Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: "The History of the Apron" a keepsake from an old Topic  (Read 204 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
"The History of the Apron" a keepsake from an old Topic
« on: October 24, 2019, 01:54:46 PM »
Author Topic: The History of the Apron  (Read 2123 times)
noproblemo2

The History of the Apron
« on: December 03, 2010, 04:12:11 PM »

The History of 'APRONS'

I don't think our kids know what an apron is.

The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath because she only had a few. It was also because it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and aprons used less material. But along with that, it served as a potholder forremoving
hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids..

And when the weather was cold Grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow,
bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables.
After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men folk knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.

REMEMBER:

Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool. Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill
to thaw.

They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs were on that apron.

I don't think I ever caught anything from an apron - but love...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Montanabarb

Re: The History of the Apron
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 02:56:25 AM »

Then there was the Irish lady with a large brood, who--when needing a time-out from her children--sat in her favorite chair and threw her apron over her head. It was a signal to her children not to bother mama until she reappeared from behind the apron.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

noproblemo2

Re: The History of the Apron
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 05:48:59 AM »

Amazing all the uses an Apron really had. Makes me want to start sewing some again, could be handy for sure.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 02:04:55 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: "The History of the Apron" a keepsake from an old Topic
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 02:04:41 PM »
https://www.theseniorlist.com/blog/grandmas-apron-2/  Grandma’s Apron

Last Updated On: January 25, 2019

The History of Aprons         (Inspired by Tina Trivett's poem, Grandma's Apron)

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 06:12:25 PM »
I love this thread.

When I was young, my mother always sewed matching aprons for the two of us, and I wish I had saved them.  Mother had one very full apron that I didn't have a match for - a green and white gingham.  She had just enough scrap material left over to make a Christmas stocking that is now a family treasure, a Victorian boot with buttons and lace.  That was her own stocking, and she had made distinctive ones for each of us as well, but not from the gingham.

Now here in PA, one thing that I love about the Amish mothers and grandmothers is that they always wear a plain black apron, and I do have one too.  :)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 06:27:28 PM »
I love this thread.

When I was young, my mother always sewed matching aprons for the two of us, and I wish I had saved them.  Mother had one very full apron that I didn't have a match for - a green and white gingham.  She had just enough scrap material left over to make a Christmas stocking that is now a family treasure, a Victorian boot with buttons and lace.  That was her own stocking, and she had made distinctive ones for each of us as well, but not from the gingham.

Now here in PA, one thing that I love about the Amish mothers and grandmothers is that they always wear a plain black apron, and I do have one too.  :)

R.R. this Topic touches my heart, too.
Your post is reminding me of the many cloth aprons, pieces of cloth, patterns, scarves hand- embroidered handkerchiefs of a bygone era...
Wish I had kept more of these momentos.
The idea of a dark-colored apron does sound practical...
I like that and I like cream-colored or beige...
:)

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 08:02:36 PM »
Yes, I too, remember mom and grandma wearing aprons, but mom stopped at some point--maybe she was told it was no longer stylish.  But seeing this is enough to want to make a couple of aprons, as they really have so many functions.  Thinking of how food spills on clothing so easily, so it's like a giant napkin at the dinner table.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 08:45:22 AM »
Yes, I too, remember mom and grandma wearing aprons, but mom stopped at some point--maybe she was told it was no longer stylish.  But seeing this is enough to want to make a couple of aprons, as they really have so many functions.  Thinking of how food spills on clothing so easily, so it's like a giant napkin at the dinner table.

I really like aprons... I only have one, I like it but not how the long ties get all twisted around in the dryer, will have to hang up to air dry. :)
Must admit I sorta stopped using aprons but I really like the secure feeling of wearing a clean one. Seems cleaner in the kitchen and also it protects the clothes so well, easier to focus on the food prep. :)

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY NOW

In a post-global disaster world, predators and tyrants will have the best two-way radios, and they'll use them to surveil you at a comfortable distance.

What will you have? Signal flares and red bandannas?

If so, when you least expect it, the predators and tyrants will come to take a spoil and they will torture, rape, and kill without mercy.

This is why Radio Free Earth authors Marshall Masters and Duane W. Brayton have an urgent message for everyone with a serious interest in preparedness. That being, analog RF (radio frequency) is the heartbeat of freedom. Accept no substitutes.

Watch our free videos to learn how to stay safe and free with an affordable strategy for two way communication, both near and far.

Welcome to Radio
Free Earth

Why Radio
Free Earth

Post-Disaster
Communications

Citizens Band Radios
for Survival

BUY NOW