Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: DOGS  (Read 3102 times)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Australian Cattle Dog [red and blue heeler]
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2019, 08:36:35 AM »

I saw someone walking a dog and i thought; now that is an amazing looking dog for it's size; it looks smart, strong, fast, but i didn't know what it was. I ran into the dog again and asked.

I mentioned about the Malinois that it's not as allround as the Ridgeback perhaps, but at least it's smaller and therefore requires less to feed. Well, i think the Australian Cattle Dog is the next step down in size while still being a very competent and worthwhile dog to have in a pinch. However, as easy-going as the Ridgeback is [as long as it gets it's daily exercise of 1 or 2 hours running] and as much work as the Malinois is by comparison, the Australian Cattle Dog seems to be even more work.
It looks like the smaller the good dogs are, the more work they are.
If you think this breed might be interesting, check out this vid on The Top 5 Dealbreakers of owning an ACD.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 08:51:25 AM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: DOGS
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2019, 10:08:25 AM »
So the Australian Cattle Dog is not the same as the Australian Shepherd...

I love those.  My mother had a pair of them named "Tisket" and "Tasket," which my toddlers pronounced "Stiggett" and "Staggett."  :)

The shepherds seemed ideal around small children, which the cattle dogs are probably not bred for.

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: shepherd v cattle dog
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2019, 05:09:27 AM »
Interestingly enough i couldn't find a vid on shepherd vs cattle dog. Honestly, though, i think we're talking two very different breeds and i see cattle dogs going toe-to-toe with German Shepherds which i can't imagine border collies or australian shepherds doing [the kind of breed comparison one can find].

I watched some vids on cattle dogs vs coyotes and other dogs and i think their strength lies in the fact that they're dominant, indefatiquable and consistently on the attack, even at play, whereas other breeds seem more laid back and 'slow'.
Like i said, for their size they're a force to reckon with and that's due to their unusual fierceness as well as their robust form [not forgetting their speed and smarts]. This is very different from the more slank breeds like collie en australian shepherd; these rely almost entirely on speed and smarts, limiting their options. So what i'm saying is that the cattle dog similarly has speed and smarts but also ferocity and strength. And all of that wrapped up in a medium-sized dog that'll survive on next to nothing.

Frankly, i also think it's loyalty toward only 1 or 2 masters is a wonderful attribute in a post-apocalyptic scenario in which you really don't want anyone[!] you have not carefully vetted coming anywhere near you. The cattle dog's nature to fiercely protect it's master could wind up saving your life and the last thing you'd want in a life-or-death scenario is a dog that can be seduced into letting a seemingly harmless or friendly stranger come in close. The also territorial cattle dog bites first and asks questions later...  8)
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: DOGS
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2019, 09:09:05 AM »
Some images of the cattle dog that I viewed made me think that they might have a bit of a wild strain in their genetics maybe, rather than being over-bred like many possibly more domesticated dogs?  If so, then they may have better health than some bloodlines with in-bred issues?

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: dingos
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2019, 12:57:53 PM »
They were bred from dingos, so that explains the wildness.
Unfortunately they appear to suffer from deafness and blindness. Indeed, the woman i spoke to here said her dog was deaf.
But in the long run that just means improving on the breed and culling the pack. But, hey, better a pack that needs culling than no pack at all.
survival database

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY NOW

In a post-global disaster world, predators and tyrants will have the best two-way radios, and they'll use them to surveil you at a comfortable distance.

What will you have? Signal flares and red bandannas?

If so, when you least expect it, the predators and tyrants will come to take a spoil and they will torture, rape, and kill without mercy.

This is why Radio Free Earth authors Marshall Masters and Duane W. Brayton have an urgent message for everyone with a serious interest in preparedness. That being, analog RF (radio frequency) is the heartbeat of freedom. Accept no substitutes.

Watch our free videos to learn how to stay safe and free with an affordable strategy for two way communication, both near and far.

Welcome to Radio
Free Earth

Why Radio
Free Earth

Post-Disaster
Communications

Citizens Band Radios
for Survival

BUY NOW