Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Home Study System

Author Topic: Gypsy, Roma, Romani recipes  (Read 1839 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Gypsy, Roma, Romani recipes
« on: October 29, 2017, 07:48:09 PM »
https://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/food/the-real-story-behind-moosewood-cafes-most-famous-recipe

MOOSEWOOD CAFE’S GYPSY SOUP

Serves 4–6

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 medium cloves of garlic, minced
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
2 ribs of celery, chopped
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon turmeric
1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne, plus more to taste
1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 bay leaf
1 can (15 ounces) organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 medium bell pepper, diced
2 medium ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped or 1 can (14 ounces) organic whole San Marzano tomatoes, chopped
¼ cup finely shredded fresh basil, for garnish

1. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the garlic, onions, celery, and sweet potato, and cook, stirring, until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon salt and cook 5 minutes more. Stir in the paprika, turmeric, 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne, cinnamon, and bay leaf. Add 3 cups water, cover, and simmer about 15 minutes.

2. Add the chickpeas, bell pepper, and tomatoes. Cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes longer.

3. Remove the bay leaf and season to taste with salt and cayenne. Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with basil.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Gypsy, Roma, Romani recipes
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 07:48:17 PM »
“Gypsy” Celebration Soup Recipe by Jessica Reidy

Ingredients
•   1 sweet Vidalia onion diced
•   3 cloves garlic minced
•   1 stalk celery diced
•   2 medium-sized carrots diced
•   1 cup Petite Pois (sweet peas), frozen or fresh
•   1 cup chickpeas (I use canned)
•   2 cups diced tomatoes
•   4-5 cups stock (vegetable or chicken works best), depending on how thick you like it
•   2 tablespoons olive oil
•   1 tablespoon smoked paprika
•   ¼ teaspoon black pepper
•   1 dash red pepper
•   1 dash white pepper
•   1 teaspoon cinnamon
•   1 handful fresh basil
•   2 tablespoons fresh parsley
•   ½ teaspoon cumin
•   ½ teaspoon turmeric
•   1 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
•   Optional lemon juice to garnish
Directions
Heat the olive oil on medium heat and add the finely chopped onion and garlic. Sautée until clear (about five minutes).
Add the chopped celery, carrots, and the dried spices. Cover, stirring occasionally, for an additional 10 minutes. Add a few tablespoons of stock if the veggies seem like they might burn.
Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, and stock, and bring to boil. Immediately turn the heat down to medium again and allow the soup to simmer for 15 minutes, partially covered.
Then, add the peas and the fresh basil and parsley and simmer for another five minutes.
Remove from heat and adjust the seasonings as needed. Serve in colorful bowls with optional lemon wedges on the side

More Stories by Jessica Reidy
Jessica Reidy is a Pushcart-nominated writer from New Hampshire. She earned her MFA in Fiction at Florida State University and a B.A. from Hollins University. Read more

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 05:01:30 PM »
Barb, That sounds really tasty! :)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 09:55:19 AM »

That does sound so good. I don't eat pork and no beef anymore but they have lots of those too, of course.
There is a French garlic soup, going to post here although not gypsy, may have Roma roots. Provence. if I can find it again.
BTW do you grow garlic? Do you, ilinda?
:)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 10:00:15 AM »
This is not the same recipe I have stashed somewhere. I would double or triple the amount of the recipe and add more garlic, while I was at it. :)

http://www.eatwell101.com/french-soup-aigo-boulido-recipe

GARLIC SOUP — AÏGO BOULIDO

Water and garlic, are the basic ingredients of this garlic soup, which is like an infusion of herbs. It illustrates one of the oldest culinary traditions of Provence. This soup is traditionally prepared on December 25 evening during the celebrations, for its digestive properties. In old provencal dialect, “Aigo boulido Sauvo le vido” means “Aigo boulido saves lives”!

Preparation : 10 min
Baking: 15 min
Level of difficulty: Easy

INGREDIENTS LIST FOR THE GARLIC SOUP

Serves 4

4 1/4 cups (1 liter) of water
4 tablespoons (30 g) grated cheese
4 cloves garlic
1 egg
olive oil
thyme, bay
salt, pepper
country bread

DIRECTIONS

1. Crush the garlic cloves in a mortar after being peeled.
2. Then dip in boiling water.
3. Add the spices with a drizzle of olive oil.
4. Season.
5. Cook for 10 minutes.
6. Remove the herbs.
7. Add one egg yolk and stir well.
8. Pour the hot soup over toasted bread slices in a bowl or shallow plate.
9. Sprinkle with grated cheese.

Enjoy!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 10:08:03 AM »
Yowbarb Note: This is more like it: Twenty cloves garlic!  A recipe rated 5, the max. Not listed as a Gypsy recipe. I feel the Roma influence is probably there.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/garlic-soup-aigo-boulido.html

Garlic Soup (Aïgo Boulido)
★★★★★
★★★★★ 5 out of 5 stars.   5.0

Prep Time: 25 minutes  Cook Time: 25 minutes  Servings: 6 A variation of this soup runs through most of the alpine regions of France, including the Provençal Alps and the Pyrenees. In these areas, the high concentration of vitamin C present in garlic is looked upon by shepherds—and doting mothers—as a means of warding off winter's ills. Most rustic recipes simply call for stirring egg yolks into the finished soup. This version, with its whole poached eggs, comes from the departmental capital of Digne, long a stopping-off point for alpine tourists and well known for its thermal baths. The city lies on the famous road built by the Romans through Italy to northern France, a byway that later became la Route Napoléon

Ingredients:
8 cups water
20 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
10 fresh sage leaves
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
6 eggs
12 croutons, made from dense
 sourdough bread and grilled (see Note)
2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
6 Tbs. olive oil

Directions:
In a soup pot over high heat, combine the water, garlic and sage. Bring to a boil and boil until the garlic is soft, about 15 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and, using a slotted spoon, scoop out the sage and garlic. Discard the sage and mash the garlic with a fork. Return the garlic to the pot of water and season with salt and pepper.

Return the water to a boil, then reduce the heat so the liquid gently simmers. One at a time, break the eggs into a small bowl and slip into the simmering liquid. Cook until the whites are opaque and the yolks are soft and still liquid, about 2 minutes.

Place 2 croutons in the bottom of each of 6 wide soup bowls. Using a slotted spoon, quickly and carefully remove 1 egg at a time from the simmering soup and place 1 egg on the bread in each bowl. Top each egg with 2 ladlefuls of the soup, then sprinkle with the parsley, dividing evenly. Drizzle 1 Tbs. of the oil into each bowl and serve immediately, before the eggs cook any further. Serves 6.

Note: To grill croutons, rub bread pieces with garlic, if desired, and brush well with olive oil. Preheat a stovetop grill pan over medium-high heat, or prepare a fire in a grill. Grill the bread pieces on one side until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Rotate the pieces 45 degrees and continue grilling on the same side for about 1 minute more to create attractive grill marks. Turn and brown without rotating on the other side, about 1 minute more. Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Savoring Series, Savoring Provence, by Diane Holuigue (Time-Life Books, 2002).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 10:23:34 AM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 10:19:16 AM »

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 11:59:32 AM »
Yum!  I do grow both garlic and garlic chives here.  Have had to move them to the raised galvanized beds though, as something began eating them during the winter.  Having planted over 100 bulbs each autumn, I would watch for them to poke up above the ground in spring only to find them entirely gone. :(

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 06:44:14 PM »

That does sound so good. I don't eat pork and no beef anymore but they have lots of those too, of course.
There is a French garlic soup, going to post here although not gypsy, may have Roma roots. Provence. if I can find it again.
BTW do you grow garlic? Do you, ilinda?
:)
Yes, I grow garlic every year without fail, and it's a bit past my planting time, but have been busy trying to close up the Olive House to protect those little olive trees.

Garlic around here gets planted usually in October, but I've planted it in November or even December, when circumstances force.

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

This uplifting and entertaining guide is written to give you, the reader, confidence and hope through effective leadership techniques and survival community strategies designed for an extended tribulation. Learn more...

Advertise

Marshall's Motto

Destiny comes to those who listen, and fate finds the rest.

So learn what you can learn, do what you can do, and never give up hope!