Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: WEAPONS [hunting, self-defense, other]  (Read 3101 times)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
WEAPONS [hunting, self-defense, other]
« on: October 30, 2017, 05:32:14 PM »
There are ideas here that people might not have thought of that are real options. For instance, i once ran into the Pocket Shot.

[Make your own.]

As the name implies, this is a hunting (or even self-defense) tool that's small, inconspicuous, legal to have with you, easily accessible and still very effective. You can load it with any pebble you find outside so there's never a matter of ammunition running out. And if you've some crossbow bolts, it can become even more lethal.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: slingshots
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 05:37:45 PM »
I became more interested in slingshots after looking at Alone season 3 winner Zach Fowler talking about and whittling them. And then (on his channel) he goes out to this guy who makes really cool ones. Now imagine whittling one of those...

(Still trying to figure out how to make rubber from scratch... [dandelion will provide latex and ants have the right acid to turn the latex into rubber, but how to extract it...? Not there yet. (Add 50% charcoal and you got real tire rubber)].)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 01:35:58 AM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: slingshots
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 06:18:58 PM »
I became more interested in slingshots after looking at Alone season 3 winner Zach Fowler talking about and whittling them. And then (on his channel) he goes out to this guy who makes really cool ones. Now imagine whittling one of those...

(Still trying to figure out how to make rubber from scratch... [dandelion will provide latex and ants have the right acid to turn the latex into rubber, but how to extract it...? Not there yet. Add 50% charcoal and you got real rubber].)
Is the "latex" from fig trees or wild lettuce a good substitute for dandelion latex?

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: latex
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 03:25:29 AM »
Usually one uses the rubber tree. Downside: they take decades to grow.
During WW II they used lettuce instead, but dandelion also works.

rubber tree
Fig trees work too? Good to know. I'm getting to love fig trees...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 01:34:08 AM by Socrates »
survival database

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
The Cold Steel Shovel
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 01:17:09 AM »

I received my Cold Steel shovel and damn! this thing is heavy and not tiny.
This is definitely a serious weapon. But maybe one of it's greatest features is that it appears quite innocuous; it's just a shovel, right? So when one runs into FEMA or any other 'authority' powertrippers, what they gonna do? Take your shovel away...?

The edges are tapered and sharpened by many to a fine edge, i.e. one effectively used for chopping wood, etc.
This is therefore clearly a 'dual purpose' item, but one about very important purposes indeed.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 01:32:26 AM by Socrates »
survival database

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: WEAPONS [hunting, self-defense, other]
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 05:17:37 AM »
Socrates, Nice shovel!  Is that snow that we see on your vehicle? :)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: pic
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 08:14:38 AM »
Just a nice pic i found of the shovel; both the tailgate and the regular shovel give one a fair idea of it's size.
survival database

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: latex
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 04:54:02 PM »
Usually one uses the rubber tree. Downside: they take decades to grow.
During WW II they used lettuce instead, but dandelion also works.

rubber tree
Fig trees work too? Good to know. I'm getting to love fig trees...
I don't know how good fig trees "work", but the "latex" in them can be harvested and used as a livestock dewormer.  It has been used for years in some South American locales, and I occasionally read about this in herb books.  So, it's impossible to know if fig latex works in the same way as the "white stuff exuded" from other plants.  But worth a try, especailly if you have mature fig trees.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 05:06:57 PM »
There are ideas here that people might not have thought of that are real options. For instance, i once ran into the Pocket Shot.

[Make your own.]

As the name implies, this is a hunting (or even self-defense) tool that's small, inconspicuous, legal to have with you, easily accessible and still very effective. You can load it with any pebble you find outside so there's never a matter of ammunition running out. And if you've some crossbow bolts, it can become even more lethal.

Awesome idea. Legal over there? Wonder if here too...

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 05:18:39 PM »

[Make your own.]

Awesome idea. Legal over there? Wonder if here too...
My best guess is the legality could be state-by-state here. 

Remember the "potato gun", in which a long tube is used, think plumbing pipe, and at one end the potato is placed, while at the user end is where the hairspray is sprayed immediately before the "strike".  I think they were causing so many injuries and damage that in some localities they were outlawed.

This Pocket Shot, though, sounds better, with its smaller size and better portability.

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 10:49:18 AM »
Re: 2018 Daily Headlines, MSM & NON-MSM Reportings
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2018, 04:40:56 PM »

So two of the lessons we might be learning from Jim's ongoing reports of pit-bull attacks:

1. Never have a pit bull in a family with frail or vulnerable members, such as the elderly or children.  Possibly never have a pit bull regardless.  Lots of other choices exist of course, with animal shelters being full of sweet tempered dogs that might make loyal watchdogs and desperately need a home.

2. People who live where feral dogs roam might want to carry mace and/or wear knee-high boots for walking, and possibly carry a gun or noise-maker, or maybe a walking stick or umbrella.  Or possibly some irresistible treat that could be tossed a distance to divert attacking dogs?

I always carry a high-luminosity flashlight.  It is bright enough to blind man or beast, even several of them, and is useful for other purposes also, of course.

If you need to hit an animal, aim for the throat.  For humans, the best target is usually the knees.  (So I have read - never tried it)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 12:55:13 PM »
Some good thoughts Jim! What brand is the flashlight that you carry?

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 02:42:56 PM »
Re: 2018 Daily Headlines, MSM & NON-MSM Reportings
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2018, 04:40:56 PM »

So two of the lessons we might be learning from Jim's ongoing reports of pit-bull attacks:

1. Never have a pit bull in a family with frail or vulnerable members, such as the elderly or children.  Possibly never have a pit bull regardless.  Lots of other choices exist of course, with animal shelters being full of sweet tempered dogs that might make loyal watchdogs and desperately need a home.

2. People who live where feral dogs roam might want to carry mace and/or wear knee-high boots for walking, and possibly carry a gun or noise-maker, or maybe a walking stick or umbrella.  Or possibly some irresistible treat that could be tossed a distance to divert attacking dogs?

I always carry a high-luminosity flashlight.  It is bright enough to blind man or beast, even several of them, and is useful for other purposes also, of course.

If you need to hit an animal, aim for the throat.  For humans, the best target is usually the knees.  (So I have read - never tried it)
Knees are probably a good target, as we watched a self-defense video some years ago and a few of the tidbits really stuck in my mind:  one was that by whacking someone across the middle of the knee, not flat-handed, but using the edge of the palm, one can likely dislocate a knee, as it takes, according to video, only about 15 pounds of pressure to dislocate a knee in this way.

A second thing that really stuck in my mind's eye was their showing how a similar whack against the thyroid can disable about anyone.  So we have "upper" and "lower", depending on whether someone is being held in such a way as to be "high" or "low", and surely at some point, the intended victim might be planning to go for either thyroid or knee.

And thanks for that high'intensity flashlight idea.  Most of us, if unarmed, would never stand a chance against a frothing, foaming, snarling, growling pit bull ready to attack, except for that handly little flashlight.  Excellent!

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 05:59:31 PM »
Good to have self-defense methods for more than one situation in mind.  My father and brothers taught me one single karate technique, the only thing I know:  If one is ever grabbed on the arm or wrist, move the same arm/wrist/hand forcefully toward the assailant's thumb and he or she won't be able (theoretically) to maintain the hold.  Other than that I just stay out of most situations by being home at night and remaining in the company of others, or at least in a crowd of shoppers, in the daytime. :)

Jimfarmer

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 09:29:59 PM »
Some good thoughts Jim! What brand is the flashlight that you carry?

"BrightMax 3000"  but some newer ones are even brighter (more lumens).  Variable focus.  Newer ones have steady, flashing, and SOS options.

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY SMART AND DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME

This book needs to be on your survival checklist because it offers a simple path for visioning, leading, and supervising the creation of an effective survival communications strategy.

Learn more...