Being In It for the Species The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System 
Surviving the Planet X Tribulation

Author Topic: High Cholesterol and High Triglycerides, natural substances to lower them  (Read 252 times)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
I personally am under a lot of pressure to take a statin drug for my high cholesterol.

I was almost going to take it but investigated more on my own. I feel I have FMF (Familial Mediterranean Fever) and the statins would weaken my liver and kidneys, not something I need.!! None of my physicians are knowledgeable about this condition.
Will explain more on that later. Have posted about this genetic condition...carried on teh genes of people with  Sephardic Jewish, Moorish, certain Middle Eastern populations, or  Armenian. It is a vastly under-diagnosed condition in America due to the hidden Sephardic ancestry of many people who think they are "Irish" "Dutch" etc. In Israel they know all about it, since a fairly high percentage of the population has this.  A lot of people have been diagnosed and safely treated for FMF to keep it under control.

NOW, to the main purpose of this Topic:

Products which contain plant sterols, stanols help reduce the bad cholesterol and the high triglycerides...

There are several products on the market. Plant sterols, niacin, cayenne. Some contain an ayurvedic ingredient or two, Indian Gooseberry, and Guggul... Care needs to be taken if using Indian Gooseberry.... google it, more on it later.

I personally am choosing a product which has high user reviews.  5, out of 1-5 ratings.
CHOLESS Control - Reduces LDL Cholesterol Levels and Increases HDL Level - Complete and Natural Formula - Maintains Normal Blood Cholesterol Levels - 60 Capsules
by Healthy Fusion
5.0 out of 5 stars    9 ratings
                   100 mg Guggul a plant extract - guggulsterones
                     50 mg Garlic bulb powder
                     50 mg Cayenne
                     10 mg Policosanol plant extract (sugar cane)

The NIH - National Institute of Health has articles about natural ways to reduce cholesterol and high triglycerides without statin drugs. I may start a separate topic on this. - Barb T.

SEE https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19735187
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 12:03:15 PM by Yowbarb »

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
Re: High Cholesterol and High Triglycerides, natural substances to lower them
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 11:40:45 AM »
PS the formula listed above has guggul may not agree with everyone...

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 05:36:33 PM »
Good for you, Barb, for researching the best tactic for you.  As soon as I get our farm crisis over, I'll search around a bit to find information about how "high cholesterol" is almost a myth, almost but not completely.

True, there is/are families who have incredibly high cholesterol readiings, such as nearly 1,000, instead of perhaps 190, but those people are truly in a minority (genetic or familial hypercholesterolemia).

But for the most part, since BigPharma nowadays sets a lot of the standards on what condition needs to be medicated, and if so, what type, and how much, they have lowered the upper limit of healthy cholesterol to the point where more and more people are being put on statins.

I notice in some of my old medical lab books from several decades ago that normal total cholesterol is often listed as being in the range of 150-250 mg/dl.  Specifically, in one book,Interpretation of Diagnostic Tests, 1986,  by Jacques Wallach, M.D., the normal values of serum cholesterol are listed as:
                       male        female
cord                 45-98      45-98
1 day -1 years   65-175    65-175
1-19 yrs           120-200  120-217
20-29 yrs         120-240  120-218
30-39 yrs         140-270  140-240
40-49 yrs         150-280  150-263
50-59 yrs         160-290  169-290
>= 60 yrs        160-300  160-320

There is also information on triglycerides which I can add when time permits.

One student of cholesterol, Stephen Sinatra M.D., has appeared in/on various venues and as a cardiologist, he has studied cholesterol and its effects and importance for the body, and has published on the subject as well.  Another source of info. might be Stephanie Senaff, Ph.D., whose main emphasis might  be vitamin D, but I thought she also studied cholesterol as well.

Also, the late author of Lipitor, Thief of Memory, Duane Graveline, M.D., Ph.D., and astronaut, detailed how a statin drug nearly destroyed his memory, and then detailed how eventually the statins that he took, but discontinued, he claimed "will end my life prematurely" by "giving me a variant of ALS".  He had a website, not sure if it's still up, but on that website he discussed statins at length and many of their actions, including removing cholesterol from the brain.  Well, cholesterol is an important part of the brain, and is needed in all neurons.  It is important for cell membrane flexibility and should never be removed from the brain.

Statins can cross the blood:brain barrier in most people, and in the rare individuals who are the exception, maybe their nerve cells are not harmed.  But for most people taking statins, they should be told of the potential for "memory loss", which is a polite way of saying "beginning of dementia".

But statins are not particular in where they get their cholesterol.  They just grab on to it and ferry it out of the body (in simple terms).  Dr. Graveline wrote his book after he had two "bouts" with statins that his doctor insisted he needed, but after suddenly losing his memory, he stopped taking the statin.  Doc encouraged him to start statins again, which he did, with disastrous results.  I believe Dr. Graveline has since died, unfortunately, as he had a lot of good information for helping people take better charge of their lives.

Will post more if time permits.

Jimfarmer

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 08:08:40 PM »
True, there is/are families who have incredibly high cholesterol readiings, such as nearly 1,000, instead of perhaps 190, but those people are truly in a minority (genetic or familial hypercholesterolemia).

My readings have always been around 300.  Low-normal blood pressure.  Good Health.  (Parasites were causing problems. Fixed)

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 03:51:58 PM »
Jim, did you ever learn specifically what kind of parasites they were?

Jimfarmer

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 06:58:39 PM »
Jim, did you ever learn specifically what kind of parasites they were?

Tape-worm, roundworm, and Flukes.

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 03:58:21 AM »
ilinda, wow that is some interesting article, thanks for posting.
At any rate I have decided what product to get (nutritional) and not going to be on statins and see how my labs turn out in a few months...

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 03:59:37 AM »
ilinda, I already have some memory problems, not going to ad statins to the mix, thanks for that data.

This is the approximate formula I will be on soon...

Ingredients: 50 mg Niacin,
                   400 mg plant sterol complex
                   100 mg Guggul a plant extract - guggulsterones
                     50 mg Garlic bulb powder
                     50 mg Cayenne
                     10 mg Policosanol plant extract (sugar cane)

Yowbarb

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
  • Reaching For Survival
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 04:33:27 AM »
Yowbarb Note: More info is on the site below.

https://www.healthline.com/health/high-cholesterol/natural-cholesterol-reducers

9 Natural Cholesterol Reducers

Niacin

Soluble fiber

According to the Mayo Clinic, the recommended daily amounts of fiber are:
•   men 50 and under: 38 grams
•   men over 50: 30 grams
•   women 50 and under: 25 grams
•   women over 50: 21 grams
The good news, if you’re struggling with cholesterol, is that soluble fiber is probably in foods you already enjoy:
•   orange: 1.8 grams
•   pear: 1.1 to 1.5 grams
•   peach: 1.0 to 1.3 grams
•   asparagus (1/2 cup): 1.7 grams
•   potato: 1.1 grams
•   whole wheat bread (1 slice): 0.5 grams
•   oatmeal (1 1/2 cups): 2.8 grams
•   kidney beans (175 milliliters, approximately 3/4 cup): 2.6 to 3 grams

Psyllium supplements [Barb Note: Apparently some people are allergic to the psyllium so it gives them gas and bloating]

Phytosterols  Phytosterols are waxes derived from plants. They prevent your intestines from absorbing cholesterol. They’re naturally present in whole grains, nuts, fruits, and vegetables.

Soy Protein

Soy beans and foods made with them can lower LDL cholesterol a little.

Tofu, soy milk, and steamed soy beans are a good source of lean protein, which means eating them instead of a fatty food like beef can reduce the overall cholesterol in your diet.
Garlic

Red yeast rice
Red yeast rice is white rice that has been fermented with yeast. It’s eaten and used as a medicine in China.
Some red yeast rice supplements have been shown to lower cholesterol, because they contain monacolin K. This has the same chemical makeup as lovastatin, a cholesterol-lowering medicine.
However, you won’t find monacolin K in the red yeast rice sold in America because the FDA https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25897793 ruled in 1998 that monacolin K was a medicine and couldn’t be sold as a supplement.
You can still find red yeast rice supplements, but they don’t contain monacolin K.
Red yeast rice Trusted Source may also cause kidney, liver, and muscle damage

Ginger

One 2014 study [Trusted Source https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25897793 ] showed that ginger can lower your total cholesterol and triglycerides levels, while a study Trusted Source conducted in 2008 showed that it can reduce your LDL cholesterol levels and boost your HDL cholesterol.
You can take ginger as a supplement or powder or simply added, raw, to food.

Flaxseed
Flax is a blue flower grown in temperate climates. Both its seeds and the oil drawn from them are good sources of omega-3 fatty acids, which have a number of health benefits, including raising your HDL cholesterol levels.
To get the biggest health boost from flaxseed, use its oil or eat flaxseed ground, not whole. Our bodies can’t break down the shiny outer shell of the seed.

[Yowbarb Notes on the flaxseed oil: It had sort of a linseed oil-ish taste or like turpentine slightly but I didn't mind that.
I definitely felt better when it was part of my diet. I liked it on five grain mixture, cooked hot. I added a couple teaspoons to the cooked grains
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 04:56:53 AM by Yowbarb »

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 05:07:09 AM »
A couple of problems with red yeast rice are:

1. Because one doesn't know the conditions under which it was harvested, it should be considered a non-standardized dose.

2. Because it may contain naturally occurring prescription dose lovastatin in an unspecified quantity, it should always be accompanied by Co-Q 10 to prevent rhabdomyolysis, which can occur at a rapid pace and may or may not be reversible. 

« Last Edit: Today at 05:11:18 AM by R.R. Book »

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 05:09:25 AM »
Jim, Do you have any insights into how they were acquired?  How did you get rid of them?  Did you actually see any of them?

Jimfarmer

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 02:16:13 PM »
Jim, Do you have any insights into how they were acquired?  How did you get rid of them?  Did you actually see any of them?

Acquired:  Not sure.  Maybe while living in the tropics 1985-1997.  Or, one neighbor salvaged expired food often (don't know how) and sometimes shared it with me.  He died suddenly two months ago, and his apartment had to be "sanitized" (don't know details).

RiddingMimosa Pudica capsules and herb mixtures specific for parasites.  30-day regimen twice.

Seen:   Yes.  Two roundworms once, and the others several times.

Symptoms are the same, or nearly so, as for pre-diabetes.  Much better now.

ilinda

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 04:57:50 PM »
There have been several articles indicating research shows that as humans age, those with low cholesterol are at higher risk for certain cardiovascular events; conversely, elders with elevated total cholesterol are less likely to suffer the same C-V evemts at the same rate, and somehow it is thought that elevated cholesterol in elders is healthier.  One such article is below:

https://www.healthinaging.org/blog/new-wisdom-about-high-cholesterol-treatment-for-adults-aged-80-and-older/

New Wisdom about High Cholesterol Treatment for Adults Aged 80 and Older

Posted on February 4, 2019 by HIA Guest Blog

Journal of the American Geriatrics Society Research Summary

Experts know that in adults younger than 65, having high cholesterol levels in your blood can raise your risk for heart attacks and strokes. However, in adults 80 years old and older, researchers have not—until now—thoroughly studied high cholesterol’s impact on heart disease, your ability to function well, or your risk for death.

In fact, some research shows that a higher level of total cholesterol and a lower level of so-called “bad” cholesterol (also known as “low-density lipoprotein” or LDL cholesterol) might be helpful in protecting your ability to perform daily activities and preserving your life for longer.

What’s more, it appears that having low cholesterol is linked to a higher risk of death from cancer, respiratory disease, and accidents in adults aged 80 and older. It also appears that the benefits of taking medications known as statins, which lower cholesterol, may lessen as people age. Researchers even have a phrase for this phenomenon. They call it the “risk factor paradox.” This describes the fact that for adults aged 80 and older, having some conditions that are considered health risks in younger adults predicts better survival. These conditions include having higher total cholesterol, higher blood pressure, and higher body mass index (BMI, a ratio of body weight to height that helps determine whether you are overweight or obese).

“Triglycerides” are one type of blood fat that your body uses for energy. High levels of triglycerides can raise risks for heart disease in younger adults. However, we don’t know as much about the risks to adults aged 80 and older, or whether high levels of triglycerides can affect their risks for disability or even death.

A team of researchers in China decided to learn more about whether current triglyceride-level guidelines make sense for people aged 80 and older. To do so, the team explored links between triglyceride levels and the ability to perform daily self-care activities, cognitive function (the ability to think and make decisions), and frailty (a condition associated with aging that increases the risks of poor health, falls, disability, and death. Signs of frailty include weakness, weight loss, and low activity levels.). Researchers also looked at whether triglyceride levels had an impact on death in a group of 930 Chinese adults aged 80 or older.

The researchers learned that for the oldest people in the study, having a higher triglyceride level was linked to a lower risk of cognitive decline, less of a reduction in the ability to perform daily tasks, less frailty, and lower risk for death.

The researchers said their results challenge current thinking that having high triglyceride levels is a risk factor for age-related chronic disorders and death. The researchers said their study suggested that, after the age of 80, taking medication to lower cholesterol may not have much—or any—benefit.

This summary is from “Triglycerides paradox among the oldest old: ‘The lower the better?’” It appears online ahead of print in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. The study authors are Yue-Bin Lv, MD; Chen Mao, MD, PhD; Xiang Gao, MD, PhD; Zhao-Xue Yin, MD; Virginia Byers Kraus, MD, PhD; Jin-Qiu Yuan, MD, PhD; Juan Zhang, MD, PhD; Jie-Si Luo, MD; Yi Zeng, PhD; and Xiao-Ming Shi, MD, PhD.

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 05:11:26 AM »

Acquired:  Not sure.  Maybe while living in the tropics 1985-1997.  Or, one neighbor salvaged expired food often (don't know how) and sometimes shared it with me.  He died suddenly two months ago, and his apartment had to be "sanitized" (don't know details).

RiddingMimosa Pudica capsules and herb mixtures specific for parasites.  30-day regimen twice.

Seen:   Yes.  Two roundworms once, and the others several times.

Symptoms are the same, or nearly so, as for pre-diabetes.  Much better now.

Amazing Jim! 

Roundworms will appear in freshly broken eggs from hens that aren't getting DE/French clay in their diet.  Store-bought eggs are probably from hens on Ivermectin.

Aren't you curious about the cause of your neighbor's death?

R.R. Book

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 05:16:22 AM »
I'm glad to see this, esp. as the brain is composed of cholesterol.

Surviving the Planet X Tribulation: A Faith-Based Leadership Guide

Radio Free Earth: Community Preparedness and Two Way Radios

BUY NOW

In a post-global disaster world, predators and tyrants will have the best two-way radios, and they'll use them to surveil you at a comfortable distance.

What will you have? Signal flares and red bandannas?

If so, when you least expect it, the predators and tyrants will come to take a spoil and they will torture, rape, and kill without mercy.

This is why Radio Free Earth authors Marshall Masters and Duane W. Brayton have an urgent message for everyone with a serious interest in preparedness. That being, analog RF (radio frequency) is the heartbeat of freedom. Accept no substitutes.

Watch our free videos to learn how to stay safe and free with an affordable strategy for two way communication, both near and far.

Welcome to Radio
Free Earth

Why Radio
Free Earth

Post-Disaster
Communications

Citizens Band Radios
for Survival

BUY NOW