a massive cme strike - it ceratinly wont hurt to shut everythng down

Regards,

alex

p.s - one thing to take offline is your computer though - breakers dont trip fast enough to save cpu's

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:35:46 AM by _cj_ »

noproblemo2

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2010, 11:02:01 AM »
Thanks, appreciate all the info I can get here.

Home Study System

Home Study System
Save 30%

BUY NOW

The ideal win-win survival community library reference system offers a broad range of valuable survival skills and knowledge. Ideal those in preparedness, it provides in-depth knowledge about how to form communities and operate two-way communications.

For human needs, it also includes a low-impact energy self-healing art and an essential role for seniors in survival communities.

A special note for those of you living outside the United States, we optimized this system for the lowest possible Priority Mail costs.

4 Paperbacks and 6 DVDs

Win-Win Survival Communities Signed

Radio Free Earth Color (Color Editon) Signed

Complete Danjeon Breathing System w/6 DVDs

Survival Wellness Advocacy and the BIG WIN

BUY NOW