Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: DOGS  (Read 1209 times)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
DOGS
« on: February 11, 2018, 11:37:16 PM »
"Man's best friend"

So much to say about dogs; the intelligence of a 2-year-old but (sometimes) the loyalty and strength of a grown (strong) man...
Anyway, from the Chihuahua [one of the best watch dogs in the world] to the strongest, most agile or most versatile breed, there is much to consider
- what is your location?
- what do you have for feed/food?
- how much space do you have?

- etc.

Talking survival vs everyday life, such conditions vary considerably; the Chihuahau eats next to nothing, but then there's strength, agility, stamina, energy and speed... I have found no better all-round dog than the Rhodesian Ridgeback in this regard.

I just ran into this vid on 'the strongest dogs in the world and was inspired to post it.
Much to consider and why wasn't there some explicit thread on dogs already, hmmm...?

Get a god, uhh, dog; yeah...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 11:56:17 PM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Malinois
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 12:24:23 AM »

Malinois.
Following comments on a previous link i posted, i ran into the Malinois, a Belgian shepherd breed; being half large but smart, perhaps ideal in a survival situation [i.e. in which a large animal would be difficult to feed but a small animal would be next-to-useless].
(For me living [alas] in the Netherlands [still; sigh] at this time, this is perhaps a self-serving post; still, in general, such canine considerations may be considered general and useful.)
[BTW, i hate German Shepherds, but this breed i find friendly and attractive; beauty is in the eye of the beholder, i guess, eh.]

[Melchelse Herder vs Rhodesian Ridgeback
Personal note: my first dog was a border collie mutt that was distant with other dogs [i assumed due to her superior intelligence]; her 'best friend' was this Melchelse Herder [i.e. Malinois] we regularly saw outside.
Dogspot: Malinois vs Ridgeback; based on this consideration, though the differences may appear subtle, i'd still go for the Ridgeback if one can manage the costs. On the other hand, the Malinois is definitely a great option in case the costs of purchase and upkeep of a Ridgeback offend.]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 01:23:15 AM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: DOGS
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 05:23:55 AM »
He's a very handsome and intelligent-looking fellow, and I see your point about the advantages of a medium-sized dog over the huge or smaller breeds.

What do you think of Newfoundlands?

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:42:32 AM by R.R. Book »

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 05:26:27 AM »
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 11:53:12 AM by Socrates »

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Belgian Malinois
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 11:19:41 AM »

Seriously, i saw a similar photo and text and can't keep but laughing out loud.
I made my own and uploaded it to share.

ADVANTAGES:
- medium size [i.e. doesn't eat too much]
- very smart
- indefatigable
- loyal
- protective
- aggressive

CONS:
- demands a lot of exercise, i.e. attention, i.e energy
- if they ever escape, become feral and breed, ya don't want these guys as enemies...

This is really a breed you want a whole family/community participating in keeping 'm busy. I would say it is not a one man job. That's why the Malinois is ranked the 52nd most popular dog [while the German Shepherd is ranked 2nd, for instance]. On the other hand, if you've the space and resources, this dog will do the work of several dogs all by itself.
Imagine having to deal with coyotes and the like; this is not the heaviest dog but [perhaps outside of a Kangal] you will find none more fierce [but try feeding a Kangal; and they're so noisy...].

What do you think of Newfoundlands?
So big, so hungry... And what do they contribute?
It really all depends on climate; Rhodesian Ridgebacks come from Africa and perform well in warm climates; and this is another consideration in relation to the Malinois, for they are most comfortable in a colder clime. And then there are dogs like Newfoundlanders; if you are in a (very) cold climate, this is perhaps a very useful animal [though i may be considering the Great Pyrenees instead, with today's access to all breeds and all information...]. But who would want to be caught in such a climate at world's end?, i ask...
Even with dogs, again, it's about location location location...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 12:02:19 PM by Socrates »
survival database

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 02:41:57 PM »
Had to look up the Kangal:  :)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: Kangal
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 10:55:19 AM »
[beautiful pic!] The Kangal... So massive, so strong, so fast
... but so INTENSE. If you don't mind the barking and the food requirements, it is the ultimate dog in a way.

Anyway, was youtubing and ran into this vid on what dog to choose; small, big, fast, slow, cuddly, cute... so many issues.
survival database

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 11:48:13 AM »
I couldn't help taking some favorite screenshots from that film...

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: malinois
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 12:33:39 AM »

Looks like the German Sherpherd just got served...

survival database

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 03:59:34 AM »
The intelligence is so evident in his eyes.

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

Buying radio technology you need but do not understand is a big impediment to creating an affordable consumer (CB/SSB CB/FRS/GMRS) and amateur (MF/HF/VHF/UHF) two-way radio survival network. Learn more...