Win-Win Survival Communities The Kolbrin Bible Complete Danjeon Breathing System Radio Free Earth

Author Topic: Current condition of Sol  (Read 718 times)

R.R. Book

• Members
  • Prolific Member
Current condition of Sol
« on: December 07, 2019, 01:45:22 PM »
Vice published a story a few days ago about what NASA's Parker Probe recently discovered about the sun: that its current wind speeds exceed any previous models of what was believed to be possible for the sun:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/gyzzxj/nasas-solar-probe-found-things-near-the-sun-that-we-cant-explain

Scientists say the unexplained rogue waves and high winds mean we are “missing something really fundamental in our standard models of the Sun.”

However, the story also featured a startling SDO image of our sun gone dark, which would seem to be the greater story, though nothing was said about it:

Dr. Claudia Albers has recently published papers announcing that our sun has gone dark, but this was the first time that I'd seen an actual photo of it.

Referred by Best Damn Podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQNyX515hHY

« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 03:48:46 PM by R.R. Book »

Jimfarmer

Re: Current condition of Sol
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 12:20:06 AM »
However, the story also featured a startling SDO image of our sun gone dark, which would seem to be the greater story, though nothing was said about it:

Could that image be for some particular narrow wavelength band that sees flares only?
The article does not provide source reference.  (Unprofessional journalism.  Common problem.   Uneducated author or deliberate disinfo?)

R.R. Book

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 07:44:49 AM »
Vice is a joint Canadian and American techie alternative news outlet that has been around for a quarter century.  Here's the link provided by the article for the sources referenced in Nature journal, which is 150 years old this year (est. 1869):

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-03665-3

The author, Becky Ferreira, is a science and tech reporter who has been contributing to Vice since 2013.  As an old English and journalism teacher myself (until I went to grad school for a career in social work), I feel that her articles are well-written, though brief, and appear to faithfully link appropriate science journals and technical news media.

Will reiterate that the story in Vice was not about the sun going dark.  It was the incidental SDO photo that captured my attention.  NASA sometimes posts visuals and then later removes them, but I agree that we might have benefited from a photo link.

It would seem difficult to justify referring to a mere photo as "disinfo" posted by an "uneducated" author, who writes in a coherent manner, compared with much of what clumsily passes for journalism these days. 

Can you explain more about special photography that can make the sun appear dark?  That might be educational for all of us, as I'm not aware of it.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 08:18:34 AM by R.R. Book »

Jimfarmer

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 02:02:48 PM »
It would seem difficult to justify referring to a mere photo as "disinfo" posted by an "uneducated" author, who writes in a coherent manner, compared with much of what clumsily passes for journalism these days. 

This is the credit for the image that is given in the article.
"The Sun. Image: NASA/SDO"
It is not a link, however, so I cannot read/check it for myself.  Not pro level tech reporting.

Will reiterate that the story in Vice was not about the sun going dark.  It was the incidental SDO photo that captured my attention.  NASA sometimes posts visuals and then later removes them, but I agree that we might have benefited from a photo link.

Why include an image that is irrelevant to the topic of the article?   Not pro level tech reporting.

Can you explain more about special photography that can make the sun appear dark?

Some telescopes, both land-based and in space, detect radiation in wavelength bands that are outside of human visual detection.  E.g, ultraviolet, gamma, radio, infrared, X-ray, etc.

Ref. "It takes more than one kind of telescope to see the light" at https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/1999/features/ast20apr99_1

Here is a snip from "SOHO solar and heliospheric observatory"   at https://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/gallery/Movies/flares.html  that shows a green Sun except for bright flares.
[ATTACHMENT Dec8-2019_sample_images_from_SOHO_website.JPG]

Somewhere in the Internet you can view images of the Sun in wavelengths selected from a menu.  "Suspicious Observers" does that sometimes. 

R.R. Book

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 02:46:02 PM »
What specific type of light / telescope would you say photographed that image Jim?  Are there similar images that you can show us, as examples? 

Jimfarmer

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 04:20:18 PM »
What specific type of light / telescope would you say photographed that image Jim?  Are there similar images that you can show us, as examples?

Here is an image similar to the one in question.
[ATTACHMENT Dec8-2018_The_Sun_in_X-Rays_undated.JPG]
From http://solar.physics.montana.edu/YPOP/Spotlight/Today/xray.html

The Sun has been relatively quiet recently, if I remember commentary correctly. so I am guessing that there was a moment when only a few flares were emitting X-rays, and that produced the image in question.

R.R. Book

• Members
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 09:00:25 AM »
Jim, I'm posting to the admins board to begin a conversation about some in-house issues that this thread has brought up. 

Yowbarb

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 11:06:39 AM »
Jim, yes, please join in on the discussion there, which R.R. mentioned.
Unfortunately I will be gone off the board for a few hours but please read what is posted there and sorry for personal family and health reasons today, have not even been able to really read and sort out this topic.
Wishing You all the Best,
Barb Townsend

Home Study System

Home Study System
Save 30%

BUY NOW

The ideal win-win survival community library reference system offers a broad range of valuable survival skills and knowledge. Ideal those in preparedness, it provides in-depth knowledge about how to form communities and operate two-way communications.

For human needs, it also includes a low-impact energy self-healing art and an essential role for seniors in survival communities.

A special note for those of you living outside the United States, we optimized this system for the lowest possible Priority Mail costs.

4 Paperbacks and 6 DVDs

Win-Win Survival Communities Signed

Radio Free Earth Color (Color Editon) Signed

Complete Danjeon Breathing System w/6 DVDs

Survival Wellness Advocacy and the BIG WIN

BUY NOW