Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: Practical creative projects for women  (Read 300 times)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Practical creative projects for women
« on: July 19, 2019, 12:31:18 PM »
It's way too hot this weekend to work in the garden past 7 a.m., or to get any canning done.  That leaves sewing.

Some women aspire to be goddesses, while others are happy just to be able to thread a needle in 15 minutes (I couldn't even get my threader to work today in that amount of time  :( )...

Am experimenting right now with an interesting and sturdy new textile that I just discovered, which I'd never heard of before, and which has some practical applications around the homestead:

"Scuba knit."  No kidding.

Not intended for exploring the ocean, it is both a tough-as-nails and beautiful matte-finish textile that equally resists mildew and ultraviolet radiation, and doesn't even need a ball-point sewing machine needle to work with as other knits would - in other words, it handles more like a medium-weight woven fabric.  So it's nothing like the weird knits from the 1970's such as double-knit and quiana.  It has much of the resilience of Sunbrella fabric, without the price tag, stiffness and patterns limited to bold geometrics, camouflage and tropical "flower-power."

In other words, you can do more subtle homestead design with it, either by machine while the grid is still up or by hand stitching.  I'm using a diminutive old black metal Singer Featherweight that I rescued from a fellow who sells 2nd-hand toys (he had no idea of its value, so it was a bargain) for extra strength, and then doing the finish-work by hand.

These two one-yard pieces of fabric, purchased on sale, gave me some options to think about, as my projects unfold.

I've seen some really nice scuba knit yardage on Etsy recently as low as $1.29 per yard, some with free shipping, so very little cost is involved.

My first project was to remove old badly-mildewed outdoor canvas pillow covers and replace them with scuba knit traced from the discarded cases, with a seam allowance included in the dimensions.  The scuba knit is mostly polyester with a small percentage of spandex, so scarcely any extra margin really needs to be allowed beyond the actual measurement of each pillow form.

These were completed in about half an hour:

I also found an old wicker chair with a big, comfy cushion for meditating in the bee yard, ala Jacquie Freeman style.  It needed a paint job, for which I chose dark green, and will upload a photo as soon as the project is completed :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 02:16:42 PM by R.R. Book »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: Practical creative projects for women
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 01:11:25 AM »
R.R. wow what a beautiful space!
i love the ideas,   :)
Barb T.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 07:03:12 AM »
Thanks Barb!  Please feel free to contribute notes on your own creations too  :)

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 03:22:46 PM »
Thanks Barb!  Please feel free to contribute notes on your own creations too  :)
You're right about not going into the garden in the heat of the day, which these days is "once the sun's up".  So, like you, am looking for tasks that have been postponed for days, weeks, or even years, and one is to make another garden stool like the 20+ year-old one we have that is falling apart.  No matter how makeshift it is, it must have wheels, so when it gets made, will post whatever-the-heck-it-looks-like right here.

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 06:30:08 PM »
What a great project!  Maybe you could post a photo when you're all done?  :)

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 03:57:55 PM »
Still very hot here today, but about to cool down tonight. 

I finished the bee yard meditation chair and cushion cover. 

A litter of feral kittens is born in the woods every year, and they hang out with the hens sometimes.  The paint on the chair was thoroughly dry, but not hard-cured yet, and I found lots of little kitty scratch marks on the paint, but maybe it gives the chair a nice "distressed" look  :)

Am noting the yellow leaf on the chair, and the way that the heat of summer always contains within it the first signs of autumn.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 06:42:10 AM by R.R. Book »

ilinda

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 12:23:57 PM »
Beautiful meditation chair.  Did you make that?  You could hang out your shingle and sell them for a hefty sum!

R.R. Book

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 01:12:44 PM »
Thank you - I didn't do the caning, but rather rescued the chair, painted it and sewed a fresh cover for the cushion.  :)

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY NOW

In a post-global disaster world, predators and tyrants will have the best two-way radios, and they'll use them to surveil you at a comfortable distance.

What will you have? Signal flares and red bandannas?

If so, when you least expect it, the predators and tyrants will come to take a spoil and they will torture, rape, and kill without mercy.

This is why Radio Free Earth authors Marshall Masters and Duane W. Brayton have an urgent message for everyone with a serious interest in preparedness. That being, analog RF (radio frequency) is the heartbeat of freedom. Accept no substitutes.

Watch our free videos to learn how to stay safe and free with an affordable strategy for two way communication, both near and far.

Welcome to Radio
Free Earth

Why Radio
Free Earth

Post-Disaster
Communications

Citizens Band Radios
for Survival

BUY NOW