Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: Kids clothing in the aftertime  (Read 18118 times)

lwnottingham

• Trusted Member
  • Thats no moon......its a space station!
Kids clothing in the aftertime
« on: June 10, 2010, 09:17:20 AM »
Hi

Not sure if anyone has thought of this before, but in the aftertime and hardships to come has everyone thought about how to cloth their children??? As we all know they go through clothes and maybe more importantly shoes every few months or so. It will surely be impossible to just go down the shops and buy the next size up for a growing child.
Im currently planning to buy every kids size trainer/sneaker in one style up to maybe UK size 9 for my two children. Clothes are a bit easier to adapt i suppose but correct footwear is essential. A good/cheap footwear supplier is what I am now searching for.

Hope this helps

Leigh

Dania22

• Members
  • Prolific Member
Re: Kids clothing in the aftertime
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 09:43:20 AM »
What I've been doing: Is going to the military surplus and purchasing from there, clothes for all various types of weather. I have a "cold" bin, and "hot" bin mark for the children. Insulated gloves, socks, thermal undergarments, military jacket, insulated boots, scarves.... things of that nature are put into the 'cold" bin. I buy several sizes larger for the children. I find that the quality of clothes found there are really good.

Into the hot bin goes very light material clothes that you can find at Walmart, Dollar Savings and your local Good Will. Under shirts, tank tops, shorts, undergarments, t-shirts, light socks, light sneakers, summer dresses, leggings...etc. You'll find lots of bargain that you wouldn't normally find under "different" circumstances. I have absolutely no idea what type of weather we will be facing. I think preparing for dual weather conditions, 'hot" or "cold" is of utmost importance, especially for our little ones.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 08:29:39 AM »
Hello. This is a worthwhile Topic lwnottingham started, so let's continue the discussion. I feel that adequate clothing could be one of the most difficult issues in the Aftertime.

Posting here some outlets I find for used and new wholesale lots of clothing. (Other things as well.) I can
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 09:04:37 AM by Yowbarb »

Lori

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 08:45:52 AM »
We just had a brand spanking new Goodwill Store Open here in town,  I'm  going to start stocking up on cloths for all of us for all seasons.  I'm going to buy storage bags for the cloths.  You see them advertised on television a lot.  You know the ones that use vacuums to flatten out.  And I also plan on getting portable storage units to store the cloths.  Sometimes you will come across oil lanterns and other items that people don't use anymore such as camping stoves, tents, etc at Goodwill.  My daughter and I are going to see what they have tomorrow.

By the way we are still having Rolling Black outs.  This has never happened here before.  So I'm posting while i can.   

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 09:03:16 AM »
This is a more economical outlet, since it is specifically and only, used clothing.

Used Clothing Wholesale Home page http://usedclothingwholesale.com/home.php

Mayor Supplier of Bulk Used Clothing, Second Hand Clothes, Recycled Used Blue Jeans, Rummage, Rags, Worn Apparel and Garments for
Export to Africa, Latin America, Asia, Middle East, Europe and World Wide
ANY QUESTIONS ?

[Yowbarb Note: Below are randomly selected  sections of their ad, showing part of what
they offer.]

Baby & Children Clothing

Grade A Childrens & Baby Clothing $0.90 Lb

Everything for Babies, Boys and Girls .. All in Light Summer / Tropical Fabrics - All Grade A sizes 00/0 to size 12

Grade A Jeans for Childrens at only $2.00 Lb!!

"Yes, we sell Recycled / Used / Second Hand Jeans for Children's packed in Bales of 100 Lbs ... Specially Selected and Graded A Quality -
OUR TOP QUALITY."

Our Recycled Jeans are as follows:
All brands Mixed, brands such as Lee, Wrangler, Rustlers, Gitano, BounJouir, Chic, Arizona, Pepes, Britania, Gloria, Sergio Valente, C.K., Gap, Oscar de la Renta, Dockers, Sierra, West, etc., etc., over 20 assorted brands -Children Jeans from 00/0 to size 12 .. for Boys and Girls in approx 60% Blues and 40% Colors ... Top Quality

[Yowbarb Note: WINTER CLOTHING BELOW] Same company, different page:
http://www.usedclothingwholesale.com/used_winter_clothing.html

Special Low Prices in Used Winter Clothing for the Whole Family as low as $0.16 per Lb
LOWEST PRICES IN A LONG TIME, GRADE A+B USED WINTER CLOTHES

Yowbarb Note in order to get the sixteen cents per pound you would need to purchase a huge amount, but I still feel it is possible to get a
good deal on say 1,000 to 2,000 pounds of clothing.

Details: "Buy 44,000 Lbs or More $0.16 Lb on a 40 ft High Cube Container."
"Buy 21,000 Lbs (20 ft Cont) $0.20 Lb." 

NOTE you can contact them about prices and offers. Say you wanted to buy a container full of mixed winter clothes of different sizes - about 1,000 pounds, I think it would be possible to get that for .60 or like that.  2,000 pounds, perhaps less.
I would say if someone is seriously trying to prepare for the future that they could buy a big stash of clothing and just bury it. I am thinking for about $600 a group could have some life saving cold weather clothing items.

They also sell bulk lots of used military clothing.  Something to think about. Next post will have more of what they sell. There are probably lots of outlets...not plugging any particular one.
All The Best,
Yowbarb

Used Clothing Wholesale, Second Hand Clothes Dealer, Recycled Grade A Blue Jeans $1.40, Levi's Strauss $5.00 & The Best Prices in Rummage, Rags, Used Apparel, 2nd Hand Garments & Fashions. Ropa Usada, Ropa de Segunda Mano en Pacas

offers@usedclothingwholesale.com
miamibst@bellsouth.net

Copyright
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:36:42 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 09:20:49 AM »
We just had a brand spanking new Goodwill Store Open here in town,  I'm  going to start stocking up on cloths for all of us for all seasons.  I'm going to buy storage bags for the cloths.  You see them advertised on television a lot.  You know the ones that use vacuums to flatten out.  And I also plan on getting portable storage units to store the cloths.  Sometimes you will come across oil lanterns and other items that people don't use anymore such as camping stoves, tents, etc at Goodwill.  My daughter and I are going to see what they have tomorrow.

By the way we are still having Rolling Black outs.  This has never happened here before.  So I'm posting while i can.

Lori sorry to read about the power outtages... wonder what the news says about it...
Is it possible it is rolling brownouts designed to prevent outtages during the hottest time of day when the ACS are on ?

Like you mentioned: Goodwill and Salvation Army are good too.
As the years went by, on into the 1980s and 1990s in southern California - I noticed the people who worked at these places would take their
pick of stuff as it came in. Grabbing things (especially things like iron frying pans, blue jeans, decent shoes, large women's clothing and baby things.) As time went on I got a little discouraged about finding what I needed.

Well, I will be posting the outlets I find in this Topic, and maybe it will help some survival group,
in the next year - to buy a bulk lot or two of summer and winter things. Also baby stuff. It's kind of hard to fake it with baby clothes. Either you have them or you do not and the little newborn ones will need clothes that fit them.  Also pregnant women and large women will be suffering if they
do not have some clothes that fit them. Some jumbo sized men's clothes will be needed too.

What I would do if I could take the time is just wash and dry everything and repack and take to the survival location and bury it all in the steel containers and keep it for the aftertime... Distribute to group.
Something to barter with, at later times too.
Well it all costs money but it looks like a survival group could get a stash of clothing for less than a grand. Should probably spend more - but that would be something. One reason I say this is, each person may not be able to bring much in the way of clothing. Depending upon how rushed it is. There will inevitably be some late arrivals at any given survival shelter, and some will end up walking in with their mountain pack and not much else. Having had to leave their car somewhere along the way and trek the rest of the way in.
Granted, many groups will have their belongings stowed away in advance, in some underground containers.
Even with the best of intentions, someone will have practically nothing for the future. There will always be a need for clothing.  Stashes of warm blankets too.

All The Best,
Yowbarb
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 09:30:30 AM by Yowbarb »

Mistah Ceza

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 11:06:24 PM »
The sportsmanguide.com has great stuff and prices! :)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 05:32:47 AM »

That's good to know.
BTW here is a  live link for the clothing outlet I had posted, farther above.
Had to fix that, just now.  Used Clothing Wholesale Home page http://usedclothingwholesale.com/home.php

Back soon,
Yowbarb
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:37:47 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 06:18:16 PM »

Mistah Ceza, thanks again. I see a lot of items that seem good and low prices.  A lot
of the items would be for older children/teens, but there are some smaller items,
even a toddler snow suit, and it looks really warm. Snow suit in blue, too.  :)
[IMAGE]  - Yowbarb

Main page
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/Main.aspx? The sportsmanguide.com 

Shop for Youth Clothing http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/youth-clothing.aspx?c=78&d=112

errrv

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 01:50:17 AM »
Hi guys, I'm sure everybody already knows this, but I have 3 kids at home; 9/5/3. What we do is: every spring & fall clean out the closet & replace with seasonal clothing. I take the clothes out and put them in a bin marked "winter 4T" etc. Stack em in the garage & I hardly ever have to buy clothes or shoes.
I have 6-10 bins with various sizes in each bin. I was going to start sending out of size to goodwill, but thinking I might be smart to keep them now. Just hope there's room for them in the new world!!!

P.s. I have been buying boots at www.sierratradingpost.Com
Cheap prices & good gear. If you are an adult & want some excellent hiking boots get some asolos. Used in rocky terrain by the marines & special forces... They hold up well!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 06:12:47 AM »
Hi guys, I'm sure everybody already knows this, but I have 3 kids at home; 9/5/3. What we do is: every spring & fall clean out the closet & replace with seasonal clothing. I take the clothes out and put them in a bin marked "winter 4T" etc. Stack em in the garage & I hardly ever have to buy clothes or shoes.
I have 6-10 bins with various sizes in each bin. I was going to start sending out of size to goodwill, but thinking I might be smart to keep them now. Just hope there's room for them in the new world!!!

P.s. I have been buying boots at www.sierratradingpost.Com
Cheap prices & good gear. If you are an adult & want some excellent hiking boots get some asolos. Used in rocky terrain by the marines & special forces... They hold up well!
Hello errrv
some good ideas you posted . Thanks for the tip on the asolos and the sierra trading post.
You're probably right - at this time maybe it would be good to keep the stash of clothing and safely store it in your survival location. I suppose the vacuum bags would be a good way to keep extra clothing, bedding, towels and all.
All The Best,
Yowbarb

Image:  Sierratrading Lowa Ronan Gore-Tex® Mid Hiking Boots - Waterproof, Nubuck (For Men) Five Star rating on special

Image:  Womens Lowa Sella Gore-Tex® Trekking Boots - 5 Star Rating, on special)

Image: Sierratrading Justin Boots Pitstop Lacer Boots  (For Kids and Youth) Five Stars rating
on special

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 06:16:07 AM »
PS the reason I posted the mens womens and childrens samples of boots is:
They are all Five Star Ratings and
all on special...
YB

fidelis_soul

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 08:16:58 AM »
i know this is a stretch but has any one considered learning how to make shoes its not really as hard as one may think also if you have to move some where or cant stay you cant bring all those clothes i have found a needle and thread are very easy to travel with  ;D its just a thought learning some skills that could be useful you never know ;)

oh geeze !! i think i know or have learned something then i find that what i know is really nothing at all and that what i was taught all my life was a lie so hear i go on a self deprogramming mission to cleanse my mind of all the mess that was crammed in that 10% that i use

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 08:38:40 AM »
i know this is a stretch but has any one considered learning how to make shoes its not really as hard as one may think also if you have to move some where or cant stay you cant bring all those clothes i have found a needle and thread are very easy to travel with  ;D its just a thought learning some skills that could be useful you never know ;)

fidelis_soul what a wonderful photo.  :)
Really good idea you have posted, thanks!
I think it is important to have some heavy duty needles and leather strips, heavy thread, leather, cloth and instructions; anything needed to make shoes.
Excellent addition to our survival lists. I don't think it is on there, the shoe making instructions, etc.
Survival Lists and Methods From Around the World

Keep on keepin' on,
Yowbarb

bk

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 05:55:49 PM »
I have to study up on this now, first grandson born 6/24/11 5lb 11oz I guess we will be going through clothes real quick.

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY SMART AND DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME

This book needs to be on your survival checklist because it offers a simple path for visioning, leading, and supervising the creation of an effective survival communications strategy.

Learn more...