Win-Win Survival Communities The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Radio Free Earth

Author Topic: Is there really any point in buying gold or silver?  (Read 12294 times)

lwnottingham

Re: Is there really any point in buying gold or silver?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 11:45:32 AM »
Addiction is a powerful thing, and as the supply of cigarettes dwindles in the aftertime, their value would surely increase thus giving you more bargaining power.

Montanabarb

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 01:08:08 PM »
Addiction is a powerful thing, and as the supply of cigarettes dwindles in the aftertime, their value would surely increase thus giving you more bargaining power.

I don't think I could ever bring myself to provide (exchange) the very things (cigarettes) that are causing my daughter's death, no matter how badly the addict wanted them. That's like "sleeping with the enemy" or worse. However, I'm not so prejudiced against brandy or other alcohol. It can authentically be used as medicine, anesthetic and antiseptic.

Montanabarb

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 01:17:04 PM »
I keep thinking about "The Road" reading this topic. Eventually it seems everyone was forced from their homes either by running out of supplies or out of desperation/fear that they had to keep moving. Even after finding a bunker full of food, the main characters still fled out of fear of being found.

Portability is the key, IMHO. Until you stumble across a community willing to take you in. I shudder to think what life will be like, but again IMHO "The Road" is probably a real good guess. I'm afraid even good Christian folk will have to endure a while before the "biblical rapture" takes place. None shall be spared at first...

Did you find it interesting that when the father in "The Road" found the bag of gold Kruggerands in the bunker, he looked at them with nostalgia and left them behind?

On another note, in one version of the biblical quote, it says "Weeping, they cast their gold into the streets, for it had become cankerous" or you could read that "cancerous."  Gold is highly susceptible to radioactive contamination--more so than most other metals.   

lwnottingham

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 01:36:29 PM »

I don't think I could ever bring myself to provide (exchange) the very things (cigarettes) that are causing my daughter's death, no matter how badly the addict wanted them. That's like "sleeping with the enemy" or worse. However, I'm not so prejudiced against brandy or other alcohol. It can authentically be used as medicine, anesthetic and antiseptic.

I can understand why it maybe difficult to trade in something that has caused you so much heartache. My father died from passive smoking after never having touched a cigarette in his life. In fact it was the first confirmed case of death from passive smoking in four years in my city. To make matters worse I myself work for a major tobacco manufacturer and was going through the application process for this job when he was diagnosed with lung and brain cancer. But he continually said to me if I don't take the job somebody else will, cigarettes were there before and will be there after his death.
People can die from alcohol addiction, tobacco addiction, even food addiction. I certainly would not rule out trading in cigarettes if it can give me and my family an advantage in the aftertime, just my opinion.

neoslim

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 12:07:59 PM »
I keep thinking about "The Road" reading this topic. Eventually it seems everyone was forced from their homes either by running out of supplies or out of desperation/fear that they had to keep moving. Even after finding a bunker full of food, the main characters still fled out of fear of being found.

Portability is the key, IMHO. Until you stumble across a community willing to take you in. I shudder to think what life will be like, but again IMHO "The Road" is probably a real good guess. I'm afraid even good Christian folk will have to endure a while before the "biblical rapture" takes place. None shall be spared at first...

I love that movie but it was so depressing. For anyone who advocates anarchy I hope they watch that movie because The Road was the best depiction of what anarchy certainly looks like. I do think if and when society collapses and anarchy sets in there will come the world government which will look to restore order and you can be sure people will be so terrified that they will give up their freedoms for security. I simply can't be a part of any global government (dictatorship). Unless Jesus himself comes and sets up his kingdom I think democracy is the only solution. I am not for anarchy nor am I for dictatorship. The only way to fight both anarchy and dictatorship is with democracy, and a coming together of all people. Peaceful resistance, non-involvement, and non- violence are the only ways to fight dictatorship.

R.R. Book

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2019, 02:51:42 PM »
Adding a loose summary of the discussion on this thread:

In a hyperinflationary environment / currency inflation or devaluation / real estate deflation

While risk-takers dump bonds and flee to stocks, for a while anyway, a non-risk-taking prepper may instead choose to:

*Purchase and hide physical gold and silver to store today's value for tomorrow (preserving principal and purchasing power)

Some risk: Exchange controls could be implemented or tightened; true value could be artificially suppressed

*Withdraw bank savings as cash, until cash is worthless (preserving principal, mobility, fungibility** and anonymity)

Some risk: Fire, rapid loss of value in unstable economy, theft

*Convert savings/earnings to storable commodities, durable goods, and a safe shelter - things that preppers buy (preserving life and comfort in an emergency, as well as barter ability)

Some risk: Fire, theft, spoilage, pests, less fungibility** in the short-term, reduced mobility

**Vocabulary: Fungibility is the ease with which a recognized store of value can be exchanged in order to make purchases or pay debts.  "Cash is king" means dollars are most fungible in a normal economic environment.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 04:04:08 PM by R.R. Book »

R.R. Book

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2019, 11:21:33 AM »
Adding a 4th suggestion as a possibly safe place to store a portion of savings:

Pay utility bills several months ahead, or pay extra on account.  Not too far ahead, as a utility company collapse is not entirely out of the question. 

Another suggestion is to use a portion of savings to pay insurance policies ahead of time, although utilities may be more stable than insurance companies (we've seen some insurance companies fold recently).

Yet another suggestion is to use savings to pay any owed taxes early (or pay on account), such as property taxes.  Again, am not suggesting that they be paid up too far in advance, as we don't know what a collapse might do to each county's ability to collect taxes, but it would likely take quite a lot of SHTF to cause the Assessor to give up.

None of the above can be construed as being investments, but merely means of preserving principal from losses or lack of availability by such means as a bail-in (funds legally confiscated by banks), fire, theft, power outage, Internet outage, etc.

Other suggestions welcome...

« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 11:45:32 AM by R.R. Book »

R.R. Book

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2019, 11:40:56 AM »
My husband has weighed in and partially disagrees with my previous post, on the grounds that in a hyperinflationary environment, money is worth more today than tomorrow, so that paying non-interest-accruing recurring bills ahead of time would be more to the payee's advantage than our own.

He did, however, concede that paying recurring bills ahead might be advantageous if a discount price can be obtained from the payee, such as in the case of property taxes.

In lieu of paying utilities ahead, investing in utility stocks might be a stable option, with a low but dependable return, such as retirees often do.

All thoughts welcome.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 12:19:19 PM by R.R. Book »

Jimfarmer

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2019, 12:22:19 PM »
All thoughts welcome.

IF economic and social disruption after the pole (crust) shift are as severe as predicted by zetatalk and the book "Mass Dreams of the Future" (C. Snow, 1989),  then there will be no stock market, no banks,  no functioning utilities, no stores, no law enforcement, no hospitals, etc. etc.  Gold and silver will be useless.

However, Ascension and assistance by ETs will mitigate conditions for service-to-other individuals (only).

R.R. Book

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2019, 12:56:34 PM »
That's a good perspective Jim. 

Maybe one of the best ways to position ourselves for STO opportunities then is to choose the option of converting cash entirely to food/necessities ahead of time, perhaps enough to feed more than just one's own family. 

I really like Solani's thought about taking in orphaned children in the Aftertime, and sufficient preps ahead of time would go a long way toward facilitating that. 

One of her recent posts though did mention that it's probably not possible to just feed stray adults once or on a limited basis and then turn them away.  Once food or shelter sharing is begun, it will be expected until supplies run out completely.  Maybe that's where the heavenly benefactors come in?

https://planetxtownhall.com/index.php/topic,7140.msg109808.html#msg109808
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 01:52:03 PM by R.R. Book »

R.R. Book

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2019, 01:27:22 PM »
Adding more info about the book that Jim recommended above:

Free .pdf linked here:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x519ssc

As we near the end of the 20th century and embark on a new millennium, Earth is undergoing a profound apocalyptic evolutionary change. Confirming the momentous changes to come is the amazing agreement of both ancient and modern prophecies in "mass dreams", including prophecies from all the major world religions and cultures.
~Amazon editorial review

Solani

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2019, 05:26:28 PM »
That's a good perspective Jim. 

Maybe one of the best ways to position ourselves for STO opportunities then is to choose the option of converting cash entirely to food/necessities ahead of time, perhaps enough to feed more than just one's own family. 

I really like Solani's thought about taking in orphaned children in the Aftertime, and sufficient preps ahead of time would go a long way toward facilitating that. 

One of her recent posts though did mention that it's probably not possible to just feed stray adults once or on a limited basis and then turn them away.  Once food or shelter sharing is begun, it will be expected until supplies run out completely.  Maybe that's where the heavenly benefactors come in?

https://planetxtownhall.com/index.php/topic,7140.msg109808.html#msg109808

Yes, it will be difficult to share our preps with whomever knocks on our door. It will most likely mean you will be stuck with that person/family until your own pantry/preps is/are empty. I am not saying that I won’t help ANYONE or turn away everyone that asks for help. What I will do is try to find out if this person/family/group is someone that would somehow be a valuable addition to our community, share in the workload, has various skills etc. If so, and our group/community would agree on that we believe they could be trusted. Not trusted with everything, that type of trust would have to be earned over time. I would not only help them but, offer them a permanent place within our community after an initial trial period, which after that trial period the community leaders would discuss and vote on if they would become full members or, if they have to leave or, if it would help to talk to them about what they’re doing or not doing to pull their weight in the community. However, there is always the risk when turning someone away, that they will tell others how to find us. But, turning them away immediately, could also result in them telling others that “Hey, those guys have food but are hoarding and not sharing”. Things can get ugly real fast… On the other hand, you can’t go shooting everyone that asks for help…

When it comes to the lone children, Yes, I believe it will be VITAL and extremely important once SHTF that we will need to care for those children that are left on their own, which have for whatever reason lost their parents or other guardian figure. Our children as well as the orphaned children ARE the survival of our species and our future. However, there are also other reasons why I feel that it will be very important to take these orphaned children in as soon as possible.

I had planned on writing a post on the reasons why I believe this to be vital, other than that they need us, and we will need them for the survival of the human species. We will need to teach them, guide them, instill in them moral values, right from wrong and all what that entails…

A young child that somehow manages to survive on its own, or within a group of other children, without the guidance of an adult/community, will NOT develop any form of moral values. Why would they? In a survival situation, moral values will only get in the way from instinctually doing what you have to do to survive…  If you think that the roamer or looter will be a danger, those will be nothing compared to what these children will become when they’ve been on their own for perhaps years…. Morals or right from wrong are not something we are born with, it is something that we have learned from our parents/collective. A wild child WILL do whatever it takes to survive and not give it a second thought. Furthermore, if said child has survived on thier own for a prolonged period, he/she will not see any reason why they should conform to the values of an established community... Why would they? They've made it so far on their own and not had to conform to any "man made" rules or values. They would not be able to see any value in abiding by any other rules than those that they have managed to survive on...

A human child when born is a blank slate or empty hard drive if you prefer that term. The only instinct a human child is born with is to search for their mother’s nipple… Everything it is to become when it grows up, such as values, morals, socially accepted behaviour is learnt from the collective he or she is brought up within. I know many will disagree with me but, this is something that I KNOW to be true. I’ve been there, and it took many years to deprogram my first 4 years and LEARN what is socially acceptable behaviour…

This is one reason why I am also prepping for the care of these children. I am buying from second hand/thrift stores everything I can find that I can afford to buy that a growing child/children, boys and girls will need. Be it clothes, shoes, jackets, books, learning materials, games, you name it, If I will need it for the care and teaching of a child, I will buy it, or try to find ones that I can afford. Same with bedding, blankets, sheets, pillows etc. etc. etc.

Many might find this cold, however, I honestly care far more about children than I would any adult because I know what they will be going through and I believe with all my heart, that I know how to deal with those needs based on my own sh*t I’ve had to deal with and am still in some cases dealing with daily… Social behaviour can many times be only skin deep in order to “fit in”…

But, most of all, what these children will need is love and acceptance, and lots of it…

//Solani

~In order to determine what is possible, one only needs to step out into what is considered impossible and look around...~
~I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change... I am changing the things I cannot accept~

R.R. Book

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2019, 06:13:39 PM »
Rather than finding your philosophy cold Solani, I find it to be practical triage. 

Not sure that anyone will come our way here.  Though we're not completely isolated in the countryside, folks get lost trying to find us, as they must wind around a hill until they get near the top.  There are so many easier places to get to than this one.

So STO for us may need to involve a more deliberate outreach, and am still trying to envision how that will play out.  Maybe when the time comes, we'll just know it and step up to the plate as opportunities present themselves.

My most important STO right now involves caring for a family that lost a baby under tragic circumstances.  Have been caring for them for nearly 6 years, and in doing so, their 5 other children have become my adoptive grandchildren.  Other than that, am finding this to be a very quiet time of life, and a much needed chance for inward and outward preparation.

Thank you for your clear vision of things Solani.  Lots to think about from both you and Jim tonight!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 06:23:40 PM by R.R. Book »

Jimfarmer

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2019, 09:44:30 PM »
Things can get ugly real fast… On the other hand, you can’t go shooting everyone that asks for help

If you are ascendable, such situations simply will not happen to you.

Maybe that's where the heavenly benefactors come in?

Yes, and even before that.

The trick is to prepare yourself spiritually beforehand.  And to condition your neighborhood beforehand.  Here is what I am doing daily for that.

*  Request assistance from higher-density benign entities.
*  Invite all benign entities interested in the welfare of any neighbor to participate.
*  For each subsection of the neighborhood that is easy for you to encompass in your imagination:
-  Repeat three times:
=  Imagine a vortex of energy arising from deep underground, passing thru the surface area, and continuing up to the ionosphere.
>  The vortex scours and flushes negativity from everything (esp. people) as it rises.
=  The vortex dumps the negativity into a portal to the Sun, where it is recycled.
=  The vortex then reverses direction of rotation and receives a load of positivity thru the portal to the Sun.
=  The vortex then passes down thru the atmosphere, the surface, and deep into the Earth.
>  On the way down, the vortex spreads and packs positivity into everything (esp. people) as it descends.
*  Thank all participating entities.

Over time, those persons in the neighborhood who display antisocial behavior will either change, move out, or die.  I have had success with that process.

If we do our part, those higher-density benign entities will do their part.  Their objective is to maximize the number of H. Sapiens who ascend.

[Well, that is my understanding to date.  Subject to change.]
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 11:48:11 AM by Jimfarmer »

R.R. Book

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2019, 03:49:32 AM »
Am reposting part of this over on "Positive News."

Home Study System

Home Study System
Save 30%

BUY NOW

The ideal win-win survival community library reference system offers a broad range of valuable survival skills and knowledge. Ideal those in preparedness, it provides in-depth knowledge about how to form communities and operate two-way communications.

For human needs, it also includes a low-impact energy self-healing art and an essential role for seniors in survival communities.

A special note for those of you living outside the United States, we optimized this system for the lowest possible Priority Mail costs.

4 Paperbacks and 6 DVDs

Win-Win Survival Communities Signed

Radio Free Earth Color (Color Editon) Signed

Complete Danjeon Breathing System w/6 DVDs

Survival Wellness Advocacy and the BIG WIN

BUY NOW