Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: Kids clothing in the aftertime  (Read 17581 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Kids clothing in the aftertime
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2012, 10:09:05 AM »
I believe knitting will make a big comeback after the shift, and I was just commenting to someone recently how sad it is that sewing, knitting, crochet, quilting, canning, etc, have all become so ignored by the younger generations.  Love the posts.

Yes indeed those are really necessary survival skills...
I'd say one of the most important things we could do now, is make sure we have a big stash of materials and all the instructions on how to do things, so the info is available to people in survival groups. Definitely time to print things out, and put them in waterproof covers. Government has pdfs online one source of how - to info.

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2012, 02:46:02 PM »
I don't know how many people know this but the Goodwill and other thrift stores always have lots of skeins of yarn, several in a bundle for dirt cheap.  Also lots of odds and ends of sewing material for quilting. Many of the pieces are large enough to make clothing for small children.

And even large bundles of candles.  The other day I scored 9 good sized decorator candles in a bag for $3.99.  And one could melt them down and make new ones the size wanted.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2012, 06:33:30 PM »
I don't know how many people know this but the Goodwill and other thrift stores always have lots of skeins of yarn, several in a bundle for dirt cheap.  Also lots of odds and ends of sewing material for quilting. Many of the pieces are large enough to make clothing for small children.

And even large bundles of candles.  The other day I scored 9 good sized decorator candles in a bag for $3.99.  And one could melt them down and make new ones the size wanted.

I love shopping at the Goodwill and Salvation Army Thrift stores around here...You do get just some of the greatest deals there!!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2012, 05:31:11 AM »

Endtimesgal_2012, really great info! Good to know people can get knitting supplies there, and more...
I have done a lot of used store shopping for clothes, over the years -
"Sally Store" shopping as my Mom used to call it. :) "Sally" referring to Salvation Army, but of course we went to Goodwill too.
My Grandmother Vina used to make the most wonderful quilts. She saved pieces of clothing. She stuffed quilts with nylon stockings at the time.
There was a time when I could go into a used store and get iron pots and skillets etc. but then it seemed the people who worked there must have grabbed up a lot of the cookware.  Still it is possible to get some kitchen stuff.
 :)
Yowbarb
Good to know about the candles too...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2012, 05:35:00 AM »
I feel anyone preparing for survival in a group should get a stash of childrens' shoes,
socks, clothes. from a used store and/or bulk outlet.
Sewing machine, sewing supplies
bulk batches of clean packed clothing as posted in some of the earlier posts here.
As Endtimesgal_2012 mentioned, the knitting supplies too.

enlightenme

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • I won't give up, not even after the last sunset!
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2012, 08:45:48 AM »
Definitely so Barb...I was also thinking in addition to fabric, make sure to have a few basic sewing patterns, usually only need 1 or two to cover a large range of sizes.  I for one, am certainly not talented enough to sew much of anything without a pattern to follow! ;D

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2012, 09:29:10 AM »
Definitely so Barb...I was also thinking in addition to fabric, make sure to have a few basic sewing patterns, usually only need 1 or two to cover a large range of sizes.  I for one, am certainly not talented enough to sew much of anything without a pattern to follow! ;D

That's a great idea too!
(I suppose those patterns could be found in a thrift store too?)
Enlightenme and Endtimesgal_2012 I appreciate the ideas...
I'm going to be adding some of these items to the Survival List Topic, soon...
-Yowabrb

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2012, 09:33:10 AM »
I think thread would be something we should stock as well.  Estate sales are good for this item, and also sometimes the thrift stores, when families are clearing out their parents stuff once they go to assisted living or pass, few young people sew anymore and they get rid of it all, and it gets bundled up into a big plastic bag and sold for dirt cheap.  Also, how many people have a good pair of scissors for sewing  Those that do not sew do not realize that scissors which have been used for cutting paper will not cut cloth adequately.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2012, 09:42:27 AM »
I think thread would be something we should stock as well.  Estate sales are good for this item, and also sometimes the thrift stores, when families are clearing out their parents stuff once they go to assisted living or pass, few young people sew anymore and they get rid of it all, and it gets bundled up into a big plastic bag and sold for dirt cheap.  Also, how many people have a good pair of scissors for sewing  Those that do not sew do not realize that scissors which have been used for cutting paper will not cut cloth adequately.

Really good ideas...
I have found that without a proper pair of sharp scissors it is difficult to cut cloth.
Thread, scissors and the pins too...all need to go on the list.  ;)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2012, 02:09:31 PM »
Some materials that come to mind for children's clothes and quilts:

Blue jeans scrap, denim, flannel, fuzzy cloth, 100% cotton
clean used nylon stockings (pantyhose) to stuff quilts with; cotton batting, padded quilted fabric to
make warm little coats with.
Knitting yarn, knitting needles, patterns for all.

Marking tool to run over the pattern
pins good scissors

Batting, padding material might be a good thing to have on hand to make kids beds...
The framework of which might be a concrete platform or constructed of wood...
Vinyl-type material could come in handy for areas, surfaces which are a bit hard to keep clean.

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2012, 07:26:56 PM »
Keep an eye out at the thrift stores and garage sales for old sweaters.  They can easily be cut down to make sweaters for children, as well as pillow covers, coverlets, pot holders, and a multitude of things.   And men's shirts can be cut down into dresses or jumpers for girls also.

Endtimesgal_2012

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2012, 09:33:14 PM »
I also remember a shoe bag my mother kept.  Shoes were not thrown out when we outgrew them.  They went to the shoe repair if my dad or mom could not repair them at home, and we knew better than to damage them and had to take good care of them.  We had Church shoes, School shoes, and play shoes.  We knew we had to take them off when we got home and put on play shoes and we went barefoot a lot in the summer.  We all had to polish our shoes ourselves once we got a bit older and also the older ones had to polish the younger ones shoes as well.  Every Saturday night.  Once we outgrew the shoes, they went in to the shoe bag. Our shoes had to last us until we outgrew them, and if or when we had to have a new pair, (especially me since I was the oldest,) they were bought at least one size too big.

We also sometimes wore cardboard insoles in them if there was a hole in the bottom of the sole and there was no money to purchase new ones.  With 9 children in the house, it was rare to get new shoes, we had to take turns. And when mom and dad bought us new ones, they drew around our foot on a piece of paper, went to town, and came home with what they thought we should have.  We never got to pick out our own shoes, or even clothing for that matter, and we were THRILLED to get something new, and we would never dream of saying we did not like it.

But once I learned to sew, I was able to go with my mother and help select the pattern and material to make all the girls Easter dresses every year.  That was a lot of fun.  As far as clothing was concerned, NOTHING was ever discarded.  If it became totally too worn to continue to be used, it was recycled into something else, either cut down into a different garment, or sewn into a coverlet, or made into potholders, tea towels, etc, or used for cleaning rags.  Nothing was wasted ever.  As a teenager, I recycled a dance dress three times into different styles to get the full use of it before trading it with a friend for something different.

I know to most people this sounds so terrible, but let me assure you I have very fond memories of my childhood, and with 4 brothers and 4 sisters, we were a lot like the Waltons.  I had a lot of fun and never really felt deprived.  We had good food to eat, a clean house and I was never ashamed to bring friends home, our house was tastefully decorated, regardless of having been done with second hand furniture and accessories.  My parents always felt they had to try harder since they were Catholics and had so many children.  And us children felt the responsibility to not bring shame on our parents by our actions.

Today we are a throwaway society, and  I believe we will have to practice these economies after the shift, and sadly, most people will feel terribly deprived and be so depressed over it, but thankfully, I am well prepared for such events.

In some ways I feel we went overboard trying to make up to our children for the hardships we had ourselves as children, which if you think about it, built resilience, strength and character,  I do not think it was a bad thing.

NativeMom72

• Global Moderator
  • ...just Breathe...
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2013, 08:19:27 PM »
Hello Everyone!

I love this topic because new clothes/shoes shopping has become somewhat of a rarity for my family in the last few years due to finances. So I am all about reusing, recycling, and crafting clothes for myself and the kids.
And if this wasn't mentioned before, I would also like to suggest being on the look out for "clothing swaps". These events offer an opportunity for folks to bring all the clothing their children can no longer fit and exchange them with other families who are looking for "new" clothing as well--- and they are FREE! Usually whatever is left over is donated to a homeless shelter.
These events are usually held every change of season and I have been so fortunate to find great items that fit my boys.
If you run a google search in your local county with the words "clothing swap" and/or "clothing exchange" and something might come up in your local town-- and if not, maybe consider hosting one with the help of your local church or community organization!

Hope this is Helpful

~pB
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 07:52:32 PM by pbutter72 »
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye.”
― Miyamoto Musashi  (1584 –1645)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2013, 09:29:35 PM »
Hello Everyone!

I love this topic because new clothes/shoes shopping has become somewhat of a rarity for my family in the last few years due to finances. So I am all about reusing, recycling, and crafting clothes for myself and the kids.
And if this wasn't mentioned before, I would also like to suggest being on the look out for "clothing swaps". These events offer an opportunity for folks to bring all the clothing their children can no longer fit and exchange them with other families who are looking for "new" clothing as well--- and they are FREE! Usually whatever is left over is donated to a homeless shelter.
These events are usually held every change of season and I have been so fortunate to find great items that fit my boys.
If you run a google search in your local county with the words "clothing swap" and/or "clothing exchange" and something might come up in your local town-- and if not, maybe consider hosting one with the help of your local church or community organization!

Hope this is Helpful

~pB
pbutter, I had not heard of those! What a super idea!
 ;)

NativeMom72

• Global Moderator
  • ...just Breathe...
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2013, 09:46:17 PM »
Hi Barb!

Yes, these clothing swaps are great for those who otherwise do not have and cannot afford to purchase clothing for their children. Many clothing swaps don't just limit what they offer to just clothing, many offer toys, books, blankets, diaper bags, even breast pumps! These swaps helped me in saving money, money that was much need in food and shelter. I feel that we were blessed in that aspect.
To tell you the truth, this is the first year I may have to venture out and buy my youngest boy's clothing because there was a shortage on 3T boys' clothes.

I sure hope that folks would be able to find or even start a clothing swap because they are super helpful!

Blessings,

~pB
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye.”
― Miyamoto Musashi  (1584 –1645)

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

Buying radio technology you need but do not understand is a big impediment to creating an affordable consumer (CB/SSB CB/FRS/GMRS) and amateur (MF/HF/VHF/UHF) two-way radio survival network. Learn more...