Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: TOOLS  (Read 2919 times)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
TOOLS
« on: October 17, 2017, 04:30:15 PM »
can't believe this topic doesn't exist yet...
Been building on a list like this for years [though, am not in the least up-to-date].
Ran into this little gem today: the Seventy2 Survival Kit. I'll be honest; their youtube vid is entertaining and influenced my opinion somewhat.

Maybe not a bad idea.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: TOOLS
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 05:43:00 PM »
Several items appear waterproof, which is excellent idea, as in backpacking, I've found one never seems to have enough waterproofing, or waterproof pockets, etc.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 11:30:43 AM »
Very organized and comprehensive looking Soc! :)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
shovels
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 10:32:09 AM »
So... out in the woods and i find myself using my shovel quite a bit; need a flat space to sleep on? Shovel...
Need dirt? Shovel.
Really, it's very basic. Unfortunately, the shovel i had with me turned out to perform quite poorly. In fact, after just a few hours of work, i ended up with the shovel end in my hand [i.e. no more handle], which costs loads of extra energy (and not a little bit of aggravation...).

Knife? Axe?
Think "shovel" instead.

Anywho... with such experience in mind, i ran into this vid of Alone survivor/winner Fowler in which he's talking about his most important tool [see 9 min. into the vid]. I can relate.
In any survival situation y'all have to dig! i.e. yer digging tool ain't no minor thing.
God knows, i am ordering me a proper digging tool [i.e. not any folding option].
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 11:11:44 AM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: shovels
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 04:25:37 PM »
So... out in the woods and i find myself using my shovel quite a bit; need a flat space to sleep on? Shovel...
Need dirt? Shovel.
Really, it's very basic. Unfortunately, the shovel i had with me turned out to perform quite poorly. In fact, after just a few hours of work, i ended up with the shovel end in my hand [i.e. no more handle], which costs loads of extra energy (and not a little bit of aggravation...).

Knife? Axe?
Think "shovel" instead.

Anywho... with such experience in mind, i ran into this vid of Alone survivor/winner Fowler in which he's talking about his most important tool [see 9 min. into the vid]. I can relate.
In any survival situation y'all have to dig! i.e. yer digging tool ain't no minor thing.
God knows, i am ordering me a proper digging tool [i.e. not any folding option].
Interesting that we had a little shovel similar to his, and ours was not all that sturdy either.  The handle top broke off after not too many years, and it seemed too premature, especially in view of fact that we don't abuse our tools.  Our full-size shovels never break like that.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 05:02:23 PM »
Need dirt? Shovel.

Knife? Axe?
Think "shovel" instead.

Thanks, Socrates, that is one thing, too easy to overlook. So important!
:)

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 04:13:14 PM »
Need dirt? Shovel.

Knife? Axe?
Think "shovel" instead.

Thanks, Socrates, that is one thing, too easy to overlook. So important!
:)
True, Barb and Socrates.

Now, this brings up a question.  There are lists galore of what a person needs for surviving primitively, and nobody can possibly have all of the things on a given list.  So, what would be perhaps 10 tools that would be considered indispensable?
Shovel, saw, knife, needle, hammer, axe?  What others would people consider must-haves?

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: survival shovel / spade
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 05:33:44 AM »
got me this one; about 50 bucks [as i'm in the EU, often i order stuff from the UK].

[Also see: the 20-in-1 survival shovel.]
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 09:04:58 AM by Socrates »
survival database

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 06:07:54 AM »
10 Outdoor Tools I Couldn't Live Without:

1. Shovel
2. Scythe and whetstone
3. Potato digging fork
4. Wheelbarrow
5. Hatchet
6. Axe
7. Rod and tackle
8. Nippers
9. Hack saw and blades
10. Rake

10 Indoor/Outdoor Tools I Couldn't Live Without:

1. Needle and thread
2. Broom & dustpan
3. Mop
4. Scissors
5. Hammer
6. Electrostatic carpet sweeper
7. 2-in-1 screwdriver
8. Large pliers
9. Clothesline and pins
10. Tape measure

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: survival shovel / spade
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 05:10:09 PM »
got me this one; about 50 bucks [as i'm in the EU, often i order stuff from the UK].

Looks quite compact.  Is this the replacement for the one you wrote about that broke after a short while?  Is the one in the pic "carbon steel"?  I'm not sure what exactly they mean by that term, but am seeing it more these days.  Not sure of the percentage of carbon in steel.

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 05:11:56 PM »
10 Outdoor Tools I Couldn't Live Without:

1. Shovel
2. Scythe and whetstone
3. Potato digging fork
4. Wheelbarrow
5. Hatchet
6. Axe
7. Rod and tackle
8. Nippers
9. Hack saw and blades
10. Rake

10 Indoor/Outdoor Tools I Couldn't Live Without:

1. Needle and thread
2. Broom & dustpan
3. Mop
4. Scissors
5. Hammer
6. Electrostatic carpet sweeper
7. 2-in-1 screwdriver
8. Large pliers
9. Clothesline and pins
10. Tape measure
Good reminder -- we need to mentally think about outdoor vs. indoor tools.  Many of the indoor tools could be carried in a small pouch or pocket of a backpack.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: '10 tools'
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 12:52:05 AM »
Tools are an extremely big deal. Ya wanna start out from scratch like a caveman?...
But this really brings us to the bug-out-bag, for if you're not actually, literally, physically carrying your tools with you [i.e. on your person], then what do you really have?
Please let me share a personal experience, to illustrate: i was transporting illegal herbs and knew that i could be arrested and spend time in jail; one of the things i figured i'd need, should i be forced to deal with jail, is a watch. Mundane, one might think, but 19 months in jail proved my expectation valid. Unfortunately, though i  actually had said watch with me in my car when i got arrested, because it was not physically on my person, i ended up without a watch...
I think bug-out-bags should be considered similarly, in that actual emergency situations might not allow you time or opportunity to gather what goods you might've acquired; what you have with you/on your person may well become what you have [i.e. to deal with whatever situation you're presented with].
So, for instance, though it might be nice to have a scythe, this is hardly an item one can fit inside a BOB [bug-out-bag]. So scratch that... In fact, the smaller the item, the better. With that having been said...
1: firestarter; magnesium rod and/or creditcard-size fresnel lense
2: knife/knives; foldable pocket knife and/or 'survival knife'
3: mosquito net
4: shovel
5: garden trowel
6: machete and/or garden cutters
7: axe / hatchet [not necessarily with handle] also to be used as either pickaxe or hammer [depending on shape]
8: flashlight + batteries (for flashlight) including (solar) charger
9: crossbow [hand-sized one]
10: tent

1: i have a creditcard-size fresnel lense in my wallet at all times; if there's any sunlight, i can use it forever to accomplish a fire. And with Zachery Fowler's technique of how to keep a fire alive indefinitely, once is all you need.
2: nuff said
3: if you want a good night's sleep, you want to be able to lie down without feeling bugs/mice/snakes crawl over you. As well, a mosquito net keeps most wind out. A tent's better, but a mosquito net weighs next to nothing.
4: you're gonna need to dig
5: shovel/trowel is like mosquito net/tent; it's about redundancy and the survival rule 2 = 1, one = none
6: you're gonna have to be able to get rid of brush: machete, garden cutter, scissors; have all 3 if you can
7: a good quality hatchet or axe head weighs a lot but is priceless; the handle you can fashion if need be
8: a crank flashlight will last longer than one on batteries; can you charge batteries? Small solar panels are an option
9: killing animals and defense are important considerations. A crossbow is almost always legal to have with you and you can fashion your own ammo
10: the elements will kill you faster than anything else. Get out of the rain, the cold and the wind asap. Without shelter you're vunerable, losing sleep (you need more than ever) and burning calories you can't afford to lose.

One my favorite tools in one of my adventures has been my level. Obviously, the longer the better, but even a foot long level would be great. So if i can fit "trowel/shovel" into one number [...], add level to my list.  :P
And, while we're at it [i.e. if tent/mosquito net is one], i'd probably bring a compass, too.
(And if i have a solar charger with me, my MP3 player.)
Also good: some kind of pan [aluminum is fine as long as you don't bring into contact with acidic foods], something to contain water, some rope and/or tape, a needle (yeah), foldable saw, plier.
Zac Fowler was talking about some kind of indestructable socks... Expensive, but look good.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 03:41:59 AM by Socrates »
survival database

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 05:00:41 AM »
Excellent ideas Socrates - thanks!  That was my bug-IN tool list. 

I had posted a budget-friendly <$500 long-term-survival bug-OUT list on the thread below (with tools highlighted in red)...the longer list is too bulky to carry on foot all in one trip, but would fit into a vehicle as long as gas held out.  The shorter list in red might fit into a bug-out bag.  Those already out in the countryside might have better odds surviving in place though:

http://planetxtownhall.com/index.php?topic=6625.msg94790#msg94790

2. $20 colloidal silver generator from Etsy, to be shared with neighbors
3. $5 5 gallons distilled water (or Socrates' Dollar Store distiller)
4. $4 2-lb. bag of Bob's Red Mill sea salt or equivalent
5. $2 aluminum pocket fishing rod and reel
6. $2 fishing lure kit
7. $1 500m nylon fishing line
8. $6 Lugol's 2% iodine solution
9. $20 Brahma or Texas Steer workboots
10. $10 4 pairs of Dickies steel-toe socks
11. $5 for 7 pairs of Fruit of the Loom underwear
12. $27 for 2 pairs gently used overalls
13. $15 for 3 Faded Glory flannel shirts
14. $5 for 3 long sleeve Fruit of the Loom thermal shirts
15. $6 for 3 Fruit of the Loom T shirts
16. $55 Columbia Flash Forward water resistant down-filled coat
17. $1 rain poncho
18. $5 for one pair of Global, Northflex or Galeton waterproof insulated gloves
19. $30 hand cranked lantern-flashlight combo with siren, radio and mobile charger
20. $16 four young hens to be free ranged within your sight by day and kept inside with you at night; you'll get at least 2 eggs a day for a few years.  If you substitute a drake and 3 duck hens, you'll get eggs longer, plus a younger generation of ducks to take over laying.  Don't get a rooster for the hens if you want to keep a low profile.
22. $0 large cardboard box cut down to 2' high, can house the hens in your shelter location at night with leaf litter and a container of water.  Share bits of your forage food with them while indoors.
23. $25 medium sized live animal trap
24. $4 Colgate Sensitive toothbrush with Pro-Argin enamel repair/sensitivity relief pen
25. $30 for 4 Spring Valley Vitamin C 500 mg 250 ct (2) twin packs=10 year supply if taken every other day
26. $48 for 20 Nature's Bounty Calcium, Magnesium and Zinc 100 ea= 10 year supply if taken every other day
27. $45 for 18 Ondra multi-vitamin 100 ct to be taken every other day for 10 years.
28. $7 for 1' .999 fine silver jewelers wire cut in half
29. $5 for 5 lb. food grade diatomaceous earth from any feed supply, put a pinch in or on foraged hen food at least every few days to prevent worms in eggs
30. $3 for 3 generic Vicks
31. $7 for a 13.5 pound bag of baking soda
32. $2 first aid kit
33. $2 needle and thread
34. $5 ferro-rod fire starter
35. $10 multi-tool pocket knife
36. $9 for 1 pound sunchoke potato seed to begin a garden using the hen/leaf litter
37. $3 for faux fur winter cap with ear flaps on Ebay
38. $5 for butterbur garden seed (perpetual antihistimines)
39. $5 army surplus mess kit
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:09:04 AM by R.R. Book »

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: tool lists
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 10:21:02 AM »
That looks like a very good list for any (newbie) prepper to go by. Good work, i'd say. And for $ 500 there's no excuse for not getting prepared like that.
I also really like the advice for having ducks or chickens around. I might add, guinea pigs, rabbits or some kind of edible bugs. For survival and calories we must really think animal proteins, but of course ducks and chickens are also invaluable for (future) homesteading [i.e. once you've survived bugging out]; they do wonderful work besides being a supply of steady food. (I'd also like to add that scobies are known for being much quieter than ducks, for not flying away and for being omnivorous [i especially like that they eat spiders, but that's the arachnafobe in me  ;) ].

By the way, i didn't think of it as a 'tool', but my 1 ounce bottles for making MMS i also always keep near. CS is wonderful but doesn't have the immediate kick of MMS. They both have their place and i really must get me a new CS generator. Thanks for the Etsy tip.
survival database

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 04:30:49 PM »
Both of your posts, RR and Socrates, have given me the kick I need.  It's really problematic when one does not plan on leaving an area, but might have to do just that.  Thanks again.

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!