Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: Microfarming  (Read 4235 times)

Socrates

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
  • literally, I've seen the end in a vision; DEADLY!
    • TEOMCROTE
Re: Matt Powers
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2019, 06:52:54 AM »
Love his work, subscribed and enjoying his energy. Not only that, got me a copy of Steiner's √°griculture book' because he finally explained to me how imporant it is/was.
survival database
location, civilisation reboot, PERMACULTURE, postcataclysmic soil, Growing Soil 1.01

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Matt Powers
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2019, 01:59:59 PM »
Love his work, subscribed and enjoying his energy. Not only that, got me a copy of Steiner's √°griculture book' because he finally explained to me how imporant it is/was.

Socrates, great stuff,
keep sharing your knowledge here. :)

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Microfarming
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2019, 04:36:41 PM »
The Provident Prepper, and husband and wife prepping team, share this three-part video series on how to begin a survival garden:

Survival Garden Design Basics for Preppers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqw17C4_xw

Best Crops to Grow in a Survival Garden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VnmQuVnalQ

How to Create a Survival Food Forest in Your Own Backyard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzECT4rWS6c

Failure is not an option when your ability to feed your family depends on you.

https://theprovidentprepper.org/

Book:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 05:09:08 PM by R.R. Book »

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2019, 05:06:20 PM »
Here's a good book recommended by the Deep South Homestead Youtube channel:

The Backyard Homestead Seasonal Planner: What to Do & When to Do It in the Garden, Orchard, Barn, Pasture & Equipment Shed

The book is available in either a spiral-bound edition or .pdf on Amazon.

I have the first book in the series: The Backyard Homestead, but wouldn't it be nice, especially for newcomers to homesteading, to have a schedule all mapped out?

It seems that microfarming / homesteading firmly anchors us to the natural rhythms of the earth, so that it's difficult to think according to a man-made timetable.  Those rhythms become internalized to the extent that our waking, sleeping, working, playing, planning, budgeting, and social life revolve around them.

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2019, 02:17:39 PM »
Maybe that seasonal planner would truly help newbies especially, as they really have no clue about when to plant, or often even how.  In fact, whenever I chat with my farmer friend, Shirley, and the subject of gardening by the moon comes up, she will often say that, "next Thursday..."  or perhaps "...beginning Sunday night for three days, you can dig garlic...".

I have asked her how she knows this stuff in her head, and she said she would teach me, but we're both busy and it will probably happen, but in the meantime, I'm sort of clueless, unless I consult my Maria Thun Biodynamic Almanac,  plus old notes I've saved from past moon-planting almanancs.  According to my info., tomorrow is the first of three consecutive days that are good for digging root crops. 

According to one almanac it's best to harvest root crops during "barren" signs, which are aquarius, leo, and virgo.  It's always confusing because according to the 2019 Maria Thun calendar, August 1 is good for planting leafy crops, and the 3rd, good for planting fruits.  Still after all this, I don't see how a person can calculate forward abot planting dates, because sometimes the "sign" lasts for two calendar days, and others, for three.  Do many people automatically know this stuff?

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2019, 05:47:31 PM »
Ilinda, maybe you'd consider devoting a whole thread to gardening by the moon, with periodic updates?  If not, please keep posting that info here - It reminds me of Foxfire Book 4!  :)

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2019, 07:38:35 PM »
That might be possible, after I get the baby guineas grown a bit.  They are not what I expected, which was something similar to chickens.  They are birds, yes, but these guys are as close to wild as it gets.  Maybe because they've never had a guinea mom to guide them around.

In the morning after I let them out, they eat their crumbles for a while, then they basically go "hide" in the tall weeds--weeds I purposely left so they wouldn't be easy prey for hawks, etc.  Maybe it will take longer for them to come around to allowing me to be their friend.  I love them and want to hug them, but OMG, they would run/fly away if I even try to touch them (which has happened already).

So, long story short, after guineas are more predictable, I may start a topic on growing by the moon, or maybe post it here under microfarming.  Still learning....

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2019, 05:15:50 AM »
Looking forward to all of the above, Ilinda!

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2019, 04:55:44 AM »
Microfarms that are more oriented to plant-and-replant culture, rather than stationary perma-crops, will likely be working on a rotation system so as not to end up concentrating soil pathogens in any one location.  This is true of most seed-sown crops.  At the other end of the spectrum is a self-directed forest-farm system, in which plants are encouraged to seed themselves wherever they will thrive.

Danny from Deep South Homestead, who cultivates rotated beds, has the soil of his two main plots of ground professionally analyzed, and is completely surprised by the results, which prove instructive to him as to which amendments to work into his gardens over the autumn, in order to be ready for next spring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERpOZiaVJGI

This is an example of a soil analysis report from another farm:

A sample soil analysis report from another farm
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 05:26:28 PM by R.R. Book »

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2019, 11:57:36 AM »
The idea of soil analysis is very appealing but years ago when we had one done, they told us you could get your sample, move a few feet, and get another sample, only to get two very different readings.

What are others' thoughts?

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2019, 12:23:08 PM »
Ilinda, I wonder if that wide variety of readings comes with more uncropped or multi-cropped land than with ground that had grown monoculture?  My impression is that this particular grower is aiming for monoculture (or a whole lot of each particular main crop), which he might rotate from year to year.  Once he begins addressing the key deficiencies of his test results and amending soil, am guessing his soil composition might even out for those mono-cropped beds and become fairly uniform? 

Jimfarmer

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2019, 02:24:38 PM »
The idea of soil analysis is very appealing but years ago when we had one done, they told us you could get your sample, move a few feet, and get another sample, only to get two very different readings.

What are others' thoughts?

Not surprising.  Nature is seldom uniform or smooth over large regions.  So, I am thinking that good soil management requires a knowledge of the variation in soil properties in a given plot or field.   Same applies to weather over time.  Interesting; I might select that profession in my next incarnation on Earth.

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2019, 05:10:59 PM »
  ;)

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2019, 05:17:05 PM »
Youtube channel Sow the Land follows the work and play of a small family microfarming on 1.5 acre, living in a 1000 square foot tiny home.

I was really impressed with this tutorial for making chocolate pudding from their homegrown sweet potatoes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1deVjFdlZ0

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2019, 02:14:19 PM »
Old-fashioned homesteading chores by the calendar:

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY NOW

In a post-global disaster world, predators and tyrants will have the best two-way radios, and they'll use them to surveil you at a comfortable distance.

What will you have? Signal flares and red bandannas?

If so, when you least expect it, the predators and tyrants will come to take a spoil and they will torture, rape, and kill without mercy.

This is why Radio Free Earth authors Marshall Masters and Duane W. Brayton have an urgent message for everyone with a serious interest in preparedness. That being, analog RF (radio frequency) is the heartbeat of freedom. Accept no substitutes.

Watch our free videos to learn how to stay safe and free with an affordable strategy for two way communication, both near and far.

Welcome to Radio
Free Earth

Why Radio
Free Earth

Post-Disaster
Communications

Citizens Band Radios
for Survival

BUY NOW