Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: The Solar Grand Minimum  (Read 7209 times)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: The Solar Grand Minimum
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2018, 05:32:24 AM »
Predictive poetry, published 98 years ago this month in Harper's magazine?

~Robert Frost
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 08:02:55 AM by R.R. Book »

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: The Solar Grand Minimum - Heating fuel shortages
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2018, 12:30:16 PM »
While we've been discussing higher home heating prices on this thread, it never occurred to me that an entire state might declare an emergency because of no more propane.

Evolutionary Energy Arts reports that Colorado declared a state of emergency on Christmas Eve because of just that: suppliers are on the verge of running out of propane, leaving 33,000 customers who depend upon it in a lurch. 

Officials are providing only vague explanations, saying that suppliers are having "production issues."  Rationing of propane has begun.  Suppliers are seeking the fuel from other states, but customers have been warned that it will not arrive any time soon. 

Moral: Preppers may want to consider adding a woodstove to their home heating plan if they don't already have one.

And since our region of PA ran short on firewood for delivery recently, it's important to over-stock cord wood, if not cutting and seasoning your own. 

Meanwhile, a major winter storm is on the way to Colorado, and temperatures fell into the single digits last night...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRudJQSjYkY

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/12/26/latest-colorado-weather-forecast-winter-storm-to-graze-colorado-today/

« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 06:36:26 AM by R.R. Book »

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2018, 04:27:32 AM »
It should also be noted that Colorado has a history of frowning upon fireplaces and woodstoves, per family members who once lived there.  Home builders and owners must apply for a special permit before adding one, if I understand correctly, and then there are rigorous regulations as to which model / type of woodstove may be used.

One wonders at the irony of such regulations coinciding with a sudden mass unavailability of propane - seems like another Agenda 21 fiat.

I hope that Colorado readers will update my information if it is outdated.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2018, 07:53:25 AM »
It should also be noted that Colorado has a history of frowning upon fireplaces and woodstoves, per family members who once lived there.  Home builders and owners must apply for a special permit before adding one, if I understand correctly, and then there are rigorous regulations as to which model / type of woodstove may be used.

One wonders at the irony of such regulations coinciding with a sudden mass unavailability of propane - seems like another Agenda 21 fiat.

I hope that Colorado readers will update my information if it is outdated.
If anyone uses a Hardy type woodstove, and has neighbors, it could spell problems.  We invested in the Hardy Woodstove and OMG that thing smokes up the area for miles.  It's awful.  It is designed to burn that way, and the smoke is constant, thick, and noxious.  Finally after about a year or so, we relegated it as a very expensive trash burner.  An efficient indoor wood burner that doesn't leak, and has a high fuel efficiency rating is a good way to stay warm.

But, yes, there may be much more at play than just unavailability of propane.  After all, isn't fracking another source of propane?  It seems there should be more propane, not less. 

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2018, 06:35:54 PM »
I'm so sorry about your unpleasant woodstove experience Ilinda - if you decide to give it a try again, you might want to look into purchasing a stove with "secondary burn" which turns smoke into fuel (provided the stove is not leaky).

My husband and I were just saying the same thing, that there should be more propane due to sizeable domestic resources. 

Maybe it's being sold off to power overseas industry, in the same way that fuel oil is being sent abroad?

Interesting that the shortage involves propane rather than natural gas, as propane is used in bulk for home heating by independent rural folks, while natural gas must be piped to homes that depend upon it.  It's difficult to say that any other demographic was affected by this than preppers.

One suggestion to propane users:
Buy propane under an annual contract with a well-established provider, rather than on a "will-call" basis.  The contract not only provides customers with a lock on prices (except when they drop), but also causes the provider to give them priority over other buyers.  Most rural folks probably already know this though.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 06:54:35 PM by R.R. Book »

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2019, 04:53:13 PM »
Ice Age Farmer is reporting multiple instances this winter of northern power companies unable to keep up with the demand from their customers for electricity with colder than expected temps, or longer-lasting deep freezes. 

He documents that a Quebec electric co actually warned customers in writing either to cut back on their usage, or to expect blackouts.  And indeed the predicted blackouts occurred.

In the dead of winter...

Do you have a non-electric heat source?

Do you have a back-up for your back-up heat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ofHSamdvTw

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2019, 05:20:20 PM »
Not only do we need to have a back-up heat source, but think about cooking as well.  That stove shown in the picture appears to be kerosene, and the flat top would work as a makeshift cooktop.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2019, 05:45:46 PM »
Absolutely.  I have a similar one in black, but haven't tried cooking on it yet.  Will have to try it soon and report back!  :)

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY NOW

In a post-global disaster world, predators and tyrants will have the best two-way radios, and they'll use them to surveil you at a comfortable distance.

What will you have? Signal flares and red bandannas?

If so, when you least expect it, the predators and tyrants will come to take a spoil and they will torture, rape, and kill without mercy.

This is why Radio Free Earth authors Marshall Masters and Duane W. Brayton have an urgent message for everyone with a serious interest in preparedness. That being, analog RF (radio frequency) is the heartbeat of freedom. Accept no substitutes.

Watch our free videos to learn how to stay safe and free with an affordable strategy for two way communication, both near and far.

Welcome to Radio
Free Earth

Why Radio
Free Earth

Post-Disaster
Communications

Citizens Band Radios
for Survival

BUY NOW