Win-Win Survival Communities The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Radio Free Earth

Author Topic: Long-term storage cooking oils/fats for survival  (Read 323 times)

R.R. Book

• Members
  • Prolific Member
Long-term storage cooking oils/fats for survival
« on: December 21, 2019, 06:23:17 PM »
This important topic seems to need its own separate thread, as it had become buried in another thread.

So if no one minds, I'm copying and reposting it here, so that we can refer back to it easily:

Almost all of the fats I have stored for long term are Lard, Beef Tallow, homemade butter, Sunflower oil and Olive oil (in that order). I use pig fat/lard and beef tallow/fat in soaps too but, I make two versions of both the lard and tallow. For the long term storage of the pig fat we will be eating or using in preparation of food, I mainly only use the Leaf Lard. which is the lard/fat that surrounds the kidneys and is on the inside of the chest cavity in the pig. That is the best and cleanest fat and also the fat that you can make yummy pastries, pie crusts etc. with. The regular pig fat that is found throughout the rest of the pig I just call "pig fat" (That fat is also good to eat but I feel it is a lesser quality) and I render that down for making soap, laundry soap etc. I don't use pig fat or beef fat in any body products, such as creams, lotions, etc.

What is also good about pig fat/lard and beef fat/tallow is that if it has gone rancid, you can "clean" it. Get a big stainless steel pot, fill it half way with spring water, distilled or non chlorinated water. Empty out the rancid pig or beef fat into the water and bring it all to a rolling boil. Lower the temperature and let it simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes. Set it somewhere to cool, if winter, put it outside somewhere and when the fat has solidified, you can just lift that whole "lid" of fat right out of the pot. Smell it, check the color and if you are not satisfied with it, repeat the procedure boiling it with new clean water, until you once again have a pure white sweet smelling fat... Put a clean pot on the stove and place the cleaned fat disk in the pot. Melt it down and let it slowly simmer, not cook. Do this as long as you can see that there are "bubbles" in the fat coming up from the bottom. Those bubbles mean that there is water in the fat and you want to get rid of as much as that as possible before pouring back into a jar. You can do the same with beef fat/tallow. I don't know of any other fats you can do that with. Could most likely do the same with bear, moose, elk and other animal fats but, I haven't tried those. I also do this with our saved bacon grease... You wouldn't know that it was once a yellowish squishy bacon fat when it's been cleaned this way. However, I do write "cleaned bacon grease" on the jar and use it, before I use any of the other canned fats.

The last pig we got I canned ALL the fat for food consumption. That was the most beautiful (if you can call pig fat beautiful?) pure white clean fat I have ever seen on a pig. Not just the leaf lard but ALL of the fat. It was from a very large sow that had never had babies, and she was BIG... I spent the better part of 3 days non stop rendering and canning ALL the fat I had been given. I ended up with 35 quarts of pure white quality lard. I pressure cook the rendered lard and tallow the same as I would any other meat products or butter in the pressure cooker, at the recommended times for meat products, depending on size of jar and weight according to our altitude. We're above 2000 feet. I know that both lard and tallow have a very long shelf life if you have processed them correctly. That is also why pemmican if made correctly will last more or less forever.

Like I wrote, normally, I will only store the leaf lard from a pig for human consumption and the rest of the fat is for my bath and body products. Same with Beef Tallow. Beef Tallow also has the "kidney fat" and I do the same with what I do with the leaf lard from the pig.

//Solani

You can sometimes find Leaf Lard in food stores but, most of the time you need to buy it directly from the butcher or, if you know someone that has pigs. You can many times get it free from both the butcher and people that raise their own pigs, that is if they’re not “prepper minded” or old school themselves. The Leaf Lard is the purest fat on the pig, same with the beef or any other animal for that matter. It is definitely worth checking into and buying to render down into usable cooking/baking fat. When canned, it has a long shelf life. Leaf Lard is even healthier than real butter and has more Omega and other vitamins. When it comes to beef, it’s called beef tallow or kidney fat. I still wouldn’t want to spread either on a slice of bread, there I still prefer real butter. But, I know I might eventually have to get used to it… No margarine allowed in our house…

//Solani

I will add ghee, since it supposedly keeps indefinitely frozen in a jar:

Ghee can be stored, unopened, in a cool, dark, not-necessarily-refrigerated place for 9 months. Once opened, a jar can be kept on your counter top for 3 months. Beyond that, the open jar can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 year. (Source) A jar of ghee in the freezer at 0°F can be kept indefinitely.Mar 25, 2014

(Source)  https://www.foodiewithfamily.com/homemade-ghee-how-and-why-you-should-make-it-and-what-it-is/

R.R. Book

• Members
  • Prolific Member
Re: Long-term storage cooking oils/fats for survival
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 06:40:51 PM »
The Townsends Youtube channel, which Socrates has recommended for its Early American primitive living tutorials, actually sells canned beef tallow made from kidney fat which they claim has an indefinite storage life of "years," though it's expensive:

Home Study System

Home Study System
Save 30%

BUY NOW

The ideal win-win survival community library reference system offers a broad range of valuable survival skills and knowledge. Ideal those in preparedness, it provides in-depth knowledge about how to form communities and operate two-way communications.

For human needs, it also includes a low-impact energy self-healing art and an essential role for seniors in survival communities.

A special note for those of you living outside the United States, we optimized this system for the lowest possible Priority Mail costs.

4 Paperbacks and 6 DVDs

Win-Win Survival Communities Signed

Radio Free Earth Color (Color Editon) Signed

Complete Danjeon Breathing System w/6 DVDs

Survival Wellness Advocacy and the BIG WIN

BUY NOW