Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: Food shortages materializing  (Read 8633 times)

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Food shortages materializing
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2019, 03:41:25 PM »
Agreed.  Nearly all of our apples, plums and grapes were taken by squirrels this year.  I actually saw one little fellow running away with a small apple in his mouth, one in his front left paw, and every few paces dropping that one to go back and pick up a third one that was left behind.

Am resorting to baby socks over the tree fruits next year - we'll see if it works. 

Meanwhile, all ideas for squirrel control are welcome!

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2019, 05:01:15 PM »
The only thing I know about squirrel control involves cutting down all trees and vegetation, especially trees nearby which can be used as a "launching pad" to jump to your prized fruit/nut tree, if it is fenced in such a way as to discourage squirrels.

Rather than "fencing" the prized fruit/nut trees from squirrels (which rarely if ever works anyway), I envision a barrier that can be easily constructed each summer, then dismantled each fall. 

This barrier must be metal or very slick plastic, but I lean toward metal.  I'll try to describe it.  Picture a smoothe metal cylinder that you have placed around the tree from the ground upwards, that is at least 4-5' high, better yet 6'.  Now, slowly but surely reduce the diameter of the bottom of this cylinder, and possibly enlarge the diameter of the uppermost part, so that you have a cone-shaped barrier.  If this cone-shaped barrier made of ?flashing? or metal roofing panels or ? is held in place well, squirrels would have great difficulty scaling the cylinder-turned-cone, because they would have to not only go upward, but would be going upward and backward at the same time.  Squirrels can jump, there are limits to that and that's why the cylinder must be taller than they can jump.

Then if that's not totally reliable, electro-net or some other form of wildlife repellant using low-impedance charging could be added.  The only problem with this electric solution is that we bought the stuff to do it, then discovered a wide variety of wildlife can get caught and even electrocuted in these things.

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2019, 06:17:33 PM »
Thanks - Some interesting ideas to ponder Ilinda. 

One of our problems is that several of our most mature fruit trees are inside of the fenced henyard, with tall wooden posts that squirrels jump onto from adjacent tree tops which reach upward from a thicketed gully that would be difficult to navigate for felling, though we have cut back the slimmer ones nearest to the fence.

I've occasionally seen the Amish use metal caps on the fence posts, but suppose that they use their hunting rifles on the critters as well.

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2019, 04:28:51 PM »
Here we go again with one of those strange mass flour recalls, this time due to a dubious contamination with E. coli.   How is it possible that such an organism could be present in any threatening quantity in a product that is bone dry?

Nevertheless, 600,000 pounds of Gold Medal unbleached flour has been withdrawn from the marketplace.  Notice once again that only the better flour is affected...all the more reason to suspect that it has been ferreted away into elite underground bunkers?

My guess is that these ludicrous product recalls are necessary in order to satisfy regulatory bodies.  Perhaps someone doesn't want the Commodities Futures Trading Commission to think that someone was tampering with the wheat market, which a sudden tightening of the supply chain conceivably could accomplish...

Any other rationales?

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/health/General-Mills-Recalls-Gold-Medal-Flour-for-E-Coli-Risk-560566881.html

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2019, 07:41:46 PM »
R.R. well, you may be right about this...

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2019, 10:40:48 AM »
R.R. well, you may be right about this...
I think RR is right, and that the 600,000 pounds of flour is in storage for one or more elite groups.  And the oddity is why is it the higher quality flour that is affected?

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2019, 11:19:14 AM »
Perhaps the 1% are well enough informed to know that bleached flour interferes with iodine uptake in the body, and that iodine will likely be of critical importance to health in the future, maybe even more so than now as earth becomes increasingly radioactive...

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2019, 12:44:30 PM »
Good point.  Wonder what else is being "recalled" for the same reasons.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2019, 11:46:05 PM »
This may have already been posted months or years ago, but here you go:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/un-warns-the-declining-be_b_9360274

U.N. Warns the Declining Bee Population Is Going to Devastate Our Food Supply
03/01/2016 05:36 pm ET Updated Dec 06, 2017

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2019, 03:15:14 AM »
Am hoping more folks will take up beekeeping Barb, even if not living on a farm  :)

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2019, 03:57:31 PM »
Same here.  In the video, Queen of the Sun, one beekeeper lives in London or some UK town and it shows him climbing a ladder to get to his hives on the roof.  Looks like a great operation, and was featured in a wonderful video.   There are many links, but one is:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1645852/

We want to get back to bees again.  I truly believe that because of honeybees' rather small range, (several mile radius, probably never more than 5), they have a chance of surviving only in pockets.  I'm thinking of "Bee Islands" possibly in a Sea of Neonics, but with a  good forested border, I think they have a chance--as long as there are enough thinking humans left in the Bee Islands who want to help our buzzy friends.

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2019, 10:23:43 AM »
Agreed.  Thank you so much for that link - I loved how the one fellow cared for his bees in his bare skin, and tickled them with his moustache.  Absolutely priceless!  Will rent the full film this weekend when the whole family is around.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 10:41:26 AM by R.R. Book »

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2019, 01:53:50 PM »
You will not be let down.  If you have a lot of free time (LOL) maybe you could post a review?  It's been a few years since I saw it, but it did blow my mind to learn of so many caring individuals out  there, working with their bees.  And IIRC Jacqueline Freeman is the one who is seen capturing a swarm.

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2019, 07:13:34 AM »
Will do Ilinda.  :)

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY NOW

In a post-global disaster world, predators and tyrants will have the best two-way radios, and they'll use them to surveil you at a comfortable distance.

What will you have? Signal flares and red bandannas?

If so, when you least expect it, the predators and tyrants will come to take a spoil and they will torture, rape, and kill without mercy.

This is why Radio Free Earth authors Marshall Masters and Duane W. Brayton have an urgent message for everyone with a serious interest in preparedness. That being, analog RF (radio frequency) is the heartbeat of freedom. Accept no substitutes.

Watch our free videos to learn how to stay safe and free with an affordable strategy for two way communication, both near and far.

Welcome to Radio
Free Earth

Why Radio
Free Earth

Post-Disaster
Communications

Citizens Band Radios
for Survival

BUY NOW