Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: Cooking with your own freshly grown ingredients  (Read 560 times)

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Cooking with your own freshly grown ingredients
« on: October 26, 2019, 03:01:57 PM »
This thread invites gardeners and microfarmers to share how they are turning their own organically grown (whether certified or not) produce into healthy meals for their families.

You don't need to grow all of your own ingredients in order to post - this is just a challenge to see how many of your own ingredients you can raise yourself.

If you've grown even just one single ingredient all by yourself, without pesticides or herbicides, and used it in a recipe or meal for your family, then please share a post with us  :)

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Cooking with your own freshly grown ingredients
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 03:34:02 PM »
Tonight I was able to use 10 of our own ingredients in a family dinner:

1. Fresh mixed lettuce greens as the base for a salad

2. An egg for muffins

3. Blueberries that I had frozen from this summer

4. Wineberries " "

5. Blackberries " "

6. Strawberries " "

7. Black raspberries " "

8. Raspberries " "

9. Black currants " "

10. Raw honey

This dinner also had a lot of leftover ingredients already on hand, so I didn't need to make a trip to the store, and have been trying to see how long I can go without doing so.  Examples of odds and ends were the bottom of package of honey roasted cashews with sesame seeds, which I chopped up to throw in the salad.  Also some clementines whose peels looked past prime, while inside was still good.  They were diced for the salad, as well as a squishy avocado that wasn't pretty enough inside to serve as-is, but fine with a few dark areas cut out and the green part diced.  The mixed greens tossed with all that plus dressing made a substantial salad.

I had also saved 3 grilled leg-thigh quarters left over from a larger batch that we had purchased from some of our Amish neighbors a week ago, one for each family member (I don't eat dinner).

All the other home-grown ingredients went into the muffins.  I adapted a Betty Crocker recipe for basic muffins in the standard old red book (that page with a zillion permutations of the same recipe), substituting our honey for the sugar.  While some folks recommend a conversion ratio of a half or 2/3 cup honey in lieu of a cup of sugar, I went ahead and sweetened the muffin batter with extra honey, so they would come out tasting somewhere between a bland health-food muffin and a cupcake, which is how they did turn out.  One reason for this is that berries that have been frozen sometimes taste more tart than when freshly picked, and I wanted to offset that.

So the amended recipe for muffins:

1/2 c oil (I used expeller pressed olive oil)
3/4 c milk (I used local raw milk)
1 egg from our hens
1 c raw honey from our bees
2 c unbleached organic Gold and Lite flour, which is a blend of whole wheat and unbleached white flour sold by the Amish
1 T baking powder
1 t sea salt
1 c thawed and drained frozen mixed berries, chopped
Butter for greasing the muffin pan

As soon as the muffins were light brown and firm on top, I pulled them out of the oven and brushed them with organic unsalted butter.

Regarding the mixed berries, which were harvested from June until we hit a 3 week drought in September, my rationale for conserving them was this:

While summer fruits such as watermelon, peaches, nectarines and apricots were in season and available in stores at a reasonable price, I wanted to provide those for the family instead.  Watermelon in particular cleanses and alkalizes the body over several weeks in summer unlike any other fruit, and I want my family to go into winter as tuned-up as possible.  The raw frozen home-grown berries will find many uses in winter, when we will appreciate them even more.  :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 04:16:00 PM by R.R. Book »

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 06:04:14 PM »
Excellent topic/subject.

For now, no pictures, but this year's harvest was mixed bag, with excellent harvests of garlic, sweet potatoes, Purple Peruvian potatoes, Lemme' sweet peppers, Yamiken winter squash, and mediocre harvests of beet, parsnips, tomatoes, tomatillos and cayenne.  Wildlife totally decimated three types of beans.

It is always our goal to serve as many foods as possible that are grown right here.  Not easy, but always a goal and hope to post something before end of year.

And for RR to use 10 of their own ingredients in one meal, well, I'm envious!

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 04:53:36 AM »
Well, if I hadn't made the berry muffins, the number would have been much smaller, so maybe that was a kind of fudge-factor...after all, the total volume of mixed berries used in the recipe was one cup! 

Looking forward to your posts!  :)

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 05:27:09 PM »
OK, here it comes. 
This dish comes completely from our 2019 garden.  Yippee.  The pic was taken minutes after the burner was turned on, so everything was still crisp.  The ingredients are:
Purple Peruvian potatoes
Rolling Ridge sweet potato
Purple skin, white flesh sweet potato
shallots
Lemme' sweet pepper
parsnip
Georgia collards

If I forgot anything, will edit this later. 

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 05:47:30 PM »
What a beautiful skillet dish Ilinda - not to mention nutritious!  :)

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY NOW

In a post-global disaster world, predators and tyrants will have the best two-way radios, and they'll use them to surveil you at a comfortable distance.

What will you have? Signal flares and red bandannas?

If so, when you least expect it, the predators and tyrants will come to take a spoil and they will torture, rape, and kill without mercy.

This is why Radio Free Earth authors Marshall Masters and Duane W. Brayton have an urgent message for everyone with a serious interest in preparedness. That being, analog RF (radio frequency) is the heartbeat of freedom. Accept no substitutes.

Watch our free videos to learn how to stay safe and free with an affordable strategy for two way communication, both near and far.

Welcome to Radio
Free Earth

Why Radio
Free Earth

Post-Disaster
Communications

Citizens Band Radios
for Survival

BUY NOW