Win-Win Survival Communities The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Radio Free Earth

Author Topic: Respiratory conditions - colds, flu, bronchitis, pleurisy, asthma, COPD, etc.  (Read 5765 times)

Yowbarb

Yes, PLS be careful when testing the gas mask... 

Yowbarb

Can you let me know if you feel this is a good reference:

Great stuff Barb! 

One thought on any published book on herbs: With the help of the Internet, we now have nearly instantaneous access to international clinical trial results, especially through the NIH website.  So we might want to check the publication date on any printed volume on herbal medicine, and then see what clinical trials have been completed and published for peer review in the meantime on whatever it is that we're looking up.  The allopathic medical community takes more interest in some herbs than others, and significant changes in the knowledge base about a particular herb's medicinal properties can occur in a short time.  For example, there can be newer clinical findings that reverse old findings, or shed new light on them, such as newer dosage recommendations, contraindications, and so forth.

That being said, when the power grid goes down and we no longer have an Internet, the printed volumes will be priceless.  Those who may be called upon to "practice medicine without a license," which could potentially be anyone who survives into the Aftertime, may at least want to stay abreast, while it's still possible, of newer findings on certain key herbs that they might expect to work with.  :)
Good points.  Those interested in herbal and other traditional heal(th) methods are probably subconsciously working toward that goal.  I have dried some foxglove leaves this year and have a good batch of milk thistle beginning to flower, hopefully for seeds.  A little bit at a time each week or so is all it takes to amass a nice stash of helpful items.

It's good to get feedback on that reference.
[ https://theherbalacademy.com/herbal-decoction/   ]

So glad it seems useful...

R.R. Book

• Members
  • Prolific Member
A highly-rated reference:
Medical Herbalism: The Science Principles and Practices Of Herbal Medicine Hardcover – October 24, 2003
by David Hoffmann

Barb, I took an even closer look at this on Amazon, and it looks like a "must have" book!  I like learning the nitty-gritty about the chemical structure of herbs and why they work the way they do. 

Yowbarb

R.R. sounds good.

Yowbarb

A little progress report. Several months ago I went OFF the Lisinopril BP Med. Lisinopril worked great on my blood pressure but I used to cough my brains out.
My daughter mentioned to me that she used to cough like that (she does not have copd) and her doctor took her off the Lisinopril. It is a known side effect. this does not cause this side effect in all people but it did in my daughter and it did to me!
The point is, got a different BP med, not nearly as much coughing.

I still have copd (pulmonologist recently told me eosinophic copd) an inborn probably genetic condition. Nothing done yet to change the underlying conditions but two things I did  helped me finally get rid of the constant cough.

1) went off the Lisinopril BP med

2) I take Mucinex DM 12-hr tablet every 12 hours, with lots of water. It thins the mucus and helps me not cough. The DM part in the name is a mild cough suppressant.
If I don't have the 12-hour kind I use the regular 4 hour kind but always with the DM

These are not natural cures here just a couple things which are helping me. BTW my pulmonologist is a really good guy and he did suggest the Mucinex. I had already been on it but not taking very regularly. Once the doc mentioned I should take it, i've been setting reminders and taking more regularly.

Well i hope this helps someone,
Barb T.

ilinda

A little progress report. Several months ago I went OFF the Lisinopril BP Med. Lisinopril worked great on my blood pressure but I used to cough my brains out.
My daughter mentioned to me that she used to cough like that (she does not have copd) and her doctor took her off the Lisinopril. It is a known side effect. this does not cause this side effect in all people but it did in my daughter and it did to me!

I still have copd (pulmonologist recently told me eosinophic copd) an inborn probably genetic condition. Nothing done yet to change the underlying conditions but two things I did  helped me finally get rid of the constant cough.

2) I take Mucinex DM 12-hr tablet every 12 hours, with lots of water. It thins the mucus and helps me not cough. The DM part in the name is a mild cough suppressant.
If I don't have the 12-hour kind I use the regular 4 hour kind but always with the DM

These are not natural cures here just a couple things which are helping me. BTW my pulmonologist is a really good guy and he did suggest the Mucinex. I had already been on it but not taking very regularly. Once the doc mentioned I should take it, i've been setting reminders and taking more regularly.

Barb T.
Very interesting about the lisinopril making you cough.  Do you think the main reason you have too much mucous is because the eosinophilic COPD means more mucous produced, and thus it has to be expelled?   Have you had allergy testing done?  Maybe you've talked about this before, but if you have an allergic reaction to something it might be causing the excess mucous production.  Gee, if you didn't have the mucous, maybe you wouldn't even have COPD?

Yowbarb

Barb T.
Very interesting about the lisinopril making you cough.  Do you think the main reason you have too much mucous is because the eosinophilic COPD means more mucous produced, and thus it has to be expelled?   Have you had allergy testing done?  Maybe you've talked about this before, but if you have an allergic reaction to something it might be causing the excess mucous production.  Gee, if you didn't have the mucous, maybe you wouldn't even have COPD?

Well that is possible...

Yowbarb

As I understand it, eosinophil asthma (or eosinophilic COPD which I got diagnosed this month)
the main underlying cause is the body's response to foreign bodies, irritations etc.
Having allergies and being exposed would not help either. 
Avoiding allergens, nutrition all that does help. Eosinophil asthma etc. is dangerous because it can hit, seemingly out of nowhere... Not always possible to predict what chemical, allergen etc. will cause an over stimulation of the immune system which is already overstimulated and hyperactive...

ilinda

As I understand it, eosinophil asthma (or eosinophilic COPD which I got diagnosed this month)
the main underlying cause is the body's response to foreign bodies, irritations etc.
Having allergies and being exposed would not help either. 
Avoiding allergens, nutrition all that does help. Eosinophil asthma etc. is dangerous because it can hit, seemingly out of nowhere... Not always possible to predict what chemical, allergen etc. will cause an over stimulation of the immune system which is already overstimulated and hyperactive...
I think we're saying the same thing, sort of.  What I was thinking is that the "foreign bodies" are the things you are reactiing to, and if you only knew which ones were the culprits, it might be possible to avoid them.  But it could be something as pervasive as a common pollen, etc.,which would be nearly impossible to avoid.  But I see it like this:  the "allergens" are the very thing that are foreign, and irritating.  Maybe in some they don't go so far as to cause asthma and COPD, but in others, they cause about every part of the respiratory system to react, as well as the eosinophils in the blood.  I guess it's complicated.

Yowbarb

Well you are right avoiding allergens is always a good idea...

Yowbarb

Well you are right ilinda, avoiding allergens is always a good idea...and I need to do a whole overhaul of my environment...

I don't claim to be an expert on the eosinophilc condition. I only heard about it watching a TV commercial for Fasenra... then I heard about eosinophilic asthma.
A test showed my eosinophils were out the roof... docv diagnosed me with eosin opil COPD.
I had told the pulmonologist I do not think smoking (decades ago) was the main cause of my problems, since I had problems suddenly getting sick, chest colds pneumonitis etc. as a child and no smoke around me at all.. no furry pets...pollen wasn't a situation either, Portland, OR, Santa Monica CA not known for being super high pollen we lived near the ocean...

ilinda

It might be very telling if you could vacation for a month somewhere far away from your area.  If you ever want to park your trailer for a month in that spot I told you about (where you cannot be seen from the road, and where you could have electric hookup, let me know.  It would be a good test.

Yowbarb

It might be very telling if you could vacation for a month somewhere far away from your area.  If you ever want to park your trailer for a month in that spot I told you about (where you cannot be seen from the road, and where you could have electric hookup, let me know.  It would be a good test.

ilinda, sorry I don't remember that spot.
Sounds like a good idea... I don't currently have an RV or a trailer, but can you PM me the info?
Now that the weather is cold though it might not be an accurate test. Cold, dry air is the worst for me apparently...

Home Study System

Home Study System
Save 30%

BUY NOW

The ideal win-win survival community library reference system offers a broad range of valuable survival skills and knowledge. Ideal those in preparedness, it provides in-depth knowledge about how to form communities and operate two-way communications.

For human needs, it also includes a low-impact energy self-healing art and an essential role for seniors in survival communities.

A special note for those of you living outside the United States, we optimized this system for the lowest possible Priority Mail costs.

4 Paperbacks and 6 DVDs

Win-Win Survival Communities Signed

Radio Free Earth Color (Color Editon) Signed

Complete Danjeon Breathing System w/6 DVDs

Survival Wellness Advocacy and the BIG WIN

BUY NOW