Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: How Prepared Are You ???  (Read 9837 times)

Steve_T

Re: How Prepared Are You ???
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 05:49:12 PM »
Though in the time after there will be two kinds of invaders, those who pass through , probably with a sizable force, think gangs/ bikers former Military not locked in the bunkers and fending for there own... And the New local powers that be, in some locals it should not be unexpected if there are plenty of survivors, then one group will be bigger and probably try to rebuild. For my approach I know that colonization will be high on my list of to do's and if faced with a superior force, then negotiation. They won't want to lose too many of there own, and though they know they will win, if they also know it will be a superior drain on there resources while they recover little Or if you are worth more alive, (and not by food stores, but knowledge), then you may be allowed to be; through some kind of agreement. Thats why i tell folks to learn what they can: even making arrows, or purifying water in mass, think of what you can do, and expand on it with to days resources so that mayhaps even if it's not a survival skill it might be useful enough to some group to keep you alive if not comfortable.

But if you plan to bunker down be prepped to start making food @ some point as fresh will be better, and the resources spent hording 1+ years of food could be put to better use say building a really good wind mill and burying 3 or 4 tractor trailers with a good Hydro set up and a few hundred dollars of non modified seeds. And prep your defenses to be lethal and renewable wood on springs, Scalding hot water/ used oil, things like that ;D

I just started thinking along these lines.

I wish I lived closer to you and knew you well enough to partner up with you. A very valuable asset you'd be to any community.

noproblemo2

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 06:15:48 PM »
Though in the time after there will be two kinds of invaders, those who pass through , probably with a sizable force, think gangs/ bikers former Military not locked in the bunkers and fending for there own... And the New local powers that be, in some locals it should not be unexpected if there are plenty of survivors, then one group will be bigger and probably try to rebuild. For my approach I know that colonization will be high on my list of to do's and if faced with a superior force, then negotiation. They won't want to lose too many of there own, and though they know they will win, if they also know it will be a superior drain on there resources while they recover little Or if you are worth more alive, (and not by food stores, but knowledge), then you may be allowed to be; through some kind of agreement. Thats why i tell folks to learn what they can: even making arrows, or purifying water in mass, think of what you can do, and expand on it with to days resources so that mayhaps even if it's not a survival skill it might be useful enough to some group to keep you alive if not comfortable.

But if you plan to bunker down be prepped to start making food @ some point as fresh will be better, and the resources spent hording 1+ years of food could be put to better use say building a really good wind mill and burying 3 or 4 tractor trailers with a good Hydro set up and a few hundred dollars of non modified seeds. And prep your defenses to be lethal and renewable wood on springs, Scalding hot water/ used oil, things like that ;D

I just started thinking along these lines.

I wish I lived closer to you and knew you well enough to partner up with you. A very valuable asset you'd be to any community.
I'll second that !!!!!!

augonit

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 07:44:17 AM »
Does anybody know how difficult it would be to have a wood burning fireplace installed in your house?  I'm talking about one big enough to cook in if you have too.  Thanks.

noproblemo2

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 08:27:17 AM »
Does anybody know how difficult it would be to have a wood burning fireplace installed in your house?  I'm talking about one big enough to cook in if you have too.  Thanks.
They are no different than a fireplace, actually esier to install, just be sure to get the right insulated stove pipes to prevent fires.

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 10:14:34 AM »

heck! where I'm from there is still 30 % of homes with one. Though the cost of buying a new one (iron) is outrageous, hit up rural auctions and antique supplies, they may need a bit of welding but end of day you'll be saving a butt load of $ and will hav a very usable stove, in the place we call the home, each cabin has a 2 pot 4x3 wood burned in them for independent heating, and emergency cooking, the main Dinning/ meeting hall has a custom one made from slabs of cast Iron 8" thick i got from a past work project, i can fit 15 lbs of wood pellets or 6 logs 1 ft diameter, by 4 ft long, though it's all hard wood up there so we don't go so long in the cutter/splitter. We can cook pizza's in it, or 8 trays of standard oven dishes, we have also wraped the exhaust (smoke stack) with copper tubing and it has a gravity fed pump which runs glycol through it heating the entire building, and making up to 120 Liters of scalding hot glycol with 3 "nozzles" for turning the heating source into a weapon  ;D

thanks folk for the above praise, during the summer months {though not sure bout this summer will depend if we see a second sun in the sky, But} i do travel to other communities and appraise there readiness, free of charge, just have to get me there and feed me while I'm down (and help if I'm fixing stuff) 8) I don't know when but for sure I'm in Edmonton late spring as I have some friends out there building a third sanctuary and well none are 12v electrically gifted, and my most firm suggestion is keep your power on, even if it's just enough for a ground well and one freezer... I have chatted some with other western Canada folks, once i know a date (bought ticket, and set up meeting place) I'll post it on here so if any want to come and meet up, or take advantage of my knowledge base...

Just take advantage of the still limping along society as gathering some tools and resource will be impossible, Just last night i was eating some mini oranges and my Boy mentioned to me how we should enjoy them while we can, it's simple things like that that many forget, or a warm shower.... :-\
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

augonit

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 07:44:25 AM »
I meant an actual wood burning fireplace, not a cook stove.  I'm talking about having to have a chimney built, and one large enough, (wide enough) to cook in.

Deathanyl

• Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 12:25:40 PM »
up load a google pic of what you're thinking so i can in vision :-\ it...
Remember Knowledge is the only thing THEY can't take from you, and Knowledge is Know how, and Know how is Power!!!

Alfred Williams

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 06:06:28 AM »
Augonit, consider an Old time wood cooking/heating/water heating type old stove the big old wide fireplace will suck your heat out and rescorces may be scarce, even the stove/ fireplace flew could be a ceramic fireplace flue but made with a good seal and take advantage of the flew heat and have a good surface that can be easily cleaned the ceramic flew liner is a great way to build your fireplace but leave an air space around the ceramic flew case and pump your house air though the space(check local codes).
  I am just a believer in throwing all ideas out there. I try to take every angle for my best shot. Everyone needs to be self sufficient bit you may at some point have to give up mechanical luxurys like chainsaws and all things requiring a source of power. On refrigeration even a gas refrigerator or driven systems, even if you could easily move heat about the mechanicals and tracking system will go the way of the chain saw as far as getting parts etc. To be self sufficient now depends on what you an actualize. Good luck to all and just remember we should always be open and it will give us a chance. I will asert as well if you can get a Sterling Cycle refrigerator once sold by Coleman you can freeze ice( another Luxury) and if you have many you could do a lot of heat pumping/energy production{{:>)
It is not what you know.
It is what you do with what you know!!

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2016, 03:50:40 PM »
Perhaps the DUMBs?  :o Naw, that couldn't be true... or could it?  :-X Hmmm... I wouldn't know cuz I'm not on the list.
We miss you, dude!

MadMax

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2016, 05:58:44 PM »
Saw this today thought that it was a good reminder for us all!

https://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/

Max.

"Ignorance is Bliss" - (Agent Smith the first Matrix Movie)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: heating and TEOMCROTE
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2016, 01:14:53 AM »

You can build a rocket mass heater [RMH] yourself. That's good now and in any future (in which you at least have a steel barrel to use).
A RMH doesn't waste fuel like even the most efficient standard heaters do which send hot air outside and that also means that you don't give off signs to the outside world that a place is being heated... You also need a lot less fuel!

Above posts on preparedness seem to me to be based on the assumption/hope   ??? of a limited cataclysm.
I have never been okay with such an assumption, for it doesn't take into account that mankind should go back at least hundreds of thousands of years and yet we're all taught at school that we came out of a 'Stone Age' some 20,000 years ago. So, mankind was sitting on his butt for all those years before then? I say there's no logic to such reasoning.
The only thing that makes sense is that there is not only frequent global destruction (as many scientific disciplines point to independent of each other) but that it's so bad that our direct ancestors were thrown back into a stone age by whatever comes along. What comes along? Who knows? All we know is that the previous generation didn't survive, not in bunkers, not in underground cities and not anywhere else we know of. It seems a handful of people managed to survive in caves though these few did not bring with them things like the books we consider [well, I do] essential to 'civilization'.
[Therefore i usually no longer speak of TEOTWAWKI but rather of TEOMCROTE: The End Of Mankind's Current Reign Over The Earth]

So, having said all that... i'm not preparing so i'll be able to either scavenge or fight; i'm preparing to rebuild, and that from scratch. So am i prepared for that...?
I have 2 stashes of books buried at altitude, one on the island of La Gomera and one in Morocco. These stashes also contain seeds. I wish to make more such stashes [at least one] and next time i'll include the Oxford Picture Dictionary; then, if someone in some future finds the books but doesn't speak English, the books won't go to waste [god willing].
My proper library which i've been assembling these past years i wish to move to some cave together with my other main supplies.
I agree that survival and rebuilding are mainly about knowledge, especially about proper soil management, diet theory and food preparations [fermentation etc.].

Unfortunately, due to terrible setbacks i've recently had to deal with (that are really just an extension of setbacks carrying on for years already...) i still have loads of work to do. I feel i'm pretty much done gathering information but actual physical preparations are still wanting. I've also learned that my body isn't in good enough shape to deal with hiking with (at least) 20kg so workouts to remedy this are now part of my daily regimen.
Preparing is a way of life for me for the time being, i.e. until i'm satisfied with what setup(s) i've accomplished.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 01:35:18 AM by Socrates »
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 02:13:25 PM »
Posting this simple pie chart of categories of preparing. 

What is your weakest area of prepping?

Though I've been prepping a good while, am thinking I could find flaws in each and every area of my own readiness...

P.S. I notice that they don't include an energy category, which those of us in the North must consider in winter.  Maybe it's included under Shelter...

https://survivalistprepper.net/category/prepping-skill/
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 02:37:47 PM by R.R. Book »

MadMax

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 03:06:50 PM »
Now if you really get desprate for a good meal:  ??? ???

MadMax

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2019, 03:10:09 PM »
I've also learned that my body isn't in good enough shape to deal with hiking with (at least) 20kg so workouts to remedy this are now part of my daily regimen.

Socrates I am curious what do you feel is your “ideal weight” for a light weight bug out bag?

Thanks,
Max

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 04:57:16 PM »
Now if you really get desprate for a good meal:  ??? ???

That photo looked too real...

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY NOW

In a post-global disaster world, predators and tyrants will have the best two-way radios, and they'll use them to surveil you at a comfortable distance.

What will you have? Signal flares and red bandannas?

If so, when you least expect it, the predators and tyrants will come to take a spoil and they will torture, rape, and kill without mercy.

This is why Radio Free Earth authors Marshall Masters and Duane W. Brayton have an urgent message for everyone with a serious interest in preparedness. That being, analog RF (radio frequency) is the heartbeat of freedom. Accept no substitutes.

Watch our free videos to learn how to stay safe and free with an affordable strategy for two way communication, both near and far.

Welcome to Radio
Free Earth

Why Radio
Free Earth

Post-Disaster
Communications

Citizens Band Radios
for Survival

BUY NOW