Win-Win Survival Communities The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Radio Free Earth

Author Topic: COMPOST  (Read 1539 times)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
COMPOST
« on: August 07, 2017, 04:16:10 AM »
OMG...
I'm finding it hard to believe there's no compost entry here yet... So let's remedy that.

I just ran into PRAXXUS55712's vid on composting that i found really informative, insightful and entertaining [watch the dog...!]
Not to plug my own forum or anything, but i've gone into composting there and it contains the best vids and posts i was able to find at the time.

Why is composting interesting?
Well, first of all, it's just about copying Mother Nature's systems and using them intelligently to our own advantage. If ya don't wanna be cutting down forests all the time (as people have been doing for millennia to acquire good soil [thereby committing collective suicide...]), ya gotta be about achieving what forests do without relying on them in some unsustainable way.

There are tricks [like drunken composting (grass)] but the basics are real simple:
- 1 part greens [nitrogen-rich]
- 1 part browns [carbon-rich]
- innoculant [bacterial culture, usually: a small part of your previous heap]
- moisture [out of the Sun; keep it from drying out]
- aerated [heap must not be compacted and must have access to air; turn around once in a while and/or get holed pipes running through it]
- not too small, not too big [too big leads to compaction, too small dries it out too quickly]

Will there even be soil in the aftertimes...?
When megaquakes and megagales have carried away all surface soil, there will be heaps and heaps of it somewhere, but not necessarily anywhere near you. [I draw this idea from Paul LaViolette's Earth Under Fire in which he explains that modern 'coal reserves' are really nothing other than masses of organic materials that were once carried away by floods and collected at certain points where they started to decompose.]
You may, therefore, be called upon to create soil [i.e. something popular culture considers impossible which is why they consider soil something to be mined]. And the quickest way of doing this is through the natural shortcut that is composting.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 12:06:02 AM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
vid: 4 types of compost
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 11:49:14 AM »
Four types of compost.

A lot more to be said but the above is a good start.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: vid: 4 types of compost
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 04:53:52 PM »
Four types of compost.

Yes, a good start.  One easy type of compost is done by default around here.  Before weeding a bed, I pick a spot that is out of the walking path, and an easy place to "dump" stuff.  That is the new compost bed.  Then I begin weeding, and continuously layering the weeds on their sides, piling them higher and higher until they are ready to topple over.  Then I can nudge the bed here and there and continue adding more weeds.  The idea is to make the pile as dense as possible, creating a small a footprint as possible. 

When this tall pile starts to break down, it will get really hot, and depending on the size of it, once it gets started, you can lift one "corner" and see steam rising.  When weeding the garden like this, I have had rich-looking, black "soil" result from the pile within a few months.  But at other times it takes much longer, so the composition and size make a difference.  But when weeding--weeds are weeds and you need a quick place to dispose of them.  What better place than an impromptu compost-to-be pile?

The guy in the video has a much bigger spread than many of us so maybe he needs various compost types.  Here, we can add potassium (and other minerals)  by just shoveling wood ash onto the garden.  Further, we add SEA-90 which is evaporated sea water (pre-Fukushima), and that is also a once-a-year amendment.

Hubby has a nifty booklet edited by Rodale, entitled "How To Make Compost in 14 Days".  He followed it for a while and it really does work, and it gives one a good physical workout when having to turn the piles.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: weeds
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 12:04:32 AM »
I begin weeding, and continuously layering the weeds on their sides, piling them higher and higher until they are ready to topple over.  Then I can nudge the bed here and there and continue adding more weeds.

I have had rich-looking, black "soil" result from the pile within a few months.  But at other times it takes much longer
As mentioned, compost is ideally made up of equal parts 'greens' and 'browns'.
I was surprised when i just dumped kitchen scraps outside how quickly it turned to a rich looking earth.
This process should not take a lot of time [and as i recall, my experiment took place in spring here in Holland]. In just a few weeks the scraps had turned to dirt. If you're talking months [especially if temperatures are fair], the process is taking an unnecessarily long time.

A 'brown' can simply be a 'green' that's been left out to dry... Traditional 'browns', for example, are leaves that have fallen in autumn. But as one source mentions, grass makes a great source for compost piles because it generally consists of old dried leaves as well as fresh ones, offering one a natural mix of 'greens' and 'browns'.
What i'm saying is that if you're making a pile of weeds, what you need to do to get great compost is to layer in 'browns', like dried weeds [during the drying process nitrogen evaporates], dead leaves, wood chips, etc.

(I Googled Sea-90 and viewed their website. Looks like wonderful stuff. Also looks like perfect stuff to grow wheatgrass in.)
survival database

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: vid compost
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 01:47:59 AM »

Another great vid i've run across: Aerobic compost fast. Half-an-hour vid but really full of info.

Permaculture prayer/blessing

Joel Salatin inspirational

Please bear with me. I do not post, share and pass on every tidbit i run across. I respect your time too much to do so.
But when i hear something truly authentic, inspirational or basic, i am driven to pass it on from empathy and interest in humanity's future.
survival database

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: COMPOST
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 06:04:55 AM »
I completely agree with Salatin's view of farming as being a partnership with nature, rather than a battle. 

That chopping machine would sure be useful to have, but I'll just have to settle for the weed whacker!

The chemical approach to farming is essentially a drug addiction.
~Joel Salatin

Home Study System

Home Study System
Save 30%

BUY NOW

The ideal win-win survival community library reference system offers a broad range of valuable survival skills and knowledge. Ideal those in preparedness, it provides in-depth knowledge about how to form communities and operate two-way communications.

For human needs, it also includes a low-impact energy self-healing art and an essential role for seniors in survival communities.

A special note for those of you living outside the United States, we optimized this system for the lowest possible Priority Mail costs.

4 Paperbacks and 6 DVDs

Win-Win Survival Communities Signed

Radio Free Earth Color (Color Editon) Signed

Complete Danjeon Breathing System w/6 DVDs

Survival Wellness Advocacy and the BIG WIN

BUY NOW