Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: Cats  (Read 169 times)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Cats
« on: April 24, 2019, 06:57:31 AM »
Every homestead needs a cat or two to keep rodents away from food supplies, as well as keeping their fleas and droppings away from the house.

This thread is dedicated to that important member of the family  :)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Cats
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 07:09:50 AM »
There has been much debate and experimentation in our household as to whether to apply off-the-shelf flea and tick medication to our two cats.

We've suffered a few times in the past with indoor flea outbreaks for lack of more diligent attention to this issue.  It seems that we can get away without chemicals for a while, and then boom, we're infested.

While we've tried various herbal solutions, we're not completely sold on the results yet.  One historic B & B in the area grows catmint amidst pennyroyal in the garden, in hopes that its numerous cats will roll on both and not bring fleas and ticks indoors.  They have had mixed results.

Having a childhood friend who awoke one morning to discover that her dog had died after becoming hung on a fence by his flea collar, I'm reluctant to use collars on the cats.

Chemical "topspots" lose their effectiveness every now and then, and need to be reformulated, meaning stronger in some cases.  We have found the Frontline Plus to be too strong for our smaller cat, burning her neck so severely that she loses fur and blisters badly.  The larger kitty can tolerate it, but it seems to make him tired for a day or two. 

So in the interest of keeping fleas and ticks out of the house, and the many diseases which they harbor, we have opted to apply topspot only to the larger cat, and only from April 1 through October 1.  Because the drug is effective for a distance from the medicated cat, he is able to walk throughout the house killing the blood suckers wherever they may be hiding, meaning that the smaller cat is protected without needing to be dosed.

As flea and tick control will be crucial in the Aftertime, we may need to be stocking some sort of prevention method ahead of time.

What have others experienced?

This brand is identical to Frontline, but much less expensive.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 05:16:55 AM by R.R. Book »

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 07:22:19 AM »
Both of our cats came down with a skin rash beneath their fur after receiving vaccinations last year, and nothing seemed to clear the condition up until we planted chives indoors in the autumn in a sunny window, which the cats enjoy looking out of.

We were surprised to discover that the cats took an immediate liking to the chives, and would eat them down to the bare soil throughout the winter.  Fortunately the plants would bounce back quickly.

Am guessing that not only did the chives provide the nutrients of fresh greens, but also all of the medicinal qualities of alliums.  We have not seen any toxic effects, but their coats are sleek and the cats no longer have skin rashes.

Will be interested to see what happens with the next set of vaccinations.  We only permit rabies and feline distemper shots, and have requested that they be given separately, one at a time, in the future.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 05:42:17 AM by R.R. Book »

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 12:36:45 PM »
We've suffered a few times in the past with indoor flea outbreaks for lack of more diligent attention to this issue.  It seems that we can get away without chemicals for a while, and then boom, we're infested.

Here is an interesting experience:  An owner of a Spooky2-Scalar device took one flea from his cat, crushed it, and put it on the plate of the S2S transmitter.  He said that immediately the cat had no fleas.

S2S is expensive as a one-time outlay,  but usage requires only minor electrical power thereafter.  I have one and sleep in it's scalar field.  That, or something, is working for me.  (Age 85 and no meds nor MD visits in last 20 years - ever since I got back to USA and took charge of my own health.)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 02:12:37 PM »
Awesome Jim!  And spooky as the name implies, regarding the way the field conveyed the intent of the squished flea from the unit to the cat...

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 03:18:06 PM »

I'm still not sold on cats. I once got me one and it refused to hunt. And then i learn about all of the destruction cats have caused, in fact wiping out entire ecosystems in some cases.
Just as rabbits that were introduced into Australia, goats on Rapa Nui, etc. etc., but being on the top of the food chain, cats are even more destructive when they go out hunting every night taking out lizards and the like (that might otherwise be eating insects).

I have to wonder whether they're worth the trouble. My allergy to their hair is another issue. And aside from hay fever i used to get, it's the only allergy i've ever had to contend with.
I wonder if a 'brave new world' would be better off with or without cats. Their existence could very well threaten variety in the ecosystem surrounding where they live, thereby leading to subtle but real imbalances (that weaken the system's ability to withstand incidents like drought or disease).
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 04:00:57 PM »
Very interesting perspective Soc. :)

Perhaps mostly-indoor felines might have less of a negative impact on the environment?  Mine do all of their mice-catching in the root cellar, though they have brought in a few young snakes and a chipmunk...

I used to be extremely allergic to cats until I got my first one some years back.  Am usually allergic to subsequent new cats at first, as well.  But there seems to be a mysterious and relatively quick adaptation to each new one after a brief period of acclimation, in which cat + human love somehow neutralizes the immune response.

As long as I don't smooch them too much and end up with fur in my eyes ::)

I suppose such conquest on the part of the cats makes me their vassal in some respects... 8)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: indoor cats
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 11:23:53 PM »
Perhaps mostly-indoor felines might have less of a negative impact on the environment?
Some always will go feral [cats aren't actually tame so that's not accurate: they're wild already and therefore cannot become feral] but even those attached to human household might breed in the wild. But forget the wild, they will breed and what to do with all those kittens?
Their breeding cannot be contained like that of dogs since they'll always be going out at night doing their cat thing.

Cat lovers are of course biased but common sense and logic suggest they are a real environmental hazard.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 04:38:02 AM »
Totally agree about feral breeders.  We keep our fixed cats indoors at night, and only allow them out briefly in the daytime with supervision (for exposure to sunlight, fresh air, and exercise). 

I'm a big proponent of spaying and neutering, unless an owner wants to allow two house cats to produce one litter so that the mother can fulfill her maternal instincts and complete her life cycle (I believe The Natural Cat suggested this way back when that book was published).

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 05:47:24 AM by R.R. Book »

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 11:55:16 AM »

BTW, That's a really nice portrait Soc!  :)

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY NOW

In a post-global disaster world, predators and tyrants will have the best two-way radios, and they'll use them to surveil you at a comfortable distance.

What will you have? Signal flares and red bandannas?

If so, when you least expect it, the predators and tyrants will come to take a spoil and they will torture, rape, and kill without mercy.

This is why Radio Free Earth authors Marshall Masters and Duane W. Brayton have an urgent message for everyone with a serious interest in preparedness. That being, analog RF (radio frequency) is the heartbeat of freedom. Accept no substitutes.

Watch our free videos to learn how to stay safe and free with an affordable strategy for two way communication, both near and far.

Welcome to Radio
Free Earth

Why Radio
Free Earth

Post-Disaster
Communications

Citizens Band Radios
for Survival

BUY NOW